cal's monster class deux

1,375,774 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
south bender
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mikecohen;842805427 said:

Just an interesting observation. Although he IS so quick, he is also the softest player I've seen in memory - absolutely no herky-jerky; but he is better at finding those holes in the defense than any of the herky-jerkiers [who have to do the herky-jerky in order to make their holes and spaces - which (i.e., breaking ankles) is not really a bad thing; but seeing Charlie create without that is a lot of good things].

How are you defining "soft," mkecohen?
Shocky1

onetime cal recruit carlos johnson is in lorenzo romar's doghouse after giving his coach attitude after being pulled in washington's last game (another loss)...the usually mild romar followed johnson all the way down the bench chewing out his azz & then benched him the 2nd half

when the players start talking back to the coaches, it's usually the begining of the end...as the director of recruiting for the cal basketball program i got a lot of scouting resources & personality metrics to ensure this never happens in berkeley

yeah jemarl, juhwan, trevin & justice have been vetted by me, we're good to go for cal's go all the way up class (2017)...on the other hand remy ma got a probation officer than won't let her take an uber helicopter all the way up, that's a red flag

washington basketball=the titanic#:nono:
Shocky1
check out the linked article re: montera middle school's finest

there's a deeply moving statement from young ivee: "growing up i saw so many people wearing cal sweatshirts in oakland, san leandro, hawyard but nobody was going to cal...not anybody i knew...at the same time i want to put it out there that there are a lot of kids out there that just need the opportunity...they're smart and they'll take advantage of the opportunity...give them a chance"

ivan, we got the same philosophal viewpoint, i believe in the social redistribution of wealth in the united states of america thru educational opportunities for underrepresented groups at elite universities like cal, stanford & the ivy league...and then those graduates giving back & motivating others to support their communities once they earn their degrees, to never forget their roots, to remember who was with them back in the day

social activism that actually works in the real world starts with an educated mind, becoming mentally limitless with academic ambition

truly love both you & asha

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/2/2/inside-the-lair-oaklands-own.aspx

https://vimeo.com/45797764

souls of mischief (lou richie)#
mikecohen
south bender;842805460 said:

How are you defining "soft," mkecohen?

Like (and I use that word as Val-Speak) as opposed to herky-jerky (even though Charlie has good cross-over moves that CAN break ankles). It always seems like he is totally relaxed (even when you can tell that he, as a Freshperson, is being affected by the pressure. Even his quick moves (and some of them, especially those that result in clean, open-court, steals, are so quick I can't even see them after they've happened, except maybe in sol-mo) I think benefit from that totally non-dramatic tone - no stretch, no wow-surprise -- it's almost like nothing happens and Charlie has the ball in his hands with the theft victim just standing there wondering what just happened; and sometimes, to create space by using a screen (or just unpredictability), he'll take a casual step to the left, or a casual few dribbles ACROSS (not into) the lane, and stops (just as casually) and puts up the open shot. Compare what Steph does (or is forced to do) to create space, sometimes 11 zigs and a few zags thrown in - many of them on a dime - almost like trying to watch the puck in hockey (for me a hopeless task). I mean, all in all, Charlie is, I think, a very unusual player, with a style people are not used to seeing; and, FWIW, if you couldn't tell, I really like it - both very human, and mysterious, at the same time.
mikecohen
Shocky1;842805464 said:

onetime cal recruit carlos johnson is in lorenzo romar's doghouse after giving his coach attitude after being pulled in washington's last game (another loss)...the usually mild romar followed johnson all the way down the bench chewing out his azz & then benched him the 2nd half

when the players start talking back to the coaches, it's usually the begining of the end...as the director of recruiting for the cal basketball program i got a lot of scouting resources & personality metrics to ensure this never happens in berkeley

yeah jemarl, juhwan, trevin & justice have been vetted by me, we're good to go for cal's go all the way up class (2017)...on the other hand remy ma got a probation officer than won't let her take an uber helicopter all the way up, that's a red flag

washington basketball=the titanic#:nono:

The way the two guys Colorado didn't play yesterday were yucking it up at the end of the bench, one had the feeling that they were withheld also due to attitude, and that, for whatever reason, they were pushing it (in a losing cause - not good form, what?)
mikecohen
Shocky1;842805483 said:

check out the linked article re: montera middle school's finest

there's a deeply moving statement from young ivee: "growing up i saw so many people wearing cal sweatshirts in oakland, san leandro, hawyard but nobody was going to cal...not anybody i knew...at the same time i want to put it out there that there are a lot of kids out there that just need the opportunity...they're smart and they'll take advantage of the opportunity...give them a chance"

ivan, we got the same philosophal viewpoint, i believe in the social redistribution of wealth in the united states of america thru educational opportunities for underrepresented groups at elite universities like cal, stanford & the ivy league...and then those graduates giving back & motivating others to support their communities once they earn their degrees, to never forget their roots, to remember who was with them back in the day

social activism that actually works in the real world starts with an educated mind, becoming mentally limitless with academic ambition

truly love both you & asha

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/2/2/inside-the-lair-oaklands-own.aspx

https://vimeo.com/45797764

souls of mischief (lou richie)#

FWIW: I don't think the educational opportunities should be limited to the elite institutions. Good examples = (a) back in the day, when there was as much or more intellectual ferment at CCNY as there was at Columbia and/or the other Ivies; or (b) the historically black colleges, which have produced and continue to produce, some of our country's most creative and productive citizens, and (c) all the other schools, and the whole system, of higher education, as it's developed in California, and throughout the rest of the country; and (d) a lot of the small, liberal arts colleges (Antioch, Grinnell, Davidson) that also offer a lot both to and from the students. Education - which the Republicans have been fighting now, since evil Milton Freedman, to destroy in essence, by privatization. --- Oh well, I just couldn't help myself, as usual.
Shocky1
ivan, marching in protests & making signs don't change ****

my hope is that someday asha is the mayor of oakland voted in on a pro education platform & that your the money guy/economic catalyst putting together the biz deals with consortiums to rebuild the infrastructure
philbert
mikecohen;842805487 said:

The way the two guys Colorado didn't play yesterday were yucking it up at the end of the bench, one had the feeling that they were withheld also due to attitude, and that, for whatever reason, they were pushing it (in a losing cause - not good form, what?)

Tad Boyle on Johnson and Gordon's absence: "It's a situation where two really good kids made a bad decision and we had to address it."
HoopDreams
Now I'm really confused

Your definition of 'soft' has no resemblance to the typical use of the word in relation to athletes

And your definition of herky Jerky is also somewhat of a mystery to me.
How do you describe Charlie's ball handling which often results in a defender falling all over themselves, and often results in charlie getting a clean look or drive?

mikecohen;842805484 said:

Like (and I use that word as Val-Speak) as opposed to herky-jerky (even though Charlie has good cross-over moves that CAN break ankles). It always seems like he is totally relaxed (even when you can tell that he, as a Freshperson, is being affected by the pressure. Even his quick moves (and some of them, especially those that result in clean, open-court, steals, are so quick I can't even see them after they've happened, except maybe in sol-mo) I think benefit from that totally non-dramatic tone - no stretch, no wow-surprise -- it's almost like nothing happens and Charlie has the ball in his hands with the theft victim just standing there wondering what just happened; and sometimes, to create space by using a screen (or just unpredictability), he'll take a casual step to the left, or a casual few dribbles ACROSS (not into) the lane, and stops (just as casually) and puts up the open shot. Compare what Steph does (or is forced to do) to create space, sometimes 11 zigs and a few zags thrown in - many of them on a dime - almost like trying to watch the puck in hockey (for me a hopeless task). I mean, all in all, Charlie is, I think, a very unusual player, with a style people are not used to seeing; and, FWIW, if you couldn't tell, I really like it - both very human, and mysterious, at the same time.
Shocky1
#12 ranked virginia cavaliers (18-5) didn't break any ncca recruiting violations 71-55 than the #4 ranked louisville cardinals

alcorn state braves (10-11) out marching banded 75-65 the grambling tigers
mikecohen
HoopDreams;842805507 said:

Now I'm really confused

Your definition of 'soft' has no resemblance to the typical use of the word in relation to athletes

And your definition of herky Jerky is also somewhat of a mystery to me.
How do you describe Charlie's ball handling which often results in a defender falling all over themselves, and results incharlie getting a clean look or drive?

Language is hard! I realize I was describing his best self. When he drives FORWARD (like straight ahead, tunnel vision) into the lane with insufficient vision of what the possibilities are with the next steps, and running out of options way before he realizes it, that, to me, is his least soft. I don't know. I mean, to me, everything is smooth and flowing (which can, at this point in his development, maybe become too easily predictable, especially for big, skilled rim protectors, just waiting for him to show up). Hard is maybe epitomized by Lebron, at one extreme (getting in his way is a fool's errand), and maybe Allen Iverson on the other end (staying with his sharp and fast twists and turns was also probably hopeless). Maybe the subtle differences between Charlie's and Sammy's drives says something. Both, in order to be successful, have to (and, to a certain degree, can, better than most others) see the entire path through the forest to the rim - otherwise they'll both be blocked (even 'tho' Charlie has more finishing skill). But Sam is so much bigger and stronger at this point that part of what he can see is the possibility of overpowering people who don't have a sufficient angle on him, whereas Charlie will ALWAYS have to be able to finesse that gesture at one or more crucial points in the path, and (compared with Iverson again) not just because he's only 5'11", but because he just does not generate that kind of power and speed. For Charlie, it's about magic, having the power to Cloud Men's Birds. One would NEVER say that about Lebron. One MIGHT say that about Bird, Larry. I don't know. I'm trying to express what I think I see. At least I'm trying.
south bender
mikecohen;842805556 said:

Language is hard! I realize I was describing his best self. When he drives FORWARD (like straight ahead, tunnel vision) into the lane with insufficient vision of what the possibilities are with the next steps, and running out of options way before he realizes it, that, to me, is his least soft. I don't know. I mean, to me, everything is smooth and flowing (which can, at this point in his development, maybe become too easily predictable, especially for big, skilled rim protectors, just waiting for him to show up). Hard is maybe epitomized by Lebron, at one extreme (getting in his way is a fool's errand), and maybe Allen Iverson on the other end (staying with his sharp and fast twists and turns was also probably hopeless). Maybe the subtle differences between Charlie's and Sammy's drives says something. Both, in order to be successful, have to (and, to a certain degree, can, better than most others) see the entire path through the forest to the rim - otherwise they'll both be blocked (even 'tho' Charlie has more finishing skill). But Sam is so much bigger and stronger at this point that part of what he can see is the possibility of overpowering people who don't have a sufficient angle on him, whereas Charlie will ALWAYS have to be able to finesse that gesture at one or more crucial points in the path, and (compared with Iverson again) not just because he's only 5'11", but because he just does not generate that kind of power and speed. For Charlie, it's about magic, having the power to Cloud Men's Birds. One would NEVER say that about Lebron. One MIGHT say that about Bird, Larry. I don't know. I'm trying to express what I think I see. At least I'm trying.

Mike, I commend you for trying...

However, I am with HD (as usual). It is hard to make sense of your notions. Bird was not just smart, maybe the smartest player I have witnessed, with almost an infinite amount of shots. Also, he was tough and 6-9. "Magic"? "Cloud Men's Birds"? Come on, Mike, you can do better than that?

Iverson? One of the fastest ever to walk on a court, with incredible reflexes and toughness. Hardly a comparison for Charlie (whom I love).

Charlie is far from a finished product, but he is a great Cal freshman, getting better as the season progresses, at both ends of the court. He has special skills of his own, as HD has described.
Shocky1

why does cal match up well with asu despite the short week?

1) with the mid year transfer of sam cuncliffe, bobby "off to the races" highest ranked recruit thus far, the devils are basically playing their starters most of the game with minimal bench support...now that everybody is healthy (dontae is gonna be ready to attack wednesday nite) the bears are a signficiantly deeper team which is important from a starter's fatigue & foul problem restricted playing time perspective

2) unlike the utah & colorado games which were 1st time battles for this season, the staff has already schemed & gameplanned for asu...the only material differences from that bears victory are that k(rooks) is gonna be ready to bang an undersized defender & that dontae is now in the playing rotation...the #1 key areas of emphasis for a cal victory will be to aggressively close out the asu 3 point shooters on defense & impose their will be pounding the ball inside on offense, arizona state got no answer for ivan rabb

3) unlike the cold azz trip to eugene & corvallis, it's gonna be in the 60s & 70s for the bears when they arrive in tempe tomorrow...it's gonna be like summertime, shooters love to be en fuego

4) this is not a road game, it's kinda like a neutral site with shocky, taylor & her girlfriend julianna screaming their azzs off in support of the bears in creating unreal gameday energy at wells fargo arena

the world according to shocky (no travel this week)#:crazy:crazy:crazy:crazy:crazy
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Cal has won 7 of the last 8 games

but that doesn't mean anything if we drop the next game to ASU
gotta stay hungry. no easy win in the Pac12, especially on the road[/SIZE]

mikecohen
south bender;842805564 said:

Mike, I commend you for trying...

However, I am with HD (as usual). It is hard to make sense of your notions. Bird was not just smart, maybe the smartest player I have witnessed, with almost an infinite amount of shots. Also, he was tough and 6-9. "Magic"? "Cloud Men's Birds"? Come on, Mike, you can do better than that?

Iverson? One of the fastest ever to walk on a court, with incredible reflexes and toughness. Hardly a comparison for Charlie (whom I love).

Charlie is far from a finished product, but he is a great Cal freshman, getting better as the season progresses, at both ends of the court. He has special skills of his own, as HD has described.

Maybe we're actually getting somewhere. But, preliminarily: "Cloud Men's Birds" was a comedy corruption of the popular, old-timey radio slogan for The Shadow (who had the power to "Cloud Men's Minds"). Mentioning Larry Bird and Iverson may help with the compare and contrast. Iverson was closer to Charlie's size; AND, for exactly the reasons you suggest, I was using him as a severe contrast to Charlie's game. That is, Charlie will NEVER be anything close to that fast; but, as a believer in Charlie's future, he does accomplish (and will accomplish much more) much of what Iverson did, by very different and contrasting means --- Means much more aligned with Larry Bird's. Charlie is a VERY smart player; and I think that being here, at this University, is what is really going to allow him to be NBA smart and skilled by the time he graduates here. His smarts are similar to Larry Bird's, and he is tough, like Larry Bird - even though almost a foot shorter. You see the toughness in the way he is never even close to injury despite the major collisions and spills he suffers. Tho' I think also that his softness helps in that as well. I.e., he knows how to land. He doesn't have hard landings (like Don Coleman did a few games ago - and I hope puts that in his education to not only never do again, but LEARN how never to do it again, i.e., to not be that much out of control (although appearing reckless is certainly part of his extraordinary game). Somehow I have every confidence that Charlie will develop that plethora of shots that will justify at the subsequent levels the "best Illinois H.S. player" label that reflected his superiority at that level. So, the contrast is with Iverson (who is similar is size, but not soft), and the comparable soft style is with Larry Bird (despite the major differences in size and development), who did everything smoothly and magically. I just don't see anything in Charlie's future besides further great developments of what is a singular talent.
concordtom
I'll admit it.
I sometimes will drink, even on a Monday.
HoopDreams
Shocky1
justice, congrats on your 50 year decision, sincerely hope you take full advantage of this unique educational opportunity & also build 50 year friendships with your future teammates & coaches...and make no mistake about it, you & me are both mutts

Shocky1;842675152 said:

who are these guys on the california golden bears basketball team?...do you wanna be a part of all of this?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price ($75,000,000 4 year contract with the portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
jeff powers*-3.6 gpa@delasalle
ricky kreklow*-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
david kravish*-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace*-3.5 gpa@bakersfield (nba development league with the utah jazz)
christian behrens*-3.5 gpa@tahoma
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews*-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
kingsley okoroh-3.0+ gpa@westwind prep/findlay prep
stephen domingo-3.4 gpa@st ignatius
brandon chauca-3.85 gpa@shannon forest christian school
cole welle-4.37 gpa@aptos
nick hamilton-4.2 gpa@westchester
brenden glapion*-4.1 gpa@washington
dwight tarwater*-3.9 gpa@webb school
ivan rabb-3.15 gpa@bishop o'dowd
jaylen brown-3.1 gpa@wheeler ($21,404,269 4 year contract with the boston celtics)
nick kerr*-3.9 gpa@torrey pines
roman davis-3.5 gpa@winward
dontae coleman-3.3 gpa@lawson state
grant mullins-3.31 gpa@columbia (ivy league)
charlie moore-3.86 gpa@morgan park
jemarl baker-3.6 gpa@roosevelt
marcus lee-3.5 gpa@kentucky
juhwan harris dyson-3.0 gpa@heritage christian
derek king-3.7 gpa@foothill
koko kurdoghlian-3.6 gpa@la canada
trevin knell-4.0 gpa@wood cross
justice sueing jr-3.8 gpa@mater dei

*will graduate/graduated from cal joining 2012 grads bak bak, brandon smith & robert thurman

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract..patrick christopher, justin cobbs & richard solomon all have around one+ remaining semester of schoolwork necessary to earn their cal degrees...as the wise marco harris once told me, men take care of their business

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with stanford and the ivy leagues most noteably harvard

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball

this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) in today's highly competitive global economy and legitimate collegiate institutions of higher learning with an academic purpose...if you go to an academically mediocre school like kentucky, oregon, arizona or utah & get injured you are ******

academic ambition is a beautiful thing, it will open doors in business after basketball is done with you & help you meet the girl of your dreams (and you're not thinking about it now but it will also help you raise intellectually curious children someday)...don't be a dumb azz

curvy brunette yoga females with flat stomachs from academically mediocre schools wanna date & marry cal, stanford & ivy league grads when they enter the real world, that's just the way of the world

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including samoa & hawaii)
HoopDreams

SBGold
concordtom;842805292 said:

Two way street, my friend.
Constant sexualization of women has nothing to do with hoops.
So, this father of 5 girls expresses his dissenting view. No, I don't choose to look the other way. It's inappropriate and a personal jab at me just the same.
Society is changed one step at a time.

Shocky looked excellent in Blue yesterday. That's an earnest compliment!!

As for adding to the hoops discussion, please see my recent "props" thread. One of MANY threads on basketball I contribute.
Have a nice day.

Spare us, you have posted similar female oogling posts yourself, and if you consider those personal jabs, that is snowflake personified.

Citing your props thread is hardly a contribution, it's basically a "hey, good job guys" post. Shocky actually goes to games and has insights about and from players and coaches. That's adding to the discussion.
concordtom
SBGold;842805812 said:

Spare us, you have posted similar female oogling posts yourself, and if you consider those personal jabs, that is snowflake personified.

Citing your props thread is hardly a contribution, it's basically a "hey, good job guys" post. Shocky actually goes to games and has insights about and from players and coaches. That's adding to the discussion.

I'll have to man up and make better posts from now on.
Thanks for the suggestions and advice.
Welcome to BearInsider, SBG. It took you all of 46 posts to identify and engage your frienemies! Well done! I know that's what some people use chat boards for - to argue.
BTW: What do you think Cal's record will be the rest of the way?
And what do you think of our roster for next year? How's it lookin'?
SBGold
concordtom;842805837 said:

I'll have to man up and make better posts from now on.
Thanks for the suggestions and advice.
Welcome to BearInsider, SBG. It took you all of 46 posts to identify and engage your frienemies! Well done! I know that's what some people use chat boards for - to argue.
BTW: What do you think Cal's record will be the rest of the way?
And what do you think of our roster for next year? How's it lookin'?

I'm a bit worried, I call 3-4 for the rest of the way. Rabb has not been dominate like I would like to see and our FT shooting is going to hurt us in some of these games, starting tomorrow night.

Next year, I do worry about losing the production we are getting from Rabb and the minutes we get from Singer (though his lack of ability to score after 4 years does bother me. I call an NIT season next year.
Shocky1
today got away from me & i'm gonna miss the st marys vs brophy prep regular season finale, tip off is in less than 30 minutes & no way i can get downtown that quickly without an uber helicopter & them rescue dogs are ready for our pack walk up the mountain

really wanted to see again the future of cal basketball tonite, yeah gonna have to see isaac some other knight

life in the big city (happy & misty mae giving me the stink eye, let's roll baby)#:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

taylor couldn't get off work from her job as a hostess at the trendy japanese restuarnt in our hood in north scottsdale because of the barrett jackson car show crowds so her dumb azz dad traveled solo to st marys high school in downtown phx to watch kj hymes tonite vs shadow mountain

the gym is packed & loud with the student sections yelling funny group stuff at each other, it's the epitome of the magical innocence of high school basketball in the united states of america...so i find an open seat in the 1st row of the benches directly across from the st marys bench...yeah i'm wearing my cal official team jacket & golf cap, gotta make sure the recruits know that i'm at the barricade with them...i quickly befriend my seat neighbor hank who's coached half of the guys on both teams in 8-14 years old aau ball, he gives me detailed insights into the players as we talk shop...hank asks me if i'm a coach & i tell him "sort of, kinda depends who you ask"

shadow mountain (19-0) is the #1 ranked team in arizona/top 20 team in the nation & they are coached up by former nba all star mike bibby...they play an absolutely frentic destructive full court press with defenders in squat fundamentally sound postures for 32 minutes & they unselfishly share the ball...they beat st marys 85-60 & apparently won the state championship game last year by 40+ points

so how did kj hymes play against big time competition tonite?

he was much more energized & played with a stronger motor than the last game i watched of his...hymes got an ivan rabb vibe to his game so when the ball was inbounded 3 feet away from me on the sideline i told him "demand the ball, kj, be physical, demand the ball, let's do this"...kj looked me in the eyes & gave me a quick nod...shortly thereafter he imposed his will & finished off a point range heavily contested bucket around the rim...let's be real here, waiting for my recruits to arrive in berkeley after i recruit them & before i coach them up in college is not in the best interests of the program, they need my messages no later than their junior years of high school

kj got a smoothy technically sound shot & will be a very good free throw shooter in college from day 1...he fluidly runs the court well & got a pretty good handle for his size...hymes got worn down as the warp speed pace of the shadow mountain d caught up with him, he would benefit both physically & from a conditioning standpoint from working with coach nic in the future...he's also got to play with more aggression but trust me he's got all the talent

st marys got kj & another talent in odua isibor who is a powefully constructed all american defensive end who is commited to ucla for football but their head coach seems to enjoy aruging with the refs all game (kinda like bobby hurley) more than scheming to utilize his low post talent

at halftime hank (who seems to know every person in the gym) introduced me to eddie house whose son jalen is a starter for mike bibby's powerhouse team, our conversation went down like this:

shocky (with a shoulder bump & handshake): man, it's good to finally meet you eddie, i didn't really follow cal basketball back in the day but everybody has told me about your 61 points at harmon gym, what was up with that?

eddie: the reason i got a lot of animosity against cal is because tod bozeman didn't even talk to me even though i was just down the street, never watched any of my games (in hayward), nothing

shocky: yeah bozeman was a bad dude...what was your gpa in high school?

eddie: real good, around 2.7, was on honor roll my last year

shocky: do you live here now or back in the bay?

eddie: i live here, do some stuff with the pac 12 network, a podcast for the suns & some camp stuff too

shocky: that's cool,your son jalen can definitely play, maybe cal should recruit him, what's his gpa?

eddie: he's a good student, around 2.5

gpas matter (don't be a dumb azz)#:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Shocky1;842782910 said:

drove south on the 101/202 with the top down with interpol blaring out of the speakers to mountain view high school (harper kamp's hs) in mesa to watch from behind the bench 6'8"+ (listed in the program as 6'10", he got good hair that adds almost an inch) kj hymes of st marys high school (downtown phoenix) & the las vegas prospects who is a key priority targeted prospect for cal's started at the bottom class (2018)

kj is a very fluid athlete that can play the 3 & with additional s&c work with coach nic could also slide to the 4...he got a very smooth shooting stroke while comfortably knocking down free throws, he also drilled a 3 pointer from the far right corner with nothing but net...he did not show a mid range game, hymes ususally sets up on the perimeter which probably explains why his team doesn't win more games...st marys runs a play called "reno" during which he posts up deep with his arm extended & he is very mobile in attacking the rim although he's not strong enough enough yet to finish thru heavy contact...the most exciting play of the game was kj running out in transition & finishing the fast break with a meek mill dissing drake thunderous dunk

defensively hymes got pushed around by the red mountain posts who were 6'5" football kinda guys...he did not dive for any loose balls & did not compete for any 50/50 balls...his defensive strength is using his exceptional length & timing to alter & block shots

there was a major screw up by the scorer's table in the 1st half when the retirement community scorer ref had kj for 3 fouls instead of the actual 2...his coaches didn't handle it very diplomatically with the refs, the mistake was not reversed & kj missed almost half of the 1st half while sitting on the bench...to his credit, kj did not get into the heated argument at the scorer's table

kj is not a dumb azz, he got a 3.2 gpa at the academically challenging st marys...his exudes positive energy (huge genuine smiles) & openly roots for his teammates (he's not selfish), he's clearly been raised to be a respectful young man by his dad kwame who played basketball at pepperdine back in the day & is currently involved with basketball training in the valley of the sun

hymes is currently being recruited hard by cal, usc, clemson, virgina & georgia tech, the bears staff by all accounts has done a very good job in building relationships...given his dad's involvement with coaching up his son, staying on the west coach will most likely be a priority in this recruitment to ensure gameday travel by kwame to kj's future college

the univesity of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including arizona):gobears:
Shocky1
walter ellis scored 17 points as the adams eagles endangered 52-50 the st joseph indians somewhere in the freezing azz midwest

walter, are you an eskimo, why the **** would anybody live (by free choice) in snow, do you own an igloo factory or something?

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including east st louis):buttkick:

50 year friendships (never forget who was with you from the start)#
Shocky1
bears in tempe, coach o'toole & coach marcus gonna do the curfew check & stake out the lobby & side doors just in case koko & nicky ham go looking for trouble on mill

bears on the prowl (best roadtrip of the year)#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]It's a good time to again thank Jason Kidd, NBA champion, 10-time All-Star, two-time Olympic gold medalist, head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks and one of the greatest Golden Bears in history, for his endowment of [COLOR="#000080"]The Jason Kidd Scholarship for Cal men's basketball with a $1 Million + donation[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]"Cal has always been home. Growing up in the Bay Area and then being able to attend Cal, I had two of the most incredible years there and I've always taken pride in wearing the Cal shirt and being able to say I'm a Golden Bear," said Kidd, who arrived from St. Joseph Notre Dame High School in Alameda as two-time state champion and consensus high school player of the year. "The vision behind The Jason Kidd Scholarship endowment is to help the next youth player and family. Being able to give back to the community and to a great school like Cal is a dream come true for me and my family."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]More about this in this expanded article....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#000080"]http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/2/7/inside-the-lair-gift-from-a-cal-legend.aspx[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Yeah, everyone at Cal roots for Jason Kidd[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]But there is one person on this planet that cringes every time he sees a Cal uniform. It brings back nightmares of the Kidd-lead Bears crushing his national championship Dukies on route to the Sweet Sixteen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Yeah, ASU Coach Bobby Hurley doesn't want to see the Cal Bears. Doesn't want to relive the nightmare.[/SIZE]

NYCGOBEARS
HoopDreams;842805972 said:

[SIZE=5]It's a good time to again thank Jason Kidd, NBA champion, 10-time All-Star, two-time Olympic gold medalist, head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks and one of the greatest Golden Bears in history, for his endowment of [COLOR="#000080"]The Jason Kidd Scholarship for Cal men's basketball with a $1 Million + donation[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]"Cal has always been home. Growing up in the Bay Area and then being able to attend Cal, I had two of the most incredible years there and I've always taken pride in wearing the Cal shirt and being able to say I'm a Golden Bear," said Kidd, who arrived from St. Joseph Notre Dame High School in Alameda as two-time state champion and consensus high school player of the year. "The vision behind The Jason Kidd Scholarship endowment is to help the next youth player and family. Being able to give back to the community and to a great school like Cal is a dream come true for me and my family."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]More about this in this expanded article....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#000080"]http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/2/7/inside-the-lair-gift-from-a-cal-legend.aspx[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Yeah, everyone at Cal roots for Jason Kidd[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]But there is one person on this planet that cringes every time he sees a Cal uniform. It brings back nightmares of the Kidd-lead Bears crushing his national championship Dukies on route to the Sweet Sixteen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Yeah, ASU Coach Bobby Hurley doesn't want to see the Cal Bears. Doesn't want to relive the nightmare.[/SIZE]

I'm looking forward to finally meeting J Kidd next week when he brings his Bucks to Brooklyn to take on the Nets.
HoopDreams
NYCGOBEARS;842805973 said:

I'm looking forward to finally meeting J Kidd next week when he brings his Bucks to Brooklyn to take on the Nets.

[SIZE=5]NYC, maybe you can thank Jason for his generous donation when you meet him[/SIZE]

NYCGOBEARS
HoopDreams;842805979 said:

[SIZE=5]NYC, maybe you can thank Jason for his generous donation when you meet him[/SIZE]

Will do. It's one of the first things I'd planned on.
Shocky1
as the 1st commit of cal's go all the way up class (2017), it's jemarl's reponsibility to look all the way up for the fueled up uber helicopter for trevin, juhwan & justice & him...yeah we got all the subtitles (potentially french too) for the guys, they're not dumb azzs

parlez vous franais?#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Defense (and rebounding) travels[/SIZE]

[video=youtube;Ts5vZ7fOVQA][/video]
Shocky1

for mutts like us we appreciate that refugees fight the odds to relocate around the globe, to create better lives for themselves & their families in a safe harbor

[video=youtube;73g8I2KebD4][/video]

love for the beautiful people of south sudan#

the university of california, berkeley=epicenter of the civil rights & free speech movements in the united states of america
Shocky1
cal's monster class exclusive announcement:

french big man olivier sarr made an official visit to berkeley with his maman et papa which included the colorado game on super bowl sunday...he's originally from toulouse (located in southern france near the spanish border) & has played for insep & the centre federal du basket-ball

sarr's build is very similar to marcus lee, my take in seeing him in person is that he's 6'11"+ & around 210-215 lbs...as the video shows he's an explosive shot blocker with instinctual timing & an active rebounder/defender along with an aggression for slam dunking (that's something i'm trying to coach up the king, don't dribble just flush the ball)

[video=youtube;3hMcqrhz7AM][/video]

olivier is a 2017 prospect that's articulate (stanford has been in the mix), a true citizen of the world & plays with the elite hops needed for cal's go all the way up class (2017)

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including paris which is the san francisco of europe)
Shocky1
princeton tigers (13-6) clawed 64-49 the penn quakers...princeton is now 6-0 in ivy league play without the services of the highly skilled henry caruso

bi polar san diego aztecs (13-10) are in serious need of intensive psycho counseling after losing 76-71 to the san jose spartans in silicon valley...wow
Shocky1
olivier sarr competed for france's fiba 17 team in this summer's world games in zaragoza spain that was attended by coach martin whose primary goal was to stay closer to jordan brown & not keep him further afar

life changes (24 secondes)#
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.