Jaylen Brown on selecting a college

2,649 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love how Jaylen Brown loves and represents Cal.

"Although Brown didn't know it at the time, the European getaway would play a pivotal role in helping him decide which college to attend. A 5-star recruit coming out of high school, Brown received scholarship offers from the nation's leading basketball programs, but ultimately chose to take his talents to Cal-Berkeley and play for Coach Cuonzo Martin.

'Picking a school for [its] name is so silly to me,' he says. 'I could've went to a Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, or Duke, but I took visits there and they just didn't do it for me. I wanted something more, you know? And when I went to Berkeley, I found myself.'"

https://www.complex.com/sports/2018/08/jaylen-brown-and-gunna-shine-in-champs-sports-new-the-moment-commercial
PtownBear1
Dude never ceases to impress. I don't get how he has enough hours in the day...
calumnus
People who think "Berkeley" works against us are mistaken. Brown reminds me of Shareef (also from Murieta, GA?)hopefully he comes back and gets his degree one dayproud they are fellow alums.
hotlanta
calumnus said:

People who think "Berkeley" works against us are mistaken. Brown reminds me of Shareef (also from Murieta, GA?)hopefully he comes back and gets his degree one dayproud they are fellow alums.
Both Shareef and Jaylen attended Wheeler High School in Marietta, Ga.
Econ141
Yes damnit - call it Berkeley - sports and academics!
concordtom
Brown played WITH shareef's son.

The question I want to have asked and answered is, did you speak with Shareef about Cal, did he influence your decision to attend, and how much did that factor?
concordtom
01Bear said:

I love how Jaylen Brown loves and represents Cal.

"Although Brown didn't know it at the time, the European getaway would play a pivotal role in helping him decide which college to attend. A 5-star recruit coming out of high school, Brown received scholarship offers from the nation's leading basketball programs, but ultimately chose to take his talents to Cal-Berkeley and play for Coach Cuonzo Martin.

'Picking a school for [its] name is so silly to me,' he says. 'I could've went to a Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, or Duke, but I took visits there and they just didn't do it for me. I wanted something more, you know? And when I went to Berkeley, I found myself.'"

https://www.complex.com/sports/2018/08/jaylen-brown-and-gunna-shine-in-champs-sports-new-the-moment-commercial
One of the first major decisions Brown faced came as a teenager. At 16, he had the opportunity to leave his native Marietta, Georgia to spend time in Treviso, Italy. The trip wound up representing a liminal moment in his young life, as it granted him a completely new perspective on the world, from the foreign foods he tasted to the culture he experienced.

"It just made me question whether the way I'm living, the way my family and the people around me live, is the correct way," he recalls. "Can we do it different?"
bearister
01Bear said:

....."Although Brown ultimately chose to take his talents to Cal-Berkeley and play for Coach Cuonzo Martin.....

Hey, one out of two ain't bad.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.