My predictions for Cal 2019 basketball season

2,250 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by stu
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Relax....I'm just kidding.

Cal played a good game tonight against MWC team. I like Kelly and grad transfer South.
UrsaMajor
Agree, Abd I really like the "newe" JHD
calgo430
we will average more points per game this year then last year. should result in more wins. i like our start. go bears
bearister
Like the Raiders and Niners, Bears have a good shot to exceed pre season expectations (slated to finish 12th).
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
MilleniaBear
I was surprised by the speed of JHD's hands last night. Got a couple of great strips.
bearister
MilleniaBear said:

I was surprised by the speed of JHD's hands last night. Got a couple of great strips.

He has elite athletic skills.
SFCityBear
bearister said:

MilleniaBear said:

I would say elite athletic talent. Needs to work on developing skills, basketball skills like dribbling, passing, shooting. He has good court sense on defense, like knowing where the ball is going, and he gets his hands on a lot of balls. That part can't be taught, and he already has it I suspect he studies opponent player's tendencies before playing a game against them. Either that, or he is very quick, or both.
Pigskin Pete
bearister said:

MilleniaBear said:

If skills are running and jumping, sure.
bearister
SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

MilleniaBear said:

I would say elite athletic talent. Needs to work on developing skills, basketball skills like dribbling, passing, shooting. He has good court sense on defense, like knowing where the ball is going, and he gets his hands on a lot of balls. That part can't be taught, and he already has it I suspect he studies opponent player's tendencies before playing a game against them. Either that, or he is very quick, or both.

If you have read my other post on the subject you will understand why my comment omitted the word "basketball."
SFCityBear
bearister said:

SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

MilleniaBear said:

If you have read my other post on the subject you will understand why my comment omitted the word "basketball."
I'm sorry, but I didn't see it. I do like him, especially his energy and commitment to defense, and he can get to the basket and finish. He has a lot of potential, and his injuries and his illness, along with not having good coaching, have sure hampered his early career. I'm looking forward to his last two years under better coaching and pray he stays healthy, so he can realize that potential.
KoreAmBear
SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

MilleniaBear said:

I'm sorry, but I didn't see it. I do like him, especially his energy and commitment to defense, and he can get to the basket and finish. He has a lot of potential, and his injuries and his illness, along with not having good coaching, have sure hampered his early career. I'm looking forward to his last two years under better coaching and pray he stays healthy, so he can realize that potential.
JHD is definitely a wild card for us.

In the first two years under Wyking, I think he had no idea what to do with the ball on offense. Now he seems to have an idea, and that would be to attack the seams or turn the corner with his speed and athleticism. I think we have enough shooters where he doesn't have to worry about mid-range game, but if that comes too, even better. He can be an elite defender though, and I hope Fox develops that.
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

MilleniaBear said:

JHD is definitely a wild card for us.

In the first two years under Wyking, I think he had no idea what to do with the ball on offense. Now he seems to have an idea, and that would be to attack the seams or turn the corner with his speed and athleticism. I think we have enough shooters where he doesn't have to worry about mid-range game, but if that comes too, even better. He can be an elite defender though, and I hope Fox develops that.
It really presents a problem for opponents when you have a player who can come in off the bench and disrupt a game or even turn it around with a few good defensive plays. Cal's '59 NCAA Champs had a guy like that, Bernie Simpson. All the starters were elite defenders, but Simpson took defense to another level, He was a shut down defender. And then there was Dennis Gates. Or A.J. Diggs. Diggs was not a great athlete, or even a good basketball player, but he could come into a game where Cal was behind, and get a couple of steals immediately, and turn a game around. He could steal a basketball off almost anybody. You can probably think of more examples. I think JHD is more athletic and has more potential than any of the ones I just mentioned.
stu
SFCityBear said:

You can probably think of more examples.
Jorge Gutierrez, Jason Kidd. They were starters but Jorge came off the bench as a frosh.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.