Cal basketball related.

4,268 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Civil Bear
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Go Bears!
GBear4Life
I just have a hunch Fox will prove to have been a very good hire. Could be a perceived affinity bias on my part, though.

Nice to see MBB going to work this summer!

KoreAmBear
GBear4Life said:

I just have a hunch Fox will prove to have been a very good hire. Could be a perceived affinity bias on my part, though.

I believe after the initial scare and uncertainty that all players feel with a new head coach -- which probably was the tipping point for those that left -- I have a sense that the players look super happy and are seeing that this guy is not the devil, but on the contrary, knows what the hell he's doing to get them to a good place. I really am excited for this group.
Bear8995
I admit I was less than blown away by the hire initially. After meeting him, I am very optimistic. Dude is intense and seems to have a solid plan for building the program. He just seems like a coach. I would have my kid play for him if my kid were good enough to play at Cal.

I hope he is successful and around for a long time.
graguna
Everyone I know who makes their living around the game of basketball thought Fox was an ideal hire for CAL. Only negativity was from the people on this board. I take that with a grain of salt as people here never seem to be happy with anything.
PtownBear1
graguna said:

Everyone I know who makes their living around the game of basketball thought Fox was an ideal hire for CAL. Only negativity was from the people on this board. I take that with a grain of salt as people here never seem to be happy with anything.
You may want to go back and read the media clippings. I believe the most frequently used term was "head scratcher" when Fox was hired. I don't recall any sports writers praising the hire.
GBear4Life
Cal had two choices. Go with an "up-and-coming" mid major HC with no history of failure, or a veteran P6 HC with a track record of success but most recently failed. Anybody better than this profile is not coming to Cal. Normally a P6 reputable assistant head coach with zero HC experience is a sensible option but after Wyking I doubt Knowlton considered anybody with this profile, which I understand.

We'd all be more excited at the former option because we superficially like the idea of never being fired over being fired, but Fox, in many ways, has a profile that Cal is lucky to have.
GBear4Life
graguna said:

How can one ever be happy if constantly triggered when their diversity doctrines aren't met?
SFCityBear
PtownBear1 said:

graguna said:

You may want to go back and read the media clippings. I believe the most frequently used term was "head scratcher" when Fox was hired. I don't recall any sports writers praising the hire.
If I had a dollar for every column that a sportswriter wrote praising the hiring of a coach who ended up failing, or criticizing the hire of a coach who turned out to be successful, I could buy a meal at a high end restaurant. How some of those guys make a living is beyond me. It is very hard to accurately predict success or failure in a new coach, based entirely on past record. Sometimes a new school, new bosses, new assistants, new players, a new league can make a world of difference. Some local sportswriters were critical of the Newell hire, and many were very critical of the hire after his first season, a losing one. Some were critical of the Waldorf hire. Some praised the Herrerias hire, the Edwards hire, the Kuchen hire, the Bozeman hire and the Cuonzo hire. They were skeptical of the Wyking hire, with good reason. Like the saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Nowadays, it is wise to be skeptical of most opinions in the media, even in the field of sports.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
GBear4Life said:

graguna said:

How can one ever be happy if constantly triggered when their diversity doctrines aren't met?
Now you've done it. There goes the thread.
SFCityBear
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

GBear4Life said:

I believe after the initial scare and uncertainty that all players feel with a new head coach -- which probably was the tipping point for those that left -- I have a sense that the players look super happy and are seeing that this guy is not the devil, but on the contrary, knows what the hell he's doing to get them to a good place. I really am excited for this group.
A good litmus test will be Andre Kelly, who was supposedly threatening to leave if WJ was retained. Well. now he's got a new guy in there, one that's probably going to demand that he work his butt off in the off-season and defend like a maniac during the season. How's he going to respond to that? Well, it's been 3 months + since Fox was hired. I feel like, if we could get a glimpse of how Kelly's doing in S & C, we'd have a feeling for how he's responding. Here's a guy who COULD be a competitive Pac 12 player, if he works at it and takes to coaching.
GoOskie
SFCityBear said:

GBear4Life said:

graguna said:

Now you've done it. There goes the thread.
Buzzword Bob AKA GBear4Life, enjoys using trumpian jargon in all of his posts. It makes him very happy. You might know him as Jargon Joe or Drivel Dave.
graguna
PtownBear1 said:

graguna said:

sorry, I wasn't referring to writers. I should have been more specific. I have a few friends who are scouts, front office, etc.
PtownBear1
graguna said:

PtownBear1 said:

graguna said:

sorry, I wasn't referring to writers. I should have been more specific. I have a few friends who are scouts, front office, etc.

Interesting. Well hopefully they'll be proven right. So far I think many of us that were whining have been pleasantly surprised with Fox's staff and last minute recruiting. He seems to have a vision that could work well here with the international recruiting focus.
HKBear97!
SFCityBear said:

PtownBear1 said:

graguna said:

If I had a dollar for every column that a sportswriter wrote praising the hiring of a coach who ended up failing, or criticizing the hire of a coach who turned out to be successful, I could buy a meal at a high end restaurant. How some of those guys make a living is beyond me. It is very hard to accurately predict success or failure in a new coach, based entirely on past record. Sometimes a new school, new bosses, new assistants, new players, a new league can make a world of difference. Some local sportswriters were critical of the Newell hire, and many were very critical of the hire after his first season, a losing one. Some were critical of the Waldorf hire. Some praised the Herrerias hire, the Edwards hire, the Kuchen hire, the Bozeman hire and the Cuonzo hire. They were skeptical of the Wyking hire, with good reason. Like the saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Nowadays, it is wise to be skeptical of most opinions in the media, even in the field of sports.

And if I got a dollar for every time you worked Newell into one of your posts, I could buy that high-end restaurant and let you have a dinner for free.
joe amos yaks
HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

PtownBear1 said:

graguna said:

And if I got a dollar for every time you worked Newell into one of your posts, I could buy that high-end restaurant and let you have a dinner for free.
Maybe it's time you all got off the Mediterranean diet. It's falafel.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
helltopay1
Dear HK: You sound funny and....young.
southseasbear
HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

PtownBear1 said:

graguna said:

How is Newell not relevant to a discussion on quality of coaching. He was the best coach in our program's history (though Nibs Price, highly successful in the pre-NCAA tournament era, was no slouch) and one of the best coaches in college basketball history. If only health issues had not forced him to retire so young.
AunBear89
GBear4Life said:

graguna said:

Oh, just shut up already. Bad enough you flood OT with this nonsense... Keep your Reich Wing virtue signaling to OT.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Civil Bear
AunBear89 said:

GBear4Life said:

Oh, just shut up already. Bad enough you flood OT with this nonsense... Keep your Reich Wing virtue signaling to OT.
^^^Telling someone a week later to shut up^^^
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.