Top Three "long-range" Shooters

4,777 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calbearinamaze
calbearinamaze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For the sake of this exercise I'm considering "long-range" to be 15 feet.with a modicum of ability to create
his owwn shot.

If you want assume Gordon to be somewhere near healthy

Here are my picks: Matt Bradley and two players to be named later.

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
calumnus
Trios!
helltopay1
Dear Bearup: The other two players have just been named: Unfortunately, Bradley just left the program and has been admitted to the Badminton program at East Scrotum New Mexico State. Also, the other two players haven't been offered scholarships---they've just been named. hope this doesn't complicate your day. I am now half-way between Walnut Creek and Berkeley. I just ran over a Sociology Professor who has been undermining Cal sports for half-a-century. Boy-----that thump felt good.
calbearinamaze
calumnus said:

Trios!
He's a great choice.

I know I may be blinded by the light (semi-desperate for any good news), but DK seems to play
with a bit of 'tude. He and Bradley on the court together is something I want see..

calbearinamaze
helltopay1 said:

Dear Bearup: The other two players have just been named: Unfortunately, Bradley just left the program and has been admitted to the Badminton program at East Scrotum New Mexico State. Also, the other two players haven't been offered scholarships---they've just been named. hope this doesn't complicate your day. I am now half-way between Walnut Creek and Berkeley. I just ran over a Sociology Professor who has been undermining Cal sports for half-a-century. Boy-----that thump felt good.
H2P,

We have problem. Sadly for them, some may view this as "gibberish".

It's difficult to know where to start, but I'll go with

"Unfortunately, Bradley just left the program and has been admitted to the Badminton program at East Scrotum New Mexico State. "

Great choice on Matt's part. Full-contact badminton has just been approved by the NCAA. Plus East Scrotum
is a hot-bed for jazz. In his spare time, MB can showcase his skillz on the trumpet.

BC Calfan
I'm in the minority here but I like Anticevich as a 3 point shooter. Yes, he went 9-27 last year. But, I don't cringe every time he shoots. He shoots in rhythm, has good mechanics and has confidence in his shot. I say give him the green light next year when open.

As for Gordon, I think he's got potential as a long range shooter but unlike Grant---he doesn't pick his spots well. I think that will come with an increased role and playing time. Hopefully coaching staff can work with him on opening him up in the flow of the offense and teaching him patience and consistency with his shot selection.

calbearinamaze
BC Calfan said:

I'm in the minority here but I like Anticevich as a 3 point shooter. Yes, he went 9-27 last year. But, I don't cringe every time he shoots. He shoots in rhythm, has good mechanics and has confidence in his shot. I say give him the green light next year when open.

As for Gordon, I think he's got potential as a long range shooter but unlike Grant---he doesn't pick his spots well. I think that will come with an increased role and playing time. Hopefully coaching staff can work with him on opening him up in the flow of the offense and teaching him patience and consistency with his shot selection.

Just a note on Jacobi

I agree with you. But, it's been painful in more ways than one to watch him play/let alone see his stats

To say the Achilles injury has held him back is an understatement. He showed a lot of heart
playing as little as he did.

TheSouseFamily
9-27 isn't that bad actually. Better than Sueing's 3-point clip in both of his seasons (30% and 31%) and just a tick below where McNeil and Vanover were (35%).
calbearinamaze
TheSouseFamily said:

9-27 isn't that bad actually. Better than Sueing's 3-point clip in both of his seasons (30% and 31%) and just a tick below where McNeil and Vanover were (35%).
TSF:

You're correct as usual.

CAL overall was 35.0% last year The previous year we were a dynamic 28.6%. Taking out Don Coleman
doesn't get us north of 30%.
SFCityBear
I agree on Anticevich. The sample size is small, but he should shoot more threes unless that determines he is not at least a 33% shooter.

If he shoots threes at 0.333, that is then 0.333 x 3 = 1.0 points per 3pt attempt. If he shoots twos at 0.457, that is 0.457 x 2 = 0.91 points per 2pt attempt. Last season he averaged one 3pt attempt and 1.7 2pt attempts per game. To maximize his scoring, those numbers should be reversed and he should be taking more 3pt attempts than 2pt attempts. However, he shoots twos at 0.457 which is not very good for a big man. He needs to shoot more twos to try and get better at it.

Last season, Sueing shot threes poorly, so he did not take too many. He took only 1.1 3pt attempts vs taking 6.7 2pt attempts. He was maximizing his output, taking enough threes to keep defenses honest, but not so many as to detract from the team offense.

Bradley was the team's best three point shooter at 0.472 percentage. That translates to 0.472 x 3 = 1.42 points per attempt. However, his two point percentage was only 0.369, which translates to 0.369 x 2 = 0.74 points per two point attempt. That is very poor, and Bradley should have been taking more threes, but instead he had only 3.4 three point attempts to 5.1 two point attempts per game. That should have been reversed to maximize his scoring. That would have been difficult, as no one else was shooting threes really well, and defenses also stopped most everything Cal tried close to the basket. Hopefully this year, coach will set up Bradley's drives better, or maybe not have him take so many drives and concentrate more on his strength, shooting threes.

It looks a little promising for Cal's perimeter shooting, adding Kuany and Demetrios, who might be able to take some defensive pressure off Bradley and get him open for more looks. If Anticevich can keep shooting threes at 33% or better, that will help as well. If Gordon can make some, that would be icing on the three point cake.

One guy who needs to cut down on his shooting, both threes and twos, is Paris Austin. He averages only 0.84 points per three point attempt, and 0.92 points per two point attempt. He should mostly stick to running offense and passing the ball to the shooters, and shoot only when wide open, IMO.
SFCityBear
Big C
BEARUPINDC said:

helltopay1 said:

H2P,

We have problem. Sadly for them, some may view this as "gibberish".

It's difficult to know where to start, but I'll go with

"Unfortunately, Bradley just left the program and has been admitted to the Badminton program at East Scrotum New Mexico State. "

Great choice on Matt's part. Full-contact badminton has just been approved by the NCAA. B In his spare time, MB can showcase his skillz on the trumpet.

Of course East Scrotum is going to have a great jazz program: Their mascot is the Sax!
ClayK
There are three-point shots and there are three-point shots.

If you're standing all alone beyond the arc because your defender is in help, the ball gets kicked to you, and you take a wind reading before shooting, that's one kind of three-pointer.

If you're coming off a screen, planting, turning and taking a three, that's a different kind.

If you're shooting over a defender who started a few feet off of you, that's a third kind.

And so on ...
bearister
Grant is going to greatly benefit from getting more minutes. I think he is going to be a good player for the Bears.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
bearister said:

Grant is going to greatly benefit from getting more minutes. I think he is going to be a good player for the Bears.
He needs to keep progressing on his footwork and, if possible, improve his lateral quickness. Sometimes his jumper looked smooth, other times, robotic. Seems to have a great attitude. We need him.

A key to the year: Getting production from Jacobi Gordon and Andre Kelly. I can picture that going either way. I hope Fox sees what he has in Kelly and decides to include him in the offense.
Intuit
what Fox has in A Kelly is dependent on Kelly's conditioning program, his position coach and his sports psychologist. He's going to get a lot of minutes I hope he is prepared to accept the responsibility.
Harborview
oskidunker
Kelly only took a few threes but he made most of them. He could be a threat if used properly
Go Bears!
calbearinamaze
oskidunker said:

Key only took a few threes but he made most of them. He could be a threat if used properly
I've been on "slow" for a variety of reasons.

I took a shot that "Key" = "Kelly" . He was 2 out of 3. He's so important....I really hope
that Fox can fix what may have been broken.
oskidunker
Yes. Kelly. Fixed. We really don't know what he can do.
Go Bears!
KenBurnski
His spirit?
Big C
oskidunker said:

Yes. Kelly. Fixed. We really don't know what he can do.
Kelly's got a nice looking stroke on his FTs and jumpers (as well as some post moves). i thought he would've been a little more motivated on BOTH ends of the court, had the previous staff involved him a bit on offense.

It's been over two months since our last game. I hope he's been using the time wisely.
Intuit
It would be appreciated if one of this site's fine pundits would prepare a commentary which discusses the off season goals and activities of the individuals on the roster, What are they doing individually to help insure that the team climbs back to respectability.
Harborview
calbearinamaze
KenBurnski said:

His spirit?
I'm afraid that may be the case.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.