cal's monster class deux

1,376,236 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
mikecohen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OdontoBear66;842860515 said:

Obviously, bonehead English fall 1959 did me no good.

An interesting comment. But I'm not sure I get it. I'm assuming that you're referring to the writing lessons in those classes which follow the precepts of Strunk and White, by which standards the paragraph to which you respond is anathema - and I am proud of it.
Civil Bear
mikecohen;842860518 said:

An interesting comment. But I'm not sure I get it. I'm assuming that you're referring to the writing lessons in those classes which follow the precepts of Strunk and White, by which standards the paragraph to which you respond is anathema - and I am proud of it.

Darn, and the Monster Thread post Shocky was going so well.
BearGoggles
OdontoBear66;842860331 said:

I always enjoyed the Cal BB info, but accepted that I had to wade through "his schtick" to get it. It was kind of like reading a newspaper (and that dates me) where you see all the news and sports info but your mind blocks out the advertisements (unless you have a need there). The one thing that I found most offensive though, having a daughter and three granddaughters is that I felt in his "cool guy created aura" he was always mildly p**ping his daughter. Again, just tried to move by it. But I have never seen that posted here to date about shocky. I do miss the info though.

I was just about to post along these lines. Personally, I didn't understand 40% of what Shocky said, thought 40% was juvenile, egotistical, silly and/or sometimes mean, but 20% of what he posted was actual inside information or insights that no one else on this board had (or was willing to share).

Someone else in this thread (Yogi?) posted that they just want information without the Shocky Shtick. But that hasn't been an option - that information wasn't anywhere else, not even the insider board. Hopefully that will change under the new board management. If not, then losing Shocky's posts will make this a less informative place.

In terms of all the social science theorizing and in-depth analysis about the societal effects of Shocky's yoga brunette pictures, etc., - honestly people need to lighten up. Read it - or don't. The site operators can run their business how ever they want, with whatever values, ethics or agendas they see fit. But fundamentally, I come here for information and perspective about Cal football and mens hoops (with some olympic sports thrown in), particularly from those connected to the program who are in the know. Shocky was in that category and losing him as a poster is a negative.
Yogi58
BearGoggles;842860536 said:

Someone else in this thread (Yogi?) posted that they just want information without the Shocky Shtick. But that hasn't been an option - that information wasn't anywhere else, not even the insider board.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?107992-Video-interview-with-hoops-S-amp-C-coach-Jordan-Jackson-workout-vids-and-more.

Your mileage may vary. I can't speak as to what goes on in the subscription world.

If you want to get the info Shocky had, spend a lot of time on Twitter. In particular, follow Josh Gershon as that's who shocky was stealing most of his info from.
berkeleyhigh91
BearGoggles;842860536 said:

I was just about to post along these lines. Personally, I didn't understand 40% of what Shocky said, thought 40% was juvenile, egotistical, silly and/or sometimes mean, but 20% of what he posted was actual inside information or insights that no one else on this board had (or was willing to share).

Someone else in this thread (Yogi?) posted that they just want information without the Shocky Shtick. But that hasn't been an option - that information wasn't anywhere else, not even the insider board. Hopefully that will change under the new board management. If not, then losing Shocky's posts will make this a less informative place.

In terms of all the social science theorizing and in-depth analysis about the societal effects of Shocky's yoga brunette pictures, etc., - honestly people need to lighten up. Read it - or don't. The site operators can run their business how ever they want, with whatever values, ethics or agendas they see fit. But fundamentally, I come here for information and perspective about Cal football and mens hoops (with some olympic sports thrown in), particularly from those connected to the program who are in the know. Shocky was in that category and losing him as a poster is a negative.

Tend to agree. Moderator is allowing him to turn this messageboard into his blog. Some value but mostly his random musings which at times useful but usually aimless chest pounding with curvy brunettes.
UrsaMajor
Shocky personifies the meme going around about the Trumps: that every man wants to marry a Melania and have his daughter be an Ivanka (i.e., marry a silent bimbo and raise a CEO). Shocky is explicit with his: "brunette yoga females, etc. FROM ACADEMICALLY MEDIOCRE SCHOOLS want to marry men from Cal and Stanford," while going on and on about Taylor and Shay. While it's not like Google executives standing in the way of women in management, it does contribute to the societal trend.

As for the comment that his pictures show women of power who choose to show off, notice how many of his choices appear to have had breast augmentation--which is a form of body modification (some would say mutilation) in order to conform to a male standard.

Having said all this, I did read the Monster for the occasional nugget of information (much--although not all--of which accurate), but tried to avoid the rest.
BearlyCareAnymore
Yogi Bear;842860545 said:

https://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?107992-Video-interview-with-hoops-S-amp-C-coach-Jordan-Jackson-workout-vids-and-more.

Your mileage may vary. I can't speak as to what goes on in the subscription world.

If you want to get the info Shocky had, spend a lot of time on Twitter. In particular, follow Josh Gershon as that's who shocky was stealing most of his info from.

It is amazing to me that people that spend time on the internet fall for such common ploys. He was a compiler. A guy that pulls information from different sources and brings it to a site relatively lacking in information so he can play the big man. He had nothing you couldn't get on your own. If no public sources knew the info, he didn't either. He had no clue about the Cuonzo hire, and he was completely wrong several times about the football coach and staff search. When he has publicly disagreed with Moraga, Moraga has been right.

The guy personally attacks Cal fans and their families for disagreeing with him in any way that threatens his big man status. If someone else dares to post recruiting info, he copies the post onto his thread and attacks it so he can demonstrate he is the only guru. He attack people's level of commitment to the program while his absolute dearth of Cal basketball historical knowledge shows that he ignored Cal basketball until very recently. He straight up lied in attacking Charlie Moore when he committed elsewhere and then had to backtrack when Moore came to Cal.

If this were a schtick then why attack people privately on IM? If this were about love of Cal basketball why does he feel his method is more important than his message? Is playing insult comic really a necessary component to supporting Cal basketball?

An internet board enforcing some rules of decorum is not a free speech issue. It seems to me the ones leaving are the snow flakes.

I know Calgreg has more interest in basketball and hopefully that will lead to more info here so people won't be so desperate they'll take it from anyone. Allowing those that have been banned in the past to come back was a great decision. So far a net positive.
parentswerebears
Ok. So the endless debate on the meaning of Shocky is getting old. I don't care about the NBA. Is there any actual Cal basketball news?
petalumabear
parentswerebears;842860614 said:

Ok. So the endless debate on the meaning of Shocky is getting old. I don't care about the NBA. Is there any actual Cal basketball news?

This thread needs to be locked and discussion moved to new/different threads. He's gone (ding dong the witch is gone!) and we should move on. Clearly, the new management cares more about hoops (agree with Oaktown's comment about Greg) but you may need to sign up to be an Insider to see much of it as it won't be in this worthless mess of a thread any longer... Or you can follow Twitter
Civil Bear
califortunate;842860029 said:

Don't like it; don't read it.
Your problem solved.

Monster thread has had over 3 million hits.
Have any other threads gotten anything even close?

And yes I will cancel premium if he's not posting.
By far, the monster shtick is most entertaining part of BI.

No worries, I'll take your place now that the board appears to have some huevos.
petalumabear
Civil Bear;842860617 said:

No worries, I'll take your place now that the board appears to have some huevos.

so long Cali-unfortunate..... maybe you can find your hero out there somewhere in a yoga studio.
OdontoBear66
mikecohen;842860518 said:

Nah mike, I was referring to my own lack of reading comprehension of your post on my part.
parentswerebears
petalumabear;842860616 said:

This thread needs to be locked and discussion moved to new/different threads. He's gone (ding dong the witch is gone!) and we should move on. Clearly, the new management cares more about hoops (agree with Oaktown's comment about Greg) but you may need to sign up to be an Insider to see much of it as it won't be in this worthless mess of a thread any longer... Or you can follow Twitter

I guess it's twitter. Can't afford the premium. Too bad for me. Although putting a ton on premium shuts out a lot of people like me. That's fine if the new management doesn't care. But the conversation won't be as robust. If that indeed does happen, it will be yet another have vs have nots. But what can you expect from this world. That's how it has always been. The wealthy get theirs and **** everyone else.
BeachedBear
parentswerebears;842860631 said:

I guess it's twitter. Can't afford the premium. Too bad for me. Although putting a ton on premium shuts out a lot of people like me. That's fine if the new management doesn't care. But the conversation won't be as robust. If that indeed does happen, it will be yet another have vs have nots. But what can you expect from this world. That's how it has always been. The wealthy get theirs and **** everyone else.

Add me to the list. A shame that the power of money (subscriptions) is going to dismantle something I truly appreciated for a long time. I considered a number of the posters on this board like strong bar-fly acquaintances (almost like friends). I get it - and I have no particular qualms with those going after more money. Not a lot of harm by losing folks like me and parentswerebears. But still a bit sad.

Also - a lot of confusion on this thread between criticism and censorship. I've seen lots of criticism, but not anyone asking for censorship. YET - there are still a few saying "If you don't like it - don't read it". To me, these people are the ones that are crying for censorship. They don't want to hear the criticism - so they ask you to go away.

:gobears:
wifeisafurd
Oakbear;842860321 said:

you took a lot of words to basically say he is a jerk .. his photos are offensive and reflect a mindset that is very out of date.

Shocky said some things that were objectionable, some of them trying to be funny, and from my perspective, I just ignored, because he did have informative things to say. I hate to break this to the PC males here, but women take a lot of pride in how they look, and even the most educated and sophisticaed women often want to viewed as attractive. In the PC world this may be an outdated view, but in the real world women spend a lot of time focused on their appearance and often compete with each other (just look at the jewelry sometimes). I didn't get the photos, but you know, I just moved on rather than act offended.
BearlyCareAnymore
parentswerebears;842860631 said:

This is like saying I go to Fenton's every day and get samples of the ice cream and never buy and when they cut me off saying "I guess ice cream is just for the rich who are willing to pay". They offer a board where we can discuss Cal basketball. If they hire people to go get information and track down news, they are not unreasonable in charging for that. You don't have a right to partake in the fruits of another's labor for free.

I'm in the same place as Yogi on subscriptions. It's not worth it to me to know information a little bit before I need to know it, so I don't pay. I can still can talk about all the public information which makes up 90% of what is out there. I can talk about guys who take official visits, guy who are publicly interviewed, games, coaching strategies the players on the roster the recruits who have committed.

I would like it if the new regime does a better job of collecting the public information in one place for us, and I think doing so would make their subscription service more attractive. But that is up to them. I've seen a lot of posters come and go. Enough to know that whether I or anyone else leaves the board will not be impacted. If lack of freebies makes you leave, I don't think your protest will hurt.
NYCGOBEARS
$9.99/month to support this website/community is a small price to pay, IMO. That's why I subscribe. It's not for the content, although I'd love more of it. For about the same as I'd spend on some garbage coffee drink at Starbucks, I get satisfaction in knowing that in my very small way, I'm contributing. I'm entirely positive that the owners of BI are not getting wealthy on this endeavor.
TheSouseFamily
OaktownBear;842860661 said:

This is like saying I go to Fenton's every day and get samples of the ice cream and never buy and when they cut me off saying "I guess ice cream is just for the rich who are willing to pay". They offer a board where we can discuss Cal basketball. If they hire people to go get information and track down news, they are not unreasonable in charging for that. You don't have a right to partake in the fruits of another's labor for free.

I'm in the same place as Yogi on subscriptions. It's not worth it to me to know information a little bit before I need to know it, so I don't pay. I can still can talk about all the public information which makes up 90% of what is out there. I can talk about guys who take official visits, guy who are publicly interviewed, games, coaching strategies the players on the roster the recruits who have committed.

I would like it if the new regime does a better job of collecting the public information in one place for us, and I think doing so would make their subscription service more attractive. But that is up to them. I've seen a lot of posters come and go. Enough to know that whether I or anyone else leaves the board will not be impacted. If lack of freebies makes you leave, I don't think your protest will hurt.

If information is the only thing you feel you'd be buying with premium, then perhaps it's a simple equation for you. I pay for premium not for the "information" but for the quality of discussion, to support a vibrant and interesting (and often amusing) Cal online community as well as to support (even in a small way) the business of fellow ardent Cal fans who own and/or contribute to the site. Plus, someone has to pay for Growls and this board to remain free.
wifeisafurd
NYCGOBEARS;842860667 said:

$9.99/month to support this website/community is a small price to pay, IMO. That's why I subscribe. It's not for the content, although I'd love more of it. For about the same as I'd spend on some garbage coffee drink at Starbucks, I get satisfaction in knowing that in my very small way, I'm contributing. I'm entirely positive that the owners of BI are not getting wealthy on this endeavor.

that is the point, we are making a minor contribution (in terms of dollars) to keep this Cal community together. We go off topic, sometimes the humor crosses a line, we bemoan the Cal administration and the like, and we sometimes offend each other, but where else can you share your views like this? The Cardboard? An SC site?

And guys like Grey Bear and Moraga have real jobs, so this is a labor of love to them.
socaltownie
wifeisafurd;842860675 said:

that is the point, we are making a minor contribution (in terms of dollars) to keep this Cal community together. We go off topic, sometimes the humor crosses a line, we bemoan the Cal administration and the like, and we sometimes offend each other, but where else can you share your views like this? The Cardboard? An SC site?

And guys like Grey Bear and Moraga have real jobs, so this is a labor of love to them.

+1. Since I have NEVER been able to get chat to work and the board is beyond clunky on mobile (if you have to reread the technical fix 3 times and still are confused it is a problem) I get very little value out of the premium. However, BI is so far above things like the Bruins site or the Trojans that if we can support something with a few clams it is fine.
OdontoBear66
wifeisafurd;842860675 said:

+1...Keep the community alive, and help out the work that goes into it.
gooski
I subscribed to BI premium a few years ago and was thinking about subscribing again

I enjoyed Shocky's postings and to me it's a negative that he's leaving the board - you don't like what he's posting and then don't read it. He had basically stopped posting in every other thread but this one so it wasn't hard to ignore him if he annoyed you

I'm glad to see that some of the previously banned posters have returned but not sure why the need to limit Shocky's postings. The lack of transparency bothers me the most - exactly what limitations were put on Shocky, at least then, it would be easier to understand

I'll continue to read the free boards but will miss Shocky's content
BeachedBear
OaktownBear;842860661 said:

This is like saying I go to Fenton's every day and get samples of the ice cream and never buy and when they cut me off saying "I guess ice cream is just for the rich who are willing to pay". .....

Actually, it's more like Fenton's instituting a cover charge. It's just ice cream - not strippers (and they apparently just fired the stripper).

Seriously, I'm with you and Yogi on the subscriptions. This is more about the banter. The 'insider' info is just a timeliness issue.
mikecohen
TheSouseFamily;842860668 said:

If information is the only thing you feel you'd be buying with premium, then perhaps it's a simple equation for you. I pay for premium not for the "information" but for the quality of discussion, to support a vibrant and interesting (and often amusing) Cal online community as well as to support (even in a small way) the business of fellow ardent Cal fans who own and/or contribute to the site. Plus, someone has to pay for Growls and this board to remain free.

You don't get vibrant with censorship
joe amos yaks
BeachedBear;842860733 said:

Actually, it's more like Fenton's instituting a cover charge. It's just ice cream - not strippers (and they apparently just fired the stripper).

Seriously, I'm with you and Yogi on the subscriptions. This is more about the banter. The 'insider' info is just a timeliness issue.

Fenton's has strippers? Surely you mean stripers. They didn't have "strippers" when we were in Fenton's last month; however, we wouldn't pay anyway....not until they serve mocha almond fudge milkshakes.
Admin
OaktownBear;842860606 said:

It is amazing to me that people that spend time on the internet fall for such common ploys. He was a compiler. A guy that pulls information from different sources and brings it to a site relatively lacking in information so he can play the big man. He had nothing you couldn't get on your own. If no public sources knew the info, he didn't either. He had no clue about the Cuonzo hire, and he was completely wrong several times about the football coach and staff search. When he has publicly disagreed with Moraga, Moraga has been right.

The guy personally attacks Cal fans and their families for disagreeing with him in any way that threatens his big man status. If someone else dares to post recruiting info, he copies the post onto his thread and attacks it so he can demonstrate he is the only guru. He attack people's level of commitment to the program while his absolute dearth of Cal basketball historical knowledge shows that he ignored Cal basketball until very recently. He straight up lied in attacking Charlie Moore when he committed elsewhere and then had to backtrack when Moore came to Cal.

If this were a schtick then why attack people privately on IM? If this were about love of Cal basketball why does he feel his method is more important than his message? Is playing insult comic really a necessary component to supporting Cal basketball?

An internet board enforcing some rules of decorum is not a free speech issue. It seems to me the ones leaving are the snow flakes.

I know Calgreg has more interest in basketball and hopefully that will lead to more info here so people won't be so desperate they'll take it from anyone. Allowing those that have been banned in the past to come back was a great decision. So far a net positive.

There has been no banning or censorship. New ownership simply asked him politely to channel his passion for Cal in a more positive way because several elements of his style in this thread don't fit well with what type of forums we'd like to have. There's a reason there's no monster thread or anything like it on one of the other Cal boards he's a member of. It's because they won't tolerate it.

We're not going to have the majority of the information on the subscriber board out of spite to non-subscribers or for any nefarious reason. It's just to give more value to our subscribers -the people who make it possible for us to run this site and have vibrant free football, basketball and Olympic sports forums and a community that many have grown to feel like family in many ways over the years. That said, we will still try and clarify things occasionally as we always have to some extent on the free boards. I think you'll find that we usually have good information because we have good sources that trust us and because we have pretty good filters to sift out the info that doesn't seem right.

We hope that enough of you feel this site provides enough value to your life that you'd strongly consider investing $99/yr (less than $9/mo) to support the site and make it possible for us to continue to maintain the free boards as always and to provide even more content here. It's also an opportunity to participate in what we think is a great Cal community on our Insider board, full of knowledge, inside connections and great discussion. And, of course, for the additional subscriber-only stories and posts where you'll get a lot more depth and nuance than a tweet or free story somewhere. Our subscribers for the most part have a really good handle on both football and hoops recruiting and they'll tell you, the info's good and on track almost all the time so they're not hanging in limbo waiting for the other shoe to drop, drawing their own conclusions without info or having the rug pulled out from under them when something happens they weren't prepared for. And when we get our new chat board up in a few weeks, that's a great way subscribers have always gotten great info from our writers as well as really interesting contributions from other subscribers that have great info and connections, too.

To close out this thread on a positive note, recruiting is still going very well. We feel that the odds are high in closing out 2 or 3 of the main targets, with at least 2 being bigs and maybe one more that has length, too.
First Page Refresh
Page 186 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.