Virginia Needs A New Mens Basketball Coach

1,233 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by BeachedBear
Eastern Oregon Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tony Bennett, age 55, retires as Virginia Mens Basketball Coach effective immediately. I didn't see that coming. I wonder what brought that about.

Bobodeluxe
He is not a big fan of professional minor league basketball.
bearsandgiants
I believe his heart is set on SF.
cal93
"I think it's right for student-athletes to receive revenue. Please don't mistake me," he said Friday. "The game and college athletics is not in a healthy spot. It's not. And there needs to be change, and it's not going to go back. I think I was equipped to do the job here the old way. That's who I am.

"It's going to be closer to a professional model. There's got to be collective bargaining. There has to be a restriction on the salary pool. There has to be transfer regulation restrictions. There has to be some limits on the agent involvement to these young guys. ... And I worry a lot about the mental health of the student-athletes as all this stuff comes down."

GOOD FOR HIM FOR SAYING THIS......
Golden One
His "retirement" is a real loss for college basketball. It's sad when good guys like him bail because of what college athletics has become.
barsad
The real shame is that probably a majority of NCAA coaches feel the same way Bennett does and should be speaking publicly about it, but they are silenced by all the usual negative incentives: freeze-out by NCAA, negative recruiting impacts, whisper campaigns against them the next time they interview. If you're not retiring there's no freedom to have an honest and transparent debate about what's best for college sports and players. We need an exit ramp before this really is just pro minor league sports with a school brand wrapper.
HoopDreams
The main problem is not that it is a semi-pro league. The problem is it's a semi-pro league with no rules.

100% free agency all the time with no restrictions on transferring or tampering, and no salary cap

barsad said:

The real shame is that probably a majority of NCAA coaches feel the same way Bennett does and should be speaking publicly about it, but they are silenced by all the usual negative incentives: freeze-out by NCAA, negative recruiting impacts, whisper campaigns against them the next time they interview. If you're not retiring there's no freedom to have an honest and transparent debate about what's best for college sports and players. We need an exit ramp before this really is just pro minor league sports with a school brand wrapper.

Go!Bears
barsad said:

We need an exit ramp before this really is just pro minor league sports with a school brand wrapper.

I am afraid that exit was a few miles back…
AunBear89
Go!Bears said:

barsad said:

We need an exit ramp before this really is just pro minor league sports with a school brand wrapper.

I am afraid that exit was a few miles back…

College football and basketball have been unofficial farm systems for NFL, NBA, and shoe companies for decades.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
socaltownie
I hope that he actually does get involved with trying to think through what a reformed system would look like. I fear that what we are going to end up with in a few years is a LOT of young men with:

1) No college degree and a bunch of ****ty articulated credit hours that make degree completion a nightmare for them

2) IRS tax liabilities

3) Related - a lot of frustration that their payments are actually going to the IRS since the educational benefit of their scholarship FAR exceeds the IRS ed benefit cap and thus all those free rides are taxable at a pretty high tax bracket.

PS (on the above - conferences and the NCAA should ABSOLUTELY demand that as part of any salary cap and structured arrangement some of the player money go directly into an IRA at the full max rates possible. It is both good stewardship AND would reduce the bite at the end.)
Take care of your Chicken
NVBear78
Didn't Saban leave Alabama for essentially the same reason?
BeachedBear
NVBear78 said:

Didn't Saban leave Alabama for essentially the same reason?
His argument was more that it leveled the playing field and Alabama's 'recruiting' advantage was not as strong, since everyone was allowed to cheat now and there wasn't enough talent to stockpile at Bama.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.