Goodman re: possible assistant Chris Harriman

10,645 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cal8285
smokeyrover
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Associate Head Coach at UNM. He is a former pg from Australia. Previous stops at Nebraska under Tim Miles and Saint Louis under Rick Majerus.
TheSouseFamily
Sounds solid. Even though Fox didn't do much international recruiting at Georgia,, this might suggest a shift in emphasis which I think makes a lot of sense for a school like Cal. I like the sound of this from multiple angles. Plus, he sounds like a quality guy.

Here's a profile on Harriman from a New Mexico paper:

https://www.abqjournal.com/1135349/veteran-harriman-has-been-a-good-fit-on-weirs-coaching-staff.html

And his UNM bio:

https://golobos.com/coaches.aspx?rc=534
parentswerebears
This seems to be a good idea if he does indeed have a lot of overseas ties. Now Fox needs to get Grace on board too so we can get the 4 and 5 stars.
TheSouseFamily
parentswerebears said:

This seems to be a good idea if he does indeed have a lot of overseas ties. Now Fox needs to get Grace on board too so we can get the 4 and 5 stars.

Looks like he's had some success recruiting down under. From his UNM bio:

"Known as a strong recruiter, Harriman has landed numerous key international recruits from Australia and New Zealand in Rob Loe, Christian Salecich and Cody Ellis."
parentswerebears
TheSouseFamily said:

parentswerebears said:

Looks like he's had some success recruiting down under. From his UNM bio:

"Known as a strong recruiter, Harriman has landed numerous key international recruits from Australia and New Zealand in Rob Loe, Christian Salecich and Cody Ellis."
Who are they? I know, I'll look them up, but they aren't exactly a Ben Simmons...

Edit: I looked them up.

Solid contributors, but not REALLY flashy guys. Each averaged 5-10 points a game in college. Two of them at St Louis and one at SIUE...

I hope that he can pull bigger fish than that from down under.
KenBurnski
Rob Lowe is a pretty cool recruit tho. We should target the entire Brat Pack
TheSouseFamily
According to 247, he was also the lead recruiter on a couple of Aussies/New Zealanders during his time at Nebraska. One of those, Tai Webster, from NZ became Nebraska's leading scorer and assists guy in 2016-17. The other, Jack McVeigh, was their 4th leading scorer. So it seems like he can at least open doors there and Berkeley is certainly a better known brand name than Nebraska.
parentswerebears
TheSouseFamily said:

According to 247, he was also the lead recruiter on a couple of Aussies during his time at Nebraska. One of those, Tai Webster, became Nebraska's leading scorer in 2016-17. The other, Jack McVeigh, was their 4th leading scorer. So it seems like he can at least open doors there and Berkeley is certainly a better known brand name than Nebraska.
Those are names I can be on board with. Bring Harriman on!
bearister
Maybe he can poach from Randy's G'day pipeline.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
socaltownie
Agreed. Solid.

The kinds of kids we should be shooting for from overseas. Solid offers. Critical to have "boots on the ground". I wonder if even on Martin/Jones radar screen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davide_Moretti
59bear
smokeyrover said:

Associate Head Coach at UNM. He is a former pg from Australia. Previous stops at Nebraska under Tim Miles and Saint Louis under Rick Majerus.
I'm hopeful. Aussies are nice and the language barrier is lower but it's a pretty small pool. Europe and Africa would be my preferred target areas.
89Bear
A former point guard. I like that. Our guys could use some pointers about distributing the ball effectively...
BEAR2dBONE
Plan sounds OK but staff is getting too WHITE. More color needed.
Big C
BEAR2dBONE said:

Depends... is Trent Johnson getting too old to relate to young people?

Cue somebody replying that "we want the best coaches, regardless of color" in...
three...
two...
one...
Big C
59bear said:

smokeyrover said:

I'm hopeful. Aussies are nice and the language barrier is lower but it's a pretty small pool. Europe and Africa would be my preferred target areas.
Yeah, I was kinda hoping to see on his bio, "also fluent in Serbo-Croation".
bearister
BEAR2dBONE said:

....was staff too Black under Cuonzo and Wyking...I mean, WdaF, man?
stu
Whatever, as long as they bleed blue and gold.
Big C
bearister said:

Big C said:

BEAR2dBONE said:

The correct ratio (one HC and 3 ACs, total) is...

two black guys and two white guys... or...

two black guys, one white guy and one "other"

Another POSSIBILITY is three black guys and one white guy, as long as one of the black guys isn't "too black" (like if we hired Obama as an Asst Coach... hey, there's an idea!).

I'm pretty sure this is etched in stone somewhere.

Okay, I'm kidding! Just joking around! I hope I'm not in trouble!
bearister
stu said:

Whatever, as long as they bleed blue and gold.

I never really even thought about that issue with the prior regimes until I saw that comment, which really pi$$ed me off.

It appears to me we have 3 very experienced basketball coaches on our bench now as opposed to zero the last two seasons.
tequila4kapp
BEAR2dBONE said:

I wonder how people would have reacted if someone said the staff was too black under Jones and we needed more white. Just hire the best people possible, regardless of skin color.
bear2034
BEAR2dBONE said:

Does this work the other way around with players?
Fyght4Cal
Fox hired Johnson first. Important because when replacing a black head coach, demonstrating a desire to put their kids in the care of high quality African Americans is important to black parents. Trent Johnson is a respected coach, a Bay Area guy, and an elder statesman who could help Fox maintain the current team and recruiting class. Johnson has shown high ability to command respect on the court and in living rooms.
calbear80
BEAR2dBONE said:

Trent Johnson
wifeisafurd
TheSouseFamily said:

Sounds solid. Even though Fox didn't do much international recruiting at Georgia,, this might suggest a shift in emphasis which I think makes a lot of sense for a school like Cal. I like the sound of this from multiple angles. Plus, he sounds like a quality guy.

Here's a profile on Harriman from a New Mexico paper:

https://www.abqjournal.com/1135349/veteran-harriman-has-been-a-good-fit-on-weirs-coaching-staff.html

And his UNM bio:

https://golobos.com/coaches.aspx?rc=534
well it sure made sense for the two finalists in the tourney that had 9 players collectively from outside the US. Smart move by Fox. Because of the recruiting angle would like to see the fourth be David Grace (assume he is not going back to UCLA, but have not checked the latest news).

Fox and Johnson have the teaching and x and o parts covered.
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

bearister said:

Big C said:

BEAR2dBONE said:

Another POSSIBILITY is three black guys and one white guy, as long as one of the black guys isn't "too black" (like if we hired Obama as an Asst Coach... hey, there's an idea!).

Muppet just called me and asked if a woman can be an other?
socaliganbear
Has his guy been a part of successful teams?
OdontoBear66
BEAR2dBONE said:

Oh yes, let's make sure that we balance. C'mon, Cal has no problems with diversity. We have been pretty color blind in the more recent past, but then if the times have changed that much make it an issue. Let's get some damn coaches that can recruit and win, whatever the color.
ducky23
59bear said:

smokeyrover said:

Exactly.

I like the idea that cal needs to think differently if it's going to compete in the recruiting wars. Moneyball is all about doing more with less by identifying and then exploiting a market inefficiency.

I would argue that's exactly how Bennett was able to do so much with Smc. By tapping into a previously untapped market. But today, that market has already been exploited. And that market is already fairly small to begin with.

If you want to tap into the next big thing, find someone who can recruit Africa. Maybe Kevin bacon is available.

socaltownie
ducky23 said:

59bear said:

smokeyrover said:

Exactly.

I like the idea that cal needs to think differently if it's going to compete in the recruiting wars. Moneyball is all about doing more with less by identifying and then exploiting a market inefficiency.

I would argue that's exactly how Bennett was able to do so much with Smc. By tapping into a previously untapped market. But today, that market has already been exploited. And that market is already fairly small to begin with.

If you want to tap into the next big thing, find someone who can recruit Africa. Maybe Kevin bacon is available.

No. Next big thing will be China. Count on it. And Bears are VERY well positioned if they don't blow it. But you, know, Cal is Cal.
calumnus
ducky23 said:

59bear said:

smokeyrover said:

Exactly.

Agreed, It is not worth an assistant coaching spot just to recruit the Australia market. They speak English, the youth leagues' stats are online, you don't need contacts. Cal sells itself if you make the in-home visit.
HoopDreams
so we are trading texas for australia?

one is a few more frequent flyer miles than the other
ducky23
socaltownie said:

ducky23 said:

59bear said:

smokeyrover said:

Exactly.

No. Next big thing will be China. Count on it. And Bears are VERY well positioned if they don't blow it. But you, know, Cal is Cal.

As someone of Chinese heritage, I would be ecstatic to see a bunch of tall, athletic Chinese guys running around in a cal uniform. With that said, I find It very hard to imagine that happening within the next 10 years or so.

But you are right, if China was ever able to become a recruiting hotbed, cal would be extremely well positioned. Whenever I go over there, they only know 3 American schools, cal, furd and Harvard.
Yogi58
wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

Muppet just called me and asked if a woman can be an other?
GoCalBears
ducky23 said:

59bear said:

smokeyrover said:

Exactly.

since you brought it up, what recent college star players are from Africa? i thought soccer is more popular there and basketball was an afterthought if one is tall and not an elite soccer player or runner.

cal had bak bak

euro ball or fiba is where to mine. a cal team full of the likes of Moretti and Hachimura could deep in march.
boredom
Fyght4Cal said:

Fox hired Johnson first. Important because when replacing a black head coach, demonstrating a desire to put their kids in the care of high quality African Americans is important to black parents. Trent Johnson is a respected coach, a Bay Area guy, and an elder statesman who could help Fox maintain the current team and recruiting class. Johnson has shown high ability to command respect on the court and in living rooms.

I don't know what impact he has on anyone's parents but Johnson has a long track record of being a bad recruiter. He's had 1 highly rated recruiting class which was due to the Lopez twins wanting to go to furd regardless of coach. I'm not sure how to measure ability to command respect in living rooms but if he has it he's not turning it into high level recruiting classes.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.