three points

4,184 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by prospeCt
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1) mcKim said that Cal will probably bring in 1-2 players during the spring. That means Davis is leaving this spring and Cal has already targeted 1 our 2 players.
2) The associate HC spoke after the game rather than WJ. what does this mean?/We don't know
3) The last thing Walker said is " I can't be late for my recruiting flight TONIGHT. what does this mean??Again, we don't know.
4) cal played hard during their last 4 games. That is not nothing. Defensively, they played at a much higher level than before. Dispositive?/we don't know.
5) The most important variable is how they players and parents feel about WJ. Only the AD knows.
6) Have to go: Don't want to be late for my ACT test for AOC. You know---thge babe who said that "farting cows" will cause everyone to be a vegan in 10 years. How lucky we are to have such brains in our midst.
oskidunker
Thad Boyle quote " Neither team deserved to win this game"
Go Bears!
Yogi58
oskidunker said:

So refreshing in this modern world of constant lies to hear the unvarnished truth.
6956bear
helltopay1 said:

1) mcKim said that Cal will probably bring in 1-2 players during the spring. That means Davis is leaving this spring and Cal has already targeted 1 our 2 players.
2) The associate HC spoke after the game rather than WJ. what does this mean?/We don't know
3) The last thing Walker said is " I can't be late for my recruiting flight TONIGHT. what does this mean??Again, we don't know.
4) cal played hard during their last 4 games. That is not nothing. Defensively, they played at a much higher level than before. Dispositive?/we don't know.
5) The most important variable is how they players and parents feel about WJ. Only the AD knows.
6) Have to go: Don't want to be late for my ACT test for AOC. You know---thge babe who said that "farting cows" will cause everyone to be a vegan in 10 years. How lucky we are to have such brains in our midst.
Cal is only obligated to cover Davis for 4 years. They can not renew his scholarship with no penalty is my understanding. This staff targeted all sorts of guys last Spring and none actually came. I will believe they have transfers coming when I see it. As for HS recruits they are not currently involved with anyone that would be expected to be a difference maker. They got Vanover late last year and he looks like a keeper, so finding a nice piece is certainly possible.

Jones may very well have had to do a press conference as it is the conference tournament and they likely have rules regarding these things. Walker speaking to the radio guys is no big deal.

Playing hard means nothing. That should be a given. If the players do not have any personal pride then it may not matter who the coach is.

We will know how the players feel about Jones soon enough. I expect some transfers whether Jones stays or is fired.

bearister
Yogi Bear said:

oskidunker said:

So refreshing in this modern world of constant lies to hear the unvarnished truth.

The unvarnished truth would have been: Thad Boyle: "We are most likely the worst 20 win team in the country."
helltopay1
69: do you have inside info????
Big C
6956bear said:

helltopay1 said:

Cal is only obligated to cover Davis for 4 years. They can not renew his scholarship with no penalty is my understanding. This staff targeted all sorts of guys last Spring and none actually came. I will believe they have transfers coming when I see it. As for HS recruits they are not currently involved with anyone that would be expected to be a difference maker. They got Vanover late last year and he looks like a keeper, so finding a nice piece is certainly possible.

Jones may very well have had to do a press conference as it is the conference tournament and they likely have rules regarding these things. Walker speaking to the radio guys is no big deal.

Playing hard means nothing. That should be a given. If the players do not have any personal pride then it may not matter who the coach is.

We will know how the players feel about Jones soon enough. I expect some transfers whether Jones stays or is fired.

Cal is hunting for a grad-transfer big. Lots of them are still unknown (for example, no one knew about Reid Travis 365 days ago). The big question is not whether they will dig one up, but how much of an impact guy he will be.

Whatever happens with the coach, there will be a few roster changes for next season. Hopefully, changes for the better.
Civil Bear
6956bear said:

I'm wondering if Cal's better D of late isn't a simple matter the players learning they were the worst defensive team in D1 basketball and finding some pride.
HoopDreams
Civil Bear said:

6956bear said:

I'm wondering if Cal's better D of late isn't a simple matter the players learning they were the worst defensive team in D1 basketball and finding some pride.
Vanover improving on D had a lot to do with our defensive improvement, plus we didn't play many stretch bigs in that stretch

When vanover can stay close to the hoop, he is as good a rim protector as we've had. That was a huge problem most of the year
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

Civil Bear said:

6956bear said:

Vanover improving on D had a lot to do with our defensive improvement, plus we didn't play many stretch bigs in that stretch

When vanover can stay close to the hoop, he is as good a rim protector as we've had. That was a huge problem most of the year

I have only seen a few games, my info is from here, boxscores and "highlight" videos. Why was he not able to stay close to the rim on defense? My understanding is we were playing mostly zone?
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

6956bear said:

helltopay1 said:

Cal is hunting for a grad-transfer big. Lots of them are still unknown (for example, no one knew about Reid Travis 365 days ago). The big question is not whether they will dig one up, but how much of an impact guy he will be.

Whatever happens with the coach, there will be a few roster changes for next season. Hopefully, changes for the better.
First sentence is absolutely correct,

Had dinner with JK tonight, so if something is happening, it is not happening right now, then Jones (not Cal) is doing it. JK is in conference meetings for the next several days. While I'm no doubt wonderful dinner conversation (sarcasm intended), if he was changing coaches right now, JK would not be dining with me.

One thing is the conference Presidents are in for the meetings, so JK could run the basketball situation by CC. OTOH, I'm sure there are a lot of sports issues to be discussed given the news of the last week plus, so maybe it doesn't come up yet.
helltopay1
which first sentence is correct??
helltopay1
Big c: "roster changes: " Source (s) for your info??
6956bear
helltopay1 said:

which first sentence is correct??
I think he is referring to the obligation to keep Davis on scholarship. The obligation is for 4 years.
6956bear
helltopay1 said:

No inside info. My thoughts on transfers are mine. Recent seasons have seen players from lots of programs look for new homes when coming off tough on court seasons. It seems unlikely given the landscape regarding transfers that Cal is not impacted in some way. Of course it is possible that it does not happen, just IMO unlikely.
SFCityBear
6956bear said:

helltopay1 said:

No inside info. My thoughts on transfers are mine. Recent seasons have seen players from lots of programs look for new homes when coming off tough on court seasons. It seems unlikely given the landscape regarding transfers that Cal is not impacted in some way. Of course it is possible that it does not happen, just IMO unlikely.
My biggest worry in this roster would be Kelly. I like him, but he was benched several games ago, and he may have lost confidence in himself and/or the coach enough to flee. I hope Jones and the coaches can stay with him with support so he remains. If Vanover had been ready to start early in the season, Kelly could have fit in nicely as a backup or both Vanover and Sueing. Sueing has to start, because he is the team's best rebounder.
SFCityBear
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

Civil Bear said:

When vanover can stay close to the hoop, he is as good a rim protector as we've had. That was a huge problem most of the yea
I have only seen a few games, my info is from here, boxscores and "highlight" videos. Why was he not able to stay close to the rim on defense? My understanding is we were playing mostly zone?
A few things... first in the beginning of the year he looked lost and out of shape, plus he couldn't move his feet

second, some matchups (stretch bigs) forced him out to the perimeter

Third sometimes regardless of matchups, a 5 has to contest a shooter on the wing

Also, by 'not close to the basket' I actually meant not father than 7 feet from the basket....meaning he needed to stay VERY close to the basket, otherwise players would just blow by him for a layup

That's still true, but at least now he's can move his feet better

Although his upper body is very thin, I actually think his biggest need is to strengthen his lower bodt
Big C
helltopay1 said:

Big c: "roster changes: " Source (s) for your info??
I don't have insider info, but I've followed the program for decades and I know the way things work.

If Jones stays, we are likely to lose guys. If Jones leaves, we are likely to lose guys (maybe some of the same guys, maybe different.) We're talking 1-4 here.

It has already been noted that Davis will probably not be back. I hate citing specific players in instances like this. I will PM you. Edit: I DID PM you.
prospeCt

helltopay1
"6) Have to go: Don't want to be late for my ACT test for AOC. You know---thge babe who said that "farting cows" will cause everyone to be a vegan in 10 years. How lucky we are to have such brains in our midst."

most vegan, at least in practice, in 10 years will be great, doable, paradigm shift, heard it on BI 1st, recalcitrants given 15 to adapt, fashionably late . . . AOC, Kamala, Carolyn K, rock ON

?w=620

UrsaMajor
prospeCt said:

most vegan, at least in practice, in 10 years will be great, doable, paradigm shift, heard it on BI 1st, recalitrants given 15 to adapt, fashionably late . . . AOC, Kamala, Carolyn K, rock ON

Translate to English, please?
joe amos yaks
Hel-lo-o. Are you on the right board? Cagers or vegans?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
concordtom
helltopay1 said:

6) Have to go: Don't want to be late for my ACT test for AOC. You know---the babe who said that "farting cows" will cause everyone to be a vegan in 10 years. How lucky we are to have such brains in our midst.
You blew an otherwise astute post with your attempt at humor, which reveals an ignorance.

1) belching more than farting
2) only those who accurately consider the impact on the environment (not to mention their own health - do the research!) will go vegan. The impassionate and un-informed? No.
3) actually, you should consider yourself lucky.
4) keeping it basketball, why not ask Jaylen Brown his opinion on the matter.
GoOskie

I'll take an AOC over a debauched, dishonorable deplorable republican any day of the year.
concordtom
6956bear said:

Cal is only obligated to cover Davis for 4 years. They can not renew his scholarship with no penalty is my understanding.

First sentence is correct.
Second sentence is incorrect.
Davis has now been with the program for 4 years, so the Cal scholarship offer is fulfilled (though why that matters at this point after what we did to Winston and McCullough is beyond me!
However, I do not know why you say that Cal would be penalized for offering another year.
If Davis graduates and were to apply to and be accepted by a Cal grad program, the basketball team could elect to retain him on scholarship for a fifth year.

Davis still has another year of eligibility with the NCAA and can become a grad transfer should the Cal basketball team choose to not keep him on. But he has to graduate in order to get that year. If he does not graduate, he will be subject to the transfer student rule and have to sit for a year. Because he redshirted earlier, it would be his 6th year after his transfer year, and he will have used up his fifth year. 5to play 4, unless you get a super rare two injured seasons exception.

I expect Davis will not be back, but I have no inside information at all.
stu
GoOskie said:

I'll take an AOC over a debauched, dishonorable deplorable republican any day of the year.

I happen to think AOC is fun. And if she occasionally spews foolishness at least she doesn't spew hatred. No sane person would blame people like her for the recent tragedy in New Zealand.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any of her opinions on Cal basketball.
6956bear
concordtom said:

6956bear said:

Cal is only obligated to cover Davis for 4 years. They can not renew his scholarship with no penalty is my understanding.

First sentence is correct.
Second sentence is incorrect.
Davis has now been with the program for 4 years, so the Cal scholarship offer is fulfilled (though why that matters at this point after what we did to Winston and McCullough is beyond me!
However, I do not know why you say that Cal would be penalized for offering another year.
If Davis graduates and were to apply to and be accepted by a Cal grad program, the basketball team could elect to retain him on scholarship for a fifth year.

Davis still has another year of eligibility with the NCAA and can become a grad transfer should the Cal basketball team choose to not keep him on. But he has to graduate in order to get that year. If he does not graduate, he will be subject to the transfer student rule and have to sit for a year. Because he redshirted earlier, it would be his 6th year after his transfer year, and he will have used up his fifth year. 5to play 4, unless you get a super rare two injured seasons exception.

I expect Davis will not be back, but I have no inside information at all.

My writing was a bit inelegant. Cal faces no penalty should they elect to not renew. We agree. I was not clear in that sentence.
prospeCt

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.