New Commit: Kevin Armstrong II 6'6 Guard/Wing

6,311 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Basketball Bear
BC Calfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003
Gratz!

Does anyone have a link to his 247 or rivals profile?
stu
I saw on a couple of sites he had a 3.89 (out of 4) GPA at Breck School in Minneapolis. They won the state title.

MN Boy's Basketball Hub shows stats for him in 2022-23 but not 2023-24. Maybe he was injured?
[url=https://www.mnbasketballhub.com/stats/team_instance/9324012?subseason=913977&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=5536016][/url]https://www.mnbasketballhub.com/stats/team_instance/9324012?subseason=913977&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=5536016
Intuit
Boys Varsity Basketball - Breck Athletics

State Champion team
Harborview
sluggo
That tweet is, well, an exaggeration. Below is a youtube posted by the recruit. But since that was posted 7 months ago I posted another 2 months ago. He looks like he could be interesting in a couple years.

BearlyCareAnymore
sluggo said:

That tweet is, well, an exaggeration. Below is a youtube posted by the recruit. But since that was posted 7 months ago I posted another 2 months ago. He looks like he could be interesting in a couple years.

Hard to find much info, but honestly, high school recruits aren't worth anything if they won't stay on the team long enough to get some run, so I think you have to look for recruits who seem like they have reason to stay. Children of an alum, local kid, or in this case good student who probably values the educational opportunity Cal has to offer. Seems like he has good physical attributes. Get him in and develop him.
RedlessWardrobe
FWIW, usually when we draft 6-6 shooters they are thin in frame. This young man looks like he has a touch of bulk and strength - for a change. Obviously nothing is conclusive, but in the short sample size provided, I like what I see.
GoldenBasketBear
Seems like a preferred walk-on commit, similar to Gus Larson last season.
Gkhoury2325
He reminds me of Theo Robertson, not explosive but finds his spot on the court and has a nice shot and get his shot off. He has long arms which will help for rebounds and guarding the perimeter; especially, since the perimeter defense was poor this season.
sluggo
RedlessWardrobe said:

FWIW, usually when we draft 6-6 shooters they are thin in frame. This young man looks like he has a touch of bulk and strength - for a change. Obviously nothing is conclusive, but in the short sample size provided, I like what I see.
True. But he seems like he is going to have to be in the gym for a year or two before he can compete.
Caseydort545
I wonder if he is getting any NIL money? Not too much information about him…
Berenstain Bears
Yes, rehabbed this year, good kid, strong and getting stronger. Underutilized in 2022-2023 season lots of upside. Academically solid, High EQ.
Berenstain Bears
Agreed!
Mel
From a long suffering Bear, happy to see this from Prep Hoops on Armstrong:

It was opening night at Prep Hoops Live! PHD watched many talented players. We saw Kevin Armstrong (2024) |6'6 Fl Minnesota Heat Jones 2024
He is long and looks like a forward but Kevin has a floater game like Steve Nash! He put in multiple floaters/runners inside the arc.
Armstrong has a soft touch and he knows how to use his body to keep the D away from the ball. He put in multiple buckets via the step-through move. He is crafty and skilled.
Kevin can also hit the 3-ball. He looks to be a tough matchup with his length and skill.
calumnus
Welcome Kevin!
Caseydort545
Why does he not have a rivals or 247 page??
BC Calfan
Faraudo reporting he's a walk-on:

https://www.si.com/college/cal/walk-on-commits-to-Bears

sluggo
BC Calfan said:

Faraudo reporting he's a walk-on:

https://www.si.com/college/cal/walk-on-commits-to-Bears

Makes sense. I was thinking that it makes less sense to fill the back of the roster with scholarship players. Get some good walk-ons who know a scholarship is available and see what happens.
parentswerebears
That is a great idea. I hope the staff brings in some really hungry guys.
oskidunker
I have heard the walk on hype before. Non of them ever play. Aka Jack McCloskey
Go Bears!
oski003
oskidunker said:

Former Cal Walk-on Ryan Forehan-Kelly is now a coach with the Brooklyn Nets.
RedlessWardrobe
oski003 said:

oskidunker said:

Former Cal Walk-on Ryan Forehan-Kelly is now a coach with the Brooklyn Nets.
One helluva shooter!
HoopDreams
Larson played. Last year Robinson played.

Before them, other Walk-ons played for Martin, Monty and Braun

oskidunker said:

parentswerebears
I forget, but wasn't there a point guard in the early 200s who started out as a walk on and ended up being a starter his senior year?
OneKeg
parentswerebears said:

I forget, but wasn't there a point guard in the early 200s who started out as a walk on and ended up being a starter his senior year?
AJ Diggs maybe?
Californication
Diggs (2-year walk-on) came to mind for me as well, but Martin Smith (3-year walk-on) went that route as well. I liked Diggs a lot but was frustrated he ever started as our PG, even over Martin Smith who was a true PG, albeit not amazing. Drove me crazy! Diggs was a great defensive spark off the bench, though. Going through those rosters just now really reminds me of just how much I liked Ben Braun's teams, as flawed as they / he were. But if the college versions of these guys played for us right now, we would all be pretty ecstatic, and this was the 17W and 16L dumpster fire that got Braun fired:

R. Anderson
Christopher
Hardin
Randle
Boykin
Verneisel
Harper Kamp
Nikola Knezevic
J. Wilkes
Nican Robinson
David Liss

There might be 7-8 guys there that would have started for us last year, especially considering our ball handling situation.
bearister
Was RFK a walk on? My gosh was he solid player at the end.
Ryan Forehan-Kelly - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Forehan-Kelly

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
bearister said:

Was RFK a walk on? My gosh was he solid player at the end.
Ryan Forehan-Kelly - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Forehan

That was a long time ago.
Go Bears!
Civil Bear
Californication said:

Diggs (2-year walk-on) came to mind for me as well, but Martin Smith (3-year walk-on) went that route as well. I liked Diggs a lot but was frustrated he ever started as our PG, even over Martin Smith who was a true PG, albeit not amazing. Drove me crazy! Diggs was a great defensive spark off the bench, though. Going through those rosters just now really reminds me of just how much I liked Ben Braun's teams, as flawed as they / he were. But if the college versions of these guys played for us right now, we would all be pretty ecstatic, and this was the 17W and 16L dumpster fire that got Braun fired:

R. Anderson
Christopher
Hardin
Randle
Boykin
Verneisel
Harper Kamp
Nikola Knezevic
J. Wilkes
Nican Robinson
David Liss

There might be 7-8 guys there that would have started for us last year, especially considering our ball handling situation.

IIRC, Smith committed as a walk-on with the guarantee of a scholly as a soph.

Diggs started a few games over Shantay, which drove his mom crazy.
RedlessWardrobe
Californication said:

R. Anderson
Christopher
Hardin
Randle
Boykin
Verneisel
Harper Kamp
Nikola Knezevic
J. Wilkes
Nican Robinson
David Liss

I mentioned this on another thread. I understand how A.J. Diggs could drive you crazy, but you have to realize that Ben Braun knew that A.J. could drive opposing point guards crazy when he was guarding them. If the guy had only had a 12 foot shot, what a player he would have been.
Bobodeluxe
Who could possibly forget Kyle Campanelli?
RedlessWardrobe
Bobodeluxe said:

Who could possibly forget Kyle Campanelli?
I've tried my best to.
hoopsallday
Found another video on the Minneapolis guy. Looks like a big physical player who can also spread the floor with his shot.

hoopsallday
found an interesting video that showed his proof

Big C

^ Thanks for posting here. We all hope Keven does really well at Cal!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.