NBA Finals 2018..are we ready?

9,652 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sonofabear51
MinotStateBeav
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wanted to show you guys this video of a preview of the NBA finals for the next 30 years :P
GMP
MinotStateBeav said:

Wanted to show you guys this video of a preview of the NBA finals for the next 30 years :P

I'm surprised people online (non Warriors/Cavs fans) seem so bored by this. This is awesome? How can you be sick of this? I was born in 1982, so the first memory I have of the NBA is I believe the 1988 Finals, Kareem's farewell. I missed all three Celtics/Lakers matchup that decade, and those games are revered.

Now we get four straight of possibly the best team ever against possibly the best player ever and people are sick of it?

I think the Warriors should win easy, but the Vegas odds (Warriors -1000, Cavs +680) are nuts. Yeah, most of the Cavs kinda suck, but they have LeBron and that makes up for a lot, and the Warriors look tired. If I was a gambling man, I'd take the Cavs at those odds.

I'm also enjoying it because my almost-four year old is getting really into it. He loves Curry, Draymond, and LeBron.
concordtom
So, what am I missing here?
Odds are, bet $1000 on Warriors to win $100
Or
Bet $100 to win just $680.

So, the difference is $320.
Is that the house's take? 32%???
bearister

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concernedparent
GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

I'm surprised people online (non Warriors/Cavs fans) seem so bored by this. This is awesome? How can you be sick of this? I was born in 1982, so the first memory I have of the NBA is I believe the 1988 Finals, Kareem's farewell. I missed all three Celtics/Lakers matchup that decade, and those games are revered.

Because the real NBA final was the Western Conference championship.
OneKeg
concordtom said:

So, what am I missing here?
Odds are, bet $1000 on Warriors to win $100
Or
Bet $100 to win just $680.

So, the difference is $320.
Is that the house's take? 32%???

Yes the house takes more (when calculated that way) the further away from 50-50 you get. Much closer spreads could lead to say +110 /-130 money lines.

If forced to bet (which I'm not), I'd take a flyer on Cavs +680. You never know - Warriors could suffer injuries and/or play their worst basketball of the year and Lebron could lose his mind. I would expect to lose that bet though. GSW are deservedly big favorites.
R90
Bet $1000 on the Warriors to win $100 and end up with $1100.
Bet $141.03 on the Cavaliers to win $959 and end up with $1100.03 (based on $100 to win $680).

Betting a total of $1141.03 leaves you with about $1100.00.
Your guaranteed loss is about 3.6%.

The house is happy with a guaranteed 3.6% if bettors wager about 7.1 times as much on the Warriors with those odds.
concordtom
R90 said:

Bet $1000 on the Warriors to win $100 and end up with $1100.
Bet $141.03 on the Cavaliers to win $959 and end up with $1100.03 (based on $100 to win $680).

Betting a total of $1141.03 leaves you with about $1100.00.
Your guaranteed loss is about 3.6%.

The house is happy with a guaranteed 3.6% if bettors wager about 7.1 times as much on the Warriors with those odds.
Thank you. I knew someone would be able to do the right math for me!
You win the prize, R90.
oskidunker
  • Cant stand the announcer on tonight's game. No credit given tonthe warriors. Just constant bashing of the Cavs. Very unenjoyable to listen to this crap.
Go Bears!
bearister
oskidunker said:

• Cant stand the announcer on tonight's game. No credit given tonthe warriors. Just constant bashing of the Cavs. Very unenjoyable to listen to this crap.

Towards the end Mark Jackson opined that the Warriors' toughness was a game changer in the Finals. My a$$. Joe Lacob's anti trust like proclivities was the difference. Bad for basketball. Horrible Finals and tonight was unwatchable. If Klay doesn't get a multi year deal paying at least $28 million a year he should join Lebron on the Lakers, make bank and give Lacob a dose of his own medicine. Oh, and on his way out of town Klay can say, "Hey Joe, nothing personal, just bidness."
concordtom
Bitter much?
bearister
concordtom said:

Bitter much?

"Lacob, who has worked in venture capital for three decades, has an open, expressive face and broad shoulders. He's six feet tall but seems taller." NY Times, 2016
After the game tonight Doris Burke looked taller and had broader shoulders.
ducky23
bearister said:

oskidunker said:

Towards the end Mark Jackson opined that the Warriors' toughness was a game changer in the Finals. My a$$. Joe Lacob's anti trust like proclivities was the difference. Bad for basketball. Horrible Finals and tonight was unwatchable. If Klay doesn't get a multi year deal paying at least $28 million a year he should join Lebron on the Lakers, make bank and give Lacob a dose of his own medicine. Oh, and on his way out of town Klay can say, "Hey Joe, nothing personal, just bidness."

Agreed. Stupid ass lacob. How dare he want to win.
OneKeg
Nice sweep by Warriors for the title. Lacob may be d@uchey but I'm glad he's trying to put the best team together. Did he break any rules?

Anyway, sounds like LeBron has a good excuse. He hurt his hand punching something after losing game 1 and "pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand."

Good move.

Yogi58
bearister said:

oskidunker said:

Suck on that hate-sicle. Suck it hard.
helltopay1
my angle is to what extant, if any, the warriors help with cal's recruiting. Their winning cannot hurt, and it is reasonable to suppose that, if other things are equal. a recruit will lean cal because he values the proximity to the warriors. Also helps that kerrs' kid played for Cal. cal MUST strike while the iron is hot. "hey---come to Cal and we'll get you free tickets for the Warrior games." sound good??
calumnus
helltopay1 said:

my angle is to what extant, if any, the warriors help with cal's recruiting. Their winning cannot hurt, and it is reasonable to suppose that, if other things are equal. a recruit will lean cal because he values the proximity to the warriors. Also helps that kerrs' kid played for Cal. cal MUST strike while the iron is hot. "hey---come to Cal and we'll get you free tickets for the Warrior games." sound good??

1. I think we should use the connection as much as possible. Maybe practice at the Warriors' practice facility on occasion?
2. The Warriors's success shows the importance of three point shooting. We need to rectuit shooters.
ducky23
You want a cal-warriors connection?

Ryan Anderson's contract may get the dubs 2-3 more straight titles.
Yogi58
ducky23 said:

The Dubs can get those titles on their own merit.

Frankly, I wish we could go back to the days when Anderson was most known for all the threes he hit as a stretch four instead of the two things he's most known for now. I'm sure the money doesn't hurt, but as recent news has shown us, being wealthy and well-known doesn't always equate to life happiness.

If it weren't for that contract, I bet the Warriors could have gotten some use out of him in a Speights type role.
concordtom
being wealthy and well-known doesn't always equate to life happiness.

Ouch. That hurt, considering you said that in a post about Ryan. Unintended I'm sure.

If I'm Ryan, I'm VERY happy to have his contract. I'm a Ryan fan, and am very happy for him to have that contract. Good shooter, too slow to defend inthis new age of switching.
bearister
Yogi Bear said:

bearister said:

oskidunker said:

Suck on that hate-sicle. Suck it hard.

Greg Papa said that the Warriors didn't make the playoffs for 18 or 19 years. I suppose from that perspective the longtime fans earned the right to stack the deck and rub it in a little bit. I do look forward to more competive Finals in the future, however.
socaltownie
game 1 was great basketball. After that it was an enjoyable warriors practice to see how the ball moves.

The warriors have shooters (obviously) but they also move so well without the rock and are great passers (especially Green) who really is the straw that mixes the drink. KD is....well...amazeballs and is such a great safety net when the clock is running down but I am not sure ISO works when the goal is to maintain defensive intensity. The action on the offensive end translates into how hard they work and run on the defensive.
joe amos yaks
When LbJ sat early the Cav's lost their leadership and movement and their fans lost their pride and poise.
They were broken.
It started with the game #1 loss to the W's.
That's a sad ending to an otherwise excellent playoff season for Cleveland.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
bearister
I'm thinking Ayesha Curry is pretty p*ssed right about now.
ducky23
Yogi Bear said:

ducky23 said:

Frankly, I wish we could go back to the days when Anderson was most known for all the threes he hit as a stretch four instead of the two things he's most known for now. I'm sure the money doesn't hurt, but as recent news has shown us, being wealthy and well-known doesn't always equate to life happiness.

If it weren't for that contract, I bet the Warriors could have gotten some use out of him in a Speights type role.

Im pretty sure you don't understand what I'm referring to. That's cool
HoopDreams
Cavs gave up by middle of 4th quarter if not sooner. They weren't even going hard for rebounds and loose balls.

KD was trying to get Curry the MVP in the last quarter, and Curry was pressing to win it. But Curry also gave the ball to KD. Mutual respect.

I do think Curry deserved the MVP. It was close, and his horrible game 3 sank him. Still I think teams are so worried about his 3s, that others get lots of space and open looks. KD is superman and can make his own shot on any possession, but Curry (and Green) are what make the Warriors so unique.
UrsaMajor
Interesting fact:

The Warriors have been great twice since coming to the Bay, 1974-1976 when they won their first title and had the league's best record the next year, and this 4 year run. Unlike many other teams that dominate, they both did so by redefining the game. In the 70's, rotations were typically short, 7 or at most 8 players got meaningful minutes, and teams slowed the pace and pounded it inside. Along comes Al Attles and the Warriors who went 12 men deep every night, who played two centers (George Johnson and Clifford Ray) equal minutes and ran everybody off the court. Sea change.

Fast forward to the present and the Warriors once again redefine the NBA with their pass-heavy motion offense designed to get jump shots. Once again, sea change.
bearister
HoopDreams said:

Cavs gave up by middle of 4th quarter if not sooner. They weren't even going hard for rebounds and loose balls.

KD was trying to get Curry the MVP in the last quarter, and Curry was pressing to win it. But Curry also gave the ball to KD. Mutual respect.

I do think Curry deserved the MVP. It was close, and his horrible game 3 sank him. Still I think teams are so worried about his 3s, that others get lots of space and open looks. KD is superman and can make his own shot on any possession, but Curry (and Green) are what make the Warriors so unique.

Here is the tale of the tape:

KD: Boards 43; Assists 30; Points 115

Curry: 24; 27; 110

If you are are Curry advocate you would point out the rebound differential is irrelevant because KD is a 7 footer. If you are a KD advocate you would point out that Curry is a PG and as such should have a lot more assists, but KD had more.
Bottom line: Real close. Take your pick.
concordtom
I'm guessing that KD shot a much higher shooting percentage, too.
I think curry was also trying to win it, and that I'd et al wanted him to, but curry needed to hit a higher percentage of shots.

I told my wife, we've seen curry's peak as a player. His quickness is never going to be as fast again. I'm not saying he falls off a cliff, but he'll never be what he was in these past years.
bearister
concordtom said:

I think curry was also trying to win it, and that I'd et al wanted him to, but curry needed to hit a higher percentage of shots.

I told my wife, we've seen curry's peak as a player. His quickness is never going to be as fast again. I'm not saying he falls off a cliff, but he'll never be what he was in these past years.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/stephen-curry-6287/
concordtom
How stupid that Lebron messed up his hand!
He was fairly critical of the mental aspect of the Cavs in his pre game 4 interviews, and yet look what he did to himself!
Punched the wall in frustration after game 1 gaffe/loss by JR.
JR blew game 1, but Lebron was merely an all star in games 2/3/4, rather than his standard immortal following his "self-inflicted " injury.
Golden One
OneKeg said:

Nice sweep by Warriors for the title. Lacob may be d@uchey but I'm glad he's trying to put the best team together. Did he break any rules?

Anyway, sounds like LeBron has a good excuse. He hurt his hand punching something after losing game 1 and "pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand."

Good move.

LeBron always has an excuse. He's a great athlete, but he is also an accomplished whiner.
Yogi58
ducky23 said:

Yogi Bear said:

ducky23 said:

Your point wasn't hard to understand.
Yogi58
concordtom said:

We still have many good Curry years to look forward to.
ducky23
Yogi Bear said:

ducky23 said:

Yogi Bear said:

ducky23 said:

Your point wasn't hard to understand.

Really? Then I don't see how your response has anything to do with my point that Anderson's contract is the biggest hurdle for Houston getting lebron (if lebron so chooses to play with the rockets)
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.