Mobley Jr and Sr to $C

3,480 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LACalFan
LACalFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's amazing this stuff still goes on.

Quote:

On Monday, the package was completed. USC had been the clear favorite to land Evan Mobley since hiring his father, and no other schools were truly involved during the latter stages of his recruitment.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27327491/no-1-2020-prospect-mobley-commits-usc
Bobodeluxe
Why do you hate America?
LACalFan
I'll soften my stance if Beau has a 5 star QB son.
Big C
... or if there is an 18 yr old Marty Wilson, Jr with amazing ability, whose goal is to graduate from Cal in four years, before he takes the NBA by storm
Yogi011
Big C said:

... or if there is an 18 yr old Marty Wilson, Jr with amazing ability, whose goal is to graduate from Cal in four years, before he takes the NBA by storm
There better not be an amazing David Grace, Jr.
OneTopOneChickenApple
Wanna bet that as soon as his sons are through at USC, Eric Mobley will be gone also?
TheSouseFamily
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

Wanna bet that as soon as his sons are through at USC, Eric Mobley will be gone also?

You could be right but Michael Porter Sr is at least still on the staff at Mizzou despite both of his kids being gone. One interesting similarity between Mobley and Porter is that both were coaches in the women's game prior to getting their gigs at USC and UW/Mizzou. Porter was an assistant for the Mizzou women's team and Mobley was the HC of the Rancho Christian HS varsity girls team (along with coaching the Compton Magic AAU team):
LACalFan
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

Of course he'll be gone. It's a win win for both $C and the Mobleys; the program gets the #1 rated player in the country and the family is paid + dad gets a nice bump on his resume.
Big C
BearNakedLadies said:

Big C said:

There better not be an amazing David Grace, Jr.
If there is, it will give some poster the excuse to write "TypiCAL".
KoreAmBear
LACalFan said:

We should have hired Otis when we had the chance. We could have gotten 4-5 more 5* from North Carolina.
LACalFan
So true!
BearSD
LACalFan said:

It's amazing this stuff still goes on.

There's a rule about it and this is legal under the rule because the parent is a full-time assistant coach.

Quote:

NCAA Bylaw 11.4.2 - Individual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete -- Men's Basketball. In men's basketball, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete's anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete's actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department non-coaching staff position.
LACalFan
Yeah, I know it's allowed. Tough loophole to close.
Bjorn91
These things rarely work out well. The Porter's accomplished little for Missouri; as a recent example.

The one counter is, of course, Danny Manning back in the 80s.
HoopDreams
Onyeka Okongwu is also a very good player, and being the ex-Compton Magic AAU coach will mean he has good recruiting value even after his sons leave
Yogi011
KoreAmBear said:

LACalFan said:

We should have hired Otis when we had the chance. We could have gotten 4-5 more 5* from North Carolina.
LOL. I still laugh at the amount of space wasted on that guy.
BearSD
LACalFan said:

It is. The current rule has tightened the loophole quite a bit. Without this rule, a college team could hire a star player's parent, high school coach, AAU coach, etc. to any random job that required little or no work. At least now a college basketball team has to use up one of its only three assistant coaching positions if they want to give a job to a recruit's parent or coach.
LACalFan
BearSD said:

LACalFan said:

It is. The current rule has tightened the loophole quite a bit. Without this rule, a college team could hire a star player's parent, high school coach, AAU coach, etc. to any random job that required little or no work. At least now a college basketball team has to use up one of its only three assistant coaching positions if they want to give a job to a recruit's parent or coach.
I didn't realize there are only 3 positions available. With the way the rule stands now only an elite recruit is worth it, unless the father has something to offer as a coach, or in this case an AAU recruiting pipeline.
KoreAmBear
Bjorn91 said:

These things rarely work out well. The Porter's accomplished little for Missouri; as a recent example.

The one counter is, of course, Danny Manning back in the 80s.
For the amount of talent that he's had access to, Cuonzo has done very little.
TheSouseFamily
BearSD said:

LACalFan said:

As I mentioned on the Premium board, USC didn't even have an open assistant position when they brought on Mobley. They had to reassign one of the existing assistants to a "director of scouting" role in order to make room and comply with the rule.
LACalFan
TheSouseFamily said:

BearSD said:

LACalFan said:

As I mentioned on the Premium board, USC didn't even have an open assistant position when they brought on Mobley. They had to reassign one of the existing assistants to a "director of scouting" role in order to make room and comply with the rule.
I wouldn't be surprised if he got a raise with that demotion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.