Sueing has put his name in the transfer portal

9,221 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fyght4Cal
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
stu said:

Also Charmin Smith (associate head coach) and Kianna Smith (best player with eligibility remaining) are leaving our women's team. How did Berkeley suddenly become so toxic?

Maybe there's an earthquake coming and they are like the dogs that sense it beforehand and are getting out.
TonyTiger
I hate to admit it but watch his body language as all Fox talks about is holding them accountable. I thought not the time and his, Sueings body language reflected that and now this. Horrific opening speech by the coach to the players. He seemed to be saying that they were lazy under Wyking and he was not going to tolerate their laziness. as he said he would hold them to a high standard (that obviously wyking did not hold them to) then this news.
He should of been trying to get the players to focus on accepting him and liking him and instead he was criticizing them. I remember that how I felt and then the camera for some reason cuts to him. I was like hes out.
Anyway, l was starting to really like this move until that speech. Oh well, were a football school anyway.

Just a thought maybe we can switch coaches and make Trent Johnson head coach and fox the assistant. I'm really tired of this Fox regime.
calbearinamaze
So, what do you think of Nick Hamilton's tweet?

https://twitter.com/justicesueing?lang=en

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
TheSouseFamily
Full list of players in the portal below. Didn't see it mentioned here but as expected, Roman Davis is in there as well.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/TransferPortal/
wifeisafurd
stu said:

Also Charmin Smith (associate head coach) and Kianna Smith (best player with eligibility remaining) are leaving our women's team. How did Berkeley suddenly become so toxic?

Wait, guys over on the women's board think she got a huge promotion to become an assistant (not associate head coach) in the WNBA. You know, the league that can't afford to pay coaches anywhere near what good college coaches make. Expect the downward spiral that is Cal WBB to continue, and Smith was smart enough to seeing it coming given who graduates (like the best player Cal WBB may have ever had).

Thank the stars for Dave Durden and Terry McKeever.
bluesaxe
DavisBear said:

Bummer. He was a solid player.
Solid, sure. Adequate offensively, not a good defensive player at all. I was hoping he would be able to retain players and recruits, just because some continuity would make for a nice change and depth has been a problem. I don't like losing guys with experience, but he's not at the top of my list of players we need to keep.
BearlyCareAnymore
bluesaxe said:

DavisBear said:

Solid, sure. Adequate offensively, not a good defensive player at all. I was hoping he would be able to retain players and recruits, just because some continuity would make for a nice change and depth has been a problem. I don't like losing guys with experience, but he's not at the top of my list of players we need to keep.
I have to disagree with what I read as an implication that this is not a pretty big hit.

2 years ago, all the events that occurred around the time Cuonzo left basically left us with a decimated roster. Honestly, I gave a Jones a lot more leeway than normal because I viewed stabilizing the roster as a crucial aspect to moving forward. If he had done somewhat better and it wasn't clear that guys were leaving, I would have been okay with a subpar season just to have one more year without departures. That wasn't to be.

Whether Sueing is our top player is up for debate. Whether we can afford to lose him I think is not. I like some of our guys, but we don't have enough. Losing our leading scorer (and also losing our third leading scorer) is a pretty big blow. In addition, if the losses lead to another dismal season, who knows what that will do to our ability to keep guys from transferring next year. I know it can't be good.

I could blame this on Fox, or on the hiring of Fox, but this is why we needed to get the hire 2 years ago right. It doesn't do any good to start building the roster up again if they leave out of frustration.
helltopay1
Dear Bearupindc: hamilton was an honors student at Cal. Yet---read his tweet and tell me what he said: His sentence (s) were incomprehensible . grade inflation indeed!!!
TonyTiger
Hell to pay. It was a tweet. people do it form a phone while driving. You cant make that type of judgement from a tweet.
bluesaxe
OaktownBear said:

bluesaxe said:

DavisBear said:

I have to disagree with what I read as an implication that this is not a pretty big hit.

2 years ago, all the events that occurred around the time Cuonzo left basically left us with a decimated roster. Honestly, I gave a Jones a lot more leeway than normal because I viewed stabilizing the roster as a crucial aspect to moving forward. If he had done somewhat better and it wasn't clear that guys were leaving, I would have been okay with a subpar season just to have one more year without departures. That wasn't to be.

Whether Sueing is our top player is up for debate. Whether we can afford to lose him I think is not. I like some of our guys, but we don't have enough. Losing our leading scorer (and also losing our third leading scorer) is a pretty big blow. In addition, if the losses lead to another dismal season, who knows what that will do to our ability to keep guys from transferring next year. I know it can't be good.

I could blame this on Fox, or on the hiring of Fox, but this is why we needed to get the hire 2 years ago right. It doesn't do any good to start building the roster up again if they leave out of frustration.
I don't disagree overall, though I did laugh at suggestions that he might be an NBA player. He'd rank maybe fourth on my list of who we needed to keep. It doesn't make me happy that he's leaving, but it's more for the roster reasons you mention than any feeling that he's so good. My ambivalence probably stems from the fact that too often I did not like his attitude on the court. If I had more of an idea about who's going to do the recruiting for the new staff and some faith in that prospect I might not be bothered at all.

OTOH I'd have found it frustrating to play for guys who couldn't make me better too. Hell, I couldn't even stand watching the team this year and it had to be worse from the inside.
bluesaxe
BEARUPINDC said:

So, what do you think of Nick Hamilton's tweet?

https://twitter.com/justicesueing?lang=en

Cryptic at best.
GMP
helltopay1 said:

Dear Bearupindc: hamilton was an honors student at Cal. Yet---read his tweet and tell me what he said: His sentence (s) were incomprehensible . grade inflation indeed!!!
His writing was perfectly fine, unlike yours.
oskidunker
I have no idea what Hamilton is trying to say. Maybe someone can translate
Go Bears!
KenBurnski
isn't his tweet basically saying when one door closes another opens and good luck? I don't take it as hostile or weird?
parentswerebears
oskidunker said:

I think it's something to the effect of "Keep your head up, better opportunities await and you're going to do fine." But I'm not 100% sure of that.
BearlyCareAnymore
oskidunker said:

The more you live the more blessing you get. In other words, more blessings are to come. His next season where he gets to rebound from this season will come sooner than he thinks.
helltopay1
Dear GMP: Your comma was inappropriate. it was also personally hostile. I asked the question in good faith. Your response was not made in good faith. His tweet is a perfect illustration of the fact that elementary grammar is no longer taught at any level. The purpose of grammar is clarity. Your post illustrates the fact that some people cannot separate their negative personal feelings from thoughtful responses to questions posed in good faith. Go to your room. You will not be served dinner tonight. if you are Catholic, go to confession. If not, write on the blackboard 100 times, " I will not allow my personal feelings to color my posts when responding to posts made in good faith. " Have a great day.
BearlyCareAnymore
GMP said:

helltopay1 said:

GMP - do you sometimes feel like our generation is somehow the translators between the one prior and the one's after. I didn't have any problem understanding that tweet and I'm not exactly the hippest cat in town.
helltopay1
Dear Oaktown: Your analysis is usually found in fortune cookies. In real life, there is no correlation between longer life and corresponding blessings. you do, however, get points for being an astute observer of ambiguous tweets.
BearlyCareAnymore
helltopay1 said:

Dear GMP: Your comma was inappropriate. it was also personally hostile. I asked the question in good faith. Your response was not made in good faith. His tweet is a perfect illustration of the fact that elementary grammar is no longer taught at any level. The purpose of grammar is clarity. Your post illustrates the fact that some people cannot separate their negative personal feelings from thoughtful responses to questions posed in good faith. Go to your room. You will not be served dinner tonight. if you are Catholic, go to confession. If not, write on the blackboard 100 times, " I will not allow my personal feelings to color my posts when responding to posts made in good faith. " Have a great day.
I'm sorry but you essentially called an extremely good student uneducated on your way to calling a whole generation uneducated. That seemed pretty hostile. I think you deserved a shot in return.

As a parent of teenagers who are very good students, I can confirm for you that elementary grammar is still taught as much as it ever has been. Culturally the younger generations have grown up with many more forms of communication. Some of them are much less formal. Some of them (like texting and tweeting) lead to prizing brevity over formal grammar. I understood Hamilton's tweet just fine and more importantly, I'm sure Sueing did. It wasn't really meant for you. Knowing his academic record, I guarantee you that Hamilton can write what you would call a coherent sentence. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that he would have less trouble communicating in a formal English setting than you would have communicating in what is considered a normal fashion for twitter. It has nothing to do with intelligence. it has to do with different forms of communication.

Rather than making you seem more educated, your post makes you seem more out of touch and longing for a world that is gone and isn't coming back.
helltopay1
Dear Oaktown: You may or may not be the cats' pajamas, but you are easily one of the most verbose. SFCB is your closest rival. SFCB has a habit of pointing out the 300 things right about Cal. Nothing wrong about that. You have a habit of pointing out the 300 things wrong about Cal. Nothing wrong about that either. The more info we have, the better able we are to make informed decisions. Right, counselor??
KenBurnski
BearlyCareAnymore
helltopay1 said:

Dear Oaktown: Your analysis is usually found in fortune cookies. In real life, there is no correlation between longer life and corresponding blessings. you do, however, get points for being an astute observer of ambiguous tweets.
Well, that wasn't my analysis. That was Hamilton's. I agree with you regarding the correlation between long life and blessings. However, I think Hamilton was just trying to say "keep your head up, Big Guy"
BearlyCareAnymore
helltopay1 said:

Dear Oaktown: You may or may not be the cats' pajamas, but you are easily one of the most verbose. SFCB is your closest rival. SFCB has a habit of pointing out the 300 things right about Cal. Nothing wrong about that. You have a habit of pointing out the 300 things wrong about Cal. Nothing wrong about that either. The more info we have, the better able we are to make informed decisions. Right, counselor??
SFCB has me beat. Back when Cyberbears used to give out awards, I always lost out to 8285 for most verbose (deservedly so - he just doesn't post as much any more). Always a bridesmaid...
Big C
OaktownBear said:

GMP said:

helltopay1 said:

GMP - do you sometimes feel like our generation is somehow the translators between the one prior and the one's after. I didn't have any problem understanding that tweet and I'm not exactly the hippest cat in town.

I'm a "late boomer" and I understood it. Guess what, some people: There are different levels of language -- both spoken and written -- that are used for different occasions.
tsubamoto2001
If he's truly gone, best of luck to Sueing. When we landed him I saw him being an impact player eventually. The poor quality of this team forced him to play a bigger role early, which benefited him. I saw him having a Joe Shipp type career here, eventually being an all-conference player as a junior and senior.
GMP
helltopay1 said:

I strongly disagree that your question was "in good faith" or that your post was not hostile. Additionally, my comment was not hostile - it was pointing out that you were being very hypocritical. Your response had some very poor grammar, among the mistakes:

• "honors student" (I can see how this one might be debatable, but "honors student" sounds awkward - you graduate with "honors" but you are an "honor student" not an "honors student);
  • You failed to capitalize the H on Hamilton;
  • The use of a double dash when you should have used a comma under traditional grammar;
  • Unnecessary space after "sentence" but before "(s)";
  • Your use of "sentence(s)" and then subsequent failure to use "was/were" is also awkward;
  • Your extra space before the period after "incomprehensible";
  • Your failure to capitalize the "g" on "grade", the first word of the sentence;
  • Your failure to use a comma after "inflation"

As you can see, I counted upwards of eight (!) grammar mistakes in 2-3 sentences. That is poor grammar, especially in a post decrying someone else's grammar.

Additionally, I found your post extremely rude and insulting.

HOWEVER, I'm going to apologize anyways because I flat out misread your post and thought you were referring to Sueing's farewell note, not to Hamilton's tweet, which I hadn't and haven't seen. Sueing's note was written well. Your post was not. Hence, my reply. Whether Hamilton's was written well or not, your post was still hypocritical.

calbearinamaze
helltopay1 said:

HTP,

I can tell you what he said:"More life more blessings!!! Comeback season soon!"'
I was asking for help as to what he meant.

It is a tweet which can be difficult to decipher in the best of cases. The writting on the left
is Sueing's "Thank you, CAL. I'm exploring etc... " If I were pushed, I would say Nick is
saying something like, "Tomorrow's a bright new day and a higher power has your back on
your decision."

I don't know for sure what he meant. I don't say that in a disparaging way at all.
Hamilton was an honor student. I believe Sueing was at least thinking about pre-med.
They, of course, know much more than you or I do about what's been going on in their lives.

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
bearister
OaktownBear said:

...Back when Cyberbears used to give out awards, I always lost out to 8285 for most verbose (deservedly so - he just doesn't post as much any more). Always a bridesmaid...

Didn't blueblood get the Hairiest Chest and Torso Award....oh, I apologize, that was on that other site.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bluesaxe
bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

...Back when Cyberbears used to give out awards, I always lost out to 8285 for most verbose (deservedly so - he just doesn't post as much any more). Always a bridesmaid...

Didn't blueblood get the Hairiest Chest and Torso Award....oh, I apologize, that was on that other site.

That was definitely the .com site's award.
Fyght4Cal
calumnus said:

Fyght4Cal said:

I doubt Sueing played another season for Wyking. I say this having supported Coach Jones until the end. There was boiling discontent.

He came to play for Wyking, did not put his name in after the season or until now, but entered the transfer portal immediately after meeting Fox....but hey, only he knows for sure.
When you stay for the meeting after the meeting, you hear things. One thing I am sure I heard was that Sueing was probably gone.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.