Rehire Ben Braun?

12,920 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCityBear
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He looks good right now. Wouldn't be the first time a fired coach has been rehired in College Basketball. I mean we heap honors on him and introduce his sweet sixteen team.

Post game interviews were not great, however.
Go Bears!
philbert
Please don
helltopay1
Oski----Braun: B+ recruiter. B- C+ Coach. Lean toward C+. control freak. Liked to call time-outs in the middle of a fast break. Pass.
oskidunker
ok
Go Bears!
Big C
How about Braun AND Tedford, so we can recapture that turn-of-the-century greatness!
Civil Bear
Only the pre-married Braun, please.
ducky23
Only the svelte pre chez panisse Braun please
MSaviolives
oskidunker
"We Compete"
Go Bears!
wifeisafurd
Rather rehire Monty with some recruiters as assistants.
helltopay1
dear Wife: Ideal scenario: Monty as coach with our current crop of terrific assistants. what an ideal situation.
oskidunker
What would Wyling do?
Go Bears!
bearister
I would hire Theo Robertson before Wyking or Braun or Cuonzo.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Econ141
I'm sorry did Montgomery get us to a sweet sixteen or an nit championship? Braun in a heart beat given current situation
tequila4kapp
Oh gawd no. I'd rather have a bearinsider member coach the team than do back to him.
BearSD
Big C said:

How about Braun AND Tedford, so we can recapture that turn-of-the-century greatness!

There are a few here who act like Braun's last three seasons at Cal and Tedford's last three seasons at Cal never happened. Selective memory must be fun.
helltopay1
Dear Fat: There are only two people in the world who think braun was a better coach than monty and there last names happen to be Braun. ( and one of the two is wavering)
SFCityBear
Big C said:

Greatness? Goodness, maybe, but not greatness.
SFCityBear
fat_slice said:

I'm sorry did Montgomery get us to a sweet sixteen or an nit championship? Braun in a heart beat given current situation
A sweet 16 and a NIT championship is your dream? Do you want us to lower our expectations?

BTW, Montgomery did get a team to a Final Four, but it took him a lot of years at the same school, learning to coach and beating the bushes for recruits. And that was a school where it was easier to get recruits admitted. Cal is different. And Montgomery did win a Conference Championship while at Cal, which Braun never did.
Civil Bear
SFCityBear said:

fat_slice said:

A sweet 16 and a NIT championship is your dream? Do you want us to lower our expectations?

BTW, Montgomery did get a team to a Final Four, but it took him a lot of years at the same school, learning to coach and beating the bushes for recruits. And that was a school where it was easier to get recruits admitted. Cal is different.
A sweet 16 and a NIT championship > current situation
A sweet 16 and a NIT championship N.E. Fat Slice dream

Try to follow along.
Big C
BearSD said:

Big C said:

There are a few here who act like Braun's last three seasons at Cal and Tedford's last three seasons at Cal never happened. Selective memory must be fun.
It was sarcasm. Some people on the football board actually wish Tedford was somehow our coach again.

Tedford had some very good years for us and Braun had some good years, but, in each case, it was time for a change.
oskidunker
Its time for a change again.
Go Bears!
Big C
oskidunker said:

Its time for a change again.

At Cal. it's time for a change MOST OF THE TIME!

Wait a second, that's genius: Speedee Oil Change Stadium!!!
Fit's so well, our financial woes will be over!
Yogi58
KoreAmBear
fat_slice said:

Only coach who brought at national championship to Cal in men's hoops or football since I stepped on the Berkeley campus -- Ben Braun.
south bender
Only coach at Cal to get beaten time after time by Monty.
Civil Bear
south bender said:

LOL, well that's not fair! He's also the only coach at Cal to go up against Monty when Monty was spitting out winning seasons.
south bender
I was just trying to inject some reality in this retrospective praise of a middling coach.

ColoradoBear
south bender said:

I was just trying to inject some reality in this retrospective praise of a middling coach.

Anyone remember this game?
https://calbears.com/news/2000/2/19/207748817.aspx?path=mbball
Civil Bear
ColoradoBear said:

south bender said:

Anyone remember this game?
https://calbears.com/news/2000/2/19/207748817.aspx?path=mbball

Unfortunately, yes. Thanks a bunch for reminding me.
south bender
I always wincingly think of that humiliation when I think of Ben.
SFCityBear
south bender said:

How did Monty do that? I read many times where he couldn't recruit.
south bender
It did take Monty some time to get on a roll at the Farm. And no question Stanford has more allure than UCB.
Big C
SFCityBear said:

south bender said:

How did Monty do that? I read many times where he couldn't recruit.
I believe he has been quoted as saying that, once he got them winning a bit, Stanford pretty much recruited itself. And thus he was surprised when that didn't work so well here. I hate to admit that they have more allure than we do, but to a small specific niche of people (good athlete/good student/impressed by the Ivies and private schools), they probably do, nationally.

the *******s

(censored word's first three letters were "b", "a" and "s"
helltopay1
Dear Big C: Think of how incredibly silly and inconsistent our society is. Every day on TV, we see 100,000 people get slaughtered by a deranged maniac slaughtering 100,000 people with a blood-soaked axe, and yet, we cannot see thge word b*****d in print because that would be a bridge too far. To repeat for the hundredth time, Money recruited well at Stanford because Stanford recruits itself. You have to recruit hard at Cal, and Monty simply was not used to recruiting, nor did he have the personality for the undertaking. Also, he was a little long in the tooth when he arrived and lacked thge necessary testoserone for thge undertaking. ( spelling?)
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.