Jacobi Gordon

5,115 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCityBear
RedlessWardrobe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Watching the stream last night I couldn't help noticing that Jacobi Gordon's body size and body language reminded me of Lamond Murray.

If he can be half the player Lamond was I'll take it!

Anybody else see the similarity?
calfanz
He's a better athlete and has a more refined physique.

Not as good of a shooter or handles...yet
BeachedBear
I was pretty happy with what I saw from Gordon last night, but he doesn't remind me of Lamond Murray - even during Lamonds first outing as a frosh. From the outset, Lamond was doing some surprising things back in the day. Not sure who he DOES remind me of - Michael Gill or maybe Roy Fisher? I'll keep thinking, but the Murray comparison is too optimistic for me (although I would love it if it turned out that way).
RedlessWardrobe
I agree - nowhere near the impact. It was just that he had the exact same physique. And his body language and mannerisms so replicated Lamond that I was kind of freaked out!
BeachedBear
RedlessWardrobe said:

I agree - nowhere near the impact. It was just that he had the exact same physique. And his body language and mannerisms so replicated Lamond that I was kind of freaked out!
Ah - unfortunately, I had to watch the P12 feed from the pacific north west and only saw what they showed me.
blungld
RedlessWardrobe said:

RRCWatching the stream last night I couldn't help noticing that Jacobi Gordon's body size and body language reminded me of Lamond Murray.

I thought the exact same thing. I was impressed with the talent of the freshman (but not the team play) and sort of tried to compare each to a past player.

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?
Connor = Eric M or Kravish?
Andre = David Paris or Kenyon Jones or Frison?

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
SFCityBear
blungld said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

RRCWatching the stream last night I couldn't help noticing that Jacobi Gordon's body size and body language reminded me of Lamond Murray.

I thought the exact same thing. I was impressed with the talent of the freshman (but not the team play) and sort of tried to compare each to a past player.

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?
If Andre is one of those three, it better be Frison. The other two wouldn't likely help us go dancing. And I'd hope he would be better than Frison.
SFCityBear
RedlessWardrobe said:

No one has the exact same physique as anyone else, unless one is a laboratory produced clone.
stu
blungld said:

Jacobi = Lamond

Jabari Bird? Roy Fisher (mentioned above)?

Quote:

Bradley = Boyd?

Tony Gonzalez? John Coughran? Brittany Boyd?

Quote:

Tom Schneiderjohn? Bigger than Kravish (but not as developed), better than Max Zhang.

Quote:

Leonard Taylor? Jamaal Boykin? Brian Hendrick? Well rounded, blue collar.
SmellinRoses
Dare I date myself with a Wes Howell reference? ...let's get this gent in Memorial.
Big C
If I'm Wilcox, I'm starting to chit chat with both Kelly and Bradley, in hopes of planting a seed.
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

blungld said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?
If Andre is one of those three, it better be Frison. The other two wouldn't likely help us go dancing. And I'd hope he would be better than Frison.

In his one year at USF after leaving Cal, Kenyon Jones averaged 16.5 ppg and 9.0 rpg and was named the WCC Player of the Year.
Civil Bear
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

blungld said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?

In his one year at USF after leaving Cal, Kenyon Jones averaged 16.5 ppg and 9.0 rpg and was named the WCC Player of the Year.

Here's hoping we don't have to wait until Andre is a fifth-year senior before he has a productive year.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

blungld said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?

Jones did have a good individual year at USF, but I wrote about whether a player would contribute enough to his team to result in their going to the NCAA. USF with Jones in 1999-2000 ran up a 12-1 record in the pre-conference season, mostly against cupcakes, and then finished 7-7 in 5th place in the WCC. Pepperdine won the conference, and Gonzaga won the conference tournament, and both were selected to the NCAA, and both did pretty well. USF lost all four games to Pepperdine and Gonzaga, and lost to 4th place Santa Clara by 15 points in the 1st round of the WCC tournament. The only team in the WCC to have a national ranking that season was Gonzaga, ranked at the bottom of the top 25 for most of the season.

At Cal, Kenyon Jones averaged 5 points and 3 rebounds over his 3-year career in a tougher league and with a tougher schedule than he faced at USF. In 1996-97, Cal did finish 3rd in the PAC10, and went to the NCAA, with Jones having a marginal role at the end of the rotation. In the NCAA, he managed to score 6 points against Villanova, but failed to score against Princeton and North Carolina. I'll stick by what I said. However, given the lack of experience in the front line this season, I'd bet that Wyking Jones would love to have a Kenyon Jones on his roster, and he would help this team, IMO. For the long run, I'd rather have a guy like MSF, who was a more valuable contributor to team success. I always felt the Cal team played better when MSF was in the lineup, and not injured, than it played without him.

bearmanpg
I believe Kelly will be better than any of the players he has been compared to....One reason is that he will get more minutes his freshman year than any of the others did....minutes always help a player get better....He will benefit greatly from the strength and conditioning program to work his body into power forward shape...I have watched him in person for 4 years in high school and he has improved every year...blue collar type player...BTW, SFCityBear, last year you didn't believe me when I said Andre was at least 245 lbs, but now the roster has him at 260...I'm 6'6" and 260, when I stand next to someone my size I can usually tell his approximate height and weight....
SFCityBear
bearmanpg said:

I believe Kelly will be better than any of the players he has been compared to....One reason is that he will get more minutes his freshman year than any of the others did....minutes always help a player get better....He will benefit greatly from the strength and conditioning program to work his body into power forward shape...I have watched him in person for 4 years in high school and he has improved every year...blue collar type player...BTW, SFCityBear, last year you didn't believe me when I said Andre was at least 245 lbs, but now the roster has him at 260...I'm 6'6" and 260, when I stand next to someone my size I can usually tell his approximate height and weight....
As I remember, all I was telling you was what I had read on the internet about his size. I have to defer to you, since you saw him in person, and saw him play a lot. I never saw him play. Based on what you have said about him, and what others have said, I'm looking forward to watching him play for Cal in person. I like blue collar players a lot. Bill McClintock, Al Grigsby. Larry Smith of the Warriors.
stu
bearmanpg said:

I'm 6'6" and 260
Before reading this I had assumed the pg in your handle meant point guard.
FuzzyWuzzy
stu said:

bearmanpg said:

I'm 6'6" and 260

It's possible. Magic, Penny Hardaway, Lonzo Ball are all 6-6+. Heck, Jelani Gardner is 6-6.

Then again, the "pg" in his handle could mean that his posts contain some adult language and themes, with parental guidance suggested.

Definitely one of the two.
Big C
bearmanpg said:

Okay then, how TALL is Kelly, really? Because lots of our supposedly 6'8" guys have actually been 6'6".
BeachedBear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

stu said:

bearmanpg said:

I'm 6'6" and 260

It's possible. Magic, Penny Hardaway, Lonzo Ball are all 6-6+. Heck, Jelani Gardner is 6-6.

Then again, the "pg" in his handle could mean that his posts contain some adult language and themes, with parental guidance suggested.

I always assumed it was an homage to South Park's BearManPig, but without the 'I', since there is no 'I' in TEAM.
UrsaMajor
BeachedBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

stu said:

bearmanpg said:

I'm 6'6" and 260

I always assumed it was an homage to South Park's BearManPig, but without the 'I', since there is no 'I' in TEAM.

Wasn't the South Park thing ManBearPig?
SFCityBear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

stu said:

bearmanpg said:

I'm 6'6" and 260

It's not the 6-6 part that raises eyebrows. It's the 260 part. I never heard of a 260 lb point guard. If there was one, he was probably playing in a league of very big dudes. I can't even visualize the center on that team. He'd dwarf Wilt Chamberlain. Actually Wilt could have played point guard in his early years in the NBA. If you see clips of Wilt in high school or at Kansas, he was a stringbean, maybe 230 lbs, and bringing the ball up the floor on a fast break.

If our poster was a point guard in his career, then he probably was lighter then, and the 260 figure was probably his reward for enjoying many good meals and snacks over the years after his bb career was done.
bearmanpg
I never had the handles to play guard....I was always a center or forward when I played and I NEVER played at 260....SFCity is right about enjoying a few meals.... when I first registered to BI, bearman had already been used, so in haste I added my first 2 initials....but I probably should have let you guys continue to guess, it was much more entertaining...and Andre is right at 6'7"......
SFCityBear
bearmanpg said:

I never had the handles to play guard....I was always a center or forward when I played and I NEVER played at 260....SFCity is right about enjoying a few meals.... when I first registered to BI, bearman had already been used, so in haste I added my first 2 initials....but I probably should have let you guys continue to guess, it was much more entertaining...and Andre is right at 6'7"......
Thanks, Bearmanpg for clearing this up. I always enjoy your posts, and am looking forward to seeing young Kelly in action for the Bears for the next four years.
rkt88edmo
SFCityBear said:

blungld said:

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?
How about if he is the USF version of Kenyon with the improved physique?
Gkhoury2325
rkt88edmo said:

SFCityBear said:

blungld said:

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?

If Jacobi is anything like Lamond Murray he will have the biggest impact. Till this day in my opinion, Cal has never had a better pure scorer. Only Rahim comes close.
Civil Bear
Gkhoury2325 said:

rkt88edmo said:

SFCityBear said:

blungld said:

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?

If Jacobi is anything like Lamond Murray he will have the biggest impact. Till this day in my opinion, Cal has never had a better pure scorer. Only Rahim comes close.

Ed Gray?
Gkhoury2325
Civil Bear said:

Gkhoury2325 said:

rkt88edmo said:

SFCityBear said:

blungld said:

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?

Ed Gray?

U might be right Civil but Lamond was on another stratosphere. Remember he made Grant Hill look bad in the tourney. I loved Ed Gray though. To bad he got hurt. Might of had a deeper run in the tourney
KoreAmBear
Gkhoury2325 said:

rkt88edmo said:

SFCityBear said:

blungld said:

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?

I don't remember Lamond creating his own shot though. Running the floor and finishing with NBA quality, shooting from outside, yes.
Gkhoury2325
KoreAmBear said:

Gkhoury2325 said:

rkt88edmo said:

SFCityBear said:

blungld said:

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?

I don't remember Lamond creating his own shot though. Running the floor and finishing with NBA quality, shooting from outside, yes.

Lamond was great around the basket. He would pull up or he might finger roll on you. He had many and one's.
Great in transition from the wing and finishing around the hoop. U could get dunked on. Great rebounder and shot blocker too and getting out on transition. Ask ASU or Oregon. YouTube it KAB.
SFCityBear
rkt88edmo said:

SFCityBear said:

blungld said:

Jacobi = Lamond
Bradley = Boyd?
Physique does not win ball games. Good playing does. And you can judge how good a player is by how well he performs against good competition.

At USF in 1999-2000, Jones averaged 58.3%, 16.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 1.4 blocks.
His USF team was 19-9, played only 3 games against ranked teams (#24 Maryland and #25 Gonzaga), played no Top 10 ranked teams, and played only 8 games against teams who ended the season with winning records.

At Cal in 1997-98, Jones averaged 47.7%, 6.0 points, 3.7 rebounds, and 0.5 blocks.
His Cal team was 12-15, played 8 games against ranked teams, played 7 games against Top 10 ranked teams (#1 North Carolina, #4 Arizona, #7 Stanford, #8 UCLA), and played 14 games against teams who ended the season with winning records.

I would expect that a player like Jones could, with sitting out a season plus two summers, be able to improve his physique and strength and playing skills somewhat, maybe more. That would be normal, but to show such a huge improvement in his statistics, well, there has to be more to it. I'd say it was because Jones had just dropped down at least one level in competition below the terrific competition Cal had to face in 1997-98. At Cal he was facing the thoroughbreds of the PAC10, and at USF, except for Gonzaga, he was likely facing the usual chopped liver of the WCC.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.