Can we just cut bait and let Marty Wilson coach the team?

3,734 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think a year and then all summer to come up with a half court offense, is enough time.
socaliganbear
What exactly is he an answer to? Based on what?
KoreAmBear
socaliganbear said:

I don't know, but we do know Wyking is not providing any helpful coaching. We looked like we had no idea how to play basketball last year, and it still looks like that. I think the AD needs to do something about that, especially when you have some talent now, and if you want recruits to actually to come our program. Heck we fired Lou mid-season, and he knew how to coach.
helltopay1
dear koream: "Lou could coach." Please give me your address. I have about six bridges in brooklyn I would like to sell you. My deceased grandmother could outcoach Lou. ( whether she was deceased or living)
BearSD
Seems apparent that one reason Wilson is on the staff now is to have an experienced head coach here in case the administration thinks an in-season move needs to be made.

ducky23
KoreAmBear said:

socaliganbear said:

I don't know, but we do know Wyking is not providing any helpful coaching. We looked like we had no idea how to play basketball last year, and it still looks like that. I think the AD needs to do something about that, especially when you have some talent now, and if you want recruits to actually to come our program. Heck we fired Lou mid-season, and he knew how to coach.

Here's how I know wyking's days are numbered. Cause I'm as hardcore a cal b-ball fan there is, and I just don't care. I didn't feel anything watching the game tonight. Maybe I'll go to a few games this year, maybe not, don't know. And if someone like me doesn't care about going to games, the arena is going to have maybe a couple thousand a game.

Maybe the old cal AD would've just let it slide, but I don't see knowlton accepting an empty arena.
KoreAmBear
ducky23 said:

KoreAmBear said:

socaliganbear said:

Here's how I know wyking's days are numbered. Cause I'm as hardcore a cal b-ball fan there is, and I just don't care. I didn't feel anything watching the game tonight. Maybe I'll go to a few games this year, maybe not, don't know. And if someone like me doesn't care about going to games, the arena is going to have maybe a couple thousand a game.

Maybe the old cal AD would've just let it slide, but I don't see knowlton accepting an empty arena.
Yale is a solid, experienced team, but there is no good reason why we should have been completely out of the game midway through the first half. We didn't even make a bona fide small run of even like 6-0 the rest of the game. I mean come on, this is an Ivy League team that finished third last year. Losing by a little. Fine. Some things to work on? Fine. No movement on O? Layup drills to an Ivy League team? Bad free throw shooting yet again? No energy on D yet again? Not good. We can see where this is going even in the 2nd game. Can't say there's no talent there. There is. We can see it. It's the coaching. I was willing to give Wyking a chance with new players (although whiffing on centers/PFs was not a good sign). I know it's just two games, but both have looked ugly. It's inevitable he's not going to take this team anywhere. You know how this is going to end, so why not just move on now or ASAP. Or else it's a season wasted for the freshmen, and another season wasted for the sophmores.
FloriDreaming
helltopay1 said:

dear koream: "Lou could coach." Please give me your address. I have about six bridges in brooklyn I would like to sell you. My deceased grandmother could outcoach Lou. ( whether she was deceased or living)

Compare to Wyking the moron??? LOL!! Lou was a million time better than this loser. Wyking suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkssssss.
oskidunker
Sorry, Lou revitalized Cal basketball, stopped the streak againnst ucla and installed very good defense.
Go Bears!
UrsaMajor
Uthaithani said:

helltopay1 said:

Compare to Wyking the moron??? LOL!! Lou was a million time better than this loser. Wyking suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkssssss.
Sorry, but personal insults like that are over the line, IMO. Calling Wyking a terrible coach is fine (and maybe even totally warranted), but "moron" is unnecessary (unless, of course, it's pure projection).
NeverOddOrEven
KoreAmBear said:

ducky23 said:

KoreAmBear said:

socaliganbear said:

Yale is a solid, experienced team, but there is no good reason why we should have been completely out of the game midway through the first half. We didn't even make a bona fide small run of even like 6-0 the rest of the game. I mean come on, this is an Ivy League team that finished third last year. Losing by a little. Fine. Some things to work on? Fine. No movement on O? Layup drills to an Ivy League team? Bad free throw shooting yet again? No energy on D yet again? Not good. We can see where this is going even in the 2nd game. Can't say there's no talent there. There is. We can see it. It's the coaching. I was willing to give Wyking a chance with new players (although whiffing on centers/PFs was not a good sign). I know it's just two games, but both have looked ugly. It's inevitable he's not going to take this team anywhere. You know how this is going to end, so why not just move on now or ASAP. Or else it's a season wasted for the freshmen, and another season wasted for the sophmores.

This. It was clear last year when the team showed zero improvement through the year. It's clear one game in to this year. The ONLY thing our coaching has going for it is decent, but not great, recruiting. Time to cut our losses.
EricBear
Staff
oskidunker said:

Sorry, Lou revitalized Cal basketball, stopped the streak againnst ucla and installed very good defense.

Agreed.
south bender
I did not really care about the Boston-Utah NBA game on at about the same time.

However, after watching part of the first and early second half, I could take it no longer. Turned back to the NBA game.

It's just too painful watching Wyking's team...
ducky23
EricBear said:

oskidunker said:

Agreed.

And Lou was at least smart enough to hire someone extremely competent to run his offense
UrsaMajor
ducky23 said:

EricBear said:

oskidunker said:

Agreed.

And Lou was at least smart enough to hire someone extremely competent to run his offense
Not really. Colson was only with Lou briefly and then only because Lou's wife was seriously injured.
ducky23
How bout jay John as interim hc?

Now hear me out first. We will obviously have to promote someone within the program if we fire wyking in-season.

I know he hasn't coached in awhile but

-he has the most experience of the coaches currently within the program
-he has no expectation of getting the HC next year
-coached under lute Olson, has the no nonesense style this team needs
-most importantly, he can teach the fundamentals. Which is what this team desperately needs. We just need this team to have a baseline competence level so when the permanent hc is hired for next year, he won't have to start from scratch

Would the current staff resent him coming in. Probably. But I don't care. They are all gone next year anyways. Maybe we keep grace and that's it.
NeverOddOrEven
ducky23 said:

How bout jay John as interim hc?

Now hear me out first. We will obviously have to promote someone within the program if we fire wyking in-season.

I know he hasn't coached in awhile but

-he has the most experience of the coaches currently within the program
-he has no expectation of getting the HC next year
-coached under lute Olson, has the no nonesense style this team needs
-most importantly, he can teach the fundamentals. Which is what this team desperately needs. We just need this team to have a baseline competence level so when the permanent hc is hired for next year, he won't have to start from scratch

Would the current staff resent him coming in. Probably. But I don't care. They are all gone next year anyways. Maybe we keep grace and that's it.

I love Jay, but no. His record as a head coach speaks for itself.
oskidunker
Players would transfer and recruits would bail
Go Bears!
TonyTiger
First let me say I "watched" the first half on an espn ticker and it was laughable even from the gamecast. I mean even the free throws were bad and thats how I knew hte team must be playing horribly.

That said I would like to state the following:
(An indebt analysis from a person who did not see the game - See Steven A Smith.)

1) With suing and Mc neil taking most of the shots and being 0-12 at one time is it un reasonable to speculate that if they would of just made 50% of their hsots the game would of been a lot closr.
2)They're bench shot way better than us in terms of the three especially in the second half.
3) Wyking Jones was a great!!!!! hire for no matter what he is the one that has brought us in some good talent for the future. What if we hired someone who was a good coach but lousy recruiter. I rather waste two years on getting the talent in (Obviously at Cal we dont know how to hire both) and change courses mid-season.
4) The second half seemed to show dramnatic improvwement inwhich might not be saying much but some sort of adjustment was made and thats better than last year.

My take is that this teams not horrible but if they are as long as this coaching group can keep bringing in the talent lets stick with him and then dump him once he loads the roster - In the mean time lets give it 10 games. Agian, yes, that first half was horrible but only becasue sueing and mcneil could not make a shot.

In the end. We are in good shape becasue Martin left us bone dry and Wyking is putting the beef back on the bone that alone is a reason to be postive. Its amazing how coaches (Martin and Wyking) cant coach offense when even I, knowing little about it know abut ball movement and setting screens.The entire NBa looks better as the enitre league has copied Warriors style. We should too, Just tell the guys to keep moving, pass the ball around and block the guy whose following your team mate. Simple!!!!
SFCityBear
helltopay1 said:

The Straw Hat Band had one of the most inspirational songs ever, 'Louie, Louie" when Lou entered the Arena. I miss that. I agree on Lou, especially on offense, but if we had him as HC now, the defense would be light years better. Not that his coaching would be better, but he'd kick some butt, if the defense wasn't better than this. Oops. I forgot, that's not allowed anymore.
KenBurnski
Perfect attitude to cultivate mediocrity for another few years. Ok, he's not a moron. How about shamefully incompetent?
BeachedBear
KenBurnski said:

Perfect attitude to cultivate mediocrity for another few years. Ok, he's not a moron. How about shamefully incompetent?
Jones seems like a nice guy and it is doubtful that he is a moron, but his competence at coaching at this level is definitely in question. However, as frustrating as it is, cutting bait at this point in the season doesn't seem like the best course of action unless a proven coach is available and willing to come in immediately.

Although others on the coaching staff may have some D1 experience, I don't think any of them are the obvious answer either (and possibly part of the problem). As I've said elsewhere, part of the issue may very well be the talent, but that too is hard to attract to a losing program with an unproven staff.

There are a few positives with this team. But not enough to keep chanting the mantra that we'll be competent in two or three years. It may feel good, but it's not working. Early indications are that there was not enough change in the off season to credit this staff IMHO.

Even in a loss to a decent Ivy league team, this team should have been able to:

• Run the semblance of a simple halfcourt offense - even isolate a two man game on one side of the floor with Kelly posting up. You know, CYO 101 type stuff.
  • Play consistent defense. I thought they looked OK during the first 15 minutes or so, then seemed to run out of focus (much like last year).
  • Play with fire, pride, intensity. This is my biggest concern is that the egos of this young team are fragile and in need of leadership and may already have given up in the first week.

A couple pretty decent games coming up could prove me wrong (HOPEFULLY).
BearSD
BeachedBear said:

A couple pretty decent games coming up could prove me wrong (HOPEFULLY).
Yes, this conversation will go away for now if the Bears are 2-1 after the next two games.
south bender
Is there any interest, on this forum or beyond that, to investigate the hiring of the guy that SFCB has suggested?

I mean the coach at the City College of SF.

bearister
I trust Theo. Once his vigorous objections got him fired, I knew we were in for a long hard ride.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
EricBear said:

oskidunker said:

Agreed.

Played Callippe with him a couple of weeks ago. Just happened to get hooked up with him. He is 80 now. Talked lots of hoop. I won't say anymore about it. Good guy.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.