Freshman Miles Owens as a walk-on BIG man?

calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6'6" 320 Miles Owens played basketball at O'Dowd.


He has petty good footwork and can hit free throws. With the loss of the transfer Stockman, Miles could give us another big body inside if needed.
joe amos yaks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6'7", 320#; 4.75 40-yd speed?
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What the hell happened to Stockman?

Former Gophers center Matz Stockman to return to the team
By Marcus Fuller

AUGUST 7, 2018 4:22PM

Former Gophers center Matz Stockman is returning to the team after he initially pursued transferring to another school for his final season, sources told the Star Tribune on Tuesday.
Stockman, a 7-foot, 240-pound senior, is eligible to play this year after sitting out the 2017-18 season after transferring from Louisville.

The Gophers announced in June that Stockman was granted a release from his scholarship to play elsewhere as a graduate transfer. The Norway native committed to California in late June, but he decided to remain in Minnesota after the process to enroll at another school became too difficult.
Stockman's initial departure left Minnesota coach Richard Pitino with an open scholarship for the 2018-19 season. He recruited North Dakota grad transfer Geno Crandall, but the Minneapolis native ended up picking Gonzaga over the Gophers.
Last week, Kansas transfer Sam Cunliffe mentioned Minnesota among the schools he was considering, but Pitino no longer has a scholarship available with Stockman expected back.
The center position gets deeper with Stockman's return. He will compete with redshirt sophomore Eric Curry and freshman Daniel Oturu for playing time this season. Curry (knee) and Oturu (shoulder) were recovering from injuries this summer and won't be cleared for full contact in practice until the fall.
orindabear74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He was not admitted to grad school.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow.

Before all that, I was going to say, it's a shame we can't combine and average this kid (320, 6'6") with

Connor Vanover
Forward/Center
7'3" 215 lbs Fr.


If so, we'd have 2 guys at
6' 10.5"
267.6 pounds

concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nosetackle?
Center?
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has any school recruited him?
Up with the Blue and Gold. Down with the Red!
bearmanpg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You have to be kidding....I saw Bishop O'Dowd several times last year and don't even remember this guy playing at all....Obviously he impressed me....not even practice fodder....
BeachedBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is this kid even enrolled at Cal?
joe amos yaks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FB.
Go Bears!
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
it wouldn't help.
Up with the Blue and Gold. Down with the Red!
BearOnABike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was thinking more of Ian Bunting, our transfer TE. At 6'7'' 255, he is taller and certainly more mobile.

calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearOnABike said:

I was thinking more of Ian Bunting, our transfer TE. At 6'7'' 255, he is taller and certainly more mobile.




I was wondering about him, he makes more sense. We need bodies for the frontline for practice and backup with the foul happy refs of the Pac12.
What I don't want is Wyking wasting a scholarship on a late addition project that we later have to let go from the team.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One would like to think he has learned his lesson about reaching on scholarships.

That said, regarding the BOD guy, a marginal basketball player in HS is going to be a sub-marginal player in college. The fact that he's big counts for something, but probably not much. Should've gotten a preferred walk-on with a bit of size. There must've been some 6-7, 220 guy that was a good player in HS, but not really good enough for college, that would like the opportunity to get accepted into Cal and be on the roster for a few years.
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Probably too late to ad anyone but I would look at football players who were decent basketball players.
Up with the Blue and Gold. Down with the Red!
calbear80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The solution is simple my friends:

A NEW COACH!

Go Bears!
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well there is that.
Up with the Blue and Gold. Down with the Red!
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

One would like to think he has learned his lesson about reaching on scholarships.

That said, regarding the BOD guy, a marginal player in HS is going to be a sub-marginal player in college. The fact that he's big counts for something, but probably not much. Should've gotten a preferred walk-on with a bit of size. There must've been some 6-7, 220 guy that was a good player in HS, but not really good enough for college, that would like the opportunity to get accepted into Cal and be on the roster for a few years.


Well, the players mentioned are on football scholarships and would walk on in basketball like Tony Gonzalez did.

Blake Welle, younger brother of Cole is walking on and is listed at 6'8" with no weight given, though last year was listed as 6'5" 185 lbs as a senior prospect.

Most of the potential preferred walk-ons like you mention either get Ivy offers, or scholarships at places like UC Davis...school starts this month, most people have plans.

At least the football players are admitted, enrolled and already on scholarship.

I know people think my suggestion is ridiculous, but right now our front line is 7'3" 215 freshman Vanover, 6'8" 217 Anticevich and 6'8" 220 Kelly. I think we need one more big for depth (hence the grad transfer). There are not a lot of other options. I think Ian Bunting is the best bet. He is a grad transfer and will be done with football when the season ends.
mikecohen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

Big C said:

One would like to think he has learned his lesson about reaching on scholarships.

That said, regarding the BOD guy, a marginal player in HS is going to be a sub-marginal player in college. The fact that he's big counts for something, but probably not much. Should've gotten a preferred walk-on with a bit of size. There must've been some 6-7, 220 guy that was a good player in HS, but not really good enough for college, that would like the opportunity to get accepted into Cal and be on the roster for a few years.


Well, the players mentioned are on football scholarships and would walk on in basketball like Tony Gonzalez did.

Blake Welle, younger brother of Cole is walking on and is listed at 6'8" with no weight given, though last year was listed as 6'5" 185 lbs as a senior prospect.

Most of the potential preferred walk-ons like you mention either get Ivy offers, or scholarships at places like UC Davis...school starts this month, most people have plans.

At least the football players are admitted, enrolled and already on scholarship.

I know people think my suggestion is ridiculous, but right now our front line is 7'3" 215 freshman Vanover, 6'8" 217 Anticevich and 6'8" 220 Kelly. I think we need one more big for depth (hence the grad transfer). There are not a lot of other options. I think Ian Bunting is the best bet. He is a grad transfer and will be done with football when the season ends.
What about Sueing & Anticevich for different looks from time to time [unless they have absolutely no rebounding, defending or boxing-out skills]
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't think the idea is ridiculous at all, but it looks as though Miles Owens is just not good enough a basketball player.. Bunting looks better. Two problems, though:
1. He wouldn't be available until a while into the season ((hopefully we'll go to a bowl game!).
2. What's in it for him to do this?
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

6'6" 320 Miles Owens played basketball at O'Dowd.


He has petty good footwork and can hit free throws. With the loss of the transfer Stockman, Miles could give us another big body inside if needed.
If needed? Vanover can give you maybe 20 minutes a game until he grows into his body, and then there is .. Kelly has a good body and will be a good forward at some point, but is a true frosh and you know how they play defense (or don't). The Aussie guy played a few minutes last year without any impact, but maybe he has improved. He also only is 6'7" and doesn't have hops. So there really is no inside presence for a good portion of the game. Stockman was the starting center and could move over the power forward with Vanover in the game. That is a loss of 35 minutes. Basically Cal is going real small the majority of the game. May work on offense but for defense and the boards, this will be ugly. Now expecting less than 10 wins, as opposed to trending towards mediocre. Seems like another wasted year.
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

6'6" 320 Miles Owens played basketball at O'Dowd.


He has petty good footwork and can hit free throws. With the loss of the transfer Stockman, Miles could give us another big body inside if needed.
If needed? Vanover can give you maybe 20 minutes a game until he grows into his body, and then there is .. Kelly has a good body and will be a good forward at some point, but is a true frosh and you know how they play defense (or don't). The Aussie guy played a few minutes last year without any impact, but maybe he has improved. He also only is 6'7" and doesn't have hops. So there really is no inside presence for a good portion of the game. Stockman was the starting center and could move over the power forward with Vanover in the game. That is a loss of 35 minutes. Basically Cal is going real small the majority of the game. May work on offense but for defense and the boards, this will be ugly. Now expecting less than 10 wins, as opposed to trending towards mediocre. Seems like another wasted year.

We better get our wins in OOC
Can't see too many pac12 wins
Too bad, because with stockman I thought we could at least compete
Now I just can't see how we are going to defend
BeachedBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Personally, I wasn't expecting much from Stockman. So his loss is not as devastating as it seems to some. Regardless, at least he could have put in some minutes. Without a doubt, this team has mighty front court deficits and will need to adjust.

We'll have to play small and it will be interesting to see what this staff does with that. Not a fan of a lot of what he does, but Oregon's Dana Altman does a fine job with X's and O's with a small lineup when he needs to. The key seems to be scheming for defensive rebounding while sacrificing some transition opportunities. Most High School teams can do one or the other (def boards vs transition offense) functionally well. However, Altman does a masterful job of moving that balance DURING A GAME (primarily with substitutions). Monty had it figured out and was generally able to scout the lineups, prep his team and frustrate Altman (I think he was something like 10-1 against Altman). Most other teams were not able to adapt quickly enough on the court against Oregon.

Granted, Oregon generally had superior depth and talent, even when playing small. They also seemed to shoot well - at least when the opportunity was there.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

6'6" 320 Miles Owens played basketball at O'Dowd.


He has petty good footwork and can hit free throws. With the loss of the transfer Stockman, Miles could give us another big body inside if needed.
If needed? Vanover can give you maybe 20 minutes a game until he grows into his body, and then there is .. Kelly has a good body and will be a good forward at some point, but is a true frosh and you know how they play defense (or don't). The Aussie guy played a few minutes last year without any impact, but maybe he has improved. He also only is 6'7" and doesn't have hops. So there really is no inside presence for a good portion of the game. Stockman was the starting center and could move over the power forward with Vanover in the game. That is a loss of 35 minutes. Basically Cal is going real small the majority of the game. May work on offense but for defense and the boards, this will be ugly. Now expecting less than 10 wins, as opposed to trending towards mediocre. Seems like another wasted year.
According to EricBear's reports, Anticevich is now 6-8, 235 and has a surprisingly good vertical.

This is not to say everything's fine in our front court, because it is not, obviously. Our 2s and 3s will have to be out of position, defending bigger guys some of the time. It's going to be tough.

I still think our conference and overall records should be significantly improved from last year. Right now, I'm predicting 13-18, 5-13 (maybe 6-12). Yes, I realize that still sucks, but it sucks less than last season. If we suck less every season, pretty soon we're not sucking.
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

6'6" 320 Miles Owens played basketball at O'Dowd.


He has petty good footwork and can hit free throws. With the loss of the transfer Stockman, Miles could give us another big body inside if needed.
If needed? Vanover can give you maybe 20 minutes a game until he grows into his body, and then there is .. Kelly has a good body and will be a good forward at some point, but is a true frosh and you know how they play defense (or don't). The Aussie guy played a few minutes last year without any impact, but maybe he has improved. He also only is 6'7" and doesn't have hops. So there really is no inside presence for a good portion of the game. Stockman was the starting center and could move over the power forward with Vanover in the game. That is a loss of 35 minutes. Basically Cal is going real small the majority of the game. May work on offense but for defense and the boards, this will be ugly. Now expecting less than 10 wins, as opposed to trending towards mediocre. Seems like another wasted year.
According to EricBear's reports, Anticevich is now 6-8, 235 and has a surprisingly good vertical.


Any vertical would be surprising
mikecohen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

6'6" 320 Miles Owens played basketball at O'Dowd.


He has petty good footwork and can hit free throws. With the loss of the transfer Stockman, Miles could give us another big body inside if needed.
If needed? Vanover can give you maybe 20 minutes a game until he grows into his body, and then there is .. Kelly has a good body and will be a good forward at some point, but is a true frosh and you know how they play defense (or don't). The Aussie guy played a few minutes last year without any impact, but maybe he has improved. He also only is 6'7" and doesn't have hops. So there really is no inside presence for a good portion of the game. Stockman was the starting center and could move over the power forward with Vanover in the game. That is a loss of 35 minutes. Basically Cal is going real small the majority of the game. May work on offense but for defense and the boards, this will be ugly. Now expecting less than 10 wins, as opposed to trending towards mediocre. Seems like another wasted year.
According to EricBear's reports, Anticevich is now 6-8, 235 and has a surprisingly good vertical.


Any vertical would be surprising
I seem to recall the number was ca. 33.5 inches
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mikecohen said:

wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

6'6" 320 Miles Owens played basketball at O'Dowd.


He has petty good footwork and can hit free throws. With the loss of the transfer Stockman, Miles could give us another big body inside if needed.
If needed? Vanover can give you maybe 20 minutes a game until he grows into his body, and then there is .. Kelly has a good body and will be a good forward at some point, but is a true frosh and you know how they play defense (or don't). The Aussie guy played a few minutes last year without any impact, but maybe he has improved. He also only is 6'7" and doesn't have hops. So there really is no inside presence for a good portion of the game. Stockman was the starting center and could move over the power forward with Vanover in the game. That is a loss of 35 minutes. Basically Cal is going real small the majority of the game. May work on offense but for defense and the boards, this will be ugly. Now expecting less than 10 wins, as opposed to trending towards mediocre. Seems like another wasted year.
According to EricBear's reports, Anticevich is now 6-8, 235 and has a surprisingly good vertical.


Any vertical would be surprising
I seem to recall the number was ca. 33.5 inches
Must explain why at power forward he averaged a little over 1 rebound per game.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

mikecohen said:

wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

6'6" 320 Miles Owens played basketball at O'Dowd.


He has petty good footwork and can hit free throws. With the loss of the transfer Stockman, Miles could give us another big body inside if needed.
If needed? Vanover can give you maybe 20 minutes a game until he grows into his body, and then there is .. Kelly has a good body and will be a good forward at some point, but is a true frosh and you know how they play defense (or don't). The Aussie guy played a few minutes last year without any impact, but maybe he has improved. He also only is 6'7" and doesn't have hops. So there really is no inside presence for a good portion of the game. Stockman was the starting center and could move over the power forward with Vanover in the game. That is a loss of 35 minutes. Basically Cal is going real small the majority of the game. May work on offense but for defense and the boards, this will be ugly. Now expecting less than 10 wins, as opposed to trending towards mediocre. Seems like another wasted year.
According to EricBear's reports, Anticevich is now 6-8, 235 and has a surprisingly good vertical.


Any vertical would be surprising
I seem to recall the number was ca. 33.5 inches
Must explain why at power forward he averaged a little over 1 rebound per game.
1. Didn't play many minutes.
2. Lacked strength.
3. Lacked experience.
4. Lacked confidence.

EricBear has a number of informative posts on the Haas Pavilion board about off-season player development.

Okay, so Anticevich had a disappointing first year, notable for seemingly working his way into Coach's doghouse as the season wore on. To me, that spelled "Dude gonna transfer to St. Mary's". Instead, apparently, he has really gotten after it, especially in the weight room, and we will be seeing a stronger, more confident Aussie this next season.

And yes, his vertical is pretty decent, as measured, though rebounding is often more about strength and tenacity.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll take the "under" on the above.
superbear99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If we had some shooters
And if our offensive scheme were to improve dramatically
Our lack of height wouldn't matter so much.

I can dream, can't I?
Oski87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Miles was slim in these video's - he has gained a ton of weight to play lineman at Cal and would not be a good option.

The TE option is also a reach - he will be trying to train for the Combine and will not be interested in working out for Basketball. If you wanted a basketball player from the football team - try a younger TE.
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oski87 said:

Miles was slim in these video's - he has gained a ton of weight to play lineman at Cal and would not be a good option.

The TE option is also a reach - he will be trying to train for the Combine and will not be interested in working out for Basketball. If you wanted a basketball player from the football team - try a younger TE.


The obvious choice for a player would be McCallan Castles, who was named to the Northern Nevada All Star Team and 3A MVP. "Totaled 1198 points, 711 rebounds, 267 assists 187 steals and 262 blocks in two seasons for South Lake Tahoe High". Problem is he is only listed at 6'5", 235. But he was also a high jumper and had a 48" box jump and 36.5" vertical. Seems like he could be a good addition and provide more depth at forward, which we may need with all the fouls we may comit due to lack of size/experience/bodies up front.

He is an inch taller and 35 lbs heavier than in these videos:


helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rebounding is 75 % desire, 15% technique, and 10% body size. You can teach technique and body size to a certain degree but desire is hard to instill if the ingredients are missing. Russell and Barkley were ferocious rebounders and size was not as important as their desire to rebound.
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

Oski87 said:

Miles was slim in these video's - he has gained a ton of weight to play lineman at Cal and would not be a good option.

The TE option is also a reach - he will be trying to train for the Combine and will not be interested in working out for Basketball. If you wanted a basketball player from the football team - try a younger TE.


The obvious choice for a player would be McCallan Castles, who was named to the Northern Nevada All Star Team and 3A MVP. "Totaled 1198 points, 711 rebounds, 267 assists 187 steals and 262 blocks in two seasons for South Lake Tahoe High". Problem is he is only listed at 6'5", 235. But he was also a high jumper and had a 48" box jump and 36.5" vertical. Seems like he could be a good addition and provide more depth at forward, which we may need with all the fouls we may comit due to lack of size/experience/bodies up front.

He is an inch taller and 35 lbs heavier than in these videos:




Sign him up. I think our first grad transfer Tarwater was listed at 6-6.
Page 1 of 1
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.