The Elam Ending

2,384 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UrsaMajor
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I watched a couple TBT games and saw the Elam Ending in action.
For those who don't know (like me a couple of days ago), the Elam Ending is that with the first stoppage with four minutes to go in the game, the game clock goes off. The shot clock remains. A "target" score is implemented - at TBT, it was set at eight points above the leading team's score. So, if the score were 60-54, the "target" is 68. First team to hit the target wins.
In the Carmen's Crew v. Overseas Elite, this had the effect that when Carmen's Crew got within 2 points of the target, it seemed like their previously flowing offense descended into a "get a basket anyway you can" - and Overseas Elite started to come back. Carmen's Crew did eventually get the basket.
I haven't seen any analysis of whether the Elam Ending "improves" the game - it did seem to reduce the amount of fouling by the trailing team - because points are at a premium, so giving up even 1 of 2 at the FT line could be costly.
I wonder if the NCAA would experiment with the Elam Ending in some "pre-season" or "exhibition" game.
stu
I like it. Why not play the whole game that way, say the first team to score 80 wins?
CALiforniALUM
TV would hate that.
SFCityBear
stu said:

I like it. Why not play the whole game that way, say the first team to score 80 wins?

With a Wyking Jones team in the lead, the game could have gone on until the wee hours of the morning.
SFCityBear
BearSD
stu said:

I also like it -- the reason for not playing the entire game that way is so all games will still take about the same amount of time. There would be too much variance (for TV's taste) in game length if the entire game was played to a set score.
bearmanpg
You're absolutely right BearSD.....some teams may take several days to score 80 pts.....
UrsaMajor
SFCityBear said:

stu said:

With a Wyking Jones team in the lead, the game could have gone on until the wee hours of the morning.
First of all, unlikely they' be in the lead. 2ndly, with WJ's defense, they'd lose quickly anyway.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.