Bears in China ???? Game Thread

11,360 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
JimSox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, well the offense stunk. And the defense. Special teams weren't that great either. But McNeill 0 for 8? Gotta think that he will regain his game at some point.
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
Jeff Tedford now running Cal's Twitter account.

ducky23
Watching the difference on how Yale and cal run offense is rather stark

Ive seen CYO teams run better offense than this.
KoreAmBear
EricBear said:

Jeff Tedford now running Cal's Twitter account.

LOL we won the 2nd half v. our first half shooting!
EricBear
Staff
Michael Feinberg, whose dad was the Sam Gilbert of Sierra Canyon basketball, now in. Misses the reverse layup.
stu
Why didn't Zhao play?
EricBear
Staff
stu said:

Why didn't Zhao play?

Please see rhe James Zhao thread. Can't play when all you do is ride the exercise bike.
EricBear
Staff
UrsaMajor
16 turnovers to 6 assists. Wow.
EricBear
Staff
Terrible.
Econ141
calgldnbear said:

R.E.L.A.X.

Go Bears!!!!!

Relaxed?
BearSD
EricBear said:

I'd rather be stuck alone in a bar with Kevin O'Neill than listen to Farnham do another game.
I'd rather be a friend of Lute Olson stuck in a bar with Kevin O'Neill than listen to Farnham again.
calgldnbear
fat_slice said:

calgldnbear said:

R.E.L.A.X.

Go Bears!!!!!

Relaxed?

Sure ... I don't live and die with the success and failures of a bunch of 18-20 year old kids. I root for them and try to stay positive. Truthfully, it wasn't a good showing but all I can do is enjoy the show even if isn't the favored outcome .... perhaps it is the Cal, Raiders, Athletics, and the not too distance past Warriors fan in me ....
tthompson993
It's too bad that Paris is our only reliable offensive threat. He should have a had a few more assists. (e.g. in the first half he put the ball in Vanover's hands while finishing a drive to the hoop buy Vanover had hands of stone on that one). I know Gordon is coming off injury but he seems lacking in just about every offensive and defensive area and appears more like a 1-star than a 3-star. Justice is still having problems at the FT line as the did quite often last season. This is one of the more poorly coached college team I have ever seen. They are consistently late in their defensive rotations and it seems like they run no plays on offense. It is going to be just as frustrating as last year. I don'y know how could we have only been a 3 point underdog in this game. It should have been around a 20 point spread and it should be at least that for the majority of our games. I will go to as many games as possible but I I have no illusions that there is enough talent or coaching to win many games this year. I have been going to Cal basketball games for over 60 years and other than Dick Kuchen, Jones is the worst basketball coach I have seen in that time. He has been able to recruit some pretty good talent but they don't seem to be able to shoot except for Austin and Vanover and perhaps Bradley.

Oh well there is no way to go but up at this point.
EricBear
Staff
I'd rather be the guy that painted "Lute and Bobbi Olson Court" at McKale Center, then found myself the next year at Lute's wedding to some Scottsdale floozy, stuck at the bar at the wedding reception getting punched in the face by a drunken Kevin O'Neill, than listen to Sean Farnham again.

Onward and upward.
wifeisafurd
fat_slice said:

calgldnbear said:

R.E.L.A.X.

Go Bears!!!!!

Relaxed?
When Roman Davis plays all will be well.
concordtom
EricBear said:

Getting beat downcourt too many times not a good sign.
And Jones advertised his desire to have a smaller team which could get up and down, press/trap, and fast break.
concordtom
EricBear said:

I'd rather be stuck alone in a bar with Kevin O'Neill than listen to Farnham do another game.
Wow, that's saying a lot considering your past KO comments.
concordtom
tim94501 said:

I can't believe i shoved on this game. Fml
Good to see you are still with us, Timmy.
concordtom
calgldnbear said:

fat_slice said:

calgldnbear said:

R.E.L.A.X.

Go Bears!!!!!

Relaxed?

Sure ... I don't live and die with the success and failures of a bunch of 18-20 year old kids. I root for them and try to stay positive. Truthfully, it wasn't a good showing but all I can do is enjoy the show even if isn't the favored outcome .... perhaps it is the Cal, Raiders, Athletics, and the not too distance past Warriors fan in me ....
For the record, this wasn't the failure of a bunch of 18-20 year olds. This was the failure of a ... how old is Jones?
BadNewsBear1
Bear8995 said:

I will judge this season based on improvement. I expect them to be significantly better than now. If they aren't, I will be disappointed.

Yes, Duke and Kentucky have a lot of freshmen but it is unrealistic to compare ours with theirs. This team is 1-2 seasons away. If the team isn't solid (meaning top 1/3 of the conference) by next year, then it is time to make a change. Youth shouldn't be an excuse next year with Austin being a senior and McNeil, Sueing and Anticevich being juniors. Depth will also not be an issue as we will have 12-13 scholarship players.

With JHD being out, Davis MIA and Vanover too skinny to really contribute, this team is 7 deep tonight and will be 8 deep this season. That is an improvement over last season when we were 5 deep.
AARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH......No one is comparing Cal's freshmen with Duke or Kentucky's. Please understand that the point people are making is that just because the roster is young, doesn't mean that they have to look THIS awful and terribly coached.
concordtom
BadNewsBear1 said:

Bear8995 said:

I will judge this season based on improvement. I expect them to be significantly better than now. If they aren't, I will be disappointed.

Yes, Duke and Kentucky have a lot of freshmen but it is unrealistic to compare ours with theirs. This team is 1-2 seasons away. If the team isn't solid (meaning top 1/3 of the conference) by next year, then it is time to make a change. Youth shouldn't be an excuse next year with Austin being a senior and McNeil, Sueing and Anticevich being juniors. Depth will also not be an issue as we will have 12-13 scholarship players.

With JHD being out, Davis MIA and Vanover too skinny to really contribute, this team is 7 deep tonight and will be 8 deep this season. That is an improvement over last season when we were 5 deep.
AARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH......No one is comparing Cal's freshmen with Duke or Kentucky's. Please understand that the point people are making is that just because the roster is young, doesn't mean that they have to look THIS awful and terribly coached.
I think half the young comments are sarcastic.
concordtom
EricBear said:

I'd rather be the guy that painted "Lute and Bobbi Olson Court" at McKale Center, then found myself the next year at Lute's wedding to some Scottsdale floozy, stuck at the bar at the wedding reception getting punched in the face by a drunken Kevin O'Neill, than listen to Sean Farnham again.

Onward and upward.
Okay, good puns.
For me, I'd rather do either of those two things than listen to Trump try and spin this into a "we won", no wait, into an "I won" speech.

"It was a very, very good game for us. Tonight proves that if the kids would just listen to me. Jordan Brown didn't want the embrace. sorry, Jordan."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.