Dyson's huge pro am game

3,270 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oski003
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/cals-juhwan-harris-dyson-leads-dream-team-to-sf-pro-am-win/
Big C
Maybe this will give him some confidence. I hope he has a great last two seasons for us.
bearinMN
Take off that red shirt
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

Maybe this will give him some confidence. I hope he has a great last two seasons for us.
Yah I think it's about confidence. We all know he has to work on his shot, but there is no reason why he couldn't be taking it to the rim all the time with his athleticism.
oskidunker
No one will guard him on the perimeter so driving and scoring will be problematic. The pac 12 plays a little better defense than the proam.
Go Bears!
helltopay1
Oski is right...teams will slack off him on the perimeter, so almost all of his points will come on put-backs and fast-break lay-ups. also, he NEEDS to stay out of foul trouble. He is a rotational player. A good rotational player but, a rotational player nonetheless.
Yogi011
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Yah I think it's about confidence. We all know he has to work on his shot, but there is no reason why he couldn't be taking it to the rim all the time with his athleticism.
Of course there is a reason.
Californication
Huh? If he can't shoot and his dribble remains questionable, he will rarely be able to penetrate because his defender will not defend his shot and sag back and block any attempt to drive. I'm sure his game is great for summer league stuff but when teams actually play defense and they scout the opposing players, his offense will disappear. Here's to hoping he's working on his shot and handle.
SFCityBear
The OP linked to an article on JHD's performance in game one of a three-game championship series. Does anyone know how JHD performed in game 2?

The SF Pro Am website is a mess, but at least it does show that JHD's Dream Team won game 2 and the championship. I can't find press coverage anywhere.

It would be interesting, because although the Pro Am does predict future success for a player, at least this opponent would have had experience playing against the Dream Team and JHD, and since JHD torched them for 28 points in the first game, presumably they would have adjusted their defense to stop JHD from doing that again.
SFCityBear
Yogi011
SFCityBear said:

It would be interesting, because although the Pro Am does predict future success for a player
If there is one thing that can be said for the Pro Am, it's that it definitely doesn't predict future success for a player.
graguna
I saw JDH play in the Pro Am last year and again in the first Pro Am game this year. In neither game did he score more than 10 points. The fact that after working with CAL's new staff for a few weeks, he is dropping 17 and 28 in these games gives me hope that he has turned a corner.

No, the Pro Am is nothing like the PAC 12 but improvement is improvement.
TilWeWobble
I saw the last game, hoping to see another big offensive outburst from JHD; didn't happen. Got two early fouls so his minutes were limited in the first half. Didn't take an outside shot all game (I did leave two minutes early but he was on the bench by then). His problem, in part, was he was playing basketball (i.e., pass, screen for others, move) and everyone else was playing street ball. Juan Anderson constantly demanded the ball and rarely did anything but drive and shoot. JHD missed his only free throw and had a couple lay-ups. Worked on defense, rare in a Pro=Am game, but was a non-factor in his team's championship win. I thought over-all level of play was down this year so don't know what to make of JHD's two prior high scoring games which I did not see.
SFCityBear
TilWeWobble said:

I saw the last game, hoping to see another big offensive outburst from JHD; didn't happen. Got two early fouls so his minutes were limited in the first half. Didn't take an outside shot all game (I did leave two minutes early but he was on the bench by then). His problem, in part, was he was playing basketball (i.e., pass, screen for others, move) and everyone else was playing street ball. Juan Anderson constantly demanded the ball and rarely did anything but drive and shoot. JHD missed his only free throw and had a couple lay-ups. Worked on defense, rare in a Pro=Am game, but was a non-factor in his team's championship win. I thought over-all level of play was down this year so don't know what to make of JHD's two prior high scoring games which I did not see.
Thanks for going to the game, and the report on JHD.

Even if JHD does not develop much scoring ability with his jump shot, his effort of working hard, especially on defense, will likely win him some minutes with a defense-minded coach like Mark Fox is reputed to be. It is always good to have a guy who can come off the bench and shut down a player who might be hot, or come in and steal some balls and get some breakaways started. Bernie Simpson on Cal's NCAA Champion, Dennis Gates, Jorge Gutierrez as a frosh, or an A.J. Diggs. They can't stay on the floor very long, but they can come in and kick-start a team that might be struggling a bit. JHD does have to work on controlling his aggression to avoid too many fouls.
SFCityBear
concordtom
helltopay1 said:

Oski is right...teams will slack off him on the perimeter, so almost all of his points will come on put-backs and fast-break lay-ups. also, he NEEDS to stay out of foul trouble. He is a rotational player. A good rotational player but, a rotational player nonetheless.
Oskidunker > oski003
+1000
concordtom
oskidunker said:

No one will guard him on the perimeter so driving and scoring will be problematic. The pac 12 plays a little better defense than the proam.
KEZAR PAVILION With 30 seconds to go in the first game of the best-of-three San Francisco Pro-Am championship series, and the crowd on its feet at Kezar Pavilion, Cal guard Juhwan Harris-Dyson slammed home his fourth dunk in three minutes.

Dream Team, led by 28 points from the Golden Bears' junior, beat East Bay 104-94 to take a 1-0 lead in the series heading into game two Wednesday night.

Dunk for show,
shoot 3's for dough.
oski003
concordtom said:

helltopay1 said:

Oskidunker > oski003
+1000

If you can't help yourself, at least keep this petty stuff in off-topic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.