Will Zhao get in the game?

4,354 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oskidunker
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That is the only suspense. Come onnJones, give the Chinese reasonnto cheer!
Go Bears!
EricBear
Staff
He hasn't practiced a single time this season. Just rides the exercise bike and shoots FTs. He was doing the same thing at the summer practice I attended. So, no.
oskidunker
They said he was not suited up. Shin splints?
Go Bears!
EricBear
Staff
Yeah, sure.
PalyBear
Then why is he on the team? He's using up a count towards Title IX.
EricBear
Staff
PalyBear said:

Don't know.
Big C
Maybe it had something to do with this trip?
NeverOddOrEven
PalyBear said:

Is he on scholarship?
Schroeder71
Cal should have put James Zhao in with one minute left when mass substitutions were made. Vanover was left in with four other subs. What an insult to the freshman from Beijing NOT to see the court in his home country. It was a once-in-a-lifetime moment for the young man...GEEZ
EricBear
Staff
He has not practiced a single time this season. I'm not sure he even did over the summer. At least not when I attended practice. On the broadcast they said he had "shin splints." He wasn't in an actual uniform, couldn't play. Plenty of things to criticize, but this ain't one of them.

No, he's not on scholarship.
KenBurnski
I'm pretty sure the kid can stand in one spot on offense, and then get badly beaten on defense. I mean what standard is he being held to here? And in a total joke of a game?
EricBear
Staff
Again, plenty to be angry about but let's not be silly. He is listed as injured and wasn't actually wearing a uniform.
KenBurnski
Fair enough. I'll redirect the angst. Thanks for everything you do Eric. Appreciate your presence on the boards.
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

The announcer said it WAS shin splints. Can we at least wait and see what is going on, before we totally trash this young Cal player?
KenBurnski
Who is trashing the player, sir?
SFCityBear
KenBurnski said:

Who is trashing the player, sir?
Read the posts in the thread.
KenBurnski
OK? Someone wondered why he's on the team if he's not capable of standing on the court during a blowout loss? I don't understand how you define that as trashing.

People mostly seemed frustrated that the kid didn't get a chance to play in front of his home town. Given the situational context, it was a fair question. And a question that seems to support the player.
oskidunker
Jelani Gardner syndrom?
Go Bears!
SFCityBear
KenBurnski said:

OK? Someone wondered why he's on the team if he's not capable of standing on the court during a blowout loss? I don't understand how you define that as trashing.

People mostly seemed frustrated that the kid didn't get a chance to play in front of his home town. Given the situational context, it was a fair question. And a question that seems to support the player.
The question supports the player, I agree. It was some of the speculative answers that did anything but support the player, and I felt in a way, were derisive towards him or at least his abilities as a player. We had a post seeming to question whether or not he was actually injured, and another post questioning why he is even on the team, and suggesting he would count toward a Title IX requirement (I don't understand that one, but it didn't sound complimentary), another post suggesting he might be on the team as a favor to his Dad, and another that he might be on the team for something to do with the China trip, as he did act as a guide and interpreter for the team. Maybe I misinterpreted all these posts, or you interpreted them differently. Words mean things, and may mean different things to different people.

My use of the word "trashing" was an exaggeration, I admit, but I hope you can understand my support of Zhao, as I support any player who sits on Cal's bench. I have been highly supportive of Zhao signing with Cal, and highly interested in seeing him play, to see what he can do, from the day he was signed.

EricBear
Staff
Fair post. Appreciate your perspective. I revised one of my comments.
KenBurnski
Understood, SF. Always respect and appreciate your posts. Thanks.
cal83dls79
SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

The announcer said it WAS shin splints. Can we at least wait and see what is going on, before we totally trash this young Cal player?
little shin shin splints or something more serious?
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Bobodeluxe
cal83dls79 said:

SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

Bone spurs?
cal83dls79
Bobodeluxe said:

cal83dls79 said:

SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

Bone spurs?
ok, I was going for the piedmont ave Xmas eve crowd diners to get that joke
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
SFCityBear
cal83dls79 said:

Bobodeluxe said:

cal83dls79 said:

SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

Bone spurs?
ok, I was going for the piedmont ave Xmas eve crowd diners to get that joke
Thanks for the explanation of the joke. Now would you please explain the explanation?
SFCityBear
stu
SFCityBear said:

Now would you please explain the explanation?

Little Shin Shin is a Chinese Restaurant on Piedmont Ave in Oakland. It's been there at least since the 1980s. Good food, lacks upscale ambience.
SFCityBear
stu said:

SFCityBear said:

Now would you please explain the explanation?

Little Shin Shin is a Chinese Restaurant on Piedmont Ave in Oakland. It's been there at least since the 1980s. Good food, lacks upscale ambience.
Thanks Stu, for the explanation. Now I can laugh at the joke, which was pretty good. I think I remember that restaurant, and may even have eaten there once.
SFCityBear
EricBear
Staff
James does not appear to be with the team in Brooklyn.
Jackieridgle
oskidunker said:

That is the only suspense. Come onnJones, give the Chinese reasonnto cheer!

Really?
oskidunker
Street clothes against Broncos.
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.