Has he been fired yet

12,238 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Strykur
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskidunker
Wait until the Golden Buffalos run through Haas.
Go Bears!
socaltownie
That would be my guess. You have a week between the CU game and Furd. _IF_ you were going to make a change then I think you would do it then.
oskidunker
I would do it now
Go Bears!
socaltownie
oskidunker said:

I would do it now
So would I but that isnt happening. It would be UNPRECENDENTED for cal to fire someone during the middle of a road trip and honestly might not be good for student welfare. You would do it, if you didn't want to wait, Monday AM when you could also talk to the students.
oskidunker
Offer him a low buy out and tell he is being fired for cause if he does not accept.
Go Bears!
Yogi58
oskidunker said:

Offer him a low buy out and tell he is being fired for cause if he does not accept.
parentswerebears
One of the dumbest things I've heard all day and I work with middle schoolers.
oskidunker
Keeping him
Is worse.
Go Bears!
calbear70
Another almost 20 point loss. Up next the Colorado Buffalos who will put another 20 point whipping on the Wykings Warriors. Tis team clearly has shut down, they have no hope and no confidence of ever winning. Why do we keep Wyking employed? Let's pay him off and move on! Pass the hat $$
Yogi58
calbear70 said:

Why do we keep Wyking employed? Let's pay him off and move on! Pass the hat $$
Because the season isn't over and the guy we want to hire to replace him won't be available until possibly as late as early April
SFCityBear
socaltownie said:

oskidunker said:

I would do it now
So would I but that isnt happening. It would be UNPRECENDENTED for cal to fire someone during the middle of a road trip and honestly might not be good for student welfare. You would do it, if you didn't want to wait, Monday AM when you could also talk to the students.
Not the fairest to fire a coach after a road trip to Washington. Arguably the toughest road trip for the conference's southern teams, and has been for decades. Better to give him a chance to win a couple of home games where Cal is more comfortable playing.

Why would we want to talk to the students? So few of them even bother to come to games. If you meant the players, the student athletes, then I agree They need to be told together, as a group, carefully and sincerely.
SFCityBear
Strykur
SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

oskidunker said:

I would do it now
Not the fairest to fire a coach after a road trip to Washington. Arguably the toughest road trip for the conference's southern teams, and has been for decades. Better to give him a chance to win a couple of home games where Cal is more comfortable playing.
Wow are you ****ing serious? What home games is this team winning? Go ahead, name them.
oskidunker
The answer is none.
Go Bears!
OdontoBear66
SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

oskidunker said:

I would do it now

Why would we want to talk to the students? So few of them even bother to come to games. If you meant the players, the student athletes, then I agree They need to be told together, as a group, carefully and sincerely.
SF, you and I are of the same vintage. I am not even sure about what should be done with the Cal BB program right now. The quandary sounds unbelievable with whether or not we should fire, the impact of buybacks to donors, the state of the program with regards to needing more quality players (three apparently coming next year). But the one thing I do know is that wherever I have been (home, travel, etc.) I have stopped everything, always for Cal FB and BB. There was always hope, and there was also a measure of talent to go with that hope.

That hope is there with FB as it has been cleaned up and is moving forward even with its controversy on the offensive side. But there is hope.

Men's BB, not so. I have never missed games as I have this year and last. The aura of hope is gone. Yesterday I checked in before half and it was close. Came back after halftime and the runaway began. I can even hate on myself for giving up, but it seems so fruitless. And since 1953 when I first started following Cal BB I can honestly say it has never been like this. Never. I propose no solutions, for I know not the inside and what is playing out, but things are not good.

I do not even accuse, as I know not whether it is the players, the coaches, or the situation we were left in when Cuonzo walked leaving the cupboard bare. But things are not right. I cannot foresee a win in conference but may be wrong. All I know is that good BB is not being played by our team.
socaltownie
SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

oskidunker said:

I would do it now

Yes. Student athletes. Lets remember that, if we are being true to who cal is, they are first and foremost students on a university sponsored trip. You would NEVER dismiss, except in the worst circumstances, the person in charge of the trip in the middle of the trip.

Again, I would NOT be surprised to see a change after this weekend. But I also thought that they showed improvement Wash State to Washington. Yeah, still a blow out loss but they played well the first 15-18 minutes. It is when they get nervous that they fold.

oskidunker
No improvement Washington could not make a shot in first 10 minutes. They had 1 field goal. You are grasping at straws and now straws are banned at Haas
Go Bears!
FloriDreaming
oskidunker said:

I would do it now

I would have done it last year. Actually I would have never even given him an interview. But one stupid action by the admin after another...
Civil Bear
Strykur said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

oskidunker said:

I would do it now
Wow are you ****ing serious? What home games is this team winning? Go ahead, name them.
Nevermind what home games we will win, the Washington road trip hasn't arguably been the toughest since Bennet left for UVA. And certainly not since the formation of the Pac 12!
myclam
He can't recruit

He can't coach

Get rid of him
parentswerebears
myclam said:

He can't recruit

He can't coach

Get rid of him

I agree with 2/3 of that. Get someone who can coach and these kids will come alive.
grrrah76
I hate that I cannot bring myself to watch Cal basketball. I have even turned down great seats at Pauley Pavillon (I live in Los Angeles) to watch the Bears against the Bruins, because the outcome is virtually another guaranteed loss.

Our coach was been put in an extremely difficult position from the beginning, but hiring an assistant for continuity and saving money has been a disaster. Its almost like if Donald Trump became President.

It reflects poorly on the university and the athletic department to let this go on any further. I trust that our new AD will do the right thing.

I want to be able to watch our team again.

Go Bears
ncbears
Wasn't Campanelli fired after the second road loss in Arizona to Arizona State when he who shall not be named but constantly vilified for even more incompetence as an AD than Mike Williams heard a profane tirade in the locker room?
Northside91
ncbears said:

Wasn't Campanelli fired after the second road loss in Arizona to Arizona State when he who shall not be named but constantly vilified for even more incompetence as an AD than Mike Williams heard a profane tirade in the locker room?

Yes, fired immediately after the road trip so the team could be turned over to JK and his flunky coach. Don't think it was immediately after the second game. I'm sure it was after the team returned to Berkeley.

Don't get your hopes up that the same will happen here. Totally different set of circumstances with the current Cal team and totally different planet in 2019.
KenBurnski
No postgame press conference video of Jones from either of the WA games.
bearister
Here is a 22 year old story from the SI vaults that is a very detailed expose of the Bozeman hijinks, with a mention of the circumstances surrounding Lou's fall from grace.

https://www.si.com/vault/1996/09/09/217172/haste-made-waste-cals-basketball-coach-todd-bozeman-was-a-man-in-a-hurry-until-charges-of-wrongdoing-halted-him
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
EricBear
Staff
KenBurnski said:

No postgame press conference video of Jones from either of the WA games.

I interviewed Wyking after the Washington game. Audio only.
KenBurnski
Thanks Eric.
ncbears
Yeah, I recall the allegations of the "coup" orchestrated by Bozeman - I didn't recall the Stevie Johnson story - but thought there was something about Kidd talking to the AD about Campanelli. But, I posted initially just as an aside to the idea that Cal has not fired a coach mid-season.
SFCityBear
Strykur said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

oskidunker said:

I would do it now
Well thanks for the profanity. That always makes being here more pleasant. Amateur basketball is a game for kids, and entertainment for fans. It is a frivolous way for us to spend our precious time here on the planet. Why fans get so serious about it is a mystery to me. It is entertainment, nothing more. If you don't like it, why follow it? Why get so hopped up over it, if that is the case? You and I can do absolutely nothing about what is happening to the Cal basketball program, unless you you are Calbear80 with the pockets full of cash. But even he doesn't want to do anything about it. He gripes and moans about the poor slob who is coaching this mess in 100 different ways here on the BI, when all he has to do is call up the AD and offer him a bundle of cash to buy the coach out.

I digress. Since you missed several Cal home games this season, here are the facts: Cal MBB has had FIVE HOME WINS this season: Hampton, Santa Clara, San Diego State, Cal Poly, and San Jose State. Since you missed these games, or forgot about them, or refuse to acknowledge them, you can look them up right here on the Bear Insider. In fact the Golden Bears HAVE A WINNING RECORD AT HOME this season so far. They are 5-4 at home in Haas. So it is a better place to fire the bum, when they are home and can go to their own rooms in their own warm beds and sleep this one off.

Actually, with all the hate thrown at him, if he is not fired, I would not be surprised if Jones resigned at the end of the season. Only the cash would tempt me to keep such a job, and it would not be enough to endure this punishment.

SFCityBear
82gradDLSdad
SFCityBear said:

Strykur said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

oskidunker said:

I would do it now
Well thanks for the profanity. That always makes being here more pleasant. Amateur basketball is a game for kids, and entertainment for fans. It is a frivolous way for us to spend our precious time here on the planet. Why fans get so serious about it is a mystery to me. It is entertainment, nothing more. If you don't like it, why follow it? Why get so hopped up over it, if that is the case? You and I can do absolutely nothing about what is happening to the Cal basketball program, unless you you are Calbear80 with the pockets full of cash. But even he doesn't want to do anything about it. He gripes and moans about the poor slob who is coaching this mess in 100 different ways here on the BI, when all he has to do is call up the AD and offer him a bundle of cash to buy the coach out.

I digress. Since you missed several Cal home games this season, here are the facts: Cal MBB has had FIVE HOME WINS this season: Hampton, Santa Clara, San Diego State, Cal Poly, and San Jose State. Since you missed these games, or forgot about them, or refuse to acknowledge them, you can look them up right here on the Bear Insider. In fact the Golden Bears HAVE A WINNING RECORD AT HOME this season so far. They are 5-4 at home in Haas. So it is a better place to fire the bum, when they are home and can go to their own rooms in their own warm beds and sleep this one off.

Actually, with all the hate thrown at him, if he is not fired, I would not be surprised if Jones resigned at the end of the season. Only the cash would tempt me to keep such a job, and it would not be enough to endure this punishment.

I would not resign. $2 million to $5 million (if my memory of what I've read about his contract is correct) is a huge jump for most middle class wage earners. He may never get a chance to make this kind of money again.
Strykur
82gradDLSdad said:

SFCityBear said:

Strykur said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

oskidunker said:

I would do it now

I would not resign. $2 million to $5 million (if my memory of what I've read about his contract is correct) is a huge jump for most middle class wage earners. He may never get a chance to make this kind of money again.
That's basically it, Jones was a longtime assistant and had stops with some good programs, and this debacle will send him back to either the assistant ranks or out of college altogether, this is his retirement package.
Bear19
SFCityBear
Civil Bear said:

Strykur said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

oskidunker said:

I would do it now
Nevermind what home games we will win, the Washington road trip hasn't arguably been the toughest since Bennet left for UVA. And certainly not since the formation of the Pac 12!
The northern swing through Seattle and Pullman may not be as tough a road trip as it used to be with taking trains and buses in the cold and snow of winter, but it is still a tough trip. I can't trust my memory, so I had to look up the record for conference teams winning on UW's and WSU's home floors for the last 10 years. You may be right, or you may be thinking of Cal's success in the state of Washington over the last 10 years, which has been very good, only 6 losses vs UW and WSU combined. Only Utah has a better record on that trip, with only 3 combined losses in 7 seasons of PAC12 play. Cal has a better record up north in those 10 years than AZ, UCLA, and Oregon. The teams that have done the worst on the northern trip are OSU, with a combined 12 losses in 10 years, and ASU with 11 combined losses.

Washington has won 58 of 90 conference home games in the last 10 years, or 64%. Their best seasons were in 2009 and 2012, where they won 8 of 9 home games in each year. In those 10 years they knocked off several ranked teams:

2018: #25 ASU, #9 AZ
2016: #25 UCLA
2015: #13 Utah
2014: #15 Colorado
2009: #13 UCLA, #14 ASU

Washington State has won 37 of 90 conference home games or 41%. Their best season in the last 10 years at home was 2011, when they won 6 of 9 home games. In those 10 years they knocked off these ranked teams:

2016: #25 UCLA
2013: #23 UCLA
2011: #18 UW
2009: #14 ASU

UW and WSU combined have a home record over 10 years of 99 wins out of 180 games, or 53%. So on average, teams traveling up north can expect to lose one of those games and on a bad trip, lose both. It may not be as tough a trip as it used to be, as you said, but all PAC12 teams coming into the state of Washington, would be wise not to overlook these two teams on their home floors.
f
SFCityBear
MilleniaBear
Dont fire till end of season but go ahead and hire a consultant to find a replacement
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.