Brandon Chauca update

9,943 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
tenplay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Playing pro ball in the Philippines. Should do well.

https://www.facebook.com/fybaonline/posts/1663877840376377
BeachedBear
I think that is college, not pro.
BearGoggles
tenplay said:

What evidence is there to support this claim?
caltagjohnson
Wow! He is up to 5-10 now. Another inch or 2 and he will be playing power forward. Talk about puffery.
petalumabear
This guy cheated In school, sold his shoes and lied about his coach to the public. He doesn't belong on these pages in any sort of flattering light.
Econ141
petalumabear said:

This guy cheated In school, sold his shoes and lied about his coach to the public. He doesn't belong on these pages in any sort of flattering light.

Agreed - This is the last guy I want to hear about. Apparently he was also arrested for something extremely shady. Here's hoping he does as well overseas as he did at Cal lol.
bearister
tenplay said:

....provided he doesn't trash talk Rodrigo Duterte in his blog.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
smh
tough crowd.. russians?
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
TheSouseFamily
BeachedBear said:

Not only is this college ball, it's apparently a lower level college team. He's not on one of the teams that is a pipeline to the Filipino pro leagues. I saw it mentioned a while back this his school is "a small school for rich kids."
petalumabear
TheSouseFamily said:

BeachedBear said:

Not only is this college ball, it's apparently a lower level college team. He's not on one of the teams that is a pipeline to the Filipino pro leagues. I saw it mentioned a while back this his school is "a small school for rich kids."
Well, I suppose WJ didn't take away his college career after all....... or at least he found an appropriate level for his "skills".
SFCityBear
petalumabear said:

I agree with you as well. I hope he can mature, become a good citizen, and contribute something positive to society. I don't really need to to hear about this kid until he becomes what I said I hoped he would become.
bearmanpg
We are supposed to be the adults....let it go...
oskidunker
Agree. Beating up Chauca wont solve the problems with the basketball program.
Go Bears!
concordtom
How does Brandon Chauca's off-court conduct compare with Jason Kidd's?

Anyone out there rooting for Jason to be hired as HC but Brandon to be banished and written off as smut?
dal9
did you say written off as a s!ut?
philbert
concordtom said:

I dunno. What stupid crap did Kidd do while he was still at Cal and on the Cal hoops team?
SFCityBear
philbert said:

concordtom said:

I dunno. What stupid crap did Kidd do while he was still at Cal and on the Cal hoops team?
I think I remember he knocked up a girl, and I believe she won a paternity suit for child support. There was at least one DUI and also a hit-and-run car accident. I think most of the physical abuse of his wives and other women came later, after Cal, along with more DUIs, etc. He has stayed out of the gossip news for some time now, so maybe he has grown up.

If you are a famous player with lots of fans, your anti-social behavior is more easily overlooked. Brandon Chauca was not a good player, and he won't be getting the same treatment as Kidd by press and fans.
PtownBear1
SFCityBear said:

philbert said:

concordtom said:

I think I remember he knocked up a girl, and I believe she won a paternity suit for child support. There was at least one DUI and also a hit-and-run car accident. I think most of the physical abuse of his wives and other women came later, after Cal, along with more DUIs, etc. He has stayed out of the gossip news for some time now, so maybe he has grown up.

If you are a famous player with lots of fans, your anti-social behavior is more easily overlooked. Brandon Chauca was not a good player, and he won't be getting the same treatment as Kidd by press and fans.
It's actually the opposite. If you're a famous player, everything you do is public. The only reason anyone is talking about Chauca's issues is because he decided to put himself in the limelight by publishing an "expose" blasting Cal's coaching staff. Otherwise, he would have just continued his life with fans thinking he was a good kid and wishing him luck.
philbert
SFCityBear said:

philbert said:

concordtom said:

He did this while he was at Cal? I don't remember any of that. He did plenty of dumb stuff after he turned pro that is well-documented.
SFCityBear
PtownBear1 said:

SFCityBear said:

philbert said:

concordtom said:

It's actually the opposite. If you're a famous player, everything you do is public. The only reason anyone is talking about Chauca's issues is because he decided to put himself in the limelight by publishing an "expose" blasting Cal's coaching staff. Otherwise, he would have just continued his life with fans thinking he was a good kid and wishing him luck.
You are absolutely right about the reason why we are talking about Chauca. It is because he went public accusing Cal and his coach of dirt, Omondi Omoke also had committed a serious offense, and was dismissed from the team and the school, I believe, but he never went public with any objections, and transferred to another school, resumed his basketball career. I for one respected him for being mature enough to accept his punishment, and most fans dropped the matter, and some wished him well, as I remember.

I also agree that everything a famous player does is public. What I was trying to say is that even though that is true, fans will forgive him most of his transgressions, no matter how much publicity he gets, because he is such a favorite with his fans, and idolized by many of them. He is perhaps the greatest point guard of all-time. Many of Kidd's escapades were immoral, illegal, and unacceptable to most, but the publicity never forced him to be punished or lose much popularity, if any. His fans swept it all under the rug, including Cal, which proudly displays his Cal jersey from the rafters in Haas.
SFCityBear
philbert said:

SFCityBear said:

philbert said:

concordtom said:

He did this while he was at Cal? I don't remember any of that. He did plenty of dumb stuff after he turned pro that is well-documented.
Yep.
petalumabear
PtownBear1 said:

SFCityBear said:

philbert said:

concordtom said:

Exactly right. Very well said and makes the point I didn't in my post. I also don't think comparing Jason Kidd and Brandon Chauca holds an ounce of anything. Chauca tried to get his coach fired by lying about things that happened AFTER Chauca was caught cheating not once but TWICE. He also had a run in with the law that was dismissed (I know that on good legal authority) in which he was accused of assault and/or rape. So let's not pretend we're comparing choir boys in college. Kidd's issues were post his time at Cal and Chauca ALL while still enrolled because the coach allowed him to stay. What great payback.
Chapman_is_Gone
SFCityBear said:

PtownBear1 said:

SFCityBear said:

philbert said:

concordtom said:

You are absolutely right about the reason why we are talking about Chauca. It is because he went public accusing Cal and his coach of dirt, Omondi Omoke also had committed a serious offense, and was dismissed from the team and the school, I believe, but he never went public with any objections, and transferred to another school, resumed his basketball career. I for one respected him for being mature enough to accept his punishment, and most fans dropped the matter, and some wished him well, as I remember.

I also agree that everything a famous player does is public. What I was trying to say is that even though that is true, fans will forgive him most of his transgressions, no matter how much publicity he gets, because he is such a favorite with his fans, and idolized by many of them. He is perhaps the greatest point guard of all-time. Many of Kidd's escapades were immoral, illegal, and unacceptable to most, but the publicity never forced him to be punished or lose much popularity, if any. His fans swept it all under the rug, including Cal, which proudly displays his Cal jersey from the rafters in Haas.

There are no jerseys in the rafters at Haas. Just one of quite a few inexcusable things about the MBB program.
oskidunker
a good thing to bring up to the new AD
Go Bears!
SFCityBear
petalumabear said:

PtownBear1 said:

SFCityBear said:

philbert said:

concordtom said:

Exactly right. Very well said and makes the point I didn't in my post. I also don't think comparing Jason Kidd and Brandon Chauca holds an ounce of anything. Chauca tried to get his coach fired by lying about things that happened AFTER Chauca was caught cheating not once but TWICE. He also had a run in with the law that was dismissed (I know that on good legal authority) in which he was accused of assault and/or rape. So let's not pretend we're comparing choir boys in college. Kidd's issues were post his time at Cal and Chauca ALL while still enrolled because the coach allowed him to stay. What great payback.
I don't know enough about Chauca's situation, but I sounds pretty bad. I do disagree with you that "Kidd's issues were post his time at Cal." That is simply not the case:

Jason Kidd's first publicized off-court problems occurred while he was at Cal. Jason Kidd played at Cal from 1992-93 and 1993-94. In mid-May of 1993, while pregnant, Alexandria Brown filed a paternity suit against Jason, and the child was born on November 16, 1993, at the beginning of Kidd's sophomore season. The date indicates the pregnancy probably began in about February during Kidd's freshman season at Cal. Kidd eventually admitted he was the father, and agreed to pay child support.

Kidd declared for the NBA draft on March 24, 1994. That was also his 21st birthday. In June, Taneka Tate sued Kidd for slapping her at his 21st Birthday party. The DA later dropped the charges for lack of enough evidence.

On May 22, 1994, Kidd was involved in a hit-and-run accident in which he fled the scene. He initially pleaded innocent, but eventually was ordered to pay a fine, do many hours of community service, and was placed on two-year's probation.

On June 29, 1994, Dallas selected Jason Kidd in the NBA Draft.

All available through Google.

BeachedBear
SFCityBear said:

petalumabear said:

PtownBear1 said:

SFCityBear said:

philbert said:

concordtom said:

I don't know enough about Chauca's situation, but I sounds pretty bad. I do disagree with you that "Kidd's issues were post his time at Cal." That is simply not the case:

Jason Kidd's first publicized off-court problems occurred while he was at Cal. Jason Kidd played at Cal from 1992-93 and 1993-94. In mid-May of 1993, while pregnant, Alexandria Brown filed a paternity suit against Jason, and the child was born on November 16, 1993, at the beginning of Kidd's sophomore season. The date indicates the pregnancy probably began in about February during Kidd's freshman season at Cal. Kidd eventually admitted he was the father, and agreed to pay child support.

Kidd declared for the NBA draft on March 24, 1994. That was also his 21st birthday. In June, Taneka Tate sued Kidd for slapping her at his 21st Birthday party. The DA later dropped the charges for lack of enough evidence.

On May 22, 1994, Kidd was involved in a hit-and-run accident in which he fled the scene. He initially pleaded innocent, but eventually was ordered to pay a fine, do many hours of community service, and was placed on two-year's probation.

What may NOT be available through Google (easily) because it is mostly hearsay (but reliable to me, since I trust the people who said it) is that Kidd stopped attending classes during the Spring semester well before the season ended. Now we could argue how to define "his time at Cal", but he was already out the door when those events happened. By no means is that an excuse! I'm just trying to flesh out the time line a bit.
SFCityBear
BeachedBear said:

SFCityBear said:

petalumabear said:

PtownBear1 said:

SFCityBear said:

philbert said:

concordtom said:

What may NOT be available through Google (easily) because it is mostly hearsay (but reliable to me, since I trust the people who said it) is that Kidd stopped attending classes during the Spring semester well before the season ended. Now we could argue how to define "his time at Cal", but he was already out the door when those events happened. By no means is that an excuse! I'm just trying to flesh out the time line a bit.
Thanks for mentioning this. i think I heard that at the time as well, but it probably wouldn't have been from a reliable source. It is certainly believable. He knew early that he would be declaring for the draft, but he still gave it his all to try and help the Bears to the Final Four. It wasn't his fault the Bears were derailed by Wisconsin-Green Bay, IMO.
Big C
SFCityBear said:

BeachedBear said:

SFCityBear said:

petalumabear said:

PtownBear1 said:

SFCityBear said:

philbert said:

concordtom said:

Thanks for mentioning this. i think I heard that at the time as well, but it probably wouldn't have been from a reliable source. It is certainly believable. He knew early that he would be declaring for the draft, but he still gave it his all to try and help the Bears to the Final Four. It wasn't his fault the Bears were derailed by Wisconsin-Green Bay, IMO.
Jason Kidd's dedication to playing winning basketball was never in question, no matter where he played. Being a "Cal student" was a means to an end for him, which is not to say he didn't enjoy being here, or doesn't keep us in his heart (sort of). He kept himself eligible just long enough to complete two seasons.

I count myself as a big Jason Kidd fan because of his awesome prep career, the fact that he came to Cal and provided some unforgettable moments for us and just the genius and both-ends-of-the-court intensity in his game. As far as the off-court Jason Kidd, it's like Charles Barkley said about role models.
smh
Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

BeachedBear said:

SFCityBear said:

petalumabear said:

PtownBear1 said:

As far as the off-court Jason Kidd, it's like Charles Barkley says about role models.

i'll bite, what did Charles say about role models?? tnx n advnc.
smh
smh said:

Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

BeachedBear said:

SFCityBear said:

petalumabear said:

PtownBear1 said:

As far as the off-court Jason Kidd, it's like Charles Barkley says about role models.

i'll bite, what did Charles say about role models?? tnx n advnc.

googled it and the first suggestion clicked, as i guess everybody (else) knew,,
Quote:

NBA Hall-of-Famer Charles Barkley made headlines in 1993 when recording a commercial in which he said, "I'm not a role model. Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids." ... Whether they are good or bad at being role models is another matter.
concordtom
SFCityBear said:

Kidd declared for the NBA draft on March 24, 1994. That was also his 21st birthday.
That would be the oldest sophomore I have ever heard of in my life.
Turned 18 as a HS Jr.
Turned 19 as a HS Sr.
Turned 20 as a Cal Frosh.
Turned 21 as a Cal Soph.

Maybe that was my problem.
Not only did I hit puberty growth spurt late, but I didn't turn 18 until just before leaving for college.

This is why parents redshirt their kindergarteners. So they have a built in advantage socially, physically, maturity-wise, intellectually... all thru their upbringing. My wife's even younger for her class than me, with a bday after Thanksgiving.

We redshirted two or our birthday borderline daughters for this reasons, and the elder one just scored 3 goals yesterday in her second ever water polo game! Ha!

Meanwhile, my brother's kids have been County swimmers mainly because they have hit puberty before all their peers (just like another brother - who thereafter declared that it was a ripoff to return to mere mortal status after peers caught up to and surpassed him, Ha!)

Apparently the maturity part arrived on-scene late for Jason, though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.