Pitino - UCLA rumors

4,764 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LOUMFSG2
EricBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I actually thought WSU should go hard after Pitino. Maybe they will once they dump Kent. Looks like some at UCLA are interested.

bearister
UCLA has a leg up in courting Pitino because there are a lot of attractive waitresses in Los Angeles.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
joe amos yaks
Dirty hands.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
BigDaddy
I can tell you with great certainty that Rick Pitino is not on Casey Wasserman's short list.. And CW isn't a billionaire.
KenBurnski
They should cobble together a bunch of recordings of Wooden teaching his players how to tie their shoes and use that as the coach.
EricBear
Staff
Update:

socaltownie
I would be, frankly, amazed if this were to occur. My guess is that if it got REMOTELY close that the Office of the President would call and put a kabosh on it.

And I will tell you - that WOULD happen in Berkeley. If UCLA is able to push back on Oakland and get that hire done....well in a nut shell you have a prime reason for why it is hard for us to compete and not so hard for the UCLA of the world.
blungld
Pitino? Disgusting.

Doesn't matter how much of an ass or cheater you are, brash suit-wearing white guys fail upwards. This is the moral decay of America in proud display (sport reflecting society): mistaking narcissism and greed for competence; rewarding *****s; upholding a culture of win at all costs; and denigrating playing by the rules, sticking to principles, empathy, and putting the needs of others before self.

I have these simple litmus tests for character: how do treat those below your station (watch how someone treats their waiter), are they close to their parents and is that a healthy relationship, and do they call balls out in pick up games if they are last to touch it?

Our President and many many political leaders and corporate executives would fail at all three, and sadly most pro athletes reflexively point "our ball" on every out of bounds moment even if they know they touched it last. Would love an NBA star to once ask a ref to reverse their call because they touched it. What an example that would set--but of course Joe Sports Fan Mr Rah Rah America would call that player an idiot "Not trying if you're not cheating!"

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Fyght4Cal
socaltownie said:

I would be, frankly, amazed if this were to occur. My guess is that if it got REMOTELY close that the Office of the President would call and put a kabosh on it.

And I will tell you - that WOULD happen in Berkeley. If UCLA is able to push back on Oakland and get that hire done....well in a nut shell you have a prime reason for why it is hard for us to compete and not so hard for the UCLA of the world.
The fact that I cannot rule out a Pitino hire at UCLA disturbs me greatly.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Civil Bear
Heh, I thought you were describing our new Gov.
Yogi58
EricBear said:

I actually thought WSU should go hard after Pitino. Maybe they will once they dump Kent. Looks like some at UCLA are interested.

Makes perfect sense. UCLA has a long rich history of looking the other way for coaches who know how to cheat their way to multiple national titles.
concordtom
bearister said:

UCLA has a leg up in courting Pitino because there are a lot of attractive waitresses in Los Angeles.
He should hire Boris Becker as an assistant recruiter. Those two will do just fine together!
wifeisafurd
Guess we will see how much pull Wasserman (against Pitino hire) has. What no Obama?
concordtom
blungld said:

I have these simple litmus tests for character: how do treat those below your station (watch how someone treats their waiter), are they close to their parents and is that a healthy relationship, and do they call balls out in pick up games if they are last to touch it?

Nice.
But what if it's the parent who is the narcissist?
Are you going to hold it against the kid if he's the one to break from a parent who has been psychologically abusing the child for decades?

Sometimes the healthiest thing a kid can do is say "f u, I'm not taking it anymore."
For instance, the trump kids might want to follow Michael Cohen's lead.
blungld
concordtom said:

blungld said:

Nice.
But what if it's the parent who is the narcissist?
Are you going to hold it against the kid if he's the one to break from a parent who has been psychologically abusing the child for decades?

Sometimes the healthiest thing a kid can do is say "f u, I'm not taking it anymore."
For instance, the trump kids might want to follow Michael Cohen's lead.
Of course you are correct. I meant more are they ungrateful, do they give to their parents time and energy, have they fostered an intimate relationship. All bets off if parents are messed up.

concordtom
Thanks. I feel personally bolstered.
bluesaxe
blungld said:

Pitino? Disgusting.

Doesn't matter how much of an ass or cheater you are, brash suit-wearing white guys fail upwards. This is the moral decay of America in proud display (sport reflecting society): mistaking narcissism and greed for competence; rewarding *****s; upholding a culture of win at all costs; and denigrating playing by the rules, sticking to principles, empathy, and putting the needs of others before self.

Our President and many many political leaders and corporate executives would fail at all three, and sadly most pro athletes reflexively point "our ball" on every out of bounds moment even if they know they touched it last. Would love an NBA star to once ask a ref to reverse their call because they touched it. What an example that would set--but of course Joe Sports Fan Mr Rah Rah America would call that player an idiot "Not trying if you're not cheating!"
Your "relationship with parents" test is unfair. Some parents aren't worth having a relationship with.
Beardog26
Agreed, though to be fair to blungold, he did acknowledge that distinction in a subsequent post in this thread.
blungld
concordtom said:

Thanks. I feel personally bolstered.
Am I happy to have bolstered?

EricBear
Staff
socaltownie
EricBear said:

This is an AWFUL article. Does ANYONE think that the regents got pinged this early? While (see above) I HIGHLY doubt Slick Rick gets through the process this feels MORE like an issue where the Office of the President would intercede (as she has been doing more often). The fact they got this wrong makes me question the whole thing.

Why are sports "journalists" held to any standard?
SFCityBear
socaltownie said:

EricBear said:

This is an AWFUL article. Does ANYONE think that the regents got pinged this early? While (see above) I HIGHLY doubt Slick Rick gets through the process this feels MORE like an issue where the Office of the President would intercede (as she has been doing more often). The fact they got this wrong makes me question the whole thing.

Why are any journalists held to any standard? And they aren't anymore, sad to say.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
blungld said:

Pitino? Disgusting.

Some years ago, I was having dinner with my family in a small neighborhood Chinese restaurant when Martina Navratilova walked in with three people to have dinner. She had a cold and was coughing and sneezing throughout the meal and was unbelievably obnoxious to her waiters the whole time. Made everyone in the restaurant miserable.

And it is fascinating how some posters know so much about the intimate details of the relationships that the President has with all his sons and daughters.
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor
As for the "article," there is no UCLA Board of Regents. There is just the Board of Regents for the University as a whole; while they have to approve salaries above a certain figure, they don't usually get involved in coach hiring.
Fyght4Cal
socaltownie said:

EricBear said:

Yes, the Regents got pinged this early. Perhaps not all of them, but certainly those close to UCLA were. Most of the Regents are major UC donors. How tough is it for one major donor to call another? Do you think they live on Mt Olympus? I haven't spoken with them, but I know some of the players in this situation enough to have complete confidence that due diligence was done.
socaltownie
Fyght4Cal said:

socaltownie said:

EricBear said:

Yes, the Regents got pinged this early. Perhaps not all of them, but certainly those close to UCLA were. Most of the Regents are major UC donors. How tough is it for one major donor to call another? Do you think they live on Mt Olympus? I haven't spoken with them, but I know some of the players in this situation enough to have complete confidence that due diligence was done.
I call SERIOUS BS. You, sir, are talking out of an orifice other than your mouth.

Here is the list of regents. Please identify "those close to UCLA"

https://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/about/members-and-advisors/index.html

What this misreads (horrifically) is how the regents actually work, operate, and who gets asked to serve. The brilliance (and honestly it still is) that sports is a minor afterthought for the Board and the vast majority (all?) of its members. There is NOT a sports nut on it. Indeed, I would be shocked if a single member has season tixs to the bruins or sits in a sky box at Pauly. PERHAPS Sures but I have never seen him listed as a key UCLA sports donor.

Fyght4Cal
socaltownie said:

Fyght4Cal said:

socaltownie said:

EricBear said:

I call SERIOUS BS. You, sir, are talking out of an orifice other than your mouth.

https://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/about/members-and-advisors/index.html

What this misreads (horrifically) is how the regents actually work, operate, and who gets asked to serve. The brilliance (and honestly it still is) that sports is a minor afterthought for the Board and the vast majority (all?) of its members. There is NOT a sports nut on it. Indeed, I would be shocked if a single member has season tixs to the bruins or sits in a sky box at Pauly. PERHAPS Sures but I have never seen him listed as a key UCLA sports donor.

Too freaking easy. Let's start with Board chair George Kieffer, UCLA JD; Cecilia Estolano, UCLA MA; in addition to Jay Sures, UCLA BA. I'm sure others here can give you the details of getting approvals for multi-million salaries at UC.

Your sports donor argument is a straw man. I said Regents are often major UC donors. Campus donors, not athletic donors. Reading is fundamental.
socaltownie
Fyght4Cal said:

socaltownie said:

Fyght4Cal said:

socaltownie said:

EricBear said:

Too freaking easy. Let's start with Board chair George Kieffer, UCLA JD; Cecilia Estolano, UCLA MA; in addition to Jay Sures, UCLA BA. I'm sure others here can give you the details of getting approvals for multi-million salaries at UC.

Your sports donor argument is a straw man. I said Regents are often major UC donors. Campus donors, not athletic donors. Reading is fundamental.
You are just reading Bios. Kieffer has a JD from there but is FAR more involved with Downtown LA poliitics through the chamber and LA city Democratic Politics. Estolano is a long time environmental justice advocate. Sures is the wildcard - again, I don't know him well enough to comment.

Salaries go to the regents AFTER the deal is signed off by the campus leadership and the Office of President. As above, where Patino would get nixed is in Oakland at the O of P.
Fyght4Cal
socaltownie said:

Fyght4Cal said:

socaltownie said:

Fyght4Cal said:

socaltownie said:

EricBear said:

You are just reading Bios. Kieffer has a JD from there but is FAR more involved with Downtown LA poliitics through the chamber and LA city Democratic Politics. Estolano is a long time environmental justice advocate. Sures is the wildcard - again, I don't know him well enough to comment.

Salaries go to the regents AFTER the deal is signed off by the campus leadership and the Office of President. As above, where Patino would get nixed is in Oakland at the O of P.
So it's your position that these three UCLA graduates, on the UC Board of Regents are not close to the campus leadership at UCLA?
socaltownie
Fyght4Cal said:

socaltownie said:

Fyght4Cal said:

socaltownie said:

Fyght4Cal said:

socaltownie said:

EricBear said:

So it's your position that these three UCLA graduates, on the UC Board of Regents are not close to the campus leadership at UCLA?
In a word, yes. By your logic Bloom is wired closely to campus and would be key to who gets hired to coach the Bears. I might suggest that he has MUCH bigger fish to fry l;-)
EricBear
Staff
Rothstein on UCLA job:

socaltownie
Serious question - does anyone particularly close to UCLA boosters see them as having Wooden myopia or is this a function of a VERY few media types (aka Walton) who have a microphone and abuse that old saw to no end?

I won't comment about Alford but Ben Howland got canned cause his brand of basektball was really ugly to watch (and hasn't shown the rule changes have made his style passe). Lavin is lavin. Again, he did well with great recruits but when it was just on him the Ruins became "ordinary".
HoopDreams
by the way, ucla beat ducks in OT yesterday
BearSD
socaltownie said:

Lavin is lavin. Again, he did well with great recruits but when it was just on him the Ruins became "ordinary".
Lavin's UCLA teams were in the Sweet 16 four times in six years. Maybe there are UCLA boosters who consider that too ordinary, but even for them, post-Wooden, it's a lot better than ordinary.

LOUMFSG2
A couple of great games in the state of Oregon last night. Epic comeback by the Bruins, down 8 with 40 seconds left, forced OT and beat the Ducks. And then USC took the Beavs to OT as well, although the home team prevailed in that one. And OSU was missing Tres Tinkle in that one. They are now 2-0 in conference.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.