Celestine in Portal

18,569 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Big C
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

BC Calfan said:

That's what Mark Fox is now hahahaha
Sebastarbear> Fox

Not fair to Sebasta because

Bag of rocks > Fox

It is like

$1 million > kick in the nuts
Oakbear

Assuming you are not a masochist .. and many Cal fans may have a streak of that in their blood
calumnus
Oakbear said:

Assuming you are not a masochist .. and many Cal fans may have a streak of that in their blood

I wouldn't know but I am willing to bet it doesn't cost $1 million as there are many out there willing to provide that service for free.

Just like finding someone as clueless and incompetent as Jim Knowlton to make horrible decisions that will cost us many tens if not hundreds of $millions doesn't cost a $1.3 million a year.
Gobears49
ManBearLion123 said:

This is an absolutely massive loss.

All the other departures didn't significantly affect next season's outlook, but Celestine leaving certainly does. I'm not sure how Madsen could possibly rebuild this roster in a single offseason to the point that we are even close to a bubble team.
Likely triggered by NIL. People will soon appreciate, when this happens to their team almost every year, the pre-NIL years when you could count on which players we hacw coming back into the next year. But I'm surprised so many are not coming back just because Madsen made so many of them much better players than before.
SFCityBear
Gobears49 said:

ManBearLion123 said:

All the other departures didn't significantly affect next season's outlook, but Celestine leaving certainly does. I'm not sure how Madsen could possibly rebuild this roster in a single offseason to the point that we are even close to a bubble team.
Likely triggered by NIL. People will soon appreciate, when this happens to their team almost every year, the pre-NIL years when you could count on which players we hacw coming back into the next year. But I'm surprised so many are not coming back just because Madsen made so many of them much better players than before.
Who exactly did Madsen make better than before? Are we now to praise him for doing so, while not long ago the previous Cal coach was being accused of running off players, as though it were criminal. NIL has sure changed everything.
SFCityBear
calumnus
Bobodeluxe
Woke? You may need a nap.
stu
SFCityBear said:

Gobears49 said:

ManBearLion123 said:

Who exactly did Madsen make better than before? Are we now to praise him for doing so, while not long ago the previous Cal coach was being accused of running off players, as though it were criminal. NIL has sure changed everything. The word, "woke" comes to mind.
I don't know how much Madsen had to do with it but I think Tyson and Celestine played better this season than before.
RedlessWardrobe
SFCityBear said:

Gobears49 said:

ManBearLion123 said:

Who exactly did Madsen make better than before? Are we now to praise him for doing so, while not long ago the previous Cal coach was being accused of running off players, as though it were criminal. NIL has sure changed everything. The word, "woke" comes to mind.
SF City, I know a little about basketball, I know even less about politics, but forgive me, I'm not understanding the "woke" correlation here. Could you possibly explain it? (Again, if I'm being clueless I apologize.)
BeachedBear
RedlessWardrobe said:

SFCityBear said:

Gobears49 said:

ManBearLion123 said:

SF City, I know a little about basketball, I know even less about politics, but forgive me, I'm not understanding the "woke" correlation here. Could you possibly explain it? (Again, if I'm being clueless I apologize.)
Please don't. Take it to the OT board, please.
RedlessWardrobe
BBear, not trying to stir things up, I really didn't quite get it.
I think you're right, no need to get into it. I withdraw my inquiry.
SFCityBear
RedlessWardrobe said:

SFCityBear said:

Gobears49 said:

ManBearLion123 said:

No need for you to apologize about anything. If anyone should apologize, it is me. I admit to a real brain cramp here, and that is my ignorance of the meaning of the word. I wanted to refer only to the breaking down of many of the rules and laws we used to respect and live by. Now all that has changed, and we are living very different lives. I meant nothing political at all, as I know full well how easy it is to offend. I have removed the offensive sentence from my post, with apologies to all who read it. And I especially thank you all for your tolerance.
SFCityBear
RedlessWardrobe
All good SFCity. As MacLean likes to say, "Let's move on."
brevity

SicEm365 is a Baylor fan site with an F5 Sports message board almost identical to this one. From their article:

Quote:

Celestine is the third transfer portal commitment of the cycle, joining forward Norchard Omier (Sr.) from Miami and guard Jeremy Roach (Sr.) from Duke. The California transfer chose the Bears over Illinois, Auburn and UCF...

With forward Jalen Bridges (Sr.) heading to the NBA Draft, Celestine will provide an ability to stretch the floor with elite shooting; he also has the size to give Drew and the coaching staff plenty of options to mix and match. Celestine and four-star forward Jason Aseomta (Fr.) will give Baylor the ability to stretch the floor with size from the three and four positions.

Baylor looks to be a Top 5 or 10 team next year, but so do fellow Big 12 teams Kansas, Houston, and Iowa State.
wifeisafurd
brevity said:

SicEm365 is a Baylor fan site with an F5 Sports message board almost identical to this one. From their article:

Quote:

Celestine is the third transfer portal commitment of the cycle, joining forward Norchard Omier (Sr.) from Miami and guard Jeremy Roach (Sr.) from Duke. The California transfer chose the Bears over Illinois, Auburn and UCF...

With forward Jalen Bridges (Sr.) heading to the NBA Draft, Celestine will provide an ability to stretch the floor with elite shooting; he also has the size to give Drew and the coaching staff plenty of options to mix and match. Celestine and four-star forward Jason Aseomta (Fr.) will give Baylor the ability to stretch the floor with size from the three and four positions.

Baylor looks to be a Top 5 or 10 team next year, but so do fellow Big 12 teams Kansas, Houston, and Iowa State.
I would add Arizona in there. Baylor probably is 5 or 6 on too early predictions for the B12. Celestine landed at a good program.
Johnfox
Feels like the Jordan Mathews transfer
HoopDreams
Very good player and teammate

Sad we lost him. He landed in a very good place for him. Not surprised at all

Good luck to him

stu
Celestine got a Cal degree, an opportunity to play with a NCAA Tournament team, and presumably a graduate program and NIL deal he likes. Well played!
DaveT
stu said:

Celestine got a Cal degree, an opportunity to play with a NCAA Tournament team, and presumably a graduate program and NIL deal he likes. Well played!
He wanted more money and minutes. It's not clear he'll get either of those. It is clear he'll have to live in Waco.
Growler91
Celestine is going to a national title contender (#5 in ESPN pre-season rankings). Would have welcomed a Celestine return to Cal, but it's not clear that he would make the top 8 on the current Cal roster, which is loaded with better wings. My guess is he will likely play a bench role for Baylor.
Big C
Growler91 said:

Celestine is going to a national title contender (#5 in ESPN pre-season rankings). Would have welcomed a Celestine return to Cal, but it's not clear that he would make the top 8 on the current Cal roster, which is loaded with better wings. My guess is he will likely play a bench role for Baylor.

Let's hope our new wings are better than Celestine. He was a decent player for us last season, w/o being 100%.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.