Story Poster
Photo by Casey Sapio-USA TODAY Sports
Cal Basketball

Jones Reflects on Season and Future of the Program

March 27, 2018

This is a quick fix

One of your documents expired

This caused your account to be deactivated. Find out which document needs to be updated so you can reactivate your account.

CLICK HERE

After going through the trials of a tough season overseeing one of the youngest and least-experienced rosters in the country and suffering through the predictably trying results, Cal head coach Wyking Jones had the chance to step back and get away for a bit to recharge, refocus and reevaluate what went wrong in the 2017-18 season and what can built upon.

What did he do in his time away?

"Just watching film and took a break," said Jones. "I took about a week where I didn’t want to talk about basketball. Spent time with the family and then after about a week, 'Alright, we gotta get back into it.' Let the guys have a week where they just didn’t do anything. They just focused on school and went back to being just normal people. Just enjoying being a student and that’s it. 'You’re not a student-athlete right now, you’re just a student for the next week' and so we didn’t do anything and we didn’t really even talk too much basketball."

Coming into the season, Jones and staff made the calculation that with a distinctive lack of scorers on the roster, an uptempo, pressing style of play might level the playing field a bit and allow his young team to have a better chance than simply trying to match up 5-on-5 against more talented and experienced rosters on any given night.

“From the jump, from the press conference, to talking about style of play, I wanted to be aggressive and play the style of pressing and be aggressive offensively, but when it was all said and done, we weren’t ready to play that way," said Jones. "I think, when it was all said and done, I felt like we would have been better suited to ease into that style with our youth and with it being a new system.

"I also feel like I gave the guys too much freedom early on because I felt like that was the right thing to do. I always felt like you play better basketball when you have the freedom offensively to feel like you can just play your game. But going through the season I learned that we were a lot better when we slowed things down and worked to get the shot that we wanted and the ball in the hands of the guys that myself and my staff wanted the ball in their hands."

It was during one of the few bright spots of the season where the change of philosophy showed itself to be the appropriate course of action, as Jones and the Bears changed tracks and slowed the tempo against NCAA qualifier San Diego State in the Bears' 63-62 upset victory on the road December 9.

“San Diego State was a first time I felt like I just said, 'You know what, let’s just work clock,'" said Jones. '"We’re in a hostile environment. If we absolutely have a fast break transition opportunity, we’ll take it. But if it’s not an absolute transition opportunity, we’re gonna use some clock.' And I remember in that game Don([Coleman) played a lot of point guard for the first time and he even got a 10-second call walking the ball up the court one time.

"But that game we controlled tempo. We got the shot that we wanted and it wasn’t just us coming down and thinking that we had an open look, but it wasn’t really a great look. Or the person who was shooting the ball wasn’t necessarily who we wanted shooting the ball. There were certain guys who we wanted the ball in their hands so I felt like San Diego State was a good example of that.

The next game, the Bears again beat an NCAA qualifier, defeating Fullerton State, 95-89 in overtime.

Following the win over Fullerton, the Bears went on the road to Seattle and defeated Seattle University decisively, 81-59. Seattle U ended their season 20-14.

“Seattle up at their place, we slowed it down tremendously and we came away with a good win," said Jones. "And Stanford in the second half. I felt like we played to their tempo in the first half and in the second half when we really started to just really pick and choose who we wanted the ball, whose hands we wanted the ball in, we did a much better job and Justice ended up being that guy for that particular game.

"Even as late as Arizona on the road, we walked it up every single time. I told the guys, 'Look, don’t even look at the rim until there's 15 seconds left on the shot clock. We ran a spread action four out and one in: dribble hand off, dribble hand off, dribble hand off, dribble hand off, run some clock, and then we looked to attack and I thought that that played in our favor to the point that I think we were whatever it was. He (Juhwan Harris-Dyson) got the fifth foul and then Justice (Sueing) turned it over and they got a breakaway and that was the game."

Often it was the little things that separated the wins from tough losses and with a distinct lack of scorers and viable bench players on the roster, their margin for error was between slim and none.

“I always said to the guys that for us to win, everybody has to be able to give us something," said Jones. "It can’t be these three guys played well and these two guys were just ok. It was always a situation where for us to win, everybody had to give us something and when you go back and you look at the times we did win: San Diego State, Seattle, Oregon State, everybody came off that bench, everybody that was in that lineup gave us something. If somebody had an off night, we weren’t going to win. If somebody didn’t have a great night we probably weren’t going to win. So it was tough.”

The past is now the past and all the Bears can do is hope to learn from their mistakes and chart a new course with a deeper and more talented roster next season.

The Bears' recruiting class is off to a solid start, with a pair of talented 4 star wings in 6-7 Jacobi Gordon and 6-5 Matt Bradley along with 6-8 forward Andre Kelly. They hope to add two more bigs and possibly another point guard to go along with junior transfer Paris Austin.

“I’m very excited about those three guys," said Jones. "From a culture standpoint, they 100 percent fit what we’re all about. They’re all great young men.

"From a basketball standpoint, when you talk about Matt Bradley, he’s probably the first kid that I’ve ever recruited that he’s gonna get here and I’m gonna say you’re not allowed to lift weights. You can only do band work and stretching. Because he’s so muscular and physically imposing. But he’s a kid that he brings a high level of toughness and he’s physical. He uses that body. He can really shoot the ball from three and also midrange, and so to be able to add another shooter, because that was definitely something that we lacked this year, to be able to add a shooter, someone that can stretch the floor is what I’m most excited about with him and and he’s a competitor.

“Now Jacobi is a kid that I’m excited about because I can play him at a bunch of different positions because he’s versatile. He’s a really good rebounder, he shoots the ball, he posts up, he can take you off the bounce. And so with him I’m very excited about his versatility and being able to play him at a bunch of positions and he has a level of toughness that I’m excited about, as well as a high IQ.

“Andre is probably the least talked about of the three, but I’m really really excited about him, because he knows how to score the ball in a number of ways. He shoots a three, he’s good at pick and pop, he’s got really really good footwork, great feet, great hands, he feels really really comfortable shooting it (from 3), and he’ll get better when he gets here. So I’m really excited about him even though he’s probably the most under-the-radar guy because you've got a guy who’s a natural scorer at the post while Kingsley was a defensive-minded guy. Marcus had games where he scored, had games where he didn’t. Now you got a guy that feels really comfortable putting the ball in the hole. So I’m excited to have a guy in the program that can do that. Ivan obviously could do it when he was here. So you have somebody that you can count on that you can throw the ball in to them and then get a bucket.”

Jones and staff have at least two more scholarships available after junior guard Don Coleman announced his intention to transfer and the Bears are working hard to add some size to their roster with the spring signing period approaching in two weeks, running through late May.

"With our situation, the graduate transfer is definitely a prospect that we’re looking at," said Jones. "I think everybody is. If you see a grad transfer that can play, I think everybody in the country is interested in that. You can’t make up for experience. Experience is everything. The game’s a lot younger because you got so many guys that are coming in and they’re leaving and leaving early and the really good ones don’t stay for very long, and so experience can put you over the top."

Fortunately for the Bears, they have several solid leads in the grad transfer department and hope and expect to sign a viable grad transfer post player in the coming months.

The Bears have also gone hard after 6-11 5 star  Prolific Prep power forward Jordan Brown and are amongst his leading finalists a month after his official visit as he prepares to play in this weekend's McDonald's All-American game.

The Bears will look much different next season with a lot of new talent joining the team and their trio of key freshmen -guard Darius McNeill, wing Juhwan Harris-Dyson and forward Justice Sueing- will have a year of experience and a lot of minutes under their belt to help smooth the transition with Junior Paris Austin taking over at the point and five new players pushing to start or see solid minutes on the floor.

"They’re all hungry to get back out there and start their sophomore year and be able to put their freshman year in the rear view," said Jones of the trio. "Get ready to compete. They’re competitors. So they’re all working hard in their offseason workouts to try to get better so we don’t have to go through the type of season that we had this year.

“I think they stayed positive. I think they continued to fight. I think everybody saw that. They didn’t throw in the towel and continued to compete. It started with myself and my staff. 

"The best thing that happened to me this year is, late in the season I had a conversation with Pete Newell, Jr. and he said, ‘Coach, you’ll be fine.’ And I said, ‘Really?’ This was probably two months ago and he said to me, ‘My dad was 1-11 in conference his first year and 9-16 overall.’ And he said, ‘You’ll be fine.’ It made me feel better.”

Lest anyone feel that the added perspective and encouragement might be taken as license to take the Bears rebuilding project at a slow pace, one look in Jones' eyes will tell you that he and his staff never want to go through a season like last season's disaster again.

The ingredients the Bears are assembling for their 2018-19 season have the look of a far more competitive program. How competive will largely rest of the shoulders of the final key elements of the 2018 recruiting class as it comes together in the coming weeks.

Discussion from...

Jones Reflects on Season and Future of the Program

61,035 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by EricBear
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

oskidunker said:

Is Antevich suddenly get quick enough to play D1 basketball?
No comment, other than he's currently the tallest player on roster, so, yeah....
If Larry Bird was quick enough to be one of the top 20 players in NBA history, then Anticevich is quick enough to play D1 basketball.

(other factors besides quickness in play here, of course)
Bearprof
It's a myth that Bird wasn't quick. He had lightning reactions. Sorta slow of foot maybe....

Big C said:

concordtom said:

oskidunker said:

No comment, other than he's currently the tallest player on roster, so, yeah....
If Larry Bird was quick enough to be one of the top 20 players in NBA history, then Anticevich is quick enough to play D1 basketball.

(other factors besides quickness in play here, of course)
Chapman_is_Gone
Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Civil Bear said:

concordtom said:

But I missed your prediction that he stays.
What do you think about others on the roster?
If someone put a gun to my head and asked who were the three most likely to leave, I'd have to go with McCullough, Anticevich, and McNeill. That's not to say I think three more will leave. The first for obvious reasons, the second because he is a long way from home and didn't appear to fit into the scheme as a frosh, and the third because he is also far from home, he has shown a willingness to change teams in the past, he didn't exactly show the best body language when things didn't go his way, and he may feel like he has been recruited over.

I would suggest blind speculation is not helpful

I am not speculating to say that McNeil tweeted something very positive about the future of the team, Dyson posted a video referencing his no.2 for the Bears, and Sueing said in an interview earlier that 'we plan to stay together'

We are all Cal fans and root for the players to succeed, but remember that we discuss opinions and analysis here and don't necessarily couch all of our words and thoughts so that they will be "helpful".

This conversation is plenty respectful to the players, IMO. It's like when we discuss individual players' performances and abilities in a candid but respectful fashion. It's fine. (Sure, sometimes posters will cross the line and berate the players, which isn't fine, but this isn't one of those situations. Again, my opinion.)
fair enough Big C. I would say that my statement was stated in the most respectful manner. it was a mere suggestion
Yes, I think we're pretty much on the same page. Go Bears!
Find a room, you two.
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

I saw him play some minutes, and I didn't notice all this lack of quickness we are hearing about. Even so, what does it matter? If we can trot Kingsley Okoroh, perhaps the slowest, least quick player ever to start for a Cal team, out there onto the court to play major minutes, then it should be no barrier to Anticevich getting minutes. As to D1, I think when you have few good bigs or no good bigs, then you have to go with the closest thing you've got, at least some of the time. You can beat some teams with a lineup of no one over 6'-6", but some of them you will not be able to beat, like a team with an Ayton, for example.

As to quickness, the aforementioned Kingsley Okoroh did get faster and a bit quicker over his 4 years. He improved. In my own anecdotal experience, as a high school freshman, I was the 2nd slowest player on the basketball team. As a senior, I was the 2nd fastest. Another point is playing smart can get you to look a lot quicker than you are. Such as knowing your man, and knowing where he would like to go before he starts to move. You can make your move early to stop or intercept him and keep him from every getting to his spot.

Anticevich may not be quick, but he can shoot decently inside, and he can rebound. He has some skills, more than Roman Davis, and is a better shot than Okoroh. Years ago, my friend, Camden Wall, was the Cal center. He was tall and he could shoot, but he was perhaps as slow as Okoroh, maybe more. He averaged nearly 15-20 points and was named All-conference one season, as I remember.

Either Eric or Greg pointed out that Anticevich had been giving less effort as the season progressed, which was probably why he was not playing. That is a bigger problem than lack of quickness, but that is mental, and should be easier to correct than making your self physically quicker.

TheSouseFamily
No way would I pull the plug on Anticevich just yet. Some times, it just takes longer for big guys to develop, get their footwork down and fill out their bodies. I've made the Josh Hawkinson comparison in the past and still think it holds. Even a guy like Moritz Wagner was a non-factor as a freshman, getting 8 mins a game and average 3 points. I think patience will be rewarded with Grant.
concordtom
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Civil Bear said:

concordtom said:

But I missed your prediction that he stays.
What do you think about others on the roster?
If someone put a gun to my head and asked who were the three most likely to leave, I'd have to go with McCullough, Anticevich, and McNeill. That's not to say I think three more will leave. The first for obvious reasons, the second because he is a long way from home and didn't appear to fit into the scheme as a frosh, and the third because he is also far from home, he has shown a willingness to change teams in the past, he didn't exactly show the best body language when things didn't go his way, and he may feel like he has been recruited over.

I would suggest blind speculation is not helpful

I am not speculating to say that McNeil tweeted something very positive about the future of the team, Dyson posted a video referencing his no.2 for the Bears, and Sueing said in an interview earlier that 'we plan to stay together'

We are all Cal fans and root for the players to succeed, but remember that we discuss opinions and analysis here and don't necessarily couch all of our words and thoughts so that they will be "helpful".

This conversation is plenty respectful to the players, IMO. It's like when we discuss individual players' performances and abilities in a candid but respectful fashion. It's fine. (Sure, sometimes posters will cross the line and berate the players, which isn't fine, but this isn't one of those situations. Again, my opinion.)
fair enough Big C. I would say that my statement was stated in the most respectful manner. it was a mere suggestion
Yes, I think we're pretty much on the same page. Go Bears!
Find a room, you two.
It's truly Blind Dating.
They have no idea what the other looks like.
That's a funny scene, watching them fondle each other, but then I suppose someone will accuse me of being insensitive to the blind, though they can't even read this, so. Wow, that right there WAS insensitive. Sorry.
concordtom
SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

I saw him play some minutes, and I didn't notice all this lack of quickness we are hearing about. Even so, what does it matter? If we can trot Kingsley Okoroh, perhaps the slowest, least quick player ever to start for a Cal team, out there onto the court to play major minutes, then it should be no barrier to Anticevich getting minutes. As to D1, I think when you have few good bigs or no good bigs, then you have to go with the closest thing you've got, at least some of the time.
Hold on a second.
Grant is 6-8 at best.
Okoroh 7-1.

That's 5 inches. If I were 5 inches taller, I'd have played D1, not JC.
concordtom
TheSouseFamily said:

No way would I pull the plug on Anticevich just yet. Some times, it just takes longer for big guys to develop, get their footwork down and fill out their bodies. I've made the Josh Hawkinson comparison in the past and still think it holds. Even a guy like Moritz Wagner was a non-factor as a freshman, getting 8 mins a game and average 3 points. I think patience will be rewarded with Grant.
Grant is not a "big guy".
SFCityBear
concordtom said:

SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

I saw him play some minutes, and I didn't notice all this lack of quickness we are hearing about. Even so, what does it matter? If we can trot Kingsley Okoroh, perhaps the slowest, least quick player ever to start for a Cal team, out there onto the court to play major minutes, then it should be no barrier to Anticevich getting minutes. As to D1, I think when you have few good bigs or no good bigs, then you have to go with the closest thing you've got, at least some of the time.
Hold on a second.
Grant is 6-8 at best.
Okoroh 7-1.

That's 5 inches. If I were 5 inches taller, I'd have played D1, not JC.
I wasn't comparing their height. Don't they play different positions most of the time? I was only comparing their quickness as "bigs". BTW, isn't Okoroh 7-1 "at best"?

Just because someone is 7-1 doesn't mean he gets playing time in D1. Dare I mention Geoffrey Frid?

And I'm not suggesting Anticevich should have gotten minutes instead of KO. I just was responding to the comment that he was not quick enough for D-1. The most likely role for Anticevich, if he was the best option, would have been as a sub for Marcus Lee, since Lee had to play both PF and center, and was often in foul trouble.
EricBear
Staff
SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

I saw him play some minutes, and I didn't notice all this lack of quickness we are hearing about. Even so, what does it matter? If we can trot Kingsley Okoroh, perhaps the slowest, least quick player ever to start for a Cal team, out there onto the court to play major minutes, then it should be no barrier to Anticevich getting minutes. As to D1, I think when you have few good bigs or no good bigs, then you have to go with the closest thing you've got, at least some of the time. You can beat some teams with a lineup of no one over 6'-6", but some of them you will not be able to beat, like a team with an Ayton, for example.

As to quickness, the aforementioned Kingsley Okoroh did get faster and a bit quicker over his 4 years. He improved. In my own anecdotal experience, as a high school freshman, I was the 2nd slowest player on the basketball team. As a senior, I was the 2nd fastest. Another point is playing smart can get you to look a lot quicker than you are. Such as knowing your man, and knowing where he would like to go before he starts to move. You can make your move early to stop or intercept him and keep him from every getting to his spot.

Anticevich may not be quick, but he can shoot decently inside, and he can rebound. He has some skills, more than Roman Davis, and is a better shot than Okoroh. Years ago, my friend, Camden Wall, was the Cal center. He was tall and he could shoot, but he was perhaps as slow as Okoroh, maybe more. He averaged nearly 15-20 points and was named All-conference one season, as I remember.

Either Eric or Greg pointed out that Anticevich had been giving less effort as the season progressed, which was probably why he was not playing. That is a bigger problem than lack of quickness, but that is mental, and should be easier to correct than making your self physically quicker.

I don't believe I ever stated, or suggested, that Grant was "giving less effort as the season progressed." What I believe I said was that, in my opinion, he didn't practice hard enough - most likely because he didn't know how to. Not really an effort issue, and not "less as the season progressed." He needed to practice with the intensity of Cole Welle, and I didn't see that. I think it is a personality issue as much as anything else. But if it persists, he won't be able to play at this level. Coaches were very vocal with him. They know his demeanor needs a toughness upgrade.

I still have faith. In many respects Grant fits the modern game given his ability to pass and shoot. Backup 4 or 5 in a small ball lineup. I really like his shooting stroke. Watched it a ton in warmups this season, and in a number of practices. Good form and soft touch.

If we get Vanover, and Grant stays and improves - particularly quickness and intensity - in a couple years we could have a rotation (however briefly) where all five guys on the court can shoot the three. One of whom is 7'4".

Three positIves for Grant from this season stand out to me: first half defense and toughness against Wichita State kept us in the game when Marcus and Kinglsey were on the bench with immediate foul trouble; his passing and ball handling against the press against SDSU; and of course the huge 3FG against Stanford. For a guy who probably shouldn't even have been playing this season, I'll take it. A start.

Big offseason for Grant.

SFCityBear
EricBear said:

SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

I don't believe I ever stated, or suggested, that Grant was "giving less effort as the season progressed." What I believe I said was that, in my opinion, he didn't practice hard enough - most likely because he didn't know how to. Not really an effort issue, and not "less as the season progressed." He needed to practice with the intensity of Cole Welle, and I didn't see that. I think it is a personality issue as much as anything else. But if it persists, he won't be able to play at this level. Coaches were very vocal with him. They know his demeanor needs a toughness upgrade.

I still have faith. In many respects Grant fits the modern game given his ability to pass and shoot. Backup 4 or 5 in a small ball lineup. I really like his shooting stroke. Watched it a ton in warmups this season, and in a number of practices. Good form and soft touch.

If we get Vanover, and Grant stays and improves - particularly quickness and intensity - in a couple years we could have a rotation (however briefly) where all five guys on the court can shoot the three. One of whom is 7'4".

Three positIves for Grant from this season stand out to me: first half defense and toughness against Wichita State kept us in the game when Marcus and Kinglsey were on the bench with immediate foul trouble; his passing and ball handling against the press against SDSU; and of course the huge 3FG against Stanford. For a guy who probably shouldn't even have been playing this season, I'll take it. A start.

Big offseason for Grant.

Eric,

Thanks for writing this. I apologize for misstating what you said early about Anticevich. I should have looked it up. Lots of players have been able to get tougher and more aggressive, Hopefully, he will be one too.
EricBear
Staff
It was a fair interpretation. I just didn't want anyone to think that I believed his intensity waned as the season progressed. It's a personality thing, in my opinion.

Reminds me of the Australian PGA Tour star Adam Scott. Both seem unflappable, always calm and pleasant, but toughness is questioned (insert joke here about toughness of golfers, if you'd like).

I think Grant can figure it out and have a productive career.

Thanks for your contributions to this board. I enjoy reading your stuff.
NVGolfingBear
Careful EricBear...

The toughest 5 inches in golf is between the ears and IMO, Adam Scott, well, his elevator doesn't reach the top floor.
EricBear
Staff
NVGolfingBear said:

Careful EricBear...

The toughest 5 inches in golf is between the ears and IMO, Adam Scott, well, his elevator doesn't reach the top floor.

I love golf and my little guy is already a tournament golfer, so I get it. Brutal sport. Others here might not agree, but I do.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.