When your son in 8th grade drives himself to his games

2,653 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ColoradoBear
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In search of an edge, elite basketball prospects are repeating a grade in middle school

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/13/search-an-edge-elite-basketball-prospects-are-repeating-grade-middle-school/

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Go!Bears
With a shout out to "former longtime basketball coach" Todd Bozeman
bearister
Go!Bears said:

Would that be Todd "I paid $30G's for a PG that dribbled the ball at chest level" Bozeman?
calumnus
bearister said:

Go!Bears said:

Would that be Todd "I paid $30G's for a PG that dribbled the ball at chest level" Bozeman?

Except it wasn't his money (he was still only making $100k) the money for Jelani came from an agent who was Jelani's uncle and lived nearby in LA. Same agent Bozeman had previously reported to the NCAA for giving a subsidized car to Tremaine Fowlkes.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1995-10-06-sp-53976-story.html%3f_amp=true

The charges against Bozeman were brought to the NCAA by Jelani's parents after Jelani lost the starting PG role. After Bozeman plead guilty, the sexual harassment and other charges brought against him by a young woman introduced to him by....Jelani Gardner, were dropped. Legal charges involving the "Friends Helping Friends" ponzi scheme were also dropped.

Because Cal was on probation, Jelani was able to transfer to Pepperdine and play immediately without losing a year of eligibility.
TheSouseFamily
The irony of the trend of holding kids back is that another trend is kids "reclassifying" in the other direction by going to college "early" and foregoing their senior year of HS. Oregon just picked up a top 15 2020 player who decided to start college now. Regardless, as someone who was 16 when he started at Cal, I'm astonished by how old some of these freshman are these days.
bearister
Going to Australia to play pro ball is another option.
SFCityBear
If kids will be driving themselves to their games, that will allow parents to get their own lives back again (or allow them to get a second job, which maybe necessary, with college fees rising faster than inflation). And with self-driving cars, many kids will be able to drive themselves anywhere they want to go.
Big C
TheSouseFamily said:

The irony of the trend of holding kids back is that another trend is kids "reclassifying" in the other direction by going to college "early" and foregoing their senior year of HS. Oregon just picked up a top 15 2020 player who decided to start college now. Regardless, as someone who was 16 when he started at Cal, I'm astonished by how old some of these freshman are these days.
It might not actually be irony, because it might be the same folks: First they repeat a year (and/or start Kindergarten late) to get that competitive edge. But, if they turn out to be REALLY good, they reclassify to start college (and then, hopefully, the pros) early. They're masters of timing! Good parenting in the 21st century!
TheSouseFamily
Yeah you're probably absolutely right about that.
bearister
The toughest 3 years in the kid's life, 8th grade.
dal9
bearister
dal9 said:

That guy should be careful, it didn't work out so well for the last comic into drink driving jokes.

"We don't want to drink and drive... But there's no other way to get the ****ing car back to the house! How are we supposed to get ****ing home?"

Sam Kinison

ColoradoBear
calumnus said:

bearister said:

Go!Bears said:

Except it wasn't his money (he was still only making $100k) the money for Jelani came from an agent who was Jelani's uncle and lived nearby in LA. Same agent Bozeman had previously reported to the NCAA for giving a subsidized car to Tremaine Fowlkes.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1995-10-06-sp-53976-story.html%3f_amp=true

Why would Jelani's uncle funnel money through an intermediary to give it to his nephew? That makes no sense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.