SF Pro Am 2019

7,013 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oskidunker
Chunger89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here's the annual summer thread for the SF Pro Am league. So far JHD and Andre Kelly are listed as playing on the same team. Anyone planning on checking out any games this summer?

http://www.sanfranciscoproam.com/rosters-m.html
TheSouseFamily
Thanks for doing this.

The boys are on the same team as Brandon Ashley, another guy on a long list of McDonald's All-Americans who turned into nothing after playing for Sean Miller.
Richmondbear2
Ed Grey Jr. Also on the roster
concordtom
There's an Ed Grey Junior??

Awesome!
Big C
Sometimes, the Pro Am can be good for players' development. Other times, less so. I could picture this being a good thing for JHD: Maybe he gets to work on his offensive skills in a more "free flowing" environment and can build up some confidence.
Richmondbear2
He will be a Soph at Texas A&M/Corpus Christie

Prepped at Salesian and El Cerrito
KoreAmBear
concordtom said:

There's an Ed Grey Junior??

Awesome!
Well hopefully it's Ed Gray Jr.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

Sometimes, the Pro Am can be good for players' development. Other times, less so. I could picture this being a good thing for JHD: Maybe he gets to work on his offensive skills in a more "free flowing" environment and can build up some confidence.
Didn't Stephen Domingo light it up at Pro Am right before he came to us?

That was the second best 'past performance does not lead to future success' moment for us. #1 being Nick Vanderlaan his first game for us at the Alaska pre-season tournament. He got like 17 and 11. I don't think he ever did that again in 4 years.
Richmondbear2
You're right, the Proam website misspelled it as Grey
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

That was the second best 'past performance does not lead to future success' moment for us. #1 being Nick Vanderlaan his first game for us at the Alaska pre-season tournament. He got like 17 and 11. I don't think he ever did that again in 4 years.
I saw some of Domingo's games in the SF Pro Am. I do remember him making some threes and getting some rebounds, but not particularly 'lighting it up", and he made very few threes at Cal. I was impressed enough to think he could help Cal, and was very disappointed. I should have listened to my cousin who played against him in high school, and he described Domingo as dunking everything, but not much else.

Cal has had several players who played very well in the ProAm and also at Cal like Justin Cobbs and Jabari Bird, and plenty of others in years gone by: Jason Kidd, Randy Duck, Ed Gray, Al Grigsby, Kevin Johnson, Sean Lampley, Mark McNamara, Leon Powe, and Jerome Randle.

One player who fooled me, sort of, was Robert Thurman. I saw him completely outplay Dwight Powell on both ends in one game of the Pro Am, and I came away very impressed. He disappointed at first at Cal. He did improve year by year and become a good contributor at Cal, however, something Domingo did not really do.

Tsubamoto convinced me not to put too much faith in what you see in the Pro Am games. Still it is fun to go to the games, see all the interesting players, and the local fan support from the basketball community.
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear
It's a glorified pickup league. I mean better than not doing anything.
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

It's a glorified pickup league. I mean better than not doing anything.
It doesn't attract near the talent it used to attract. It used to have a lot of NBA players,plus local players who had been playing pro overseas, and was a place here most of the local schools sent players to gain experience. Now and then all star players like Jason Kidd, Stephen Curry, and many others did cameo appearances.
SFCityBear
oskidunker
Boring. No game plan. no plays. No defense. Stopped going last year.
Go Bears!
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

Boring. No game plan. no plays. No defense. Stopped going last year.
Are you talking SF ProAM or Cal? Maybe both?
SFCityBear
oskidunker
Pro am
Go Bears!
graguna
went to the Pro Am game last night.
Saw Harris Dyson ad Kelley play.

Harris Dyson looked great on defense. pretty much the same as last year on offense.

Kelley looked a bit bigger/stronger than last year. Had some good inside moves. Still not a plus defender.

Chunger89
Bradley and South added to the South Bay roster
Chunger89
Jabari Bird and Leon Powe sightings tonight
helltopay1
south scored 28 last night..his team is 0-5.
bearchamp
How many assists? Or did they all go South?
Intuit
in attendance or playing ?
Harborview
Intuit
How did Matt Bradley do?
Harborview
helltopay1
Ursa: Have you weighed in on the GW mural?
Chunger89
Intuit said:

Jabari Bird played, scored at least 15 from what I saw. randomly spotted Powe who was sitting in the stands
CALiforniALUM
Chunger89 said:

Intuit said:

Jabari Bird played, scored at least 15 from what I saw. randomly spotted Powe who was sitting in the stands

Isn't Jabari Bird in jail or something? How is he playing after his run in with the law?
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Vaderlaan transferred to Virginia after his sophomore year.
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Eric Verniesel. I think he hit 5 threes in his first outing, and never again approached that level.
SFCityBear
Chunger89

Looks like Randle dropped by this past Monday
Chunger89
I finally had the opportunity to see JHD last night in the championships. His team is pretty stacked, with him playing alongside Juan Anderson (Marquette/SC Warriors), and some other D1/overseas players. JHD played at least 20-30 min, and was routinely assigned to defend East Bay's best player Jovan Harris. I was pretty impressed seeing him get at least 4 steals + breakaway dunks just by jumping the passing lanes.
SFCityBear
Chunger89 said:

I finally had the opportunity to see JHD last night in the championships. His team is pretty stacked, with him playing alongside Juan Anderson (Marquette/SC Warriors), and some other D1/overseas players. JHD played at least 20-30 min, and was routinely assigned to defend East Bay's best player Jovan Harris. I was pretty impressed seeing him get at least 4 steals + breakaway dunks just by jumping the passing lanes.
That sounds good, and it always is impressive when a player can do that. Those plays are exciting, and can turn a game around. However, that was the Pro-Am, and even though there are some good players in that league, there still is not much coaching, and I doubt that coaches and players study game tapes. When JHD plays against college competition, coaches will have watched film on him or will have seen him play and will know his tendencies. Such as when is he likely to leave his man alone and poach in a passing lane. Good coaches and good teams will know his tendencies and they will take advantage of him when he does leave his man to poach. You can't steal balls in the lanes and guard your man at the same time, usually, that is.

I would much rather want to hear how he guarded his man in those Pro Am games to judge how his defense is. Even though coaching and film can help a defender guard a certain player, he can learn a lot just by defending the player with no preparation. If his man beats him, does he eventually learn how to stop him or slow him down, or does his man continue to beat him? Can you shed any light on how well JHD guarded his man, one-on-one?

Another thing I'd be watching is whether JHD can defend well without getting in foul trouble, as he has done at Cal. I expect him to improve on making less fouls with some teaching from Fox, who is known as a good defensive coach.
SFCityBear
TilWeWobble
The SF Chronicle reported that JHD lead his team in the first playoff game with 28 points and had 17 in the previous game. Can anyone confirm?
smokeyrover
https://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/cals-juhwan-harris-dyson-leads-dream-team-to-sf-pro-am-win/amp/
SFCityBear
smokeyrover said:

https://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/cals-juhwan-harris-dyson-leads-dream-team-to-sf-pro-am-win/amp/
Thanks for this. The Dream team is usually coached by Dean "the Dreamer" Maye. Maye is a very good coach, who coached Balboa to a City Championship and he is probably imparting some of his wisdom to JHD. Maye played point guard and was as good as anyone who ever came out of the city. He also played 2 years at CCSF for Brad Duggan, another fine coach. He relates really well to players, and it looks like JHD is listening. JHD might have been one of those players who did not perform well for Wyking Jones but may blossom under other coaches I never questioned how hard he was playing, if he can continue that, along with better coaching, it could be interesting to see how he fits into the Cal team this year. He will be a junior, and that means he could be one of the leaders at Cal this season, hopefully.
SFCityBear
oskidunker
all layups???
Go Bears!
TilWeWobble
I wondered the same thing: all dunks and other lay-ups? I'll be there tonight to see for myself.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.