Bears Among Nation’s Top Recruiting Classes With 2018 Early Signees

Cal Athletics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yogi Bear
Finish off this class with Jordan Brown!
MoragaBear
Staff
The ideal would be both Brown and Brooks but they're probably going to have to show fight and gradual improvement to get one or both. I think they do a good job of selling that a class of those five could be immediately transformative, so I don't think a losing season would eliminate them. I just wouldn't want to risk a disastrous season.
HoopDreams
welcome to Cal
these three are the type of players who can elevate the program
need at least one more big
CAL4LIFE
Real talent, class balance, and viable depth would be an awesome change of pace for Cal Basketball. Especially if Jones wants to run. But they really need two more bigs IMO. That said, none of it matters if Wyking Jones and his staff do not make coaching strides with the program this season. Losing at home to UCR should never happen! Sincerely, Cal State Bakersfield
OdontoBear66
There is hope. And that is good news after Friday night.
tequila4kapp
This is a positive step for the program. Good job by the staff.
parentswerebears
MoragaBear said:

The ideal would be both Brown and Brooks but they're probably going to have to show fight and gradual improvement to get one or both. I think they do a good job of selling that a class of those five could be immediately transformative, so I don't think a losing season would eliminate them. I just wouldn't want to risk a disastrous season.

How are we doing with Brooks? If we can only get one of these guys, I think I'd rather have him because I think he might be a longer term investment than Brown.
MoragaBear
Staff
Doing very well with Brooks.

We'll see if Cal can pull an upset and get an early signing from him by Wednesday.
concordtom
Still worried about the Achilles.
No news, just time will tell, I suppose.
Praying for healthy recovery.
concordtom
CAL4LIFE said:

Real talent, class balance, and viable depth would be an awesome change of pace for Cal Basketball. Especially if Jones wants to run. But they really need two more bigs IMO. That said, none of it matters if Wyking Jones and his staff do not make coaching strides with the program this season. Losing at home to UCR should never happen! Sincerely, Cal State Bakersfield

Yes, TWO bigs!!
concordtom
This team is going to be loaded at the guard and wing position next year. Very exciting.

Go thru each position and see the penciled depth charts, there's a lot to work with.
concordtom
Oct 13, 2017
LATimes

The college basketball bribery and corruption scandal has cost USC a top recruit, at least temporarily. Forward J'Raan Brooks, a 6'8" 210-pound forward from Seattle (Garfield High) who is ranked among the nation's top 100 high school players, said he is reopening his college search.

"Due to unforeseen circumstances stemming from the recent news that has come to light in regards to the Trojan basketball program I have decided to reopen my commitment to examine other available options," Brooks wrote in a Twitter post. "While USC is still very much a possibility, the uncertainty of their situation has led me to believe I should reassess my own."
concordtom
All the playing time one could hope for down low.

How do each of Brown and Brooks project as posts. I think I read that Brown is more a stretch 4 facing the basket than a back to basket pivot. What about Brooks?

And Kelly? At 6'8", he's more banger than slasher or shooter? Is that right?
BC Calfan
The main concern I have for Gordon's recovery from his achilles tear is the quality of surgery and rehab for a high schooler. If he were in already in college or pros it wouldn't be a concern. Good thing is that he has youth on his side and is at optimum healing capability.

Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.