Grant Newell in the Portal

10,315 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Alkiadt
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskidunker said:

Intuit said:

Cal transfer Grant Newell has received interest from the following programs:

DePaul
Wyoming
Colorado State
Tulsa
ECU
VCU
Wichita State
Penn State
Rice
UAB
Arizona State
New Mexico
Saint Louis
Saint Mary's
Stanford
Charlotte
[url=https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1773470383636664773/photo/1][/url]

[url=https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1773470383636664773/photo/1][/url]

Maybe we an make a trade with the fraud
I'll take Raynaud for Newell.
calumnus
Intuit said:

DePaul
Wyoming
Colorado State
Tulsa
ECU
VCU
Wichita State
Penn State
Rice
UAB
Arizona State
New Mexico
Saint Louis
Saint Mary's
Stanford
Charlotte

Not a bad list.
oski003
Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

BerkeleyBAT said:

Currently, I would say, Jayson Tatum, Brandon Ingram and Paolo Banchero for starters. A quick google search yields dozens of players of varying levels of NBA contribution, many of which were solid players for multiple seasons (I am not counting Kyrie Irving, who was hurt most of his only year at Duke).

True. Although the "dozens of players of varying levels of NBA contributions", generally speaking, had not particularly memorable, or especially impactful, NBA careers. So from Tatum, Ranchero, Ingram, Grant Hill, and Zion, and maybe one or two others - over Coach K's nearly 40-year HC career - that would be comparatively low impact, compared to various NC, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, or HCs of other college programs. Jmo, though.

and...
Kyrie Irving
Elton Brand
Christian Laettner
JJ Reddick
RJ Barrett
Carlos Boozer
Gary Trent Jr
Rodney Hood
Shane Battier
Corey Maggette, etc...

Pretty much journeyman, all. I never said "non-existent." I said "not particularly memorable or impactful. And since Kyrie left Duke following a freshman year during which he he was injured for most of it, and hardly played, Coach K can't claim, or be given, credit for "developing" Kyrie. Boomer was probably the most impactful. But still a multi-team journeyman who won't sniff Springfield. Same with JJ.

Barrett, a 23 year old SF is averaging 19.4 PPG, 5.3 REB, 3.1 AST, and 48.7 FG% is a journeyman.

Boozer earned two All-Star selections and was named to the All-NBA Team for the 2007-2008 season.

Elton Brand enjoyed a 17-year professional career that included co-Rookie of the Year (2000), NBA All-Rookie (2000), All-NBA (2006; 2nd team), NBA All-Star (2002 & 2006).

OK. Wasn't Barrett a "one and done"? Does Coach AK get credit for developing a player who just "passed through" Duke on his way to the NBA? And, do you imagine Boozer or Brand being inducted into Springfield, independent of their college careers? They were solid, journeyman pro players.

Since we appear to be having a very high bar for impactful NBA player, let's just clarify that most "impactful" NBA players never spent more than one year in college, if at all.

I agree with you on that point. With a few exceptions like the 4-year Stanford (and Cal) guys under Mongomery and some of the Braun guys, and Bobby Knight guys, and the 4-year players that came before the rules changed, and the deluge of early entrees and "straight-out-of-high-school" players. But prior to that, there were the Kareem Abdul-Jabbars, and Jamal Wilkeses, and Rick Barrys, Jerry Wests, Elgin Taylor's, James Worthys, Pistol Petes and Larry Birds , etc., of the NBA, who were actually "developed" by their college coaches, as opposed to having to be developed by their NBA teams after bailing on college to become early entrees into "The League." Can't give their college coaches credit for the development of many, if any, of those early entry guys.

What the heck are you talking about? What 4 year players under Montgomery made an impact in the NBA?
Big C
oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

BerkeleyBAT said:

Currently, I would say, Jayson Tatum, Brandon Ingram and Paolo Banchero for starters. A quick google search yields dozens of players of varying levels of NBA contribution, many of which were solid players for multiple seasons (I am not counting Kyrie Irving, who was hurt most of his only year at Duke).

True. Although the "dozens of players of varying levels of NBA contributions", generally speaking, had not particularly memorable, or especially impactful, NBA careers. So from Tatum, Ranchero, Ingram, Grant Hill, and Zion, and maybe one or two others - over Coach K's nearly 40-year HC career - that would be comparatively low impact, compared to various NC, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, or HCs of other college programs. Jmo, though.

and...
Kyrie Irving
Elton Brand
Christian Laettner
JJ Reddick
RJ Barrett
Carlos Boozer
Gary Trent Jr
Rodney Hood
Shane Battier
Corey Maggette, etc...

Pretty much journeyman, all. I never said "non-existent." I said "not particularly memorable or impactful. And since Kyrie left Duke following a freshman year during which he he was injured for most of it, and hardly played, Coach K can't claim, or be given, credit for "developing" Kyrie. Boomer was probably the most impactful. But still a multi-team journeyman who won't sniff Springfield. Same with JJ.

Barrett, a 23 year old SF is averaging 19.4 PPG, 5.3 REB, 3.1 AST, and 48.7 FG% is a journeyman.

Boozer earned two All-Star selections and was named to the All-NBA Team for the 2007-2008 season.

Elton Brand enjoyed a 17-year professional career that included co-Rookie of the Year (2000), NBA All-Rookie (2000), All-NBA (2006; 2nd team), NBA All-Star (2002 & 2006).

OK. Wasn't Barrett a "one and done"? Does Coach AK get credit for developing a player who just "passed through" Duke on his way to the NBA? And, do you imagine Boozer or Brand being inducted into Springfield, independent of their college careers? They were solid, journeyman pro players.

Since we appear to be having a very high bar for impactful NBA player, let's just clarify that most "impactful" NBA players never spent more than one year in college, if at all.

I agree with you on that point. With a few exceptions like the 4-year Stanford (and Cal) guys under Mongomery and some of the Braun guys, and Bobby Knight guys, and the 4-year players that came before the rules changed, and the deluge of early entrees and "straight-out-of-high-school" players. But prior to that, there were the Kareem Abdul-Jabbars, and Jamal Wilkeses, and Rick Barrys, Jerry Wests, Elgin Taylor's, James Worthys, Pistol Petes and Larry Birds , etc., of the NBA, who were actually "developed" by their college coaches, as opposed to having to be developed by their NBA teams after bailing on college to become early entrees into "The League." Can't give their college coaches credit for the development of many, if any, of those early entry guys.

What the heck are you talking about? What 4 year players under Montgomery made an impact in the NBA?

Mark Madsen? Brevin Knight? Okay, we need to define "impact"...
calumnus
Big C said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

BerkeleyBAT said:

and...
Kyrie Irving
Elton Brand
Christian Laettner
JJ Reddick
RJ Barrett
Carlos Boozer
Gary Trent Jr
Rodney Hood
Shane Battier
Corey Maggette, etc...

Let set the bar at:
"Drafted and had an NBA career as a starter"?

Brevin Knight
Jason Collins
Allen Crabbe

A number of Monty's Stanford guys like Madsen got drafted and stuck around the NBA as bench guys.
oski003
calumnus said:

Big C said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

BerkeleyBAT said:

and...
Kyrie Irving
Elton Brand
Christian Laettner
JJ Reddick
RJ Barrett
Carlos Boozer
Gary Trent Jr
Rodney Hood
Shane Battier
Corey Maggette, etc...

Let set the bar at:

Brevin Knight
Jason Collins
Allen Crabbe

A number of Monty's Stanford guys like Madsen got drafted and stuck around the NBA as bench guys.

The standard for Coach K set above seems to require more than two all star teams and second team NBA to be impactful. They seem to require hall of famers, although NBA Hall of Fame as a member of the Dream Team doesn't count either
calumnus
oski003 said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

BerkeleyBAT said:

and...
Kyrie Irving
Elton Brand
Christian Laettner
JJ Reddick
RJ Barrett
Carlos Boozer
Gary Trent Jr
Rodney Hood
Shane Battier
Corey Maggette, etc...

Let set the bar at:

Brevin Knight
Jason Collins
Allen Crabbe

The standard for Coach K set above seems to require more than two all star teams and second team NBA to be impactful. They seem to require hall of famers, although NBA Hall of Fame as a member of the Dream Team doesn't count either

Ok, we've digresses. The original point was about Coach K as a "developer" of talent. I think we all agree that if Newell went to Duke under Coach K he would just ride pine. Perfect example is Jamal Boykin.

The issue of Dukie success in the NBA is seperate. I think we can all agree that in general, Duke, and Duke players, have been far more successful in college than they have been in the NBA. Exceptions of course. That speaks to Coach K's legend as a college coach beyond recruiting.

Coach K and Monty are both master strategists who mostly succeeded with very high level college players playing well together as a team.

Monty at Cal brought in plenty of similar tall athletic guys that he never developed. Actually he didn't develop the best athletes at Stanford either. He was best at developing big relatively un athletic guys into really strong, serviceable low post players.
cal83dls79
calumnus said:

Intuit said:

DePaul
Wyoming
Colorado State
Tulsa
ECU
VCU
Wichita State
Penn State
Rice
UAB
Arizona State
New Mexico
Saint Louis
Saint Mary's
Stanford
Charlotte

Not a bad list.
they must need a mediocre player to come off the bench. Also what defines "interest" and where does this list come from?
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
bearmanpg
oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

BerkeleyBAT said:

and...
Kyrie Irving
Elton Brand
Christian Laettner
JJ Reddick
RJ Barrett
Carlos Boozer
Gary Trent Jr
Rodney Hood
Shane Battier
Corey Maggette, etc...

Michael Ray Richardson....maybe the wrong impact....

Pittstop
bearmanpg said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

BerkeleyBAT said:

and...
Kyrie Irving
Elton Brand
Christian Laettner
JJ Reddick
RJ Barrett
Carlos Boozer
Gary Trent Jr
Rodney Hood
Shane Battier
Corey Maggette, etc...

The Lopez brothers are still making an impact. Madsen won an NBA Championship. Brevin Knight had a cup of coffee. Jason and Jarron Collins. Landry Fields. Larry Krystkowiak, at Wyoming. And he had a former all conference guard who's now an assistant coach with the Warriors. I mean, he wasn't pumping them out like Coach Cal at Kentucky, but he was actually "developing" meh hs players and average white guys into NBA talent.
Big C
^^^ I was thinking of the Lopez brothers, too, but then I looked them up and they were post-Monty. ^^^
Alkiadt
Pittstop said:

bearmanpg said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

oski003 said:

Pittstop said:

BerkeleyBAT said:

and...
Kyrie Irving
Elton Brand
Christian Laettner
JJ Reddick
RJ Barrett
Carlos Boozer
Gary Trent Jr
Rodney Hood
Shane Battier
Corey Maggette, etc...

The Lopez brothers are still making an impact. Madsen won an NBA Championship. Brevin Knight had a cup of coffee. Jason and Jarron Collins. Landry Fields. Larry Krystkowiak, at Wyoming. And he had a former all conference guard who's now an assistant coach with the Warriors. I mean, he wasn't pumping them out like Coach Cal at Kentucky, but he was actually "developing" meh hs players and average white guys into NBA talent.

Larry K played For Montgomery at Montana, not Wyoming.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.