Zagoria re: new assistant Andrew Francis

3,745 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
smokeyrover
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Brooklyn native. Followed Fran McCaffery from Siena to Iowa. Has been a Hawkeye for 9 seasons. Seems to have a rep as a recruiter in Midwest and East Coast.
KoreAmBear
smokeyrover said:

Brooklyn native. Followed Fran McCaffery from Siena to Iowa. Has been a Hawkeye for 9 seasons. Seems to have a rep as a recruiter in Midwest and East Coast.
Who knows much about him? Please tell me he is an ace recruiter.
EricBear
Staff
"Tireless recruiter."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.hawkcentral.com/amp/3492096002
BearGoggles
If that article is to be believed, this appears to be a promising hire.
smokeyrover
Don't know about recruiting, but fwiw Iowa has had solid to excellent KenPom offensive numbers during his time there. Multiple top-50 offenses.
bluehenbear
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/basketball-men/2019/04/16/assistant-coach-andrew-francis-leaving-iowa-basketball-program-fran-mccaffery/3492096002/

https://instagr.am/p/BwVusoWh1Ht
TheSouseFamily
Interesting to read that the Iowa staff has remained totally in tact for the last decade. Seems to be a high character guy who cares about players on and off the floor which certainly seems to fit with Fox's MO. Wondering if he gets the Associate HC title.

A few things gleaned from reading some comments by Iowans about the departure:

-As the youngest guy on the staff, he probably felt stagnant and wanted to keep climbing the ladder in the profession and didn't see that path at Iowa.
- He was their lead recruiter but it's also noted that Iowa's recruiting never was all that great. That said, they are/were apparently in the mix for a 5-star this cycle.

The last 7 years of Iowa recruiting (per 247 rankings). Ironically, this looks a lot like Georgia's computer rankings under Fox with most years ranked in the 50-100 range.

2018: 66th
2017: 57th
2016: 39th
2015: 79th
2014: 77th
2013: 138th
2012: 31st
KoreAmBear
This 6'6" PG is in the transfer portal from Iowa. Could Francis bring him over?

https://247sports.com/Player/Maishe-Dailey-86753/

Edit -- looks like he's going to Akron. Never mind.
calumnus
TheSouseFamily said:

Interesting to read that the Iowa staff has remained totally in tact for the last decade. Seems to be a high character guy who cares about players on and off the floor which certainly seems to fit with Fox's MO. Wondering if he gets the Associate HC title.

A few things gleaned from reading some comments by Iowans about the departure:

-As the youngest guy on the staff, he probably felt stagnant and wanted to keep climbing the ladder in the profession and didn't see that path at Iowa.
- He was their lead recruiter but it's also noted that Iowa's recruiting never was all that great. That said, they are/were apparently in the mix for a 5-star this cycle.

The last 7 years of Iowa recruiting (per 247 rankings). Ironically, this looks a lot like Georgia's computer rankings under Fox with most years ranked in the 50-100 range.

2018: 66th
2017: 57th
2016: 39th
2015: 79th
2014: 77th
2013: 138th
2012: 31st

Well that dampens my attempt at generating some enthusiasm. However, he was not the head coach and I could see how a guy from New York might be less effective recruiting the Midwest and/or recruiting kids from New York to Iowa. Stayed a long time though. Maybe has a family? Did they get kids from LA?
calgo430
finally some good news. he will be a much better recruiter then trent johnson.
TheSouseFamily
I wouldn't let it dampen your enthusiasm too much, calumnus. I still think it's a solid hire. I don't think Iowa is ever gonna recruit well especially with a focus on the top players in Iowa. If you see some of his interviews, he's an engaging guy and I can see him being a good recruiter for us. I'm pretty happy with this choice. No west coast connection on the staff besides Wilson (who has never recruited at a high level in CA) so it looks like a national and international approach, which may make sense for us.
bluesaxe
TheSouseFamily said:

I wouldn't let it dampen your enthusiasm too much, calumnus. I still think it's a solid hire. I don't think Iowa is ever gonna recruit well especially with a focus on the top players in Iowa. If you see some of his interviews, he's an engaging guy and I can see him being a good recruiter for us. I'm pretty happy with this choice. No west coast connection on the staff besides Wilson (who has never recruited at a high level in CA) so it looks like a national and international approach, which may make sense for us.
It's quite possible that California will sound like a more attractive place to kids from the Midwest than Cal sounds to kids already in-state anyway. I don't care where the players come from if they improve this team. I understand the value of getting to a point where you can lock down NorCal, but you have to get a good program going before that's going to happen.
Yogi58
bluesaxe said:

TheSouseFamily said:

It's quite possible that California will sound like a more attractive place to kids from the Midwest than Cal sounds to kids already in-state anyway. I don't care where the players come from if they improve this team. I understand the value of getting to a point where you can lock down NorCal, but you have to get a good program going before that's going to happen.
Right now, my goal is to just fill a roster.
stu
Yogi Bear said:

Look at the bright side - if we don't end up with 10 players then we'll be practicing 3-on-3 so the new practice facility will only need a half court.
concordtom
What happened to Kerry Keating?
He was a solid recruiter at UCLA for their final four runs: collison, Mata, Love, and more.
KK left Howland earlier than Howland wanted, who asked him to stay one more year and he'd get him any head coaching job he wanted. But KK bolted, thought Howland was nuts.
At Santa Clara, KK married and started his family, but I haven't seen where he went since being let go.
concordtom
stu said:

Yogi Bear said:

Look at the bright side - if we don't end up with 10 players then we'll be practicing 3-on-3 so the new practice facility will only need a half court.
Future potential walk-ons are holding their breaths that Fox fails this spring and summer recruiting season.
TheSouseFamily
concordtom said:

He was a solid recruiter at UCLA for their final four runs: collison, Mata, Love, and more.
KK left Howland earlier than Howland wanted, who asked him to stay one more year and he'd get him any head coaching job he wanted. But KK bolted, thought Howland was nuts.
At Santa Clara, KK married and started his family, but I haven't seen where he went since being let go.

Ironically enough, like Fox, Keating went to work for USA Basketball after being let go.
roqmoq
TheSouseFamily said:

concordtom said:

Ironically enough, like Fox, Keating went to work for USA Basketball after being let go.
Also doing some TV work with Channel 7.

https://abc7news.com/sports/abc7-sports-makes-first-ever-broadcast-from-warriors-chase-center/5201573/
concordtom
Interesting.
So they know each other. And Kerry is already established in the Bay.
Hmmm.
Not sure he'd want to be watching HS games at night rather than be with his kids, much less traveling. But he'd be good to get, I think!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.