NBA Finals 2018..are we ready?

9,833 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sonofabear51
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yogi Bear said:

bearister said:

I loved Bill King but wasn't Vin Scully a pretty decent baseball announcer?
He was decent.

Actually in my opinion, baseball was King's weakest sport. Same for Greg Papa. Both better doing basketball and football. Baseball is a sport that I think is generally done better by people who only do baseball.

For Bay Area baseball play by play I am a big fan of John Millerand this coming from a LA Dodger/Vin Scully loyalist.
Yogi58
sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

bearister said:

He was decent.

Actually in my opinion, baseball was King's weakest sport. Same for Greg Papa. Both better doing basketball and football. Baseball is a sport that I think is generally done better by people who only do baseball.

Scully was good at football too.
I dunno. Scully was the broadcaster for the 1981 NFC Championship game and on the deciding touchdown, there's really nothing memorable about that call to me - just the play is memorable. Compared to say the call on Kirk Gibson's HR vs. the A's, it's just not in the same league to me. He was good enough to do a good job, but I don't really think of him as excelling in football.
Yogi58
calumnus said:

Yogi Bear said:

bearister said:

He was decent.

For Bay Area baseball play by play I am a big fan of John Millerand this coming from a LA Dodger/Vin Scully loyalist.
My daughter's third grade teacher (Giants fan) hates Miller with the intensity of 1,000 suns. I always got a kick out of that.
GMP
Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

bearister said:

He was decent.

I dunno. Scully was the broadcaster for the 1981 NFC Championship game and on the deciding touchdown, there's really nothing memorable about that call to me - just the play is memorable. Compared to say the call on Kirk Gibson's HR vs. the A's, it's just not in the same league to me. He was good enough to do a good job, but I don't really think of him as excelling in football.

It's very Starkey-esque: great voice; if you're listening on radio, it's hard to know whats going on, but on TV it's perfect. And his call about Clark's height is iconic, if you ask me.
Yogi58
GMP said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

bearister said:

He was decent.

It's very Starkey-esque: great voice; if you're listening on radio, it's hard to know whats going on, but on TV it's perfect. And his call about Clark's height is iconic, if you ask me.
I love how hard you try to win at things that can't be won.
sycasey
GMP said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

bearister said:

He was decent.

Agreed. I think this is a great call actually.

Scully knew when he was announcing for TV vs radio and adjusted accordingly.
UrsaMajor
Yogi Bear said:

bearister said:

He was decent.

Maybe. But King paired with Lon Simmons was classic. As one critic put it, they don't call a game, they converse it.

In basketball, however, King was magnificent. I loved when he ripped the refs--never going off, just comments like: "I'm not angry, it's just that I am embarrassed for him; I mean what must his family think with him being so bad at his job."
SFCityBear
helltopay1 said:

Keith Olbermann??If only I had a 500 lb bar of soap to wash out his mouth.
Ditto. He was the forerunner of modern day journalism. Because he got away with it, it encouraged thousands to try it.
GMP
Yogi Bear said:

GMP said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

bearister said:

He was decent.

I love how hard you try to win at things that can't be won.
And I love your total lack of self-awareness.
bearister
Big C said:

bearister said:

SFCityBear said:

....Was your Big Art the same guy who had a band called "Big Art and the Trash Masters" who played in the clubs down on San Pablo Ave in the 1970's? They wore shades, levis and white t-shirts, and looked like motorcycle mechanics. They played '50s rock and roll. Smoking hot!

SFCB, I don't know the answer to your question. My memory going back 42 years is that Art was a stocky clean shaven guy with a full head of blond hair in a surfer cut. I also know that Johnny "Love" Metheny was a bartender there and probably had an ownership interest in Big Art's.
It was a very cramped space. The bands I saw play there included Eddie Money, Delta Wires and Arm and Hammer. It was also the place I was physically threatened by Tom Bates' bodymen when he was running for the State Assembly.
Big Art's wasn't around after the mid-1970s, was it? In which case Johnny "Love" Metheny would've been about five years too young to tend bar there.

You are correct, Sir. I found the article linked below. Johnny Love would have been too young. Someone told me that Love was involved at Big Art's several years back. As Bogart said in Casablanca, "I was misinformed." I think the rest of my memories about the place still fly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfgate.com/living/amp/Bartender-Johnny-Love-Metheny-branches-out-4003942.php
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sonofabear51
Those were incredible radio and basketball days. Bill King was the best.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.