Whither Wyking?

8,698 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
BC Calfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
During the doldrums of last season, I often wondered where Wyking's next gig would be. I have my doubts that he will ever be a D-1 head coach again. For all our handwringing and debate over his value on this site, the open coaching market would decide his value.

I know he may forfeit his buyout if he were to take a new job (not totally sure about this) so that could explain his disappearance. However, if not, what are his options?

Does anyone know Wyking's whereabouts?
BeachedBear
Good question. His resume indicates that he could be a strong D1 assistant, but not a HC at this time. I expect him to not take a job until Cal stops paying him (which I believe is another two seasons). Pretty sure, there is a clause in his contract that his payments stop if he gets re-employed.

Your point about the market also applies to Ron Turner, Travis Decuire and a few other hot commodities that many on this board felt were far superior to FOX (and may well be - the jury is still out on that one). Have either of them (or other names tossed out, like Dennis Gates) landed anywhere during the coaching carousel?
TheSouseFamily
I would expect Dennis Gates to be elevated to FSU head coach when Leonard Hamilton, who is 70, retires.
concordtom
So, if wyking just is a stay at home dad for a couple years, what $ does that net him?

Let's see if we can get him to join BI for when the kids are at school.
bluesaxe
BeachedBear said:

Good question. His resume indicates that he could be a strong D1 assistant, but not a HC at this time. I expect him to not take a job until Cal stops paying him (which I believe is another two seasons). Pretty sure, there is a clause in his contract that his payments stop if he gets re-employed.

Your point about the market also applies to Ron Turner, Travis Decuire and a few other hot commodities that many on this board felt were far superior to FOX (and may well be - the jury is still out on that one). Have either of them (or other names tossed out, like Dennis Gates) landed anywhere during the coaching carousel?
Typically there's just a reduction in what's owed if the new salary is less. Which I'm sure it would be.
bearister
Wyking Jones - IMDb
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0429480/

The chatter in LaLa Land is that he is being cast as a Bedouin prince in the remake of Lawrence of Arabia. His role calls for his character to drink 50 canteens of water in a desert battle scene.

philbert
bearister said:

Wyking Jones - IMDb

The chatter in LaLa Land is that he is being cast as a Bedouin prince in the remake of Lawrence of Arabia. His role calls for his character to drink 50 canteens of water in a desert battle scene.

That sounds like a role Cuonzo was born for....
Northside91
Just because he was sitting on the bench when UNM and Louisville were doing well doesn't mean he contributed to the success of those teams in a meaningful way. His only value may be that he's pleasant to talk with and communicates reasonably well with players. There are a lot of guys like that, and it probably doesn't rate better than third assistant. Factor in that WJ is fresh off a disastrous two years as a head coach, and prospects are rather slim. Having said that, I'm sure he'll get something if he wants it. The coaching profession recycles like none other.
oskidunker
Who cares.
Go Bears!
joe amos yaks
I'm hoping that Coach Jones lands a most excellent coaching opportunity.

That is the best scenario for everyone and his family.

Go Coach Jones . . . and . . .

Go Bears!
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
oskidunker
Wrong. The team that hires him will regret it. He did alot damage to Cals basketball program. There is no kumbaya.
Go Bears!
SFCityBear
bearister said:

Wyking Jones - IMDb

So self-respecting Bedouin would drink that much water in a single session. Unless it was forced on him by water torture.
SFCityBear
Big C
BeachedBear said:

I'm shuddering to think about this possibility, but didn't he have three seasons left on his contract?
bluesaxe
oskidunker said:

Wrong. The team that hires him will regret it. He did alot damage to Cals basketball program. There is no kumbaya.
There is the money angle though.
puget sound cal fan
Was that what Cal's deep review of his record yielded?
SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

Wyking Jones - IMDb

No self-respecting Bedouin would drink that much water in a single session. Unless it was forced on him by water torture.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

Not wrong at all. This is harsh, and is almost mean-spirited, and even though I very much respect your feelings about Jones as a coach, there is no call for passing more judgment on Jones than has already been passed. Jones had no intent whatsoever of doing any damage to the Cal program. He worked damn hard to make the program a success, and spent many a sleepless night worrying about it, you can bet on that. He wasn't seen chugging water and joking with his assistants at any time down the stretch of his final season. He tried his best, but he just failed at his first try at a head coaching job. He will likely never get such an opportunity again. His career might be in the tank, as far as moving up the ladder again to a head coaching job of any importance to the basketball world.

The damage Jones did do was in the way he handled some personal relationships with his players, and that affected them, no doubt. He handled the situation of Winston and McCullogh very poorly, upsetting the players and their parents, and maybe some teammates who had become friends with them. They were recruiting mistakes, but every coach has them. Kaileb Rodriguez or Khalil Johnson anyone? But to dismiss them, and not foresee the public spectacle did not reflect well on Jones and Cal. Fortunately, the kids regrouped at a lower lever under a good coach, and both had good seasons at CCSF, and probably began to enjoy the game again.

Jones also did damage in the way he handled Don Coleman, a very emotional and stubborn player, IMO, putting the weight of being called his "go-to guy" and then when it didn't work out, benching him, then playing him again. Maybe no one could handle Coleman, but Jones did exactly the wrong thing with him, IMO. Jones was no psychologist, that is apparent, IMO. Jones did other damage with the way he handled Andre Kelly, handing him a starting role, when he had others he could have just as easily used. Then he benched Kelly in favor of Vanover. He made the right decision, IMO, to bring Vanover along slowly, and not put too much pressure on him too early. It paid off. He should have done the same with Kelly, but he did not have enough bodies to have that flexibility. He also did not run any offense through Kelly. In basketball, you just can't give your shooters all the shots, and not run some of the offense through the guys who do the hard work of rebounding and defending the paint. Every player wants to score some. Kelly was hurt and upset by the benching, IMO. I expect him to bounce back this season. I think he gave Sueing the green light every time he got the ball, and I think he did bond with Sueing, which may be why Sueing did not like Fox's first speech and may have seen the writing on the wall that he would not be allowed to play with that much freedom under Fox, and thus he entered the portal and was gone. McNeill clearly was unhappy under Jones. I think McNeill was given opportunity to play point guard as a frosh, and he looked more like an off guard, calling his own number. The 2nd year he made McNeill an off guard, but he seemed to produce less without the ball in his hands. I think his lack of improvement was more on him than on Jones.

I think ii is right to blame Jones for Cal's poor seasons, but it is nothing that a new experienced coach with new players and new system can not fix. The long term damage (and we don't know yet if there will be any, or how much), is more the fault of Mike Williams who hired a novice coach who had never coached before. He got what everyone expected but hoped we would not get. I love the look of the players coming in, I like a coach who surprises us all with exciting (for me at least) recruits and a transfer, when no one thought he could do that. I like the tough-minded talk of defense from this coach. If we get a few good wins out of the gate, or we have a decent season, Wyking Jones will just become a footnote, forgotten, except by those who paid good money for season tickets to witness his demise. His last three games were fun though. Just too little too late.

I think Jones is a good big man coach. Both Vanover and Anticevich improved. That may be his best skill, and not being a head man. But if he can convince some school to hire him, why deny him that chance? He can perhaps learn from his mistakes.

SFCityBear
BC Calfan
Quote:

He worked damn hard to make the program a success, and spent many a sleepless night worrying about it, you can bet on that.
I heard the opposite. According to my sources, Theo's main point of contention with Wyking (and his appointed staff) was that they had a poor work ethic. Pretty unbelievable for a first time head coach if true.
SFCityBear
BC Calfan said:

Quote:

He worked damn hard to make the program a success, and spent many a sleepless night worrying about it, you can bet on that.
I heard the opposite. According to my sources, Theo's main point of contention with Wyking (and his appointed staff) was that they had a poor work ethic. Pretty unbelievable for a first time head coach if true.
Ii hadn't heard that.. I don't disagree with you, but I could believe a poor work ethic more of a first time head coach more easily than I could believe it of an experienced head coach, as he may not realize how much is required of him in a position new to him.

Thanks for bringing up Theo. I should also have mentioned among Jones' mistakes his handling of his relationship with Theo. Theo was seemingly thrust upon him as a condition of his contract, and Jones may have felt threatened or intimidated by a Cal favorite and popular former Cal player, but he should have handled the situation better. Bottom line is Wyking appears not to have learned much in the way of management skills, or people skills to warrant being hired as a head coach.
SFCityBear
stu
BC Calfan said:

I heard the opposite. According to my sources, Theo's main point of contention with Wyking (and his appointed staff) was that they had a poor work ethic ...

SFCityBear said:

... Bottom line is Wyking appears not to have learned much in the way of management skills, or people skills to warrant being hired as a head coach.
FWIW I'm sure these will be not problems with Charmin and her staff.
oskidunker
SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

Not wrong at all. This is harsh, and is almost mean-spirited, and even though I very much respect your feelings about Jones as a coach, there is no call for passing more judgment on Jones than has already been passed. Jones had no intent whatsoever of doing any damage to the Cal program. He worked damn hard to make the program a success, and spent many a sleepless night worrying about it, you can bet on that. He wasn't seen chugging water and joking with his assistants at any time down the stretch of his final season. He tried his best, but he just failed at his first try at a head coaching job. He will likely never get such an opportunity again. His career might be in the tank, as far as moving up the ladder again to a head coaching job of any importance to the basketball world.

The damage Jones did do was in the way he handled some personal relationships with his players, and that affected them, no doubt. He handled the situation of Winston and McCullogh very poorly, upsetting the players and their parents, and maybe some teammates who had become friends with them. They were recruiting mistakes, but every coach has them. Kaileb Rodriguez or Khalil Johnson anyone? But to dismiss them, and not foresee the public spectacle did not reflect well on Jones and Cal. Fortunately, the kids regrouped at a lower lever under a good coach, and both had good seasons at CCSF, and probably began to enjoy the game again.

Jones also did damage in the way he handled Don Coleman, a very emotional and stubborn player, IMO, putting the weight of being called his "go-to guy" and then when it didn't work out, benching him, then playing him again. Maybe no one could handle Coleman, but Jones did exactly the wrong thing with him, IMO. Jones was no psychologist, that is apparent, IMO. Jones did other damage with the way he handled Andre Kelly, handing him a starting role, when he had others he could have just as easily used. Then he benched Kelly in favor of Vanover. He made the right decision, IMO, to bring Vanover along slowly, and not put too much pressure on him too early. It paid off. He should have done the same with Kelly, but he did not have enough bodies to have that flexibility. He also did not run any offense through Kelly. In basketball, you just can't give your shooters all the shots, and not run some of the offense through the guys who do the hard work of rebounding and defending the paint. Every player wants to score some. Kelly was hurt and upset by the benching, IMO. I expect him to bounce back this season. I think he gave Sueing the green light every time he got the ball, and I think he did bond with Sueing, which may be why Sueing did not like Fox's first speech and may have seen the writing on the wall that he would not be allowed to play with that much freedom under Fox, and thus he entered the portal and was gone. McNeill clearly was unhappy under Jones. I think McNeill was given opportunity to play point guard as a frosh, and he looked more like an off guard, calling his own number. The 2nd year he made McNeill an off guard, but he seemed to produce less without the ball in his hands. I think his lack of improvement was more on him than on Jones.

I think ii is right to blame Jones for Cal's poor seasons, but it is nothing that a new experienced coach with new players and new system can not fix. The long term damage (and we don't know yet if there will be any, or how much), is more the fault of Mike Williams who hired a novice coach who had never coached before. He got what everyone expected but hoped we would not get. I love the look of the players coming in, I like a coach who surprises us all with exciting (for me at least) recruits and a transfer, when no one thought he could do that. I like the tough-minded talk of defense from this coach. If we get a few good wins out of the gate, or we have a decent season, Wyking Jones will just become a footnote, forgotten, except by those who paid good money for season tickets to witness his demise. His last three games were fun though. Just too little too late.

I think Jones is a good big man coach. Both Vanover and Anticevich improved. That may be his best skill, and not being a head man. But if he can convince some school to hire him, why deny him that chance? He can perhaps learn from his mistakes.

https://www.askamanager.org/2013/05/how-to-help-an-employee-become-less-long-winded.html
Go Bears!
BeachedBear
oskidunker said:

https://www.askamanager.org/2013/05/how-to-help-an-employee-become-less-long-winded.html
Thanks OD! I actually perused that article, because I have one of those employees. What I got from the article is that being long winded is truly troublesome for the employee (duh), but changing that habit is akin to addiction management (possible, but challenging).

Oh well. Hope splashed.
TheSouseFamily
I don't know what Wyking has been up to lately but Cuonzo has the 13th best team in the SEC.

4thGenCal
SFCityBear said:

BC Calfan said:

Quote:

Ii hadn't heard that.. I don't disagree with you, but I could believe a poor work ethic more of a first time head coach more easily than I could believe it of an experienced head coach, as he may not realize how much is required of him in a position new to him.

Thanks for bringing up Theo. I should also have mentioned among Jones' mistakes his handling of his relationship with Theo. Theo was seemingly thrust upon him as a condition of his contract, and Jones may have felt threatened or intimidated by a Cal favorite and popular former Cal player, but he should have handled the situation better. Bottom line is Wyking appears not to have learned much in the way of management skills, or people skills to warrant being hired as a head coach.
Wyking has moved to Vegas and is active in looking for an assistant position with a winning tradition/winning program to soften the losing record he oversaw with Cal. The shots of a poor work ethic amongst him/staff are laughable - hours were consistently 80+ hours/week per Wyking and he held his staff accountable for commitment on the court and also on the road recruiting. He wishes the players, program and the new staff success. He was not ready to oversee a Power 5 conference team and the hand he was dealt with ensured failure. He was effective in recruiting and the players he had committed plus future players (Bagley etc) were strongly considering Cal. Regardless time to move on from the disaster of the past 2 seasons and support a very promising new team.
Big C
For some, the combination of Vegas, lots of free time and one-million-per-year could prove disastrous. Best of luck to Wyking Jones.
HoopDreams
4thGenCal said:

SFCityBear said:

BC Calfan said:

Quote:

Wyking has moved to Vegas and is active in looking for an assistant position with a winning tradition/winning program to soften the losing record he oversaw with Cal. The shots of a poor work ethic amongst him/staff are laughable - hours were consistently 80+ hours/week per Wyking and he held his staff accountable for commitment on the court and also on the road recruiting. He wishes the players, program and the new staff success. He was not ready to oversee a Power 5 conference team and the hand he was dealt with ensured failure. He was effective in recruiting and the players he had committed plus future players (Bagley etc) were strongly considering Cal. Regardless time to move on from the disaster of the past 2 seasons and support a very promising new team.
thanks for the update and insight
59bear
BC Calfan said:

During the doldrums of last season, I often wondered where Wyking's next gig would be. I have my doubts that he will ever be a D-1 head coach again. For all our handwringing and debate over his value on this site, the open coaching market would decide his value.

I know he may forfeit his buyout if he were to take a new job (not totally sure about this) so that could explain his disappearance. However, if not, what are his options?

Does anyone know Wyking's whereabouts?
He's not in Berkeley and that's all I care about.
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

For some, the combination of Vegas, lots of free time and one-million-per-year could prove disastrous. Best of luck to Wyking Jones.
there to have severance payments avoid state taxation.
BearSD
TheSouseFamily said:

I don't know what Wyking has been up to lately but Cuonzo has the 13th best team in the SEC.

Cuonzo made the short-sighted decision to take that job just because he could immediately land two elite recruits there (by hiring their dad who wanted to go back to Missouri). The way it's going for him at Mizzou, he looks destined to soon be an ex-coach sitting in a TV studio providing commentary at halftime.
oski003
Which studio has the best bottled water?
Intuit
The Tennessee fans predictions and wishes yet may be realized; Cuonzo's unemployment. - Cuonzo is learning the truth of the axiom "you reap what you sow" Cuonzo ran but he could not hide.
Harborview
BeachedBear
BearSD said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Cuonzo made the short-sighted decision to take that job just because he could immediately land two elite recruits there (by hiring their dad who wanted to go back to Missouri). The way it's going for him at Mizzou, he looks destined to soon be an ex-coach sitting in a TV studio providing commentary at halftime.
This is year 3 for him, right? If pattern holds up, he'll be elsewhere next season.
TheSouseFamily
In all likelihood, he's not going anywhere for at least two more years because of the buyout provisions in his contract which basically guarantee that both the school and the coach are locked in for the first four years.
SFCityBear
oski003 said:

Which studio has the best bottled water?
That's a good one. He will need more water as a commentator than he did coaching a game that meant nothing for him and his career, because he was not comfortable at all in front of a microphone. He spoke only in basketball cliches, and revealed very little actual information. If he needs the money, he will be under pressure to perform and his throat may get very dry, unless he loosens up a bit.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
4thGenCal said:

SFCityBear said:

BC Calfan said:

Quote:

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad to know that Wyking was working hard, but now that you say this, I also suspect he might have been trying too hard to succeed. Here is a story told by the famous martial artist, Bruce Lee:

A young boy traveled across Japan to the school of a famous martial artist. When he arrived at the dojo he was given an audience by the sensei.
"What to you wish from me?" the master asked.
I wish to be your student and become the finest karateka in the land," the boy replied. "How long must I study?"
"Ten years at least," the master answered.
"Ten years is a long time," said the boy. "What if I studied twice as hard as ll your other students?"
"Twenty years," replied the master.
"Twenty years! What if I practice day and night with all my effort?"
"Thirty years," was the master's reply.
"How is it that each time I say I will work harder, you tell me that it will take longer?" the boy asked.
"The answer is clear. When one eye is fixed upon your destination, there is only one eye left with which to find the Way."
SFCityBear
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.