Jaylen Brown - Celtics playoffs

15,928 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NewYorkCityBear said:

EricBear said:

He's making the Lakes look like fools for selecting Ingram over him.

Cuonzo didn't exactly coach him up and showcase his talent. Very few people who watched every one of JB's games for Cal saw this coming.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
NewYorkCityBear
bearister said:

NewYorkCityBear said:

EricBear said:

Cuonzo didn't exactly coach him up and showcase his talent. Very few people who watched every one of JB's games for Cal saw this coming.
Danny Ainge clearly did.
GMP
NewYorkCityBear said:

bearister said:

NewYorkCityBear said:

EricBear said:

Danny Ainge clearly did.
I did, too.

I think many on this board are very poor at projecting college players to the NBA. It's a very different game. But because the college talent level is lower, many seem to think that a good NBA player must be dominant, even near-perfect. Especially a then-freshman like Jaylen is still learning the game, and is playing in a poorly officiated level of basketball. The famous line about the only person in college who could stop Michael Jordan is Dean Smith still rings true. A guy like Ben Simmons struggled a bit in college, and didn't even make the tournament. Joel Embiid is another guy like that - he averaged just 11/8 in his year at Kansas.

EricBear
Staff
NewYorkCityBear said:

bearister said:

NewYorkCityBear said:

EricBear said:

Danny Ainge clearly did.
Right. Jaylen was generally considered a top-5 pick, so many did see this as a possibility.

The analytics were poor on him - FT%, 3FG%, turnovers, etc. It was difficult for many to reconcile what they saw (elite athleticism, top-end competitiveness, certain plays only the best can make) with the analytics. A couple months after the draft I had about a 45 minute conversation with the leadership of Second Spectrum (SecondSpectrum.com) regarding Jaylen. Their analytics had him much lower than where he went. I argued for why he was the right pick at 3 and why the analytics weren't entirely accurate on him. It was a fun conversation. Celtics have been at the forefront of the analytics movement, so obviously yes, Ainge saw a lot there beyond what some of the data was suggesting. Remember, Celtics fans were generally unhappy with the pick.
BeachedBear
Watching Jaylen last night, reminded me that Boston was a great fit for him (and him for Boston). Give credit to Ainge and company to make the best of the opportunity and their stockpiling of picks. Someone also mentioned the Lakers passing on Jaylen for Brandon Ingram. Part of me thinks that if the picks were switched, we wouldn't be watching JB in the playoffs with the Lakers (and the Celtics might still be in the playoffs).
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
Bobodeluxe
Give Conzo credit.
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
A must read:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23245604/the-revival-jaylen-brown-boston-celtics-surging-star-nba
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
More sweet Jaylen gear.

calumnus
bearister said:

concordtom said:

EricBear said:

I wonder what's going on with their FT%.
It's mental, and maybe the staff has found the predatory remedy.

Too bad guys like wilt and Shaq never overcame.

With regard to Shaq and Wilt, try shooting a FT with a softball. That is how small the ball felt in their hands.

The problem is more that they are close to the same height as the basket. If you shoot from a lower point, the ball can reach the basket just after it reaches the top of its arcso the speed of the ball when it reaches the basket is minimized and you are more likely to get "the bounce." How'ever, if released from a higher point, the ball either has to have a lot of forward momentum (and is flat, likely to hit the heel and bounce off) or it has to arc higher and further from the basket, giving the ball a lot of downward momentum when it reaches the basket.

More big men should shoot free throws underhand.
south bender
Physics may explain some of it, but there are too many tall guys who can make free throwsNowitzki, Durant, Jokic, to name a fewto see some significant disadvantage per se of height...
concordtom
EricBear said:

NewYorkCityBear said:

bearister said:

NewYorkCityBear said:

EricBear said:

Danny Ainge clearly did.
Right. Jaylen was generally considered a top-5 pick, so many did see this as a possibility.

The analytics were poor on him - FT%, 3FG%, turnovers, etc. It was difficult for many to reconcile what they saw (elite athleticism, top-end competitiveness, certain plays only the best can make) with the analytics. A couple months after the draft I had about a 45 minute conversation with the leadership of Second Spectrum (SecondSpectrum.com) regarding Jaylen. Their analytics had him much lower than where he went. I argued for why he was the right pick at 3 and why the analytics weren't entirely accurate on him. It was a fun conversation. Celtics have been at the forefront of the analytics movement, so obviously yes, Ainge saw a lot there beyond what some of the data was suggesting. Remember, Celtics fans were generally unhappy with the pick.
Darn. I can't +1 a staff comment. Consider it done.
concordtom
calumnus said:

bearister said:

concordtom said:

EricBear said:

I wonder what's going on with their FT%.
It's mental, and maybe the staff has found the predatory remedy.

Too bad guys like wilt and Shaq never overcame.

With regard to Shaq and Wilt, try shooting a FT with a softball. That is how small the ball felt in their hands.

The problem is more that they are close to the same height as the basket. If you shoot from a lower point, the ball can reach the basket just after it reaches the top of its arcso the speed of the ball when it reaches the basket is minimized and you are more likely to get "the bounce." How'ever, if released from a higher point, the ball either has to have a lot of forward momentum (and is flat, likely to hit the heel and bounce off) or it has to arc higher and further from the basket, giving the ball a lot of downward momentum when it reaches the basket.

More big men should shoot free throws underhand.
I agree with your physics analysis. I bent way low on my free throws for this reason! Wanted to ball to die with no kinetic energy left as it arrived on scene.
bearister
concordtom
south bender said:

Physics may explain some of it, but there are too many tall guys who can make free throwsNowitzki, Durant, Jokic, to name a fewto see some significant disadvantage per se of height...
Of course, this is entirely true, too.
Anybody can become a good FT shooter, in my opinion.
BeachedBear
My FT mechanics haven't changed in almost 40 years (and they are fine). When I played a lot of basketball regularly, my percentage was about 75%. When I don't play regularly, it drops below 50%. When I practice A LOT - it can get to almost 85%.

That very small sample size (and also EVERYTHING I've observed as a fan and coach) tells me that size plays a relatively small percentage and physics can be mitigated with mechanics. PRACTICE accounts for much more than the other factors (also helps refine and hone mechanics).
EricBear
Staff
HoopDreams
EricBear said:

Cool highlight
Video game influence
bearister
JB getting tired back in Game 4. Celtic game ball: JB
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
Big C
Gosh it woulda been nice to have had the current iteration of Jaylen Brown playing for us.

I wonder, though, if this past year's Cal team had had the current Jaylen Brown, if we would've even won half of our games.

Well, how about the current Brown and Ivan Rabb (both would still be juniors)? Geez, I guess you'd have to throw Ty Wallace in there, too, just to have somebody to run the show.

Well, you would still need more shooters, so you'd need Jabari Bird and Jordan Mathews. What a Dream Team!

Wait, we once had all those guys on the same roster?!?
GMP
Big C said:

Gosh it woulda been nice to have had the current iteration of Jaylen Brown playing for us.

I wonder, though, if this past year's Cal team had had the current Jaylen Brown, if we would've even won half of our games.

Well, how about the current Brown and Ivan Rabb (both would still be juniors)? Geez, I guess you'd have to throw Ty Wallace in there, too, just to have somebody to run the show.

Well, you would still need more shooters, so you'd need Jabari Bird and Jordan Mathews. What a Dream Team!

Wait, we once had all those guys on the same roster?!?
1. I think you missed the part in your own post where you said the "current Brown and Ivan Rabb". The current Brown and Rabb could have never played for Cal with Bird, Mathews, and Wallace.

2. The frosh Brown and Rabb did play with those guys and, despite your snark, had Cal's BEST ever NCAA Tourney seed, before injuries to Wallace and Bird, plus a fired in disgrace assistant coach, all in about the three days before the tournament, left the team short handed. But I'm sure you know that; you just choose to be negative.
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.