warriors new arena

6,729 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by going4roses
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://instagr.am/p/B0MLVtrJuiXC0OFmc-pIwKGJxK0CDTetZXCYdE0

GBear4Life
Looks amazing.

Should be a hoot to drive downtown traffic on game nights.

And even if I were wealthy, I would never pay NBA ticket prices.
BearDown2o15
GBear4Life said:

Looks amazing.

Ticket prices aren't that bad. My coworker went to a couple Warriors games this year and I believe the tickets were around $450 a piece.
south bender
BearDown2o15 said:

GBear4Life said:

Looks amazing.

Ticket prices aren't that bad. My coworker went to a couple Warriors games this year and I believe the tickets were around $450 a piece.
A steal!
79 Bear
It will be a much different crowd and I very much doubt Chase will be as loud and raucous as Oracle has been. I think it's a shame and a travesty that Lacob et al. has moved the team (geographically and financially) away from much of its long devoted fan base. The Warriors in Oakland have been one of the most valuable sports franchises ever. This move could very well kill the golden goose.
caltagjohnson
This will be a corporate even. Not a fan event. For a family of four you are looking at over $2,000. Ridiculous. Regular season NBA basketball is boring. Stick to college.
GBear4Life
Why do people who don't really care about basketball or the Warriors pay these prices??? I like both and won't pay it. I will never understand it. And frankly, the majority of the seats are trash compared to a front row seat view in front of a 75" 4K TV.
BeachedBear
GBear4Life said:

Why do people who don't really care about basketball or the Warriors pay these prices??? I like both and won't pay it. I will never understand it. And frankly, the majority of the seats are trash compared to a front row seat view in front of a 75" 4K TV.
I'm as baffled as you. I don't have W's tix, but I have had 49ers tix for a long time - lot of the same trends,but ****tier results. About 15% of the folks near us are regulars (either season ticket holders or obvious fans). The remaining 85% are a mix of visiting fans, corporate events or locals obviously experiencing a near once in a lifetime event for them (maybe the boss gave them the corporate seats). Not at all like college atmosphere.

I've been a ticket holder for decades and I will scream out loud that they are too expensive and a rip off. Why do I renew? Mainly because I share with another small business owner, who is a close friend. Out of the 8 home games, we take our kids each once a season, the rest of the time, we take a client or try and sell them. Other than the Superbowl year, we seriously consider unloading them every season since moving from the Stick.

Anyway, I imagine the W's are similar but more pricey and exclusive.
BearSD
BeachedBear said:

GBear4Life said:

I'm as baffled as you. I don't have W's tix, but I have had 49ers tix for a long time - lot of the same trends,but ****tier results. About 15% of the folks near us are regulars (either season ticket holders or obvious fans). The remaining 85% are a mix of visiting fans, corporate events or locals obviously experiencing a near once in a lifetime event for them (maybe the boss gave them the corporate seats). Not at all like college atmosphere.
The bolded part was true for me both times I went to a 49ers game.
RichyBear
To put it in perspective, in 1968 I went to a Warrior playoff game in Oakland. I got 2 tickets on game day at the Arena for $5 each. Parking was $1.
BTW- The Warrior beat the St. Hawks by 1 point on a last second shot by Jeff Mullins.
Big C
GBear4Life said:

I am both, too, and won't pay it either. A lot of folks in this area have a lot of $$$ to throw around these days and the Warriors have been the flavor of the month for the past few years. It's a house of cards. When the Warriors come back down to earth, the environment there is going to be tepid and half-empty. If the economy tanks, even more so. I will laugh.
bluesaxe
79 Bear said:

It will be a much different crowd and I very much doubt Chase will be as loud and raucous as Oracle has been. I think it's a shame and a travesty that Lacob et al. has moved the team (geographically and financially) away from much of its long devoted fan base. The Warriors in Oakland have been one of the most valuable sports franchises ever. This move could very well kill the golden goose.
The Warriors became one of the most valuable franchises AFTER Lacob and Gruber took over, and part of the valuation has been the new arena, which the W's own. The team's fans have been diehards for decades, but it's not like all of those fans are from Oakland. Most aren't.
GBear4Life
bluesaxe said:

79 Bear said:

The Warriors became one of the most valuable franchises AFTER Lacob and Gruber took over, and part of the valuation has been the new arena, which the W's own. The team's fans have been diehards for decades, but it's not like all of those fans are from Oakland. Most aren't.
Plus, people who are from Oakland leave Oakland
joe amos yaks
RichyBear said:

To put it in perspective, in 1968 I went to a Warrior playoff game in Oakland. I got 2 tickets on game day at the Arena for $5 each. Parking was $1.
BTW- The Warrior beat the St. Hawks by 1 point on a last second shot by Jeff Mullins.
Hi there. Were Zelmo Beaty and Bill Bridges on that Hawks team?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
bearister
I'm seeing 50% of The Who there on October 9. I will feel like a traitor to my hometown. I will have to shower the treasonous taint off when I get home.....and we all know what .....is, don't we?*

* There can never be enough opportunities in life to use that word. It makes me giggle.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
RichyBear
oe amos yaks
In reply to RichyBear 2:18p

Quote:

RichyBear said:
Hi there. Were Zelmo Beaty and Bill Bridges on that Hawks team?

Yes, so was Richie Guerin. It was suppose to be one of the best Hawk teams ever. The Warriors were winless or had only 1 win against the Hawks in the regular season. The Warriors upset the Hawks 4 games to 2 in the playoffs. I was listening on the radio when the Warriors won game six. Bill King said, "Thank You Warriors, for not making me go back to St. Louis."
HoopDreams
I hope Cal markets to the east bay warriors fans who won't follow them to SF
GBear4Life
HoopDreams said:

that would be wasted marketing dollars.

so I'm sure Cal will do that.
Big C
GBear4Life said:

HoopDreams said:

that would be wasted marketing dollars.

so I'm sure Cal will do that.
lol
79 Bear
bluesaxe said:

79 Bear said:

But if ticket prices are going to be significantly higher I anticipate that will affect the make-up of the crowd. During the playoffs (when ticket prices are highest) the crowd was noted by players and media to be less vocal than usual. Will the crowd in SF be as loud as the fans before them?

I realize ticket prices have not been cheap in Oakland in recent years but they are looking to be even more expensive at Chase and that will certainly affect the demographics of attendees. Perhaps Lacob and Gruber have this figured out. It remains to be seen.

All I know is that the Oracle fans were historically very loud and supportive. Tim Roye often commented on that, as did others. It was often said that the Oracle crowd was one of the loudest and most supportive in the NBA. I suspect a lot of that had to do with the fact that fans waited a long time for the team to perform as it has in the past 5 years. Now that they are coming off of a great run, with a much different team in the coming season, at a new location, with higher ticket prices, it will be interesting to see how the fans react. I hope the fan support continues. We will see soon enough.
ClayK
The crowds won't be the same, the team won't be the same, the atmosphere won't be the same ...

But as long as the Bay Area economy keeps humming, the profits will be much greater.
bluesaxe
79 Bear said:

bluesaxe said:

79 Bear said:

But if ticket prices are going to be significantly higher I anticipate that will affect the make-up of the crowd. During the playoffs (when ticket prices are highest) the crowd was noted by players and media to be less vocal than usual. Will the crowd in SF be as loud as the fans before them?

I realize ticket prices have not been cheap in Oakland in recent years but they are looking to be even more expensive at Chase and that will certainly affect the demographics of attendees. Perhaps Lacob and Gruber have this figured out. It remains to be seen.

All I know is that the Oracle fans were historically very loud and supportive. Tim Roye often commented on that, as did others. It was often said that the Oracle crowd was one of the loudest and most supportive in the NBA. I suspect a lot of that had to do with the fact that fans waited a long time for the team to perform as it has in the past 5 years. Now that they are coming off of a great run, with a much different team in the coming season, at a new location, with higher ticket prices, it will be interesting to see how the fans react. I hope the fan support continues. We will see soon enough.
That's all true. It happened at the Coliseum when they renovated and shipped everyone to San Jose for a year, screwed longtime season ticket holders out of their seniority status, and raised prices. It happened when what is now Oracle Park in SF opened and the Giants left Candlestick. Eventually the crowds in both places got better again.

Studies show that winning is the biggest driver of fan interest. Oracle Arena has the rep of the fans being supportive and vocal even with a losing team. But I had season tix there for 20 years and tit was really only special in the years that the team was at least decent. Any other season the place was half full of visiting fans for anyone good, and though tickets were sold there were a lot of empty seats. We got really tired of all the Lakers, Kings, Bulls fans during those years. So some of the Oracle crowd stuff is myth. Playoff games I've never been anywhere louder.

Sad fact is that all major league sports are pricing themselves out of the typical family budget, and Oracle was doing the same the last few years. I just hope the team can sustain its success like the Spurs have. If that happens the place will eventually become a good home arena I think.
HoopDreams
https://instagr.am/p/B0iLQFLnCK9
bearister
roqmoq
That's all true. It happened at the Coliseum when they renovated and shipped everyone to San Jose for a year, screwed longtime season ticket holders out of their seniority status, and raised prices. It happened when what is now Oracle Park in SF opened and the Giants left Candlestick. Eventually the crowds in both places got better again.

I had season tickets at the Coliseum when Chris Mullin joined the Dubs. When the games were played in San Jose, there was no choice to opt out and retain my status at the renovated Coliseum. As a result, because I did not want to travel 50 miles one way for 41 games, I did get not my seats back. What they offered were tickets at a higher price and a requirement to join the stadium club for an additional fee. I did not renew.

BearSD
Quote:

Sad fact is that all major league sports are pricing themselves out of the typical family budget, and Oracle was doing the same the last few years.
That's the downside for fans. The upside is that the same ownership that hoovers up all this money is also willing to have four players on max contracts, and pay far more "luxury tax" than any other team. That's something that not even a super-fan owner would do if his arena was not one of the top 5 money generators in the NBA.
ClayK
Great point ... you can keep prices low, generate less revenue and lose games.

Or you can generate as much income as possible, sign the best possible players (pay the luxury tax) and be a contender.

joe amos yaks
bearister said:

Barry with the great Jeff Mullins in the background?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
bluesaxe
ClayK said:

Or you can generate as much income as possible, sign the best possible players (pay the luxury tax) and be a contender.

There were fools all over who considered Bobby Rowell a sharp NBA business mind because the W's were profitable while constantly losing. The never noticed the fact that it was the luxury tax distributions and league tv contracts making that happen, or the massive potential the franchise offered if anyone actually gave a damn about building a team. Lacob et al. taking over for Cohan was the biggest thing in the history of the franchise.
bearister
....and to think, that icehole Cohan quadrupled his investment the day he sold the Warriors.
Yogi011
bearister said:

....and to think, that icehole Cohan quadrupled his investment the day he sold the Warriors.
It comforts me knowing he had to give a large portion of it to the IRS though
GBear4Life
ClayK said:

it's particularly funny when people complain about outrageous salaries of players and wealth of the owners as they pay $500 for game tickets wearing a $150 throwback NBA jersey and subscribe to NBA TV lol
bearister
BearNakedLadies said:

bearister said:

It comforts me knowing he had to give a large portion of it to the IRS though

As you know, really rich guys never pay taxes. Paying taxes is for chumps.
GMP
GBear4Life said:

Looks amazing.

Half the size of ATT/Oracle. And I'd guess even less car traffic, because there is less parking toward Chase than there is at ATT/Oracle. Traffic impact will be negligible, is my guess.
going4roses
https://m.sfgate.com/local/article/Warriors-chase-center-traffic-mission-bay-ucsf-14285455.php

Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.