Oregon State now a model for us lol

2,506 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oskidunker
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They've been bottom feeders for a few years, but now with their main guys as upper classmen, they seem to have some leverage against the rest of the Pac-12. They are 3-0 in conference and looking like a solid team. So we could be decent to good when guys like Justice, Darius, Bradley and Kelley are juniors and seniors. Not sure Wyking will be the one leading them, but we will have our time (so long as there is no exodus).
bearister
KoreAmBear said:

They've been bottom feeders for a few years, but now with their main guys as upper classmen, they seem to have some leverage against the rest of the Pac-12. They are 3-0 in conference and looking like a solid team. So we could be decent to good when guys like Justice, Darius, Bradley and Kelley are juniors and seniors. Not sure Wyking will be the one leading them, but we will have our time (so long as there is no exodus).

+1. Nobody leaving for the NBA on the Bears. I can't even imagine how much damage our guys will do after 3 and 4 years experience under their belts.
KoreAmBear
bearister said:

KoreAmBear said:

+1. Nobody leaving for the NBA on the Bears. I can't even imagine how much damage our guys will do after 3 and 4 years experience under their belts.
But we can't have guys transferring out. That's key.
bbfollower
Watching the Bears loss on Saturday night was depressing; watching the Beavers win on Sunday night was exhilarating.

Sad to say, the Beavers are my favorite team right now.
oskidunker
My favorite team is USF.
Go Bears!
joe amos yaks
OSu is a tall more experienced team with a most excellent bench coach. Weakest position is at PG.
C Kelly is a real beast. . . West Linn HS (near Corvallis, OR) to NW Nazarene College (directly across the street from UO in Eugene) to Lane CC (Eugene).
Good kid with poor grades out of HS.
Coach at NW Naz was former Duck PG Luke Jackson.
Kelly said no to Duckz.
100% Beav' at heart.

Go Beavs'.
Go Dons.
Go Bears!
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
bearister
bbfollower said:

...Sad to say, the Beavers are my favorite team right now.

That one is so easy I could take it yard but will decline to do so.
sluggo
KoreAmBear said:

I think OSU is a role model. It was clear from the beginning that Tinkle is a good coach. They always played as a team and seemed to know what they were trying to do but could not win until the talent got a little better/more experienced. I hope Cal can find its Wayne Tinkle. Maybe that is Travis Decuire, who replaced Tinkle at Montana. I think Cal's model should be find a talented coach who wants to build, whether that is someone with success as a head coach or as a top assistant at a good program. Hiring the third assistant from a poorly coached team was an only at Cal move.

Under everyone since Lou Campanelli, Cal has recruited at something like mid conference, so I don't think the goal should be to hire a recruiter type. Even Monty recruited good players, just not enough to have the depth that was needed to go farther in the tournament. As fewer players go to college due to the elimination of one-and-done and more players play in minor leagues domestically or top leagues abroad, the value of a coach who can teach and develop and strategize will increase.

Cal might get a little better as their players get more experience, but WJ is so truly dreadful that I don't think they could ever get to say mid conference. Fortunately, him staying appears to be unlikely.

Sluggo
socaltownie
Really disagree here.

Yes. Oregon state in a time of abject failure by the conference _MIGHT_ make the NCAA tournament. MIGHT. And get in as an 8-9 and quickly get trounced (raise your hand if you remember some of our EPIC 8-9 match ups to 1 seeds and how demoralizing they are. If I remember correctly we failed to get it across half court 4 times in a row against UCONN).

Now I know. Making the Tournament isn't that big of deal to some of the guys that are pulling social security and enjoying medicare. For those slightly younger, however, it is the ONLY metric that matters anymore in College hoops and frankly why many of us are frankly still pretty pleased with Martin getting us a four seed that would have been FINE absent some really bad Indian burial ground Cal luck.

To get above the 7-10 seed in the tournament you NEED talent. To get talent you NEED to recruit better than Monty. And thus you NEED a guy able to recruit (and coach). End stop.

sluggo
I did not like the Martin era. The Bears played dreadful ball but had one good year due to amazing talent. Getting Rabb and Brown was great, but it was a one-time event. In the future players like Brown will not even go to college. I liked the Monty/Jay John era where Cal played good ball and results varied according to talent. Also that model is less expensive and sustainable. Plus Cal should get better recruits than OSU so a coach like Tinkle would be expected to do better at Cal.

Sluggo
Beaverdreams2
As an OSU fan that frequents this board, this is very interesting for me to read. Most of our fans have been way more critical of Tinkle, and are just now backing off with their criticisms. He does seem to finally have some veteran talent in place, which is why I was surprised that the preseason media picked us 10th. The big surprise I think for most of us has been Kyler Kelley. This dude is a FORCE....and he, along with the freshman Warren Washington and Big G at centers......you have a veritably dominating defense. This team starting to look like more than a couple stars.....a pretty deep supporting cast as well. Course the moment I typed that I probably morphed into Charlie Brown trying to kick the proverbial football.....we may go down and get swept at the Arizona schools (not the END of the world if it happens I suppose). But something tells me this team is a little more than the recent Beaver teams.

You guys are probably mostly too young to remember, but OSU basketball used to be a pretty big deal. I remember as a kid the Beavs were #1 in the nation. A lot of older fans unrealistically base everything to where we were then in the 70s and 80s and even early nineties. For the young fans this is pretty magical stuff, starting the conference 3-0. Time will tell, but I definitely think Tinkle has something exciting in the works.

Wish Cal the best- they're my second favorite team. Need a new coach, quite clearly. The sooner the better.
UrsaMajor
Beav:
This post illustrates some of what SCT and others are saying: you were good in bygone days because you had a legendary coach (Ralph Miller).
HoopDreams
Beaverdreams2 said:

As an OSU fan that frequents this board, this is very interesting for me to read. Most of our fans have been way more critical of Tinkle, and are just now backing off with their criticisms. He does seem to finally have some veteran talent in place, which is why I was surprised that the preseason media picked us 10th. The big surprise I think for most of us has been Kyler Kelley. This dude is a FORCE....and he, along with the freshman Warren Washington and Big G at centers......you have a veritably dominating defense. This team starting to look like more than a couple stars.....a pretty deep supporting cast as well. Course the moment I typed that I probably morphed into Charlie Brown trying to kick the proverbial football.....we may go down and get swept at the Arizona schools (not the END of the world if it happens I suppose). But something tells me this team is a little more than the recent Beaver teams.

You guys are probably mostly too young to remember, but OSU basketball used to be a pretty big deal. I remember as a kid the Beavs were #1 in the nation. A lot of older fans unrealistically base everything to where we were then in the 70s and 80s and even early nineties. For the young fans this is pretty magical stuff, starting the conference 3-0. Time will tell, but I definitely think Tinkle has something exciting in the works.

Wish Cal the best- they're my second favorite team. Need a new coach, quite clearly. The sooner the better.

I thought tinkle was a good coach from day 1
And his son is the best baller in the conference in my opinion
Others may have higher NBA potential, but as a college player he is number 1 in the pac12. Hope he wins POY.
I understand if tinkle stayed Montana his son might have come to Cal (or Stanford)

When he got the Thompson brothers I thought the sky was the limit, but then your PF surprisely opeted to go pro. But I didn't know anything about your incoming players, but looks like they are very good.

In college, one new player can really make an impact if they are in the right position and you got some solid talent

So for me, I have always recognized OSU's good coach, and team's potential. I thought last year's team under performed, but thought it was mostly due to tinkle's injury

Next year should be pretty good too, although I think tinkle goes pro
calumnus
sluggo said:

I did not like the Martin era. The Bears played dreadful ball but had one good year due to amazing talent. Getting Rabb and Brown was great, but it was a one-time event. In the future players like Brown will not even go to college. I liked the Monty/Jay John era where Cal played good ball and results varied according to talent. Also that model is less expensive and sustainable. Plus Cal should get better recruits than OSU so a coach like Tinkle would be expected to do better at Cal.

Sluggo

Sluggo, I usually love your posts but...

A 4-seed "one-time event" in the second year of a two year "era"? That is pretty damn good. That would be like Tedford making the BCS in 2003 his second year. There is no telling if it was "sustainable" or not. We did not get to see.
sluggo
calumnus said:

sluggo said:

Sluggo

Sluggo, I usually love your posts but...

A 4-seed "one-time event" in the second year of a two year "era"? That is pretty damn good. That would be like Tedford making the BCS in 2003 his second year. There is no telling if it was "sustainable" or not. We did not get to see.
Maybe we will just disagree on this one. It is true that I don't have enough data to be conclusive. We did see in his third year that recruiting momentum was not maintained. Rabb was like the 10th best high schooler in the country who was open to staying home and fit in at Cal. He convinced his buddy Brown, who was the second best player in the country and who valued Cal's education and diversity, to join him. Of course other stories could lead such players to Cal, but it seems unlikely to me. Why would a basketball player pick Cal over say UCLA, Michigan, Duke or Stanford? To play for a crap coach like Martin? Because of Cal's long history of success and fan support? Also when the one-and-done rule goes then players like Brown skip college. I stand by my belief that the Martin model is not sustainable.

Even with 4 NBA players and a strong college player like Mathews Cal got a four seed. With only 1 or 2 NBA players how would you expect Martin to do? I did like the players but not the way they played together. I would go back to a Monty type where the basketball was good and the recruiting and results went up and down any day of the week. I realize that my hopes are not the same as some others. I just want to enjoy Cal basketball. I have the Warriors and FC Barcelona for championships.

Sluggo
Big C
Beaverdreams2 said:

Ha, I definitely remember Oregon State basketball in the early 1980s: Ray Blume, Mark Radford, Steve Johnson, Oakland's own Lester Conner, etc. AC Green, after that. Good players playing an exciting brand of basketball!
socaltownie
Big C said:

Beaverdreams2 said:

Ha, I definitely remember Oregon State basketball in the early 1980s: Ray Blume, Mark Radford, Steve Johnson, Oakland's own Lester Conner, etc. AC Green, after that. Good players playing an exciting brand of basketball!
And one of the best players Oakland has ever produced - Gary Payton. His performance (and Oski's despicable one) are ones for the history book. ONly time I have ever rooted against Cal and was happy to see them lose.
Beaverdreams2
Hah, yeah....well Payton was no angel. It was great he was on our team, but probably wouldn't have liked him otherwise. He got permanently kicked out of at least a couple downtown bars....

My favorite memory, I can remember it like yesterday.....he was singlehandedly destroying an Adam Keefe led Stanford team, and GeePee yells at Mike Montgomery, "Get someone out here that can cover me!!!"
oskidunker
Never happy to see Cal lose. What does a drunk oski have to do with supporting the basketball team???
Go Bears!
socaltownie
Oski threw a whipped cream pie into the face of the Payton family who has dressed up to see their son play his last college game in the east bay. Rumor is that it "slipped" but it was such a rotten rotten thing to do if you know the family and what it is like to get of oakland
oskidunker
The ralley com gave oski the pie for his birthday. I was sitting there with two attorneys. We all disliked Payton because he was kicking our ass. For 10 seconds everyone laughed and then we realized it was not funny.

Can still recall Oski swooning around and almost losing control of the pie, not knowing what to do with it and really not caring. Very bad.

He was suspended for a very long time.
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.