Madsen has his work cut out for him

2,296 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Oakbear
Oakbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
the three current new hires are all pretty raw and need a lot of coaching up ..

I hope that he can pull in 1-2 more that are more prolific scorers, but getting a bunch of new guys to play well together is no easy task ..

If what he has next year stick around for another year, he might have something going
concernedparent
I believe these are rotation pieces or non-focal point starters. I like that they are high upside guys with two years of eligibility each. Now we might have to re-recruit them at the end of the year but easier to recruit the player you already know.
DaveT
No doubt it's a challenge, but lots of programs are facing similar issues. I'm confident Madsen and his staff have a plan and would not have signed the recent recruits unless they felt they could contribute. My concern isn't Madsen, his staff, their plan, their ability to evaluate talent, or their ability to coach. It's NIL. If Madsen gets the NIL funds he needs (something we can all help with by supporting CALegends current fundraising drive), I think we'll be happily surprised at how well this team competes in the ACC this season.
Johnfox
Stojakovic is Madsen's number one target. Sharavjamts is also one he wants badly. Both are playmakers that can score with high upside
concernedparent
Johnfox said:

Stojakovic is Madsen's number one target. Sharavjamts is also one he wants badly. Both are playmakers that can score with high upside
Yes both high upside, but also unproven.
stu
concernedparent said:

Johnfox said:

Same as Madsen. And Lyons. Should be an interesting ride.
bearister
Are the cost of season tickets going to fluctuate each year based on portal success/failure?

Like the Oakland A's, a new roster to memorize each year.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Basketball Bear
concernedparent said:

Johnfox said:

I will take the high upside with these two. I was hoping for Sharavjamts last year. He handles the ball well and looked good in running the offense. He likes to get his teammates involved. Looks unselfish. I was surprised he entered the portal.
dha
It is disappointing that we could not do a better job of recruiting high school players this year. How are we going to build a strong core for the future otherwise? We don't have the wallet to compete for the top portal players that is quite clear. Tyson was a great get last year, but the odds of getting a first round draft choice to the NBA again are low. Our first season in the ACC is going to be challenging if not out right ugly.
calumnus
dha said:

It is disappointing that we could not do a better job of recruiting high school players this year. How are we going to build a strong core for the future otherwise? We don't have the wallet to compete for the top portal players that is quite clear. Tyson was a great get last year, but the odds of getting a first round draft choice to the NBA again are low. Our first season in the ACC is going to be challenging if not out right ugly.

HS recruiting is generally a longer process than the transactional nature of the portal. A year ago Madsen was busy putting together last years' team, so jumping in late on HS recruiting for Cal (Utah Valley is a different pool). Moreover, Madsen can't take the time to develop players, he needed, and needs to make an impact NOW, to demonstrate upward momentum and be able to land top recruits. Finally, with the portal, there is a strong risk you lose players you develop just as they are fulfilling there potential. Worse is the risk you bring on somebody who takes a scholarship and roster spot for 4 years without getting off the bench.

All together, that tips the scale towards portal players at this time.

I am very confident Madsen will up his recruitment of HS players who really want to spend 4 years at Cal as time goes on.
concernedparent
dha said:

How do high school players help in this day and age? They are unproven. And good prospects cost lots in NIL while unheralded ones often contribute nothing early on. And once they perform they'll get poached by other teams with big NIL offers anyway.
bearchamp
Freshman can be very good and big contributors if given the opportunity. High school seniors often improve rapidly as their bodies mature, again, if given the opportunity. Lots of very good players are unheralded coming out of high school.
bearchamp
Jeremy Lin is a food example.
bearchamp
Good example.
oskidunker
bearister said:

Are the cost of season tickets going to fluctuate each year based on portal success/failure?

Like the Oakland A's, a new roster to memorize each year.

I doubt they raise prices until we have a winning record

Go Bears!
concernedparent
bearchamp said:

Freshman can be very good and big contributors if given the opportunity. High school seniors often improve rapidly as their bodies mature, again, if given the opportunity. Lots of very good players are unheralded coming out of high school.
Of course. In a world where productive players aren't poached mercilessly at the conclusion of each season, I would prefer to recruit predominantly around high schoolers. Good prospects that have high ceilings and P5 D1 level floors cost a ton of money already. The ones that don't cost a lot of money have low floors and unknown ceilings. Stars and recruiting pedigree aren't everything, but they matter. For every Jorge and Andre Kelly, there's a lot more Brandon Chauca's, Kaileb Rodriguez's, Deschon Winstons', and basically everyone Fox recruited. Our best players recruited from high school have been mostly highly sought after (Powe, Ryan Anderson, Patrick Christopher, Crabbe, Wallace, Brown, Rabb, Bird, Mathews, Matt Bradley, Justice Sueing, etc.).
concernedparent
bearchamp said:

Damian Lilliard is an even better example. And if he played college in this day and age I just about guarantee you he would not finish his career at Weber State.
Gobears49
concernedparent said:

I believe these are rotation pieces or non-focal point starters. I like that they are high upside guys with two years of eligibility each. Now we might have to re-recruit them at the end of the year but easier to recruit the player you already know.
Wonder what the transfer rate is in the NIL era is for basketball compared to pre-NIL rate. Personally, i love the pre-NIL years, as I like to not have to get to know as many new players. Also, hate to have more of my favorite players leaving Cal and have to learn about more new players coming in part (or mostly) because of NIL. I'm not a fan of NIL. Wouldn't it be great if it did not exist.
BeachedBear
bearchamp said:

He's a Hot Dog
sosheezy
BeachedBear said:

bearchamp said:

He's a Hot Dog
He does have an Ike's Sandwich - "Linsanity is a turkey sandwich outfitted with voodoo heat chips, Godfather sauce, Sriracha, havarti, and avocado"
Oakbear
I'm not a fan of NIL. Wouldn't it be great if it did not exist.

wouldn't it be great if Ego and Greed did not exist .. or for that matter, war/famine/pestilence, etc

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.