Unsigned players

2,590 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCityBear
bearchamp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to the BearInsider list of "offers", a ton of players are still unsigned. Is the list accurate? Is Cal in the running for these unsigned?
Big C
Are you looking at 2019, or 2020? Not too many good prep players are still uncommitted, but there will still be transfers (both "regular" and "grad") declaring over the next couple of months or more.
bearmanpg
The spring signing period hasn't started yet so there are many verbally committed players who are unsigned...I believe the signing period starts in a week or two, at that time many of these "unsigned" players will sign LOI's...
helltopay1
I have never approved of offering scholarships to players just to fill out a roster. I would rather play a walk-on than offer a scholarship to a player who is simply not a D1 player. Please see the hundreds of players who fall into that category. Every scholarship given to a marginal or less than marginal player is one scholarship means you have one scholarship less to give a deserving player. Furthermore, scholarships these days are for four years rather than one year. Don't do it!!!
stu
helltopay1 said:

I have never approved of offering scholarships to players just to fill out a roster.
Agreed. I don't think we did well signing Chauca, Winston, or McCollough. Barring further defections our roster will be reasonably balanced as is.
calumnus
helltopay1 said:

I have never approved of offering scholarships to players just to fill out a roster. I would rather play a walk-on than offer a scholarship to a player who is simply not a D1 player. Please see the hundreds of players who fall into that category. Every scholarship given to a marginal or less than marginal player is one scholarship means you have one scholarship less to give a deserving player. Furthermore, scholarships these days are for four years rather than one year. Don't do it!!!

Agreed. This was a problem for Monty, Martin and Jones. Transfers, JC players, grad transfers or rewarding a walk-on with a one year scholarship are good options.
Big C
Ever notice how we keep having to reinvent the wheel? Maybe in between coaches one time, somebody could sneak into the vacant office and etch into his desk something like, "Don't give scholarships to marginal players out of desperation!"
SFCityBear
helltopay1 said:

Agree 100%. There have to be players out there, unrecruited players who could play better than Chauca, Winston, McCullogh, or Davis. What about JC transfers? There have to be players on JC teams who don't get recruited, and yet might be good enough to walk on at Cal. It is easier to get them admitted than a freshman recruit. And where are the two sport athletes, like Joe Kapp, Tony Gonzales, Bob Albo, etc? Finally, we could open up Fall tryouts for the studentbody, like it was years ago, and it worked out pretty well, as many of those guys made the Cal Frosh, and went on to be practice players on the varsity. Comb the intramural league for bodies. Are grad students eligible, if they never played as an undergrads? The 4-year scholarship rule really hinders Universities. Any player should have to tryout and make the team every year. End of rant.

SFCityBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.