Anwar McQueen

2,419 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by hoop97
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I heard a radio interview this week with Anwar McQueen, a former Cal player. He's had a coaching career, and a career in a sports software company. He got a Masters from USF, that inspired him to investigate ways to open opportunities for college athletes who might not be good enough to make the NBA, but will be seeking employment other than coaching basketball after graduation.

Maybe it has been posted before, but a couple of years ago Anwar co-founded a non-profit called TEAM, inc (Technology Exposure with Access to Mentoring) to introduce technology jobs to young college athletes, jobs which use technology in sports. So far 600 athletes have gone through his program.

https://www.usfca.edu/arts-sciences/profiles/anwar-mcqueen
SFCityBear
ncbears
Wasn't there a "Hoop Dreams" movie being made/was made about McQueen? Or am I misremembering and it was about a different Cal player?
southseasbear
ncbears said:

Wasn't there a "Hoop Dreams" movie being made/was made about McQueen? Or am I misremembering and it was about a different Cal player?
Yes. Apparently the project was discontinued.
geebear
I seem to remember it as Donte Smith...
hoop97
Correct - the documentary was on Anwar, but never went to production. But Donte also from D.C.

Anwar's program truly is a great innovation and a wonderful community service. A number of tech companies have given grants. There's also a large outreach to high school kids looking to better themselves.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.