Gonzaga to the PAC

2,533 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by concordtom
MiZery
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gonzaga leaving West Coast Conference to join Pac-12, source told
@ActionNetworkHQ
. Pac-12 still needs minimum of two football members by 2026, but Gonzaga, even w/out a football team, will receive a full conference revenue share in Pac-12, source said
brevity
Or not.

calumnus
They need football schools. Gonzaga brings them nothing there. I am also not sure Gonzaga remains a basketball power after Few.

They had three options: 1) merge with the MWC and avoid buyouts, 2) get commitments from a majority of the MWC (leaving out whomever they want left out) and have them vote to dissolve the MWC or 3) continue the "scheduling agreement" and play your cards close to the vest until the MWC GORs expires.
ColoradoBear
calumnus said:

They need football schools. Gonzaga brings them nothing there. I am also not sure Gonzaga remains a basketball power after Few.

They had three options: 1) merge with the MWC and avoid buyouts, 2) get commitments from a majority of the MWC (leaving out whomever they want left out) and have them vote to dissolve the MWC or 3) continue the "scheduling agreement" and play your cards close to the vest until the MWC GORs expires.

You forgot option 4 which is take just enough teams so that neither conference has enough teams to meet minimums and sue the MWC to get out of the poaching penalty after agreeing to it just a year ago.
calumnus
ColoradoBear said:

calumnus said:

You forgot option 4 which is take just enough teams so that neither conference has enough teams to meet minimums and sue the MWC to get out of the poaching penalty after agreeing to it just a year ago.

That is the current failing strategy that likely ends up with 2 weak western G6 conferences and a lot of money going to lawyers on lawsuits.
parentswerebears
Zags to P12.
calumnus
parentswerebears said:

Zags to P12.

They still need a football school and will probably go after another MWC school.

MWC added UTEP but Texas State turned them down. I bet they go after North Texas, UTSA, Rice or Tulsa next.

RedlessWardrobe
I know everything is for $$$. That being said, the whole college football/basketball conference switches, between conference geographical and numerical names that don't make any sense, coupled with the fact there are scenarios in which some conferences have teams that play one sport only, has made this entire series of events for an older sports fan like me completely laughable.

And if that wasn't enough, there are certain teams like Hawaii (I think) that play in one conference for football and another one for basketball. Then there's Notre Dame that is a "half independent."

It's just all so ridiculous and funny.
BC Calfan
And don't forget this is all for TV $ and it's more difficult than ever to watch all your favorite team's games.
calumnus
BC Calfan said:

And don't forget this is all for TV $ and it's more difficult than ever to watch all your favorite team's games.

Is it? Seems A LOT easier to me.
BC Calfan
Well as a Cal fan, I missed the Davis game because I don't have ESPN+---there were numerous long threads on how difficult it was to get it. Then B10 has the ongoing carriage dispute with Xfinity. Disney has a dispute with Charter which affects a lot of CFB.
calumnus
BC Calfan said:

Well as a Cal fan, I missed the Davis game because I don't have ESPN+---there were numerous long threads on how difficult it was to get it. Then B10 has the ongoing carriage dispute with Xfinity. Disney has a dispute with Charter which affects a lot of CFB.

I have watched every game this year live for the first time since I moved to an island in the western Pacific.

The PAC-12 Network was a disaster.
sycasey
BC Calfan said:

Well as a Cal fan, I missed the Davis game because I don't have ESPN+---there were numerous long threads on how difficult it was to get it.
You didn't need to pay for ESPN+, you just needed a service that carried ACC Network. Wasn't difficult at all.
ColoradoBear
sycasey said:

BC Calfan said:

Well as a Cal fan, I missed the Davis game because I don't have ESPN+---there were numerous long threads on how difficult it was to get it.
You didn't need to pay for ESPN+, you just needed a service that carried ACC Network. Wasn't difficult at all.

It was confusing as hell for some, but not difficult if one used the proper log in.
sycasey
ColoradoBear said:

sycasey said:

BC Calfan said:

It was confusing as hell for some, but not difficult if one used the proper log in.

Yup, that's it. Go to the ESPN app and log in with your cable/satellite/streaming TV provider. You can find the games there.
82gradDLSdad
Oh, I thought you were talking about the good old days when ABC had the afternoon game: USC vs ????

Never saw Cal growing up.
smh
Quote:

sycasey > Yup, that's it. Go to the ESPN app and log in with your cable/satellite/streaming TV provider. You can find the games there.
um, what's an app? signed, lifelong mobile-less in cupertino
sycasey
smh said:

Quote:

> Yup, that's it. Go to the ESPN app and log in with your cable/satellite/streaming TV provider. You can find the games there.
um, what's an app? signed, lifelong mobile-less in cupertino

You can also use the ESPN website and do the same.
barsad
For those like me who don't like paying the cable company for useless bundles just to get ESPN… try Sling and add the sports package, you'll get every game for a lot less $$ and can cancel during the off season.
concordtom
82gradDLSdad said:

Oh, I thought you were talking about the good old days when ABC had the afternoon game: USC vs ????

Never saw Cal growing up.

Lol
concordtom
ColoradoBear said:

sycasey said:

BC Calfan said:

It's called "Phone a Friend"
**** the ****ers!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.