Best Way to Get Tickets for Saint Mary's Game

5,262 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oskidunker
SonomanA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The below is from the Saint Mary's website. I plan on going and assume many fellow Cal fans will too. I have some questions. What is the best way to get tickets for the game? How is parking? Will there be any Cal pregame activities? Where is a good place to eat nearby?

Go Bears!

June 21, 2018

MORAGA, Calif. Saint Mary's men's basketball has set the date for its top non-conference home game of the 2018-19 season. The Gaels will meet the Cal Bears on Saturday, Dec. 1 at McKeon Pavilion.

The home game at McKeon Pavilion will mark the first time since Feb. 16, 1988 that Cal will make the trip 12-mile trip to the campus of Saint Mary's.

This year's game against Cal is the second game of a three-game series of the Caldecott Classic, which began with a 74-63 Saint Mary's victory last season in Berkeley.

Season ticket holders looking to secure their seats for this upcoming season can contact the development office at athleticdev@stmarys-ca.edu or call 925-631-4966.

Fans can now put a deposit down for new season tickets for the upcoming season by CLICKING HERE

The Gaels have won three out of the last four meetings with Cal, and won the last home game of the series in 1988, 61-51. The game time for this season's match-up will be determined at
concordtom
Moragabear is sure to have a few words about this. He could walk there.

Let's see if he recommends any Rheem eats.

Someone else will add to my Chow Chow suggestion. (Lafayette)
The Cooperage?
Uncle Yu's?
Petars was my grandmother's favorite, rip.
concordtom
We should have an eternal home-away with them.
Duke-UNC
sonofabear51
Bring back Kay's Carousal! Oh the fries!
Big C
I was nostalgically sad to learn that the Rheem bowling alley is no longer in existence. When I was 13-15, our favorite summer day-trip was to bicycle from Oakland (over the back hills), have lunch, bowl a game or two, then ride back. Killed pretty much the whole day!
sonofabear51
Agreed. The Rheem Bowl closed quite a while ago, so I am told. Condos are there now apparently. Grew up in Moraga. Spent many a day, and night either bowling or playing pinball there in the late '70's into the '80's.
ducky23
sonofabear51 said:

Agreed. The Rheem Bowl closed quite a while ago, so I am told. Condos are there now apparently. Grew up in Moraga. Spent many a day, and night either bowling or playing pinball there in the late '70's into the '80's.

Back when I was in school (late 90's) the owner/manager (don't know who exactly) was notorious for yelling at pretty much every high school aged kid who walked in there. Shocking that they eventually closed down with that type of customer service
prospeCt

Moraga Barn, or bust, Vintage House, Neldam's Danish Bakery, Ottino's, Black's for a porterhouse & a six of Anchor Porter

"Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it ", if so inclined, & beneficent 🙏🏼
concordtom
Big C said:

I was nostalgically sad to learn that the Rheem bowling alley is no longer in existence. When I was 13-15, our favorite summer day-trip was to bicycle from Oakland (over the back hills), have lunch, bowl a game or two, then ride back. Killed pretty much the whole day!
I spent many childhood days there with dad and brother. We'd go to thrifty across the way for ice cream, 5 cent single scoop, 10 cent double, 15 triple.

In high school, never went, which seems stupid to me now. And then it was gone, loooong time ago.

Sad.
concordtom
sonofabear51 said:

I bet you played this same machine as I did. Do you remember it there?

Funny, some things that happened last week I forget, but I remember this machine there. Seemed more thrilling at 9 years old, though.

concordtom
prospeCt said:

Moraga Barn, or bust, Vintage House, Neldam's Danish Bakery, Ottino's, Black's for a porterhouse & a six of Anchor Porter

Black's is loooong gone.
Ottino's has been "Europa" for a long time. Mr. Ottino used to live near my friend on Orchard.
i think my brother was a dishwasher at vintage house.

orinda is too far from st. Mary's. Ya gotta go Rheem or Lafayette for this game, freeway there...
You can get your beers at the roundup saloon.

SonomanA1
I'm glad everyone has fond memories of Moraga. I'm a north coast guy, but I did have a relative who lived in Orinda. Maybe someone has connections to buy a block of tickets for Cal fans. I would be interested in meeting with fellow fans either before or after the game depending on the time of the game. I know The Fourth Bore has been supportive of Cal. Is that too far?

Go Bears!
sonofabear51
Yes, I remember that pinball game at the Rheem Bowl was very popular. Sometimes there was a line waiting for it. LOL
concordtom
I recall when the vote for a fourth bore came up. My uncle, who lives on the hill above Nations, voted against it. I asked him if he was flipping crazy. He said he didn't want to encourage people to move further east of him causing more traffic. I said, buddy, there is already a million or more living behind you for the last 20 years. It's too late for that, and you have back up at the Caldecott in BOTH directions, meaning you are screwed already!

The fourth bore is SO MUCH better! I always make a point of teasing him.

So, is that a new bar or restaurant? I, too, am showing my age.
oskidunker
this is all interestingnimfo but how do we get tickets?
Go Bears!
ColoradoBear
I went to a SMC vs Gonzaga game in Moraga a few years back. It was not hard to get tickets on their website by going on the first day of their public sale. Parking on campus was easy and they had food trucks and beer trucks near the arena. The GA section filled up quickly (I think almost 1/2 of the place is GA), so it might have been a good idea to have one fewer beers and get in line before the arena opened. We are all tall, so we ended up standing behind everyone in a sro section near the wall.

I would check this page periodically to see when the update the public sale from tbd to an actual date.

http://www.smcgaels.com/tickets/mens-basketball-tickets.html

Big C
concordtom said:

I recall when the vote for a fourth bore came up. My uncle, who lives on the hill above Nations, voted against it. I asked him if he was flipping crazy. He said he didn't want to encourage people to move further east of him causing more traffic. I said, buddy, there is already a million or more living behind you for the last 20 years. It's too late for that, and you have back up at the Caldecott in BOTH directions, meaning you are screwed already!

The fourth bore is SO MUCH better! I always make a point of teasing him.

So, is that a new bar or restaurant? I, too, am showing my age.
Remember the 680/24 interchange before they re-configured it? Holy crap!!!

I did the counter-commute through the Caldecott for over a decade. It was a GODSEND when they finished the 4th bore.

I consider myself an environmentalist and I know there are those of my ilk who say that widening the highways is bad, but I have to strongly disagree. Think of all the gas wasted in the bottlenecks. The wear and tear on the autos. Not to mention the millions of hours wasted, when it's all added up.
oskidunker
You are saying everyone stood for the game?
Go Bears!
concordtom
OMG, Big C, you ain't kidding!

Yes, I used to cruise up to 680 on the right and cut slackers off at the last minute. There's always a few out there at most bottlenecks.

Of course, now traffic is slow at St. Stephens approaching Lafayette and is slow all the way thru.

And now I'm thinking about how when I was a kid, 680 from WC to Pleasanton was 2 lanes with a wide grass area in between. I remember mommy driving me in the white Plymouth station wagon. Now look at it.

The only solution is to slow down the birth rate and have no immigration. That ain't gonna happen. Man is overrunning the globe.

Just wait til robot controlled cars handle everything. Commutes will skyrocket further!

Pick a career and life in a smaller city center, that's not a bad solution. Megapolises suck.
BeachedBear
concordtom said:

OMG, Big C, you ain't kidding!

Yes, I used to cruise up to 680 on the right and cut slackers off at the last minute. There's always a few out there at most bottlenecks.

Of course, now traffic is slow at St. Stephens approaching Lafayette and is slow all the way thru.

And now I'm thinking about how when I was a kid, 680 from WC to Pleasanton was 2 lanes with a wide grass area in between. I remember mommy driving me in the white Plymouth station wagon. Now look at it.

The only solution is to slow down the birth rate and have no immigration. That ain't gonna happen. Man is overrunning the globe.

Just wait til robot controlled cars handle everything. Commutes will skyrocket further!

Pick a career and life in a smaller city center, that's not a bad solution. Megapolises suck.
At the risk of encouraging CT to stray off topic, evidence is coming in that traffic congestion is primarily due to factors OTHER than the number of cars on the freeway. From my colleagues in the Auto insurance biz (who track this stuff ALOT), larger factors in order are: Texting (distracted driving), Poor quality drivers ed, Commercial vehicles, changing work/commute patterns.

Actually, most people in the know feel that automated driving will actually HELP congestion.

Bringing this back to basketball, I just hope that scheduling of home games does not create further traffic woes in my attendance routine.

:gobears
concordtom
Wrong, because more people will be encouraged to drive during rush hour, as the car does the work and the driver watches a movie, or sleeps. Automated driving = more cars on road.

Automated driving would also take your vehicle from Berkeley to St. Mary's via the downtown Lafayette exit, rather than getting off at Orinda, traveling down Moraga Way to Glorietta, then a right on Rheem Blvd, up and over the hill at Zander, and then down into Rheem village before heading past the cattle to St. Mary's itself.

In other words, you'd be missing out on a wonderfully relaxing drive. In your 911 Targa if lucky.

On topic!

PS: I can give you a few other "long cuts" if you like, and folks from Oakland should head up shepherd Canyon to skyline and down the back way into canyon, while folks further south by Castro valley should take pinehurst into moraga by sanders (not relation to blowhard sarah) ranch.

Is there a better pocket of the east bay? I think not!
BeachedBear
concordtom said:

Wrong, because more people will be encouraged to drive during rush hour, as the car does the work and the driver watches a movie, or sleeps. Automated driving = more cars on road.

Automated driving would also take your vehicle from Berkeley to St. Mary's via the downtown Lafayette exit, rather than getting off at Orinda, traveling down Moraga Way to Glorietta, then a right on Rheem Blvd, up and over the hill at Zander, and then down into Rheem village before heading past the cattle to St. Mary's itself.

In other words, you'd be missing out on a wonderfully relaxing drive. In your 911 Targa if lucky.

On topic!

PS: I can give you a few other "long cuts" if you like, and folks from Oakland should head up shepherd Canyon to skyline and down the back way into canyon, while folks further south by Castro valley should take pinehurst into moraga by sanders (not relation to blowhard sarah) ranch.

Is there a better pocket of the east bay? I think not!
Well CT, you seem to have your mind made up about automated driving AND traffic patterns! Instead of staying off topic, how about a friendly wager. . . let's meet up for a beer in ten years and decide who was right. Loser buys first round.

BTW - the Shepherd Canyon trick used to work great until too many people got wind of it.
concordtom
BeachedBear said:

BTW - the Shepherd Canyon trick used to work great until too many people got wind of it.
Why, where do things get backed up???
concordtom
BeachedBear said:

Well CT, you seem to have your mind made up about automated driving AND traffic patterns! Instead of staying off topic, how about a friendly wager. . . let's meet up for a beer in ten years and decide who was right. Loser buys first round.

So, what is the bet?
You think automated cars will decrease traffic?
Sure, I'll take that bet.
Please provide your theory as to why. I'd love for you to be right, but think you'll instead be having to arrange for one of these:

Granted, mass adoption is going to take considerably longer than 10 years.
BeachedBear
concordtom said:

BeachedBear said:

Why, where do things get backed up???
It varies. Usually due to people getting lost or confused. Most often either on the Oakland side heading up the hill or just over the top where folks panic on the windy 10 mph turns before you get to Canyon.
BeachedBear
concordtom said:

BeachedBear said:

So, what is the bet?
You think automated cars will decrease traffic?
Sure, I'll take that bet.
Please provide your theory as to why. I'd love for you to be right, but think you'll instead be having to arrange for one of these:

Granted, mass adoption is going to take considerably longer than 10 years.
Well, we're heading too far OT, so this will be my last comment (on this topic). Otherwise PM me to spare the others.

First, I made two separate counters to YOUR points. One about traffic congestion and the other about automated cars. Overall, I'm sharing what industry experts have shared with me. I tend to believe them, since it makes sense and they have some data to back it up. Most of what they say contradicts what you said.

Your Point One: More cars means more traffic. While somewhat true. The NUMBER of cars is not the most significant cause of congestion. I listed a number of items that the experts agree are BIGGER problems than simply the number of cars. Their data is primarily from two major sources - Automotive insurance organizations (they not only track accidents, but traffic and patterns - since they are related) - and Regional government agencies that actually are dealing with traffic and congestion. The basic point is that traffic is caused by bad driving (non-coordinated humans) and the need for other drivers to make adjustments. Best example is someone driving 40 mph in the middle lane of a six lane freeway. This will slow down hundreds of other cars behind them.

Your Point Two: Automated driving is bad. It will create traffic and encourage people to drive during commute hours. My sources are people working for companies that are developing automated driving (Google, startups, etc). Their data reflects two key differences. Difference A - that automated algorithms generate significantly fewer phantom intersections than humans. A phantom intersection results from less than perfect coordination - which leads to traffic. Difference B - almost all businesses that involve road-based delivery are eager to replace truck and van drivers with automated drivers, so that they can both change their schedules and slow the vehicles - which will REMOVE vehicles from commute hours. BTW - this will be a big disruptor and truck drivers are loath to accept this. However, the businesses recognize that two of the largest costs for them are paying truckers and fuel. They also recognize that truck drivers are motivated to earn more by compromising traffic and often fuel consumption rates.

Here is a nice summary for you . . .

As for the bet, I agree that mass adoption will at least 10 years (not sure about considerably longer). Let's just say that I'm confident that if we meet up for a beer in 10 years, you will agree that automated cars (if prevalent), have not created more traffic. If you want to say otherwise, I will buy you a beer regardless.
SonomanA1
Here is the info I got on tickets:

Men's Basketball single game tickets will become available in the fall, most likely late-September or early-October. Our season ticket holders receive a first go at single game tickets. If you are interested in receiving information about season ticket packages, please give us a call (925-631-GoTx).

Thanks, Saint Mary's Ticket Office

I do not drive in that area too much, but I do know about the Richmond San Rafael Bridge. The bridge had 3 lanes each way when I went to Cal. One lane was closed in the late 70's so a pipe could bring water from the East Bay to Marin due to a drought. When the drought ended, Cal Trans decided they wanted to use the third lane for maintenance.

After years of traffic jams because of the reduction of lanes, the third eastbound lane was reopened this year with limited hours at a cost of over $50 million. It does make it a lot easier going to the weekday Cal games from the North Bay.

The westbound third lane is supposed to become a bicycle lane. Only the most dedicated bicyclist will want to go on the up and down bridge and deal with the wind. Westbound drivers will be able to watch the few bicyclist ride for free, while the toll for cars will increase by $3 during the next few years.

I am less than impressed with how California deals with traffic problems.
SonomanA1
I see that TicketCity.com has a few tickets for our game at St Mary's now. You can also get a discount by subscribing to TicketCity:

Happy Hour is back on a Tuesday! As TicketCity email subscribers, not only can you save 10% on College Football between 3-4pm Central time today, but you can save 10% off any ticket purchase (maximum $100 savings). If you miss the Happy Hour today, we'll be back this Friday for last-minute shopping.

I assume demand will be high for the tickets, so it's probably a sellers' market.
SonomanA1
smctickets Office <smctickets@stmarys-ca.edu> Sep 19 at 11:43 AM

Due to demand, Cal tickets are only available through season tickets or mini plans. Our mini plan including Cal will be available the first week of October. We apologize for any inconvenience.

It is not going to be easy to get tickets. St Mary's site states the game is at 7 pm.
oskidunker
If I thought we had any chance of winning, I might care.
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.