Story Poster
Photo by KLCfotos
Cal Basketball

Mark Fox Snags First 2020 Recruit

October 9, 2019

Working in extreme stealth-mode, Mark Fox has secured his first commitment of the 2020 recruiting class. Monty Bowser, a 6-6 or 6-5 (depending on the news source) wing out of Bishop O’Dowd High School in Oakland. Bowser chose the Bears over offers from San Diego State, UC Davis, Grand Canyon, and a slew of other California-based mid-major programs.

Bowser is a three-star recruit ranked No. 238 by 247Sports. He’s also ranked the No. 42 small forward and No. 28 player in California for the 2020 class.

Bowser looks like he could use some time in the weight room, but has a quick and high release and an ability to knock down outside shots. He also shows finesse around the rim. (Watch for No. 24 in white in the video below.)

https://youtu.be/VXOf65FGF0I

As long as there are now transfers during or after this season (never a guarantee in college hoops, especially with a new staff), Cal will have two open scholarships as Paris Austin and Kareem South are set to graduate. Bowser’s commitment seems to be a piece in filling South’s spot as he is more of an off-the-ball scoring guard and Austin is a bit more of a point guard.

The Bears also wait on the decision of four-star recruit Jamal Mashburn Jr. out of Brewster Academy in New Hampshire. The 6-2 guard is reportedly making a decision on Monday, October 14 between Minnesota and Cal. For what it’s worth, the majority of 247Sports crystal ball projections have Mashburn Jr. going to Minnesota. Mashburn Jr. visited Berkeley in September and followed that with his second official visit to Minneapolis. 

Discussion from...

Mark Fox Snags First 2020 Recruit

12,680 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HoopDreams
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Go Bears! Looks like a kid with a lot of upside.

Our first head to head win over Grand Canyon! JK I know San Diego State wanted him, so that's a good sign.
sosheezy
Saw him last January as a junior when O'Dowd played Berkeley High. He played inside a decent amount because O'Dowd sat some of their bigs but had a nice touch from outside and could handle a bit. Was able to get up on a nice dunk. Still a bit of a babyface so definitely room grow, get stronger and more explosive.
GBear4Life
I think it's kind of interesting how a HC determines who and when to offer scholarships to.

With mid-tier prospects who you like, you know if you offer him as the only major conference school, he'll probably commit right away. You're also risking a scholarship for 4-5 years on a guy who a) may not end up an impactful player and b) there may be a better player available you'd rather offer to later in the process.

The risk vs reward, and projecting who will be available that would consider your program as they mull over the decision, has got to be a difficult process.
TheSouseFamily
GBear4Life said:

I think it's kind of interesting how a HC determines who and when to offer scholarships to.

With mid-tier prospects who you like, you know if you offer him as the only major conference school, he'll probably commit right away. You're also risking a scholarship for 4-5 years on a guy who a) may not end up an impactful player and b) there may be a better player available you'd rather offer to later in the process.

The risk vs reward, and projecting who will be available that would consider your program as they mull over the decision, has got to be a difficult process.

He looks athletic and has good size and fluidity so I think he could end up being a contributor for us.

But to your point, I'd guess that he was very recently offered and basically accepted on the spot. Fox went after a lot of top players and nobody's really bit, which is to be expected. Currently, we're showing only 9 pending offers and just about all of them are pioe dreams with the exception of Mashburn and even he appears to be a strong Minnesota lean. So I think Fox saw the writing on the wall and went to the next tier. That said, Bowser is rranked the 2nd best senior in the Bay Area (top 250 nationally) and had a recent strong performance at the NorCal Clash game, which is why most of his offers have come in over the last month or so, including (presumably) ours. He's always publicly acknowledged on Twitter his offers but never did so with ours, so I think this all happened quickly. Could be wrong.
GBear4Life
TheSouseFamily said:

GBear4Life said:

He looks athletic and has good size and fluidity so I think he could end up being a contributor for us.

But to your point, I'd guess that he was very recently offered and basically accepted on the spot. Fox went after a lot of top players and nobody's really bit, which is to be expected. Currently, we're showing only 9 pending offers and just about all of them are pioe dreams with the exception of Mashburn and even he appears to be a strong Minnesota lean. So I think Fox saw the writing on the wall and went to the next tier. That said, Bowser is rranked the 2nd best senior in the Bay Area (top 250 nationally) and had a recent strong performance at the NorCal Clash game, which is why most of his offers have come in over the last month or so, including (presumably) ours. He's always publicly acknowledged on Twitter his offers but never did so with ours, so I think this all happened quickly. Could be wrong.
Cool insight, thanks.

What I suspected was, Fox saw this kid "rising" and foresaw possibly more Power conference offers coming, and thought it made sense to come in strong with an offer asking him to commit.
Big C
Maybe he's an OKG, too! (Hopefully one that's blowing up.)
SFCityBear
I also like the fact that the Bishop O'Dowd connection is still strong, with Rabb, Austin, and now Bowser. It is nice that we are in the mix for Bay Area players, which I think began in modern times with Monty landing Jabari Bird.

Is Bowser related to the Bowser in the TV Infomercials for Time-Life '50s Rock and Roll CD recordings? I hope so. Other than the Straw Hats , we haven't had decent music in the gym since the Campanelli era, with "Louie, Louie."

BTW, that O'Dowd team looks like it could use a Rabb or an Austin. I wish Cuonzo had signed Austin so he and Rabb could play some together at Cal, if Cuonzo permitted it and let them free wheel it. I have a feeling that at O'Dowd they made each other better. At Cal, the chemistry and coaching was never right for either of them, IMO. This is Austin's last season at Cal, and I hope he makes it a good one.
oskidunker
I once asked the band to play louie louie again many years ago. I even offered to donate some money but the refused. They said Lew Campanelli was gone and it was basically a high school song. So i gave up. It used to energize the crowd.
Go Bears!
calumnus
oskidunker said:

I once asked the band to play louie louie again many years ago. I even offered to donate some money but the refused. They said Lew Campanelli was gone and it was basically a high school song. So i gave up. It used to energize the crowd.

In honor of our new coach they should play:

I think the students would get into it.
joe amos yaks
Why don't you request "Stairway to Heaven" with AD Knowlton and Chancellor Christ doing vocals?

. . . or "Baby Shark".
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
calumnus
sosheezy said:

Saw him last January as a junior when O'Dowd played Berkeley High. He played inside a decent amount because O'Dowd sat some of their bigs but had a nice touch from outside and could handle a bit. Was able to get up on a nice dunk. Still a bit of a babyface so definitely room grow, get stronger and more explosive.

His shooting form looks good. Anybody know his 3pt percentage at BOD?

Welcome to Cal Monty B!

Go Bears!
tequila4kapp
If you are going to miss on the top targets and have to reach, it's good to do it on a local kid.
sosheezy
Not sure but the stroke looked smooth. On the BOD side, RIP to Coach Phelps, who passed away on Wednesday, 10/2 after a battle with Parkinson's.
puget sound cal fan
It's a matter of evaluating talent and attitude. This recruit shows flashes of skill and talent that exceed his 3-star tag, and he possesses the physical tools to become more even more productive. S&C, coaching and development could yield an important contributor for the Bears. Ivan and Austin continuing to counsel him sure doesn't hurt, either.
CALiforniALUM
calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

In honor of our new coach they should play:

I think the students would get into it.
I could see the fox song taking off. Too bad there isn't a bear verse, but the song is ripe for being remastered. This would be something you would want to have the students practice and have the background music piped into the arena.
oskidunker
Stupid song.
Go Bears!
BeachedBear
oskidunker said:

Stupid song.
That was the intention. Those guys are Norwegian comedians.
calumnus
BeachedBear said:

oskidunker said:

Stupid song.

And the students are millennials, they will all know this stupid song and would get into it for the irony.
oskidunker
Please no. I watched half of it and turned it off. Once gain, who is your audience in Haas? 50 Students or the senior citizens who buy the tickets?
Go Bears!
parentswerebears
Really, it should be the college kids who go to the games. I don't see any Cameron Crazies over the age of 25-30. But you're right. Students at Cal don't go to games. I have been there and felt like one of the youngest people in the stands and I am in my early forties. That's in my mind one of the biggest problems with sports at Cal. Nobody who is actually going to Cal goes to games. You, sir, SHOULD be the minority. But you're not and Cal has sucked for so long that only old people have any connection to Cal basketball.
BeachedBear
calumnus said:

BeachedBear said:

oskidunker said:

Stupid song.

And the students are millennials, they will all know this stupid song and would get into it for the irony.
Agreed
helltopay1
Bowser, according to 24/7 sports, is a 2* player. looking at his offers, he presents as a mid-major athlete. That's fine, as long as you are a mid-major school. He wasn't offered by St. Mary's Santa Clara or USF. Color me very underwhelmed. our next recruit better be at least a high3* PG. Otherwise, let's schedule Ivy league schools.
TheSouseFamily
helltopay1 said:

Bowser, according to 24/7 sports, is a 2* player. looking at his offers, he presents as a mid-major athlete. That's fine, as long as you are a mid-major school. He wasn't offered by St. Mary's Santa Clara or USF. Color me very underwhelmed. our next recruit better be at least a high3* PG. Otherwise, let's schedule Ivy league schools.

Nope. He's a 3 star, both in 247's own rating and their composite rating.

https://247sports.com/Player/Monty-Bowser-46077009/
helltopay1
dear Souse family: if I were a lawyer ( in no other profession is it acceptable to lie for a living) I would say that, what you stated is " distinction without a difference." He still presents as a barely minimal mid-major player. Naturally, he may improve..
TheSouseFamily
helltopay1 said:

dear Souse family: if I were a lawyer ( in no other profession is it acceptable to lie for a living) I would say that, what you stated is " distinction without a difference." He still presents as a barely minimal mid-major player. Naturally, he may improve..

He's still a top 250 recruit nationally and his stock has risen considerably the last few months. Let's see how his senior season plays out. And surely you don't think USF, Santa Clara, etc routinely get top 250 players, do you?
helltopay1
St. Marys has been out-recruiting Cal ever since bennett took over--also, frankie Ferrari from USF was one of the best local PG's I've seen in a long time--he may look like Lee Harvey Oswald, but he totally dismantled Cal the entire game.
HoopDreams

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.