Klonaras's Greece U18 team wins first game in EuroBasketball competition

4,928 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calumnus
Intuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
this afternoon Dimitrios Klonaras's Greece U18 team played in their initial EuroBasket championship competition. Their first game was versus Latvia. After a tightly contested 3/4s Greece pulling away in the final quarter and won by a comfortable final score of 82 - 74. Tomorrow they face off against France, the other undefeated team in their bracket.

Unfortunately could not find a box score so can't provide detail on Klonaras's play.
Harborview
calumnus
Intuit said:

this afternoon Dimitrios Klonaras's Greece U18 team played in their initial EuroBasket championship competition. Their first game was versus Latvia. After a tightly contested 3/4s Greece pulling away in the final quarter and won by a comfortable final score of 82 - 74. Tomorrow they face off against France, the other undefeated team in their bracket.

Unfortunately could not find a box score so can't provide detail on Klonaras's play.

8 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists
stu
Intuit said:

box score

In 22 minutes he made 4 of 5 twos but missed all 5 threes. Also 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 1 foul.
calumnus
stu said:

Intuit said:

box score

In 22 minutes he made 4 of 5 twos but missed all 5 threes. Also 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 1 foul.

Full game video: https://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2019/videos/Greece-v-Latvia-Full-Game
Big C
U18... Is he actually under 18, or, in that league, do you just have to not be 18 by a certain past date? The reason I'm wondering is, a LOT of the top prep player in the US are 18 1/2, even 19 by the time they arrive in college. If Klonares is really not 18 yet, it might indicate that he has more of an upside than a lot of guys.
sluggo
Big C said:

U18... Is he actually under 18, or, in that league, do you just have to not be 18 by a certain past date? The reason I'm wondering is, a LOT of the top prep player in the US are 18 1/2, even 19 by the time they arrive in college. If Klonares is really not 18 yet, it might indicate that he has more of an upside than a lot of guys.
Because I can use other parts of the internet I will tell you he was born 2/27/2001, so he is 18.5 right now. U18 means born in 2001 or later. The under part is as of the beginning of the calendar year.

Sluggo
Big C
sluggo said:

Big C said:

Because I can use other parts of the internet I will tell you he was born 2/27/2001, so he is 18.5 right now. U18 means born in 2001 or later. The under part is as of the beginning of the calendar year.

Sluggo
Thanks and your arithmetic is as good as your internet use! Sounds like DK, at 18 1/2, will be about the typical age for an incoming freshman athlete.

(I learned from my kid's sports activities that eligibility for U8 in soccer is calculated quite differently than U8 baseball, which is why I was wondering how the U18 was determined.)
CALiforniALUM
Big C said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

Sluggo
Thanks and your arithmetic is as good as your internet use! Sounds like DK, at 18 1/2, will be about the typical age for an incoming freshman athlete.

(I learned from my kid's sports activities that eligibility for U8 in soccer is calculated quite differently than U8 baseball, which is why I was wondering how the U18 was determined.)
Perhaps Sluggo doesn't use his wennie, except while on the internet, so he doesn't have real life kid experience. I can appreciate your question because U designations area a guessing game based on the US experience.
SFCityBear
We've been waiting for the results of game #2 vs France for a few days. Anyone know what happened in that game?
SFCityBear
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

We've been waiting for the results of game #2 vs France for a few days. Anyone know what happened in that game?

Here is the link:
https://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2019/team/Greece
calbearinamaze
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

Here is the link:

Thank you.

Demitrios scored 3 points on 3 for 4 from the line...in only 1:31. Let's hope he wasn't injured.
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
calumnus
BEARUPINDC said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

Here is the link:

Thank you.

Demitrios scored 3 points on 3 for 4 from the line...in only 1:31. Let's hope he wasn't injured.

He appears to be the eighth man, but his minutes have been decreasing with each game. He is now averaging 5 pts in 11 minutes of play.
Intuit

FIBA U 18 News Quarter Final Results

7/31/2019 Lithuania 66 Greece 70

Tournament tracker: Greece use a 29-4 fourth quarter to delete a 13-point deficit (Klonaras did not play)

Next Game Semi-Finals Saturday August 3

Greece vs Spain

Harborview
calbearinamaze
Intuit said:

FIBA U 18 News Quarter Final Results

7/31/2019 Lithuania 66 Greece 70

Tournament tracker: Greece use a 29-4 fourth quarter to delete a 13-point deficit (Klonaras did not play)

Next Game Semi-Finals Saturday August 3

Greece vs Spain

From what I've been able to garner, the likelihood is that he has an injury of some. kind.
I hope it's nothing. I have really good feelings about him.
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
Intuit
Greece was beat handily by Spain today - Greece 54 70 Spain

Boxscore shows D Klonaras with 0 attempts, 0 points, 1 rebound in 3.26 minutes of play

Greece plays Slovenia Aug 4rth

Harborview
Big C
Intuit said:

Boxscore shows D Klonaras with 0 attempts, 0 points, 1 rebound in 3.26 minutes of play

Klonares being on the court at all is a good sign (as opposed to the rumors that are going around).
calbearinamaze
Intuit said:

Thank you for being on top of this.
calumnus
Played 4 minutes in the loss to Slovenia where he was 0/1 shooting, had 2 rebounds, 1 PF and one T/O.

Greece finished 4th.
https://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2019/player/Dimitrios-Klonaras

Big C
Time for him to get the heck out here, so we can keep tabs on him easier. Opa!
helltopay1
Dear Big C: Rumors???Never leave your readers hanging.
Big C
helltopay1 said:

Was talking about Klonares and the injury he sustained a couple of weeks ago in Europe, playing for his U18 national team. There were some reports that it might have been something serious, but now seems as though he will be able to play this fall. Time for ALL these guys to be in Berkeley, under our watchful eyes!
calumnus
Big C said:

helltopay1 said:

Was talking about Klonares and the injury he sustained a couple of weeks ago in Europe, playing for his U18 national team. There were some reports that it might have been something serious, but now seems as though he will be able to play this fall. Time for ALL these guys to be in Berkeley, under our watchful eyes!

Where was it reported he was injured?
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

helltopay1 said:

It was speculated in this very thread. He played for a couple of minutes early in one game, was running up numbers, then suddenly got no more minutes and missed the next game or two. HoopDreams posted on the premium board that it was hinted in an IG post of his that the injury might perhaps be rather serious. But he has since played in some of his other games over there, so it can't be too serious, I guess.

And this is why I'd like to see him get out here, because we won't really know until then.
calumnus
Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

helltopay1 said:

It was speculated in this very thread. He played for a couple of minutes early in one game, was running up numbers, then suddenly got no more minutes and missed the next game or two. HoopDreams posted on the premium board that it was hinted in an IG post of his that the injury might perhaps be rather serious. But he has since played in some of his other games over there, so it can't be too serious, I guess.

And this is why I'd like to see him get out here, because we won't really know until then.

I saw the speculation, but didn't know it had been confirmed anywhere. Thanks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.