Winning at all costs - Oregon Basketball

6,810 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ayetee11
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Sports Illustrated on Oregon basketball and sexual assault

I'm grateful that our AD has consistently hired coaches of high character and integrity.

Dana Altman is no friend to women's safety

calgldnbear
Sadly, I am not surprised by the lack of character exhibited by the UO coach and players ....
NVBear78
Dana Altman is a criminal.
parentswerebears
Mods! NVBear78 stole my response.
wifeisafurd
BearGreg said:

I'm grateful that our AD has consistently hired coaches of high character and integrity.

Do they pay more than SC or UofA?
UrsaMajor
wifeisafurd said:

BearGreg said:

Do they pay more than SC or UofA?
According to rumors, UO was the school that offered more to Bowen than Adidas did for Louisville...
UrsaMajor
Everyone's dumping on Altman (with good reason), but the one who really makes me sick is the University President who sanctioned all of this and gave the AD and Altman cover.
NVBear78
parentswerebears said:

Is that a form of "Booth" lol
UrsaMajor
NVBear78 said:

parentswerebears said:

Is that a form of "Booth" lol
No, but it's a Shock! (see what I did there?)
KoreAmBear
What this is not even the one that happened like 2-3 years ago on the eve of the Pac-12 tournament? This is just dirty, immoral and wrong. And Altman is responsible for bringing these guys in just to win. But hey keep making deep runs in the NCAAs and it will all work out.
UrsaMajor
The sad thing is University of Oregon used to be a respectable institution. A place for kids who weren't quite up to Cal, UCLA, etc. to go to get a decent education in a nice environment. I know a number of UofO grads (one who works for Cal IA) who had good experiences up there. Once Phil Knight bought the athletic program, however, the school basically sold it's soul, and now athletics runs the administration, and Knight runs athletics, and any pretense of being a serious institution is out the window.
concordtom
It is not polite to speak of the dead.

BeachedBear
Dana Altman reminds me a lot of Jerry Tarkanian in that he is a good coach in the gym (his teams perform well) and most people who know him seem to like him. He also carries the "Aw shucks, not sure why people don't liek what I'm doing" routine.

However, the NCAA doesn't have a hard on with Altman like they did with Tarkanian. Major difference.
SFCityBear
BeachedBear said:

Dana Altman reminds me a lot of Jerry Tarkanian in that he is a good coach in the gym (his teams perform well) and most people who know him seem to like him. He also carries the "Aw shucks, not sure why people don't liek what I'm doing" routine.

However, the NCAA doesn't have a hard on with Altman like they did with Tarkanian. Major difference.
I'm not sure Altman is a good coach. Maybe a good one, but not a great one. Mike Montgomery (perhaps not a great coach either) beat Altman's Oregon teams like a drum when Mike was at Cal, and he did it with less talented players.

MSaviolives
SFCityBear said:

BeachedBear said:

I'm not sure Altman is a good coach. Maybe a good one, but not a great one. Mike Montgomery (perhaps not a great coach either) beat Altman's Oregon teams like a drum when Mike was at Cal, and he did it with less talented players.

Seems like he coaches up his teams. One sign is that his teams often start slow (probably expected given the turnover in his transfer players each year), and then get better and better as the season progresses, including some deep runs at the tournament.
BeachedBear
SFCityBear said:

BeachedBear said:

I think this was a great example of Monty out-coaching Altman. He really seemed to have his number.
MSaviolives
BeachedBear said:

SFCityBear said:

BeachedBear said:

I think this was a great example of Monty out-coaching Altman. He really seemed to have his number.
Come on, we all know it was the Garrett Sim curse that allowed Monty to go undefeated against Altman
NVBear78
Isn't there any pressure on Altman from anyone in Oregon for this continued behavior of his recruits?
PtownBear1
I don't get why there isn't any widespread outrage about all this? I mean it's been going on for years. Every now and then an article about UO b-ball pops up but it's never turned into a real headline.
joe amos yaks
The uO and Coach Altman allocate considerable resources to maintain his deniability.
south bender
How define a "great coach"?

Not easy to do...
BearGoggles
I'll preface this by saying I think Altman is dirty and UO sports, particularly basketball, illustrate much of what is wrong with the NCAA today.

That being said, I read the story and couldn't help but have a few questions and reservations:

1. Bigby-Williams was never criminally charged. What is a school - any school including Cal - supposed to do when a transfer or incoming student has been accused of wrongdoing but never charged and never been found "responsible" by even a Title IX tribunal? And note, in this case the incident happened: (i) after Bigby-Williams was already admitted to U of O; and (ii) outside of Eugene.

2. Why did the U of O police even contact U of O's title IX office? The article seems to suggest that only happened after Bigby-Williams declined to speak with the police. What do you suppose the police officer was trying to accomplish? Is it ok for a police officer to retaliate against an UNCHARGED suspect by provoking (or attempting to provoke) a title ix investigation?

3. What was U of O's Title IX office supposed to do/investigate? Honestly, I don't think they have ANY proper role in this situation based on the facts presented. It might be different if there was a pattern of allegations or some finding of wrongful conduct by Bigby-Williams. But that was not the case - it was a he said/she said accusation at a DIFFERENT school where the police declined to prosecute AND the alleged victim declined to pursue other remedies. U of O probably should investigate under the "is he a danger to the community?" standard, but in this case there was literally nothing that would have justified suspending him. Had they done so, I think Bigby-Williams has a decent legal claim against U of O. And keep in mind, it is not like U of O can hold a title ix hearing - the incident happened elsewhere and the alleged victim wasn't cooperating. All they had was a police report.

Bigby-Williams may well be a bad guy. But the Title IX framework is horribly flawed and quite simply can't deal with these situations fairly. Devos (and Governor Brown's veto) did everyone a big favor by scrapping that terrible regime.
EricBear
Staff
Update. No surprise.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/12/07/dana-altman-oregon-kavell-bigby-williams-investigation

Northside91
How 'bout we compare our fine institution to ones that hire coaches who are both honorable and competent and nevermind what the Oregons, Kentuckys and Louisvilles are doing? If our only salve is not being as dirty as the Ducks or Trojans, we're not accomplishing much.
Fyght4Cal
Some people owe Shocky a YUGE apology. Everybody Shocky said was scum is scum. No if, ands, or buts about it.

Come back Shocky! Please!

We need truth-tellers, not mealy-mouth political correctness that protects scumbags.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Chapman_is_Gone
Fyght4Cal said:

Some people owe Shocky a YUGE apology. Everybody Shocky said was scum is scum. No if, ands, or buts about it.

Come back Shocky! Please!

We need truth-tellers, not mealy-mouth political correctness that protects scumbags.
Shocky, please stay far away. The absence of your shtick has been a breath of fresh air.
Genocide Joe 58
Fyght4Cal said:

Some people owe Shocky a YUGE apology.
What exactly are people supposed to apologize to him for?
petalumabear
Yogi Bear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Some people owe Shocky a YUGE apology.
What exactly are people supposed to apologize to him for?
Being a D-bag I guess.... no apology will be forthcoming.
He has surfaced on Rivals chewing out the hoops writer for not knowing why Theo is gone.
Who the F*** does he think he is?
No answer necessary. he's proven it over and over.
bearister
calgldnbear said:

Sadly, I am not surprised by the lack of character exhibited by the UO coach and players ....

Who could expect any better from an alleged university whose chief financial patron made his billions off the naked exploitation of Third World labor?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Beararama
Fyght4Cal said:

Some people owe Shocky a YUGE apology. Everybody Shocky said was scum is scum. No if, ands, or buts about it..

Takes scum to know scum, I suppose!
ayetee11
Yet Cal hires a coach who was at a program that provided prostitution for visitors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.