Tom Henderson, who has the most famous forefinger in Cal hoops history, in trouble

1,689 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bearister
dbush518
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Oakland-businessman-partners-indicted-in-alleged-14365121.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headlines

Henderson was a forward for the Bears in the mid-60s and in a game against UCLA inadvertently poked Lew Alcindor (now Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) in the eye, causing some significant but temporary damage. The following weekend UCLA went to Texas and played Houston with Elvin Hayes. Alcindor was obviously not close to 100 per cent because of the eye and the Bruins lost, ending one of their Wooden win streaks. Everyone anticipated a riveting rematch in the NCAAs, but come tournament time Alcindor was right again and the Bruins blew the Cougars out.
I saw Henderson several times at football tailgates, but not for a couple of years.
ClayK
I thought that might be him ...

So here's a weird little factoid. Tom was the best player for Piedmont when I was at Acalanes -- and he had to miss a crucial game against the mighty Dons because ... wait for it -- someone had scratched his eyeball.
bearister
Tom now has something in common with Bruce Lee...they both injured Kareem. I wonder if the eye poke is a good offensive move in the hoosegow exercise yard?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.