Story Poster
Cal Basketball

Cal Announces Men's Hoops Pac-12 Schedule

September 12, 2019

The Pac-12 has officially announced the conference slate for the 2020 men’s hoops season. Cal’s 2020 conference regular season will begin exactly where the 2019 regular season ended and Mark Fox and the new coaching staff will get a taste of the Cal-Stanford rivalry from the get-go as the Bears open conference play with a trip to Stanford on January 2nd at 8 p.m. The game is set to be on ESPN2 or ESPNU.

The rest of the schedule is typical of Pac-12 protocol. After the Stanford tilt, the Bears play host to the two Washington schools followed by away games in Los Angeles against UCLA and USC. Cal returns home for the second game with Stanford and then games against Oregon and Oregon State for a three-game homestand to close out January and open February.

It’s a fairly favorable schedule for the Bears. Drawing the Arizona schools at home and the Los Angeles schools on the road will help considering Arizona and Arizona State are projected to be much better than USC and UCLA. Arizona is projected 28th in the pre-season Torvik projections. Arizona State is at 58th. UCLA and USC are projected 90th and 77th, respectively. 

Overall, the Torvik projections average for Pac-12 teams Cal will play at home is 83. For away games the average is 92. There’s a long time between now and the start of conference play, but it’s obviously favorable to have teams projected to finish better at home. We’ll have more coverage of what to expect from this year’s Cal hoops team as well as what to expect from the rest of the conference in the coming weeks.

Discussion from...

Cal Announces Men's Hoops Pac-12 Schedule

4,923 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calbearinamaze
75bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lots of afternoon and very early evening conference games this season - very kid friendly. I'm happy for that!
SFCityBear
Not playing UCLA at home in Haas is a real bummer. The PAC12 is one thing, but why cheapen the century-long rivalry between Cal and UCLA, or Cal and USC? These are the enemies, and I want to see us stomp them.

What is Cal's "Torvik Projection"? And who or what is "Torvick" anyway?

And the photo was not a good look. If that is Kelly, he looks like he has gained considerable weight in the off-season, which he did not need to do. And it looks like he is still not getting above the rim. The shot was probably taken by a photographer from the Stanford Daily.
RJABear
Happy to see the first game at Stanford. When we had to host, that early game has felt like a waste of our home court. Attendance is poor. People were still tied up with the holidays.
joe amos yaks
The Torvik Projection is from sacred data and secret formulas compiled by Bart Torvik. It is his BARTHAG coefficient.

Torvik might be using the Israeli method of denying the possession of a secret technology or that it even exists.

He ranks Cal at #132 with a BARTHAG coefficient of .5848 , but that's just a guess because it "doesn't really exist".
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
UrsaMajor
SFCityBear said:

And the photo was not a good look. If that is Kelly, he looks like he has gained considerable weight in the off-season, which he did not need to do. And it looks like he is still not getting above the rim. The shot was probably taken by a photographer from the Stanford Daily.
since the photo is in a game uniform, I'm pretty sure it's from last season (but I agree that it sucks).
Big C
SFCityBear said:

Not playing UCLA at home in Haas is a real bummer. The PAC12 is one thing, but why cheapen the century-long rivalry between Cal and UCLA, or Cal and USC? These are the enemies, and I want to see us stomp them.

Agree 100% about not playing UCLA here. And isn't it the second time in, like, the past 3-4 years? That's just wrong.
calbearinamaze

SFCityBearNot playing UCLA at home in Haas is a real bummer. The PAC12 is one thing, but why cheapen the century-long rivalry between Cal and UCLA, or Cal and USC? These are the enemies, and I want to see us stomp them.

In his spare time,Torvik's an attorney.

I had an interaction with him last year. When I find errors on a website, I alert the admin.
Well, Torvik has a rather bizarre miscue. I told him it would be a simple fix two or three times...
he didn't fix it and, in the process, he got really peeved at me.

What is the error?

Click on http://barttorvik.com/tranketology.php
Click on "FAQ Etc." at the top
Click on "About Me"

****Back in the day that was called being Rickrolled.****
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
Chabbear
Basketball fans might not care about a minor sport like women's volleyball but the men's game against Cal Baptist on Friday 11/5 at 7pm has forced the volleyball game against UCLA to 2pm from its already scheduled time of 5pm! That is pretty ****ty in my book.
Civil Bear
"It's a fairly favorable schedule for the Bears. Drawing the Arizona schools at home and the Los Angeles schools on the road will help considering Arizona and Arizona State are projected to be much better than USC and UCLA. "

I'm not sure it is favorable for Cal to play the stronger teams at home. Coming off the last two years they need all the wins they can get. It's not like they'll be challenging for a conference title.
oskidunker
I am not enamored with ucla. Could care less if we play them in haas.
Go Bears!
calbearinamaze
joe amos yaks said:

The Torvik Projection is from sacred data and secret formulas compiled by Bart Torvik. It is his BARTHAG coefficient.

Torvik might be using the Israeli method of denying the possession of a secret technology or that it even exists.

He ranks Cal at #132 with a BARTHAG coefficient of .5848 , but that's just a guess because it "doesn't really exist".
MORE FROM TORVIK

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=California&year=2020

High-Lights?????

1. Our record will be 12-18
2. DUKE 82 CAL 70 at MSG
3. split with Furd

Possible problems with using anything on the page (at least) as any more than extremely
light entertainment

1.Of scholarship players, he leaves Demitrios and Lars off the roster. That in itself is not major.
However, it's in the context of predicting the results of games...those 2 guys may actually have some
impact on the results.****

2. I appreciate that he notes the Schedule/Results Section "is a work in progress"
Recommendation 1. Entirely omit it for now
Recommendation 2. If you insist on its inclusion, please replace "1-01" as the date
for two-thirds of the games......with UNK (unknown) or NA (not available) . That's just silly.

****He does accept corrections to the roster. (I'm certainly not going to try to correct him again...so go for it)

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.