Season review - part 1

588 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 4thGenCal
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal's 13-19 record disappointed everyone including coach Madsen.

Remarkably, 9 games were single possession or OT losses (won 4 one possession or OT games). That's almost half our games decided on last shot.

New coach, new system, lots of new players - it took Madsen time to figure out schemes, lineups and roles. This is common for teams with lots of transfers such as Oregon, but even Altman had players who've been in the system for awhile. With transfer portal, Cal isn't alone (Georgetown w/ new coach finished 9-23, 10th in a weak Big East).

Also, we played most of our OOC games without 1 or 2 starters. Kennedy missed 8-11 OOC games, Celestine missed OOC 5-11 games, Tyson missed first game.

Bowser and Larson replaced the starters:
- Bowser (32 min vs MTSU in 3 pt loss, 17 min. vs SDSU in DoubleOT loss). His combined line for those games were 0-4 for zero points, 9 rebounds (101 total OOC minutes - 3 points).
- Larson did better (90 total OOC minutes, 21 points, 18 rebounds).

I'm not down on Bowser and Larson as they contributed on defense and were helpful depth, but with Kennedy or Celestine getting those minutes, I think we win those games.

One season goals was to change the narrative on Cal basketball.

Our overall record didn't show that but I think the best measure of progress is our conference play. We beat every Pac12 team except AZ and Utah (only played Utah once at Utah), finishing tied for 6th for a top-half finish.

bearister
I look for Larson to be much improved next year and a player of consequence his senior year. He is graceful, can put the ball on the floor and has some moves. At 6'10, you can make a dent with that skill set.

Do we have him as long as we want him? I don't keep up on the bolters.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
4thGenCal
bearister said:

I look for Larson to be much improved next year and a player of consequence his senior year. He is graceful, can put the ball on the floor and has some moves. At 6'10, you can make a dent with that skill set.

Do we have him as long as we want him? I don't keep up on the bolters.
Yes - Great young man - big locker room supporter and knows he has to put on strength/lbs. Still a PWO and on the bubble for a scholarship, if available scholarships not filled this upcoming season. Realistically can help with depth, but likely won't be a 15 minute/game+ player until the following season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.