Fox radio interview

3,054 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
smokeyrover
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Interview starts at 13 min mark of hour 3 segment.

*Points to Virginia and Michigan as program models (as did Knowlton during the Q&A, but he likely just got that from Fox). Says VA got there via some international recruiting and that "we are going to have to do something similar at Cal."

*Rebuild starts in house. Put arms around current roster and build trust.

*Of those 1200 texts he received after getting the job, says a number wanted a job or had a player for him to consider.

*"We're going to build a practice facility and there is a commitment to doing that. The game facility is legit....there are a few other things on the periphery but I think they're committed to doing that."

*Talks about how Cal (like Michigan and Virginia) can do it the right way because you can recruit the type of player who is not as susceptible to payouts and is thinking more long term about value of an education. Thinks NCAA is unfairly criticized, can't leave it all to them. Individual schools and athletic directors need to take responsibility.
socaliganbear
What does "the game facility is legit" mean?
Intuit
All in all he represented the university very well. It is good PR that he is making himself available to the media. The more the better.
Harborview
Gkhoury2325
Good interview with coach Fox. He Seems committed. He seems to be sold that Cal will get the practice facility they need to compete. Knows he has a delicate situation with current players. Not a dynamic speaker, but I hope he can relate to today's kids. He seems to have old school values. Hope this becomes a great hire. There is potential for it.
tsubamoto2001
I obviously haven't been a fan of his hiring, but he's on the same page as me when it comes to which programs to emulate. If Virginia and Michigan can be Final 4 level programs, why can't Cal?
tsubamoto2001
socaliganbear said:

There's nothing really wrong with Haas as a playing facility. When it's full, it's a cool place to play. As far as the fan experience, there can be improvements obviously.
Intuit
Obviously Filling it up - would improve the experience for fans and players alike.
Harborview
socaliganbear
tsubamoto2001 said:

socaliganbear said:

There's nothing really wrong with Haas as a playing facility. When it's full, it's a cool place to play. As far as the fan experience, there can be improvements obviously.
It could really use a facelift. Not a rebuild, just a cosmetic reno.
stu
I think Haas is fine. If Fox is as old school as he appears maybe he could get the "gameday experience" toned down to tolerable levels.
Jackieridgle
socaliganbear said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

socaliganbear said:

It could really use a facelift. Not a rebuild, just a cosmetic reno.
Haas doesn't need a facelift
OneTopOneChickenApple
stu said:

I think Haas is fine. If Fox is as old school as he appears maybe he could get the "gameday experience" toned down to tolerable levels.
Agreed, especially with the new video screens and sound system. There's only so many bells and whistles that you need. It's the programming within the building that needs help.
OneTopOneChickenApple
tsubamoto2001 said:

I obviously haven't been a fan of his hiring, but he's on the same page as me when it comes to which programs to emulate. If Virginia and Michigan can be Final 4 level programs, why can't Cal?
And I would say Wisconsin more than Michigan.
annarborbear
Virginia, Wisconsin and Michigan all have coaches off of old-school coaching trees who play tough defense and use a lot of four-year players. Remains to be seen how Fox will do, but his selection obviously reflects that kind of thinking as a model.
Fyght4Cal
socaliganbear said:

He means it's the real deal college basketball venue. He remarked that the "fans sit on top of you." It's legitimately great and he wants to fill it up.
HoopDreams
I get the virginia comparison, but not michigan (agree wisconsin is the better comparison)

michigan is like ucla. a traditional sports powerhouse with a ton of support for their athletic program
Larno
Haas is a great college basketball arena. Harmon Gym had a great atmosphere, too, especially when full and rocking. In contrast, I can't think of many, or any, worse than Maples. An oversized high school gym with no atmosphere.
HoopDreams
Haas is a good basketball arena

I like the front of Haas. When you arrive there it looks like something special with character

Entering the front door however is disappointing. You walk to a blank glass wall (ever since they remodeled it, which I still don't understand. They took out a store and replaced it with a soul-less empty room. When they did this they also cut the student section into 3 pieces killing the ability of those seats to be the center of the student energy. Those extra premium seats was just not worth doing that, and I don't get whey they had to have two doorways to that small room. They should have least kept the remaining student section one continuous row of benches. Also don't love that second row of courtside seats as they had to take a row out of the student benches there. Basically with these changes they killed the heart of the student energy.

Walking around the hallways, I like the pictures of the student athletes, and although the hanging retired numbers are done very well, it's just not the place to put them (they should be INSIDE the arena)

There is really no focus nor character in the hallways. They could do some updates by putting something there showing the history such as photos of our best players, trophies, etc. They used to have that before but I think they took it out to make space for the empty reception area. Still can't they put a new one somewhere else? Can't they put some life-size renderings of Cal stars. How cool would it be to have a life size rendering of Kidd, Shareef, Brown, etc? That doesn't cost a lot.

Then there is no store? Really? Sometimes they put a little store off to the right in an empty area, but I didn't even know it was there till the last game. And do they sell any shirt that says Cal Basketball? Shouldn't UA have these for basketball season? I had to buy a UA Cal basketball shirt online.

Love the score board and appreciate the upgraded sound. Both provide a lot of atmosphere and energy. Love the big Cal script looking down on the court. I think the new marketing banner lights are fine. Adds some energy and pays some bills without looking like a big commercial.

I like the big Cal script at center court (better than the Bear) and overall the court is nice.

As stated above, the biggest problem inside the arena is the lack of the retired jerseys, the national championship and NCAA tournament banners. I recognize the new score board changed the space, making it tougher for the jerseys to hang, but I gotta believe there is a solution.

Overall, there are some nice things about the arena, but there are some things that I don't think would take a big check to improve it and give it more character/atmosphere/energy

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.