Sueing has put his name in the transfer portal

9,204 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fyght4Cal
flounder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
per twitter
socaltownie
That seriously sucks.
KoreAmBear
I guess OTB read his reaction well.

FML. Thank you Knowlton. I promise you the players would have loved Decuire.
DavisBear
Bummer. He was a solid player.
stu
Also Charmin Smith (associate head coach) and Kianna Smith (best player with eligibility remaining) are leaving our women's team. How did Berkeley suddenly become so toxic?
stu
DavisBear said:

Bummer. He was a solid player.
And possibly our best student.
Yogi58
bear2034
Do what's best for you I guess. One or two and done.

parentswerebears
Sucks. I'm not super surprised, though. I doubt he's the last one out.
calumnus
Disaster
BC Calfan
So depressing. Dreadful feeling that it's gonna get worse.
calumnus
BC Calfan said:

Unless Fox brings in some great transfer talent, keeping Wyking another year is increasing looking like it would have been better than firing him without a good idea for a replacement.
Goobear
I am sure those transfers are pre Fox related. You are on the bus or off. Better they leave if they are already half off. Best wishes to both players and Cal BB.
Yogi58
calumnus said:

BC Calfan said:

Unless Fox brings in some great transfer talent, keeping Wyking another year is increasing looking like it would have been better than firing him without a good idea for a replacement.
Inasmuch as this wasn't my first choice guy, keeping Wyking was not a good idea. There were already rumors of guys transferring.
stu
I have no facts to support this, but my hunch is the players we have would have been more likely to stay and play for DeCuire. I don't think keeping Wyking was a good option.
Fyght4Cal
I doubt Sueing played another season for Wyking. I say this having supported Coach Jones until the end. There was boiling discontent.
bearister
oskirules said:

Do what's best for you I guess. One or two and done.

If he has aspirations to make a living playing hoop he needs a complete deconstruction and rebuild of his shooting mechanics. CJ Elleby of the Cougars is a future pro, not Sueing.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Yogi58
stu said:

I have no facts to support this, but my hunch is the players we have would have been more likely to stay and play for DeCuire. I don't think keeping Wyking was a good option.
Eh, that's one of those things where nobody really knows. I'm happy to criticize Fox for his actual accomplishments, but I'm not going to put the blame on transfers on him. These days, everybody is transferring when something changes whether it's the head coach, their playing time, etc.
tsubamoto2001

calumnus said:

BC Calfan said:

Firing Wyking was not the bad move. Hiring the dude they did was. These kids can just go on Wikipedia and search his record. This hire did not inspire anyone, except for maybe Jimmy Boy and a few of the shills defending him. The kids ain't dumb. Sueing probably wants to play in the Tournament and that might not happen in these next 2 years.
NYCGOBEARS
Now Sueing's reaction to Fox's motivational speech to the team makes perfect sense.
caltagjohnson
Look for Nevada to take a shot at Sueing. Like they did McNeil.
stu
caltagjohnson said:

Why not Montana?
Yogi58
stu said:

caltagjohnson said:

Why not Montana?
I hear CCSF likes ex-Cal guys.
stu
Yogi Bear said:

Probably not juniors.
Yogi58
stu said:

Yogi Bear said:

Probably not juniors.
Fine, be negative. See if I care.
stu
Maybe we can trade McNeill, Sueing, Fox, and Knowlton for Labagh?
bearister
Fresno State used to be where ex Bears went to die.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Econ141
Fire Knowlton - moron botched the entire thing from the firing to the hiring.

While we are at it, fire the person who hired this guy.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
Yogi58
fat_slice said:

Fire Knowlton - moron botched the entire thing from the firing to the hiring.

While we are at it, fire the person who hired this guy.
You know, you just made me wonder something.

Did Carol Christ use a search firm when we were looking for AD's and was it this same one? I could probably find the answer myself, but I am burned out badly right now and don't feel like doing any work for anyone.
HoopDreams
I was just trying to convince myself that we will be ok with Fox after being in shock and dismay that we didn't hire the extremely obvious best choice in DeCuire

Now this. I may not recover
helltopay1
This just in: Fox is having his lawyer look at the contract to see of there is an out...JK was last seen taking Amtrak back to West Point. He is applying for a position as a security guard. He did not reference his being an AD at Cal on his resume. The Cal Regents are studying a proposal to pay people to come to the games. I could go on, but I want to get back to my reading of Assisted Suicide .
Yogi58
HoopDreams said:

I was just trying to convince myself that we will be ok with Fox after being in shock and dismay that we didn't hire the extremely obvious best choice in DeCuire

Now this. I may not recover
You spend the whole year lamenting at how negative everybody was about the team and nobody wanted to talk about basketball, we fire the coach, and now that we've hired someone better NOW is the time you've decided that you've suffered too much?

GTFOOH with that weak sauce.

P.S. DeCuire was not the best choice available, let alone the extremely obvious best choice. I however, would have preferred him over Fox.
Bear19
Hardly "disasterous." The players who came to Cal because of the coach when they came, instead of choosing Cal because of the academics, overall experience etc. may well decide the new coach isn't for them. That's to be expected. It's going to take a roster makeover either way to get this mess fixed. We hate to place blame on the players for losing. But they are the folks on the floor playing the games. That's just reality.
BearSD
Yogi Bear said:

You know, you just made me wonder something.

Did Carol Christ use a search firm when we were looking for AD's and was it this same one? I could probably find the answer myself, but I am burned out badly right now and don't feel like doing any work for anyone.
Cal used the same search firm last year to conduct a review of the athletic department.

https://calbears.com/news/2018/3/29/athletics-news-chancellor-outlines-plan-for-cal-athletics.aspx
Quote:

The chancellor's message was released in conjunction with a new report on Cal Athletics that includes a set of recommendations prepared by independent consultants with Collegiate Sports Associates (CSA), a leader in the field. While the CSA review determined that Cal Athletics' expenses are largely in line with UC Berkeley's peer institutions, it uncovered substantial untapped potential for revenue generation and philanthropy, in addition to proposing several options for cost savings.
And here is one of the things that they recommended in that report:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/collegesports/article/3-months-in-new-Cal-AD-Jim-Knowlton-working-on-13169871.php
Quote:

In order to reach Prong 1 of Title IX, College Sports Associates, which completed an exhaustive review in March, suggested the school will have to drop between 100 and 120 men's roster spots. That total could be couched by adding more women's opportunities, putting programs on probation while funding is raised or moving sports from varsity to club status.

Knowlton also hired CSA to conduct an athletic department review when he was the Air Force AD: https://gazette.com/military/air-force-academy-vows-new-steps-to-stop-hazing-in/article_4ee27a46-1833-11e9-a4db-67d647932c3d.html

calumnus
Fyght4Cal said:

I doubt Sueing played another season for Wyking. I say this having supported Coach Jones until the end. There was boiling discontent.

He came to play for Wyking, did not put his name in after the season or until now, but entered the transfer portal immediately after meeting Fox....but hey, only he knows for sure.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.