coaching

4,667 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 3146gabby
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

now the Dons are circling the airport dumping fuel, just as the Bears yanked on the joystick and avoided clipping the top of El Capitan.

Maybe we avoided clipping the top of Nob Hill, but I get your point.
4thGenCal
3146gabby said:

My comments about coaching acumen are within the following context:

1. No bench.

2. Point guard who cannot shoot (including free throws) and is at best a work in progress in dishing. Cannot finish @ the rim.

3. A center with potential but right now is a non force rebounding, inside offensive skills. Even w/him we are small, small.

4. A decent 2 guard; good potential with Bradley and Seuing good @ times, but loses focus too often.

None are game changers and over-all skill level is at bottom of pac 12.

Yes it is impossible to ignore a 2 win Pac 12 record, but it is really difficult w/the above talent level to objectively access WJ's explicit and implicit coaching skills

Nice to read objective posts - for this staff to keep the players competing hard and leaving it all on the floor, with the above stated accurate assessments is impressive. As Justin Wilcox said to me during halftime yesterday: "Wyking deserves another year absolutely, those people asking for his firing, don't understand what he started with".
helltopay1
Thank you Mr. Wilcox.
SFCityBear
3146gabby said:

wondering whether Travis, Turner, "then" rather than "now" would be viewed with same amount of certainty? Travis at least was as untested (no head coaching experience before Montana) as Jones.

as to the NIT team I followed them and they had significantly more talent and frankly a lousy coach; reinforcing a view that talent is the true starting point. Braun's offense was as awful as they come.

look I am not making the argument that WJ is it, just that the over-top comments here are more emotional - I note the one about Peter Newell - than objective especially since most/none of us know the inside workings of coaching.

my family has a small non profit and we work with first generation students, mostly learning English - one of our major goals is to teach 'critical thinking.'

trying to apply that here and with the aforementioned lack of talent, I don't think the fire/don't fire WJ is an easy call.
Bless you and your family for doing this needed work. If I can tell from your posts on basketball, I think you are the right man for teaching critical thinking.
SFCityBear
BeachedBear
If I were evaluating a coach, I would rely less on excuses for failure and identify what the coach does well. Sort of a pros and cons list. But the pros need to be more than 'he was dealt a rough hand and didn't quit' (although there is something to be said for that, but its still and excuse).
3146gabby
SF bear (and 4th gen); appreciate your comments....I don't often join in but the irrational drives me nuts. I am deeply emotional about the Bears too but it appears to drive many on this board to the point that logic is lost or at least the need to ask questions.

As to our non profit, the joy these incredible students give us - many come here without parents - outweighs what we give them. They inspire us every day.

OT I know but our experiences remind us that most people want safety, health for their for their children, a decent life and are usually there to help others......

I guess that is likely the ultimate pumper view of life....

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.